Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown Investigates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well then why are you so confused?

mainly because of your posts, like the quoted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

maccored wrote: »
    mainly because of your posts, like the quoted one.

:rolleyes:

Only if the show was marketed at the "Paranormal Community" like you said. But yo uwere unable to substantiate such claims so this point is void really isn't it?

It was a show on Channel 4 on at Peak Time. It was aimed at the general viewer i'm afraid!

OK - you win. It was of no interest to the paranormal community at all. Well, it did end up being of no interest (except this never ending thread). Except obviously to spend ages trying to get across the point I dont think it was very good, and a bit boring..

I fail to see what bit of that you dont understand - unless of course you are arguing with me because you thought it was great. if so - thats fab! :cool:
    Im glad you enjoyed it, but i dont know why you want me to suddenly think the shows in question were great. they werent. im sorry we cant agree on that.

It was aimed at the general viewer i'm afraid!

if all his shows were like that, he wouldnt have any viewers.

OK - you win. It was of no interest to the paranormal community at all. Well, it did end up being of no interest (except this never ending thread). Except obviously to spend ages trying to get across the point I dont think it was very good, and a bit boring..

I fail to see what bit of that you dont understand.......

Because you move the goalposts!

You said it was MARKETED TOWARD THE PARANORMAL COMMUNITY! Not that it might just "be of interest". When i asked you to show me how, you never did!

if all his shows were like that, he wouldnt have any viewers.

You are wrong! You obviously have no idea how television works. do you think that the only people who have ever watched Derren's shows were from the "Paranormal Community"?

You don't think the general public wouldn't watch his show? It's on C4, a station that gets beamed for free into almost every household in the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Precisely - its nothing new.

Just because some people got there before him, he's not allowed do a show of his own?

It's a topic of public interest. He's giving the people what they want.

There are at least 3 separate threads about this show apart from this one; In the Skeptics forum, Television and Psychics and Mediums (I think).

It has been discussed at length on his blog, and elsewhere on the net, especially after Joe Power's pouty blogpost about how Brown "attacked" him or whatever.

I think there has been a fair bit of interest in it.

Just because some people got there before him, he's not allowed do a show of his own?

maccored lives in a world where all television should be geared toward him and his interests!

And if it's not then it's the show producer's fault for making a show on a subject that he already knows about!

good for you. as i say, i cant agree with the verdict that it was of any interest though, considering the 'general public' which has been referred to would have seen it quite simply as derren brown investigating the paranormal. regardless of what you or I think. I dont really give a toss about that though - those three show were a bit disappointing in regards derren browns general standards.

if you dig through this somewhere you'll see a link i put up to penn and teller discussing how they believe derren brown is starting to pander too much to the exectations of tv viewers, and moving away from his sceptical roots - and i am starting to agree with them.

maccored lives in a world where all television should be geared toward him and his interests!

And if it's not then it's the show producer's fault for making a show on a subject that he already knows about!

and you are telling me Im confused?

Is this how you debate in real life? Doesnt it sound childish?

• Advertisement

and you are telling me Im confused?

Is this how you debate in real life? Doesnt it sound childish?

Its realistic. You can't substantiate ANY of your arguements! At all!

You also keep saying "It's nothing new". To who? You?

The show wasn't specifically aimed at you! Get it?

Because you move the goalposts!

You said it was MARKETED TOWARD THE PARANORMAL COMMUNITY! Not that it might just "be of interest". When i asked you to show me how, you never did!

You are wrong! You obviously have no idea how television works. do you think that the only people who have ever watched Derren's shows were from the "Paranormal Community"?

You don't think the general public wouldn't watch his show? It's on C4, a station that gets beamed for free into almost every household in the UK!

I take my hat off to you sir for your vigorous, continuous attempts to sideline the conversation.

Please refer to the OP where the words "Thought this might of of interest here. Should be interesting." appear. Like in the paranormal forum. I think that makes a connection between it being of interest and the 'paranormal community'.

good for you. as i say, i cant agree with the verdict that it was of any interest though, considering the 'general public' which has been referred to would have seen it quite simply as derren brown investigating the paranormal. regardless of what you or I think. I dont really give a toss about that though - those three show were a bit disappointing in regards derren browns general standards.

if you dig through this somewhere you'll see a link i put up to penn and teller discussing how they believe derren brown is starting to pander too much to the exectations of tv viewers, and moving away from his sceptical roots - and i am starting to agree with them.

Well that's your opinion, mate. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Maybe P&T are right in some way, but bear in mind that he couldn't go into that show with an outward intention to "debunk them". He couldn't just say (as much as we all wanted him to) that Joe Power is a despicable conman who sets out to destroy lives and memories for a few quid and book deals, unless he and C4 wanted a lovely lawsuit.
    He couldn't say something similar about Bronnikov unless he wanted the Russian mafia set against him.

Its realistic. You can't substantiate ANY of your arguements! At all!

You also keep saying "It's nothing new". To who? You?

The show wasn't specifically aimed at you! Get it?

You extracted that from me saying I didnt like the shows and fair dues to you if you did? Really? where in that have i demanded the show be specifically aimed at me?

Let it go. You liked it, I didnt. Thats life.

Well that's your opinion, mate. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Maybe P&T are right in some way, but bear in mind that he couldn't go into that show with an outward intention to "debunk them". He couldn't just say (as much as we all wanted him to) that Joe Power is a despicable conman who sets out to destroy lives and memories for a few quid and book deals, unless he and C4 wanted a lovely lawsuit.
    He couldn't say something similar about Bronnikov unless he wanted the Russian mafia set against him.

Then why did he do three shows on something he couldnt do properly? When he knew he couldnt do them properly? He couldnt do it in the name of healthy sceptisism for a start. I'd guess ratings, but Im not going to argue if you disagree. I'd say time will tell on this one.

You extracted that from me saying I didnt like the shows and fair dues to you if you did? Really? where in that have i demanded the show be specifically aimed at me?

Let it go. You liked it, I didnt. Thats life.

Its not a case of liking it or not.

You keep saying it's "nothing new"

So lets stop showing docs on WWII! Sure it's nothing new right?

Then why did he do three shows on something he couldnt do properly? When he knew he couldnt do them properly? He couldnt do it in the name of healthy sceptisism for a start. I'd guess ratings, but Im not going to argue if you disagree. I'd say time will tell on this one.

Now... would that be ratings withon the general public? Or would that just be the Paranormal Community?

if youc ant understand what Im saying by now, then maybe you should start reading again. This is going round and round, so Im jumping off. good night mrstuffins and Busi_Girl08!

Please refer to the OP where the words "Thought this might of of interest here. Should be interesting." appear. Like in the paranormal forum. I think that makes a connection between it being of interest and the 'paranormal community'.

Just like an article about Stigmata may be be of interest in the A&A forum.
    Just like a documentary about loss of faith may be of interest in the Christianity forum.
    Just like any other topic related to a particular subject that can challenge or be challenged by the people in that forum.

Thus "discussion" and "debate" is born!!

if youc ant understand what Im saying by now, then maybe you should start reading again. This is going round and round, so Im jumping off. good night mrstuffins and Busi_Girl08!

I tried to say that 5 pages ago!

• Advertisement

Now... would that be ratings withon the general public? Or would that just be the Paranormal Community?

can they be two seperate things (why am I encouraging this?). Im sure rating counters dont care what people believe or think as long as they watch. do me a favour and stop trying to prove my point for me.

Then why did he do three shows on something he couldnt do properly? When he knew he couldnt do them properly? He couldnt do it in the name of healthy sceptisism for a start. I'd guess ratings, but Im not going to argue if you disagree.

You say he didn't do them properly. I think he did quite a good job. I quite enjoyed the series.

If we all decided not to do something because there's a chance people might criticise us for not doing it right, then we would get nothing done.
    I'd say time will tell on this one.

You do realise that this series aired nearly 3 months ago, right? What exactly do you expect to happen?

can they be two seperate things (why am I encouraging this?). Im sure rating counters dont care what people believe or think as long as they watch. do me a favour and stop trying to prove my point for me.

But, according to you, this show wasn't marketed toward the general public? Why ever would they watch it?

After all, it's nothing new right?

Just like an article about Stigmata may be be of interest in the A&A forum.
    Just like a documentary about loss of faith may be of interest in the Christianity forum.
    Just like any other topic related to a particular subject that can challenge or be challenged by the people in that forum.

Thus "discussion" and "debate" is born!!

Yes. just to be clear here - Im the one saying there is meant to be a paranormal link here, and you and mrstuffins are saying there isnt.

why are you backing me up then on that this could be classed as something of interest to the 'paranormal community'?

My only problem with that is that it isnt very paranormal - as in fake mediums etc you know.... im repeating myself again.

You should really repost what you posted to me, to mrstuffins cus essentially I dont really think me and you have very differing views overall.

I agree with what youre saying, but i did find the shows very much less interesting and entertaining as I had expected, going by derren browns previous shows.

Thats obviously where we disagree and I've no problem leaving it there.

But, according to you, this show wasn't marketed toward the general public? Why ever would they watch it?

After all, it's nothing new right?

You should start a thread for that. i dont think its anything to do with the OP.

EDIT

No .. no .. i lie. It obviously is since its about the three shows. The problem must be that really, I dont see the relevance of trying to answer "Why ever would they watch it?" in reference to the general public, as Ive no idea. You need to do some kind of poll for that I'd say and a few thousand questionaires. way too much work for an idle discussion on the internet

You should start a thread for that. i dont think its anything to do with the OP.

I'm not replying to the OP! I'm replying to you!

I'm not replying to the OP! I'm replying to you!

yes you asked me why the general public would watch derren brown. as i said - dont know why youre asking me

yes you asked me why the general public would watch derren brown. as i said - dont know why youre asking me

You go from knowing a lot about how the show was marketed and who it was marketed towards, to knowing nothing about the potential audience!

Just give it up!

plus you said I said it was only marketed at the paranormal community. i didnt.

i did say it was marketed towards the paranormal community - ie those who would watch something if its paranormal related - (which since these shows had a medium, a ghosthunter and a mind reader, you can well say the 'paranormal community' would watch it.

I did not say that ONLY these people would be interested in it. but if you run three shows on people who are doing apparent 'paranormal' things, then of course you are going to attract those interested in the paranormal AS WELL AS other people who watch it for different reasons - ie not sceptical or paranormal reasons.

As mentioned already, theres a debate in sceptical circles of just how far derren brown will go to please those just watching prime time telly and move away from his traditional sceptical audience - ie those who watch him to be educated in whatever way sceptics learn things. Again, as I said already, my view on that is time will tell, but i do see where penn and teller would get that idea from.

• Advertisement

plus you said I said it was only marketed at the paranormal community. i didnt.

i did say it was marketed towards the paranormal community - ie those who would watch something if its paranormal related - (which since these shows had a medium, a ghosthunter and a mind reader, you can well say the 'paranormal community' would watch it.

I did not say that ONLY these people would be interested in it. but if you run three shows on people who are doing apparent 'paranormal' things, then of course you are going to attract those interested in the paranormal AS WELL AS other people who watch it for different reasons - ie not sceptical or paranormal reasons.

As mentioned already, theres a debate in sceptical circles of just how far derren brown will go to please those just watching prime time telly and move away from his traditional sceptical audience - ie those who watch him to be educated in whatever way sceptics learn things. Again, as I said already, my view on that is time will tell, but i do see where penn and teller would get that idea from.

Let's move away from this for a minute!

Do yo think there is PROOF for the Paranormal?

Like, if Derren Brown did an investigation to a standard to which you thought it was a PROPER Paranormal investigation, do yuou think there would be sufficient EVIDENCE for a "positive" conclusion?

Advertisement