Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westlife performing at Lissadell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

** feigns joy **

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

I'm still holding out hope for the slipknot/miley cyrus concert:P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ah shucks, i'm washing my hair that night

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i have this image of a mud bath if its a rainy day. cool having them play in sligo again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sumatra

Shane10 wrote: »
    i have this image of a mud bath if its a rainy day. cool having them play in sligo again though.
    God help us all, can they not feic off to somewhere else???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

basquille wrote: »
    ** feigns joy **
    dardevle wrote: »

I'm still holding out hope for the slipknot/miley cyrus concert:P

irish-stew wrote: »
    ah shucks, i'm washing my hair that night

:(
    Shane10 wrote: »
    sumatra wrote: »
    God help us all, can they not feic off to somewhere else???

Irish begrudgery at it's best.

Two international acts in one weekend, in Sligo. Isn't this what we should be welcoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

hush, you. your voice of reason is not welcome here!

Zip it you. I GREW those hands in your sig. I am RIGHT. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

:D

Two international acts in one weekend, in Sligo. Isn't this what we should be welcoming?
    Zip it you. I GREW those hands in your sig. I am RIGHT. Always.

i have the upmost respect and admiration for everything they have achived, its just not my style of music

:p

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    i have the upmost respect and admiration for everything they have achived, its just not my style of music

:p

It's most certainly not mine either, but they are going to bring a shed load of money to the region, at a time it is direly needed.

We should be welcoming them.

It's most certainly not mine either, but they are going to bring a shed load of money to the region, at a time it is direly needed.

absolutly, totally agree, just wont be there my self

but seriously, they have done well, their good at what they do, am just surprised their not playing Markievicz Park, more capicity i would have thought, allow more people to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Yes you are right.
    New rumours now that Cat Stevens is going to do a concert as well.....on a different night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

The only post you quoted that could be interpreted as begrudging was sumatras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

No they all were.

Whats that Bono quote about Irish peoples attitude to the fella with the house on the hill....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

MikeySligo wrote: »
    No they all were.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd love to hear MikeySligo explain how my post was begrudgery in the slightest.

My "feigns joy" comment was simply because they're not my taste.. and it's not something I'd get excited about.

That's not begrudgery!

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I'd be wondering, are they trying to do this as a regular and put a "brand' on Lissadell as a music venue for the future (eg for those of a particular vintage/music persuasion). Cos if they are then having Westlife playing kinda......(looks for a diplomatic term frantically) muddies the water you could say. :(

I'd like to see this as a regular, a sustainable yearly income rather than just lets pile them all in and let everybody have a crack at it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

No they all were.

Whats that Bono quote about Irish peoples attitude to the fella with the house on the hill....?

fraid not :(...apathy maybe but certainly not begrudgery.

tuppence wrote: »
    I'd be wondering, are they trying to do this as a regular and put a "brand' on Lissadell as a music venue for the future (eg for those of a particular vintage/music persuasion). Cos if they are then having Westlife playing kinda......(looks for a diplomatic term frantically) muddies the water you could say. :(

I'd like to see this as a regular, a sustainable yearly income rather than just lets pile them all in and let everybody have a crack at it. :eek:

Hopefully a regular occurance, but whats wrong with having something for everyone? Patricularly if its over a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I hope it's a regular thing too. Neither Leonard Cohen or Westlife would be my kindof music but each to their own.....bring on the rock:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 scarpetta65

Lissadell looks like a lovely venue and I for one am looking forward to the Leonard Cohen concert. Hope the weekend goes well, the north-west needs a lift!

Did both Leonard C shows sell out?

Did both Leonard C shows sell out?
    Yes according to the Sligo Champion he did.:)

Having something for everybody tho looks like its a one off, that its not thought through very well as to whom they may be marketing it to in the future, ie both the artists they are trying to draw and the crowd. Lissadell has its notoriety because of a literary giant, and as a poet and an artist Leonard Cohen is in keeping with that venue.

When you have such a gorgesus place like Lissadell you could easily be able to draw big named artists who would be consistent with what it stands for, perhaps having a weekend festival that could rival or better the likes of The Electric Picnic for example. (just one example of a niche market). The Electric Picnic practically gets sold out before headlining acts are confirmed. Thats an example of a successful "brand". I for one would love to see a yearly festival, as something to look forward to in the Sligo area (the north west really) and have the income generated for the Lissadell estate and the local community for a long time to come. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Any idea when tickets are going on sale for this, I imagine that it will be ticketmaster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

tickets on sale 9am Monday 17th May:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

[QUOTE=tuppence;65786666Lissadell has its notoriety because of a literary giant, and as a poet and an artist Leonard Cohen is in keeping with that venue.
    [/QUOTE]

For God's sake he only slept there for two nights, he lived beside the Nazereth House for two years and not a word about it

Stevedore wrote: »
    For God's sake he only slept there for two nights, he lived beside the Nazereth House for two years and not a word about it

Cohens there for two nights as well

;)

in fairness, i have only seen photos of Lissadell and it looks nicer than the area around Nazereth

Stevedore wrote: »

Sorry not sure whether this is supposed to be joke. :confused:

His links with the house are with the people who lived there, Countess Markievitz and Eva Gore Booth. Their revolutionary politics and feminism influenced him. This was reflected in much of his earlier poetry. It also has a life beyond itself as famously referred to in his poetry.

The light of evening, Lissadell,
    Great windows open to the south,
    Two girls in silk kimonos, both
    Beautiful, one a gazelle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement