Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown Investigates

Options

Comments

Or he probably went to the bathroom to switch on his recorder as he doesnt doesnt trust the editors .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Again this is a TV show :-) You wont get any insight into paranormal. If you watch a Paranormal TV show , you wont get any insight into paranormal.

And if you watch a tv show about crabs you won't get any insight into crabs? :confused:

strobe wrote: »
    And if you watch a tv show about crabs you won't get any insight into crabs? :confused:

No, you get a show with a gimmick that sells viewership figures rather then the boring life of a crab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No, you get a show with a gimmick that sells viewership figures rather then the boring life of a crab.
    You may not get insight into the whys and wherefores of a crab's mind, but you'll learn a lot about what they eat and where they live, just as this show informed us, with examples, of the types of tricks that unscrupulous people will employ to swindle the vulnerable out of their money.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I didnt see the show, but have been told about it. Even without seeing it, a glance at Joe Power's egotastic website* will tell you enough about him to know he's all about self promotion and moolah. I wondered if his whole persona was an elaborate prank, the site is so vomit inducingly bad. Fair play, Derren for chosing such a plank. Mustve been like shooting fish in a barrell.

* http://www.joepower.co.uk/index.php but I warn you, it may make you queasy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The thousands of people who go to his shows don't think he's a plank

kylith wrote: »
    You may not get insight into the whys and wherefores of a crab's mind, but you'll learn a lot about what they eat and where they live, just as this show informed us, with examples, of the types of tricks that unscrupulous people will employ to swindle the vulnerable out of their money.

Yes but this show only covered one crab :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes but this show only covered one crab :rolleyes:
    The only crab with a big enough ego to think he wouldn't look like a tit on telly, and therefore the only crab to sign a release form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Dave! wrote: »
    The thousands of people who go to his shows don't think he's a plank

I know. It's a pity.

I'd like to push Joe into one of those children's pens that has all those coloured balls. You know, those things at fairgrounds you'd leap into when you were small and practically get lost inside it. Great laugh for a few minutes at least.

Well, I'd push Joe in and leave the bollix there for good.

ball-pit.jpg

?type=display

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Oh yeah, I saw the most recent instalment of Derren Brown Investigates - the one about helping the blind to see (a la Mr Jesus Christ) using the Bronnikov Method.

I was all fine and dandy with it (as boring as it was, and as dumb as it was to pay hundreds of Euros for the course), until they showed this 16-year-old lad named Tom Braun who, with his well-meaning parents, was seeking a miracle to cure his cerebral palsy. I just found it very sad.

I felt like punching Bronnikov Senior when he was at the top of the hall beside Tom in his wheelchair and speaking into the microphone saying that people can't walk because they're "lazy". And that Europeans are the types to suppress their anger instead of expressing it (which apparently leads to maladies like cerebral palsy, or makes it worse :rolleyes:). What a stupid, ignorant [EMAIL="b@stard"]b@stard[/EMAIL]. :mad: Before he goes on to call physically incapacitated people lazy, he should feck away off for himself and learn a bit of English first.

The whole course of it that Derren did with Margaret and the other old lady was just stupid and embarassing.

It was terrible to hear that the parents of Tom are planning to embark on further Bronnikov Method courses in the fleeting hope of curing their son. What a shame.

What added more fuel to my fire was seeing that there are plans to bring the Bronnikov Method to the UK.

Such bullsh*t. :mad:

YouTube feckers won't allow me to embed it, so here's the link to the episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg65jAZ9eZ4

• Advertisement

Again Derren is picking easy targets to suit himself. Next week Derren is going to prove wrestling is fake !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

In all fairness he certainly isnt the only person out there doing it.

Again Derren is picking easy targets to suit himself. Next week Derren is going to prove wrestling is fake !
    He's picking high-profile targets. Somethin tells me we'd end up with the same result no matter who he tested.

At the end of the day Derren was unable to prove that he is fake. So being skeptical , Derren has actually proved nothing during this show .

At the end of the day Derren was unable to prove that he is fake. So being skeptical , Derren has actually proved nothing during this show .
    How do you prove someone's a fake? Even if you catch them red-handed they'll just make up some crap about how the spirits communicate through the hidden earpiece the psychic is using, etc.

To anyone with a brain, it's quite clear that the psychic in this show is a spoofer

There's probably nothing you can say to the people who had seemingly accurate readings off him, to persuade them that he's a fake

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

How do you prove someone's a fake? Even if you catch them red-handed they'll just make up some crap about how the spirits communicate through the hidden earpiece the psychic is using, etc.

To anyone with a brain, it's quite clear that the psychic in this show is a spoofer

There's probably nothing you can say to the people who had seemingly accurate readings off him, to persuade them that he's a fake
    +1

The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. In any investigation such as this a person should begin with the opinion that it is not true and then make a decision after looking at the evidence i.e. the initial opinion can be changed based on the evidence, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

He's picking high-profile targets. Somethin tells me we'd end up with the same result no matter who he tested.

nah - he's picking people that even many paranormal 'believers' would class as dodgy in the first palce. Havent seen the third show, but the first two definitely where. have to say Im a bit disappointed with mr brown this time round as I was expecting something a bit more substantial.

If somebody is caught cheating in a Maths test, it doesnt prove they cant do the Math .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

maccored wrote: »
    nah - he's picking people that even many paranormal 'believers' would class as dodgy in the first palce. Havent seen the third show, but the first two definitely where. have to say Im a bit disappointed with mr brown this time round as I was expecting something a bit more substantial.
    At the end of the day, of course, it is just television entertainment and it's a bit unrealistic to expect otherwise. He's simply having a harmless laugh at psychics and mediums and there's nothing wrong with that that. There's nothing wrong with him picking that obvious clown for the laugh value if it gets people laughing at and questioning mediums in general.

surely that should be 'derren brown comedy show' not derren brown investigates' then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I, for one, would love to take part in and watch a show that consists of nothing but pointing and laughing at Derek Acorah.

And maybe we could throw some rotten veg at him?

i'd say lots of people would want to be on a show like that. I'd go for it if you replace rotten veg with sledge hammers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

maccored wrote: »
    surely that should be 'derren brown comedy show' not derren brown investigates' then?
    I, for one, would love to take part in and watch a show that consists of nothing but pointing and laughing at Derek Acorah.

And maybe we could throw some rotten veg at him?
    While I do think the main purpose of the show is entertainment (not comedy as such), the funny bits of the show work best when Derren Brown is simply being reasonable while the targets contort themselves through being overly defensive. If there was overt finger pointing and laughing on the show it would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

...I *was* joking...

Besides, I would want that pointing and laughing show to be presented by Davina McCall, just to rub salt in the wounds :pac:

If somebody is caught cheating in a Maths test, it doesnt prove they cant do the Math .

No, but it is very strong evidence which suggests the person caught can't do the maths ability he's being tested on.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    No, but it is very strong evidence which suggests the person caught can't do the maths ability he's being tested on.

Not strong evidence at all. If the person was to continue to cheat over and over again . well that is strong evidence. But Derren Brown has not done that. He is not even investigating .

Maybe somebody should investigate Derren as he was not a convincing investigator to me.

Not strong evidence at all. If the person was to continue to cheat over and over again . well that is strong evidence. But Derren Brown has not done that. He is not even investigating .

Maybe somebody should investigate Derren as he was not a convincing investigator to me.
    Hmmm, what's the most likely reason someone cheats in a test? Yes, a person can invent infinite reasons why someone would cheat, but what in your experience is the most likely?

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Hmmm, what's the most likely reason someone cheats in a test? Yes, a person can invent infinite reasons why someone would cheat, but what in your experience is the most likely?

Fear of failure and pressure.

no matter what way you look at it, so far it hasnt been very substantive. Bit tame, harmless and generally weak - thats if its meant to disprove anything.

If its purely for sh!ts and giggles then yeah, we can all laugh at the medium and the mind fella he's had on so far - but as far as delving into the world of the paranormal? No, not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

2325920887_b206236832.jpg

Advertisement