Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hanging a wall light in new build

Options
  • 05-05-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I wish to put up some wall lights in my new build apartment. The builders have seem to have left this option open to me as there are two points on the wall, where wires. comes out of the wall and into what appears to be a square plastic junction box.

One of the boxes has two wires coming out of the wall and into it, while the other has just the one wire entering the box.

My question is;

Once i isolate the circuit, if I ope these boxes, is it just a case of wiring up the wall lights similar to a ceiling pendant.

I feel I am proficent enought to wire the lights but I jusr want confirmation that the plastic boxes are indeed junction boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

boxty wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I wish to put up some wall lights in my new build apartment. The builders have seem to have left this option open to me as there are two points on the wall, where wires. comes out of the wall and into what appears to be a square plastic junction box.

One of the boxes has two wires coming out of the wall and into it, while the other has just the one wire entering the box.

My question is;

Once i isolate the circuit, if I ope these boxes, is it just a case of wiring up the wall lights similar to a ceiling pendant.

I feel I am proficent enought to wire the lights but I jusr want confirmation that the plastic boxes are indeed junction boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like that is exactly what they are to me. Chances are though, they are wired to a separate switch rather than the ceiling rose, so check if you have a light switch that does nothing in the room, that or else the wires could be just in at the back of the switch.

There are two wires in on junction box and one in the other because its a single feed looping through one box to the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

What you have is two cables rather than 2 wires going into the first junction box. Each cable will have a blue (Neutral) & brown (Live) wire in each one. The light switch has a cable running from the back of it to the first box (light), then a cable from there to the 2nd box (light).

As you say, knock off the breaker for the lights.

Remove the plastic box with the 2 cables. Strip back the insulation to expose the blue & brown wires on both cables. Strip back about 8mm of insulation from the blue & brown wires. Terminate the 2 brown wires into the terminal block of the light fitting in the terminal marked (L). Terminate the blue wires into the terminal block of the light fitting in the terminal marked (N).

Do the same with the plastic box with the single cable.

Connect any earth wires supplied in the cables to the earth connections on the light fittings if supplied.

Switch on your breaker and switch on the light switch in the room for these wall fittings. Chances are you have a double gang wall switch...one for the main light and one for the wall lights already pre wired.

Hopefully it works for you...best of luck

Advertisement