Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingering

Options
  • 05-05-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

:pac:

Tee-hee

Now that I have your attention...I have become the latest addition to the stick-owners-brigade with the purchase of a TE stick - I now look the part of a Street Fighter player (the actual skills will follow I'm sure :) ).

Really liking it so far - haven't had too many problems with the switch and doing fireballs like I had heard of. Also, have to adjust to not having my 3xButtons at easier access - yes, they're only an inch away but it's not quite as accessible as pad and I should probably learn to live without them.

I am seeking advice regarding finger placement. PPC sent me on a good article about making the switch and it has a good focus on the joystick grip. HOWEVER, I have six buttons and five fingers (and my pinky shouldn't really be included there...stupid useless pinky!). Most buttons I'm grand for - can grab, focus, etc. But Heavy Kick is a little more awkward, especially when trying to put it into a moveset. Also, do ye have to switch entire hand down to lower buttons for using the kicks (or Super / Ultra) or are there tips and tricks?

Thanks from all the stick newbies!

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I keep my index, middle and ring slightly bent and on the kick buttons.
    Then for punches I just straighten out the fingers. Much the same way I learned to type.

Funnily enough as with typing my fingers now kinda do their own thing and I don't even think about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I'm no stick pro or anything, I'm still adjusting myself but personally, I use all five fingers for the buttons. My thumb hovers over LK, index, middle and ring fingers for the punches and the little finger on the fourth button (yes yes, I am a freak because I like to use 3xPs / 3xKs :rolleyes:). I use the little finger to shuffle between HK, 3xKs and 3xPs. The only button I haven't really sussed out properly is MK and I can't really remember which finger I use (thumb or middle finger). I'm very much missing the pad for the button layout since it definitely felt a lot easier to shuffle around the kicks and punches but Dash Uppers are a rarity with a pad :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Index, middle and ring are slightly bent and resting on punches, if i need to hit kicks i bring them back so they're going straight down.
    For throws, FA and taunts i'll use my fingers on the punch button, and thumb for the kick button.
    I never use the 3x buttons.

As for holding the joystick, index and middle on the front of the ball, and thumb on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Basically, you play until your fingers do what you want them to subconsciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend :D

That and its just a matter of practice and time, your hand will naturally find whats its most comfortable. Like Kiki said its just about becoming habit forming, with time the correct finger presses come out without thinking about hand or button placement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

People shouldn't fuss about what way to hold stick/buttons, or what is right or wrong. After some experimenting you just find what suits you. It personally took me a couple of days and I'm flying now (been on stick just over a month), the change to stick is a great experience :pac:

Also I don't see why you say your pinky shouldn't be included, there's no common ground, what works works! I personally use my pinky even though I have/use 6 face buttons. Your muscle memory will catch on regardless once you find a grip that suits you and you're happy with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Time and Practice = Muscle Memory +1
    Tournament Experience = Pressure Management +1

This is from someone who's **** but knows why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I literally crush the stick with my left hand so my knuckles are white and HAMMER the buttons with as much force as I can muster with my right hand.

No idea why, it just feels right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You so old-school! :pac:

I wonder if Ry still has his SFAC American-style stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You so old-school! :pac:

I wonder if Ry still has his SFAC American-style stick...

Farz owns that. He still has it as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement