Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown Investigates

Options
  • 05-05-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Thought this might of of interest here. Should be interesting.

Starts next Monday at 10 on Channel 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Interesting indeed. Derren Brown is quite the skeptic, but I'm sure Channel 4 will be keen to push the paranormal stuff. It'll probably come to a nice conciliatory conclusion, like "there's lots of charlatans out there, but we can't explain everything"

With any luck it'll be up on YouTube 10 minutes after it airs so that I can watch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

It will be interesting to see what he makes of it alright. He has some knowledge of how the mind works thought so it will be good to see his interpretation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Thank you!

I heard about this but couldn't find out when it was on!

It will be very interesting to see what he makes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

have to admit, I have a lot of time for mr brown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cool, looking forward to this. But as Dave! said, it will probably be a case of Derren saying at the end, there is no such thing as ghosts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I can't say i enjoy any of his shows, but i will watch this. I think the more interesting thing will be the other subjects in the paranormal, rather than the medium thing which is rather dull now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

This should be very interesting, I was lucky enough to be at one of his live shows recently and it was probably the best show of any kind that I've ever been to, so I will be very interested to hear what he makes of it all.

We know exactly what he's going to say about all of the mediums, and I would tend to agree, so really I'm looking forward to his insight into the paranormal.

Again this is a TV show :-) You wont get any insight into paranormal. If you watch a Paranormal TV show , you wont get any insight into paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Just to state that I enjoyed that tonight. Very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

What was the verdict? Been on kind of a Derren Brown binge the last few days after discovering a bunch of his series on 4 on Demand. The guy's a master of psychology and understanding body language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Joe Power got very defensive on a number of occasions which didn't help his case.

Brown gave an insight into different techniques that can be used.

Maybe there are genuine psychics out there but i think any medium/psychic thats starts looking for money has to be taken with scepticism.

That was rubbish really . He didnt really prove anything. I am still waiting to see his "scientific" experiment.

The only impressive part was Darren giving the girl from Hollyoaks a reading. Well i thought it was impressive untill i reamembered she was famous and you can probably read her story in OK magazine.

It was rubbish really . Its a "skeptics" most haunted show. No real science at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I enjoyed it. I really like Derren Browns stuff although that dude seemed like an easy target. He was obviously trying to cold read a lot of the time. As for Derrens reading of the actress i'm sure he was just clued in from OK or Heat or somewhere but wasnt that the point he was getting accross. He said he has no powers.

Did anyone else get reminded of an episode of phoenix nights when he was working the large crowd in the pub.

i recorded it but havent had a chance to watch it yet. I was hoping it wouldnt end up as Dre has said, since its pretty easy to prop up a few easy to knock down targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

That "Medium" had no more psychic powers than the man in the moon. Very clear he was cold reading and in the first reading he did it was revealed that his sister lived next door to the sitter. He refused the scientific test also because he couldnt get an oral responce from his subject. He was a decent showman no doubt but a total fraud in my opinoin.

ah - ghosthunter lou looks like another easy target. pity he didnt meet up with jason hawes or someone instead.

still - if you pick on crap psychics and orb loving ghosthunters sure you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

That guy is in it purely for the money. If he is genuine would he have hotlines on his website charging £1.50 a minute and then a disclaimer stating "for entertainment purposes only"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The only impressive part was Darren giving the girl from Hollyoaks a reading. Well i thought it was impressive untill i reamembered she was famous and you can probably read her story in OK magazine.

Yeah, I didn’t get the whole Hollyoaks thing.
    Why did Derren go there?
    I mean I could give them all a reading if I knew I was going there and spent 5 mins on Google beforehand,
    So Miss up and coming star who is in Hello and Heat every second week, I get a sense that you will be on TV this week and you also had a big drunken fight and broke up with your boyfriend recently outside of The Ivy in London while not wearing any underwear at 3.30am, also you have a birthmark on your front butt. Is this correct? Yes yes that is amazing mister medium sir, It’s like you’re in my head.”

If you treat the show as entertainment then its fine and interesting. But Derren really did pick an easy target this week. I’m looking forward to see how the rest of the series goes as I do find Derren entertaining and interesting usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

But surely 99% of these mediums are easy targets? As in this guy seems to be better then allot of ones that pop up in any city world over.

Colin fry or someone to that level even if true isn't going to stick his neck out and possibly end his career.

His overreaction to derren pulling him up on the mini really did him no favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

That was rubbish really . He didnt really prove anything. I am still waiting to see his "scientific" experiment.

It was rubbish really . Its a "skeptics" most haunted show. No real science at all .

well ye would have if Joe didnt refuse to do it
    and it wasnt scientific, it only would have shown if Joe was using Cold reading, which he was

and i dont think brown would have read about her, he just gave her general info that would apply to a lot of famous girls her age, nothing special at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

event wrote: »
    well ye would have if Joe didnt refuse to do it
    and it wasnt scientific, it only would have shown if Joe was using Cold reading, which he was

and i dont think brown would have read about her, he just gave her general info that would apply to a lot of famous girls her age, nothing special at all

Yeah but interestingly he told her he had no special powers, did a cold reading, and she still said in the interview afterwards that she thought Derren was psychic. This proves that some people will accept any effort at cold reading no matter what they are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

^ One thing that I noticed after the second guy's reading (The guy who plays Gilly :o).
    Joe got the whole bike thing completely wrong (For one thing, come on, everyone fell off their bike as a kid, that was either going to be an uneventful scrape of the knee, or a dramatic broken arm event. Joe was hoping for the latter, it didn't happen. You could see Derren practically scoff at Joe when he started off with such a basic, obvious thing)
    Anyway, once Joe got the Grandmother thing (Guy in early-mid 20s, it's not rocket science that he might have lost a grandmother recently). Tells him that she's proud of him for "what he's doing now". His acting, any study he's doing, any relationship he's in. He can piece the rest of it together himself.

I just liked the fact that Joe hit a complete dead end with the bike thing, yer man still thought it was a "really good reading". Confirmation bias prevails.

and did any of you notice....joe poping up stairs to the "loo" in the 1st & 2nd reading with the middle aged women

me thinks he was looking for some background info on the people

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

Yeah I noticed that too! Maybe he was some bladder problem? :pac:

I found it really interesting. While I'm sceptic, I think I do have quite an open mind but something about joe really didn't convince me - maybe it was the way it was edited, or maybe he was how defensive he got.

I felt really bad for the woman Darren picked for Joe to do a reading for. She genuinely wanted a certain friend to come through and at the end Joe was an arse to her, trying to make out she was lying and working in cahoots with Darren or something. Not cool at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I dunno what to think about things like this...but what I do know for sure is that as long as there are editors in this world, the public will never be able see the 100% truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The "psychic" was an obvious fraud, and it was easy to see that even without a scientific experiment. Whenever he was asked legitimate questions regarding what he does he got very defensive and would become incoherent and irrational with his answers. He would come out with emotional responses like "that is disgusting", "you are sick" and "I can't believe you would stoop so low, you are a liar" etc designed to provoke a retaliatory emotional response from Derren and as such derail the initial rational query.
    Yeah, he was probably an easy target - but I have a feeling many so called psychics would also become just as irrational and defensive when confronted with a person who can rationally and coherently explain their methods.

Plus, so what if Derren did read about the Holyoaks actress in a gossip magazine! He isn't claiming that spirits are telling him these things, in fact if he did read it, it only further enhances his argument that these readings are not the stuff of the paranormal.

Also the guy was obviously going to the toilet before each reading to find any family photos hanging on walls along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

God, that was embarassing, yet entertaining, to watch last night. That Joe Power is a numpty clown. The cringe factor shot into the stratosphere when he got into an awful huff after doing a crap reading for the woman Derren had chosen. I was almost affronted when he practically started to blame the woman for the reading going wrong - in her own damn house. Pr!ck.

What took the biscuit was when he accused Derren of lying to him about having been in her house earlier that day. Bullsh*t. Derren had said that he had met her briefly before they (himself and Joe) went into the woman's house. What an id!ot. For someone who calls himself clairaudient, he's as deaf as a pensioner underwater in a jacuzzi when it suits him.

What a twat. I actually think Derren Brown is very open-minded to this sort of thing, along with that fella Professor Richard Wiseman. They were just being logical and pointing out the obvious when they were looking at that video of Joe's public demonstration. Whether Joe is conscious of it or not, he was cold-reading like a mad thing throughout the demo.

I respected the woman that Derren chose for the second one-to-one reading when she displayed the presence of mind to honestly deny various bits of knowledge communicated by Power as meaning nothing to her. To an immature 'medium' like Power, it might look like she's being 'difficult' though. But based on the way he flared up at her in such a spiky way, I think he's a feckin' fraud, or just delusional. A medium that's secure in their ability wouldn't go mental the way he did.

Besides, wouldn't he have seen such a disastrous outcome coming? :rolleyes: A 'gut feeling' perhaps, no?

Twat.

Even at the end of the programme when he stares into Darren's eyes, you can see a slight glint of mischievous in joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

fryup wrote: »
    and did any of you notice....joe poping up stairs to the "loo" in the 1st & 2nd reading with the middle aged women

me thinks he was looking for some background info on the people

The very first time he did it I copped something was up and when he repeated it it was obvious he was up to something. Unfortunately Derren Brown didn't seem to pick up on it or didn't elaborate.

I'm pretty sure a quick nip to the loo in many a house enables you go catch a few family photos along the way;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

it was entertaining, Derren is a very clever character,

one thing that annoyed me was the "phychics" 2 trips to the jacks, at the start of each reading, this really seemed staged for the purpose of Derrens shows, as it was made so obvious on each occasion, Quote before the 2nd reading "right, before i do this reading i'm going to need to use the sitters toilet" the 1st one something similar was said,

Derren never referred to this in the show but it was also never edited out, I personally think that Joe couldnt be so naive as to think the viewers wouldnt notice he's fishing for info in the jacks, i.e. medical cabinets, etc,

I felt that was a bit staged

Advertisement