Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man City Away - Match Thread

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Wednesday evening has looked like a massive game since it was rescheduled. I'm heading over. Have my ticket for the away end. Anyone else travelling? Should be incredible.
    I'm flying out from Dublin at 17.50 If the flight isn't delayed I'll be ok, but it will be tight.
    Any protocols I need to check out regarding access to the ground?I've never gone to an away game before, so I'm a little in the dark.
    I'm staying over, need to book somewhere soon. Not flying home til the following evening, so I can have a few pints in peace after the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Wednesday evening has looked like a massive game since it was rescheduled. I'm heading over. Have my ticket for the away end. Anyone else travelling? Should be incredible.
    I'm flying out from Dublin at 17.50 If the flight isn't delayed I'll be ok, but it will be tight.
    Any protocols I need to check out regarding access to the ground?I've never gone to an away game before, so I'm a little in the dark.
    I'm staying over, need to book somewhere soon. Not flying home til the following evening, so I can have a few pints in peace after the game.

I've been to plenty of away games over the years mate. Went to Man City a few years ago. There's nothing to be careful about really, just follow the crowds up to the staduim, and enter through the visitors gates.

Probabally not a good idea to wear Spurs colours, you'd be fine 99% of the time but it only takes 1 scum bag to ruin your day so I don't think it worth taking the risk, especially if you're on your own.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Pretty Sound advice from Shane. I was there a couple of years ago too to enjoy a 2-0 win. It's a fine stadium with very good facilities. I'd agree that it's prob better off not wearing colours, just in case you run in to some tool as pointed out above. I stayed in Jurys when I was there which was grand.

Buses outside the ground head straight back in to town after the game if you can catch one, only a few mins, save the walk :D

Hope it's a night to remember for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

This on sky or anything anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

ziedth wrote: »
    This on sky or anything anyone know?

It is indeed.

Hope you bring us luck Wendell- enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

football ground guide is your friend for away games too.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/manchester_city/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Bewleys Hotel out near the airport is usually only £60 a room, though with you flying back in the evening you might be at a loose end after check out.

Think there might be a bit of niggle at the game, a lot at stake and there's been a bit of bother before, so I'd echo the advice to not wear colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

The Bewleys Hotel out near the airport is usually only £60 a room, though with you flying back in the evening you might be at a loose end after check out.

Think there might be a bit of niggle at the game, a lot at stake and there's been a bit of bother before, so I'd echo the advice to not wear colours.

good advice. not that football hasnt cleaned up its act alot since the 80's but it may attract unwanted attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Lads anyone know who is ref for game on wed night? , please don't let it be howard webb , big decisions always tend to go against us when he in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

BERBA wrote: »
    Lads anyone know who is ref for game on wed night? , please don't let it be howard webb , big decisions always tend to go against us when he in charge.

Worse than Webb I'm afraid. Ref is Steve Bennett:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Worse than Webb I'm afraid. Ref is Steve Bennett:mad:

Bennett always struck me as a hometown boy , remember him sending off masch against utd at old trafford think it was 2 seasons ago and he loving it! , bennett worries me alright! , glad its not webb though.

Time to step up now - just avoid defeat

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    Bennett always struck me as a hometown boy , remember him sending off masch against utd at old trafford think it was 2 seasons ago and he loving it! , bennett worries me alright! , glad its not webb though.

Time to step up now - just avoid defeat

sent off Zokora in the league cup 1/4 up there in 07/08

yiddo59 wrote: »
    sent off Zokora in the league cup 1/4 up there in 07/08

We got a great result that night though.

We shouldn't fear them one bit....

Hatch99 wrote: »
    We got a great result that night though.

We shouldn't fear them one bit....

don't fear them a bit. delighted its them we're playing rather than someone like Villa or Everton!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Cheers everyone. I can't wait for it now. This could be a classic if we get an early goal. Our great team of the eighties announced themselves with a win over citeh in a classic-why not repeat the dose on Wednesday.
    Hope Gomes is fit, we'll need him.Harrry's ruled out a loan replacement. I reckon a lot of teams would offer us their 1st choice keper to keep citeh out of the CL. Why not ask Fergie for Foster/Kusiak? That would really thicken the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ Defoe

After watching Villa roll over against them yesterday, i really see no reason to hold back on Wednesday night. This game feels like a cup final to me and i already have butterflies about it lol. I just hope we don't blow the multitude of chances that we had against Bolton! Rest assured, if the finishing improves there will be goals! Bale is gonna tear Zabaleta and Toure a new one! COYS and have a great time Wendell.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Where to the Dublin Spurs watch the games in town? Wife kicking me out this Wed as I will wake the baby...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hard to call this,

I'm going for a 2-1 win, Bale and Defoe and someone like hudd to play a blinder and go down as a hero.

I can't imagine what I'll do if we win it, I will be a nervous wreck is all I know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is a tough one to call - I just feel that City will beat us. They looked sharp against Villa and if Harry does what he did against Utd then we'll be beaten before we even set foot on the pitch. Play the same team that won against Bolton - leave Palacios on the bench, put both Bale and Lennon on the wings. The only way to counter City's attacking threat is to provide a serious attacking threat of our own, and if we stick Bale at left back and BAE at right again, we'll lose. If things are looking good with 20 - 25 minutes left, bring Palacios on and tighten things up a little.

We have to scare City, and we can do that with serious pace. They're playing a left footer on the right and a right footer on the left, so they're quite narrow. If we play with width and pace, we should be able to do well against them. I'm out while the game is on but will be recording it to watch later in the evening but I know where my mind is going to be from Wednesday morning. I just hope the lads are really up for this.

The one thing I will say is that even if City win, it's not over!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SuprSi wrote: »
    This is a tough one to call - I just feel that City will beat us. They looked sharp against Villa and if Harry does what he did against Utd then we'll be beaten before we even set foot on the pitch. Play the same team that won against Bolton - leave Palacios on the bench, put both Bale and Lennon on the wings. The only way to counter City's attacking threat is to provide a serious attacking threat of our own, and if we stick Bale at left back and BAE at right again, we'll lose. If things are looking good with 20 - 25 minutes left, bring Palacios on and tighten things up a little.

We have to scare City, and we can do that with serious pace. They're playing a left footer on the right and a right footer on the left, so they're quite narrow. If we play with width and pace, we should be able to do well against them. I'm out while the game is on but will be recording it to watch later in the evening but I know where my mind is going to be from Wednesday morning. I just hope the lads are really up for this.

The one thing I will say is that even if City win, it's not over!
    Ya I have a terrible feeling about this game but I don't think Palacios will start he gave the ball away too cheaply v united

Deisler wrote: »
    Where to the Dublin Spurs watch the games in town? Wife kicking me out this Wed as I will wake the baby...

Tom Mayes is where the supporters club gathers, North Frederick Street, Dublin 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd say Gomes will have an injection for Wednesday

I disagree with all the negativity and worry. I can see us going there and really putting it up to them. They are good going forward, and will most likely play a forward 4 of Tezez,Adebayor,Johnson and Bellamy. Our back four of Daws,Bassong,Kaboul and BAE will have to be very sharp and strong.

I'd fancy Hudd/Luka against 2 of De Jong/Vieira/Barry any day of the week.

Our main threat and weapon can be out wide. I still think Citys 2 fullbacks are poor and if Bale and hopefully Lennon can get plenty of ball, we could punish them. My slight worry is the front 2. Both JD and Pav were quiet enough against Bolton. I just hope they can take there chances that I have no doubts they will get.

Im going with a 2-2 draw which would send us into the weekend with our faith still in our hands.

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

if gomes is out then he is a huge loss for us. we will have to wait and see. i think there will be goals in this game and see 2-2 or 1-2 to us. i think gudjohnson should start as he looks our best striker at the moment, all the others have gone off the boil

dont see wilson starting as someone else sais he gave it away too easy against united.

could be bad news for anyone travelling to this game, Irish airspace closed from 7am tomorrow til 1 at least http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0503/ash.html

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Oliver Kay from the Times (London) is saying worrying things about Gomes on his twitter account (twitter.com/oliverkaytimes): "Spurs tried to sign Begovic and Loach as keeper cover on transfer deadline day. They could regret not pushing the boat out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmc5000

Lads,

Anyone know a good spurs supporters pub in Dublin to watch the most important game of a spurs supporters career.I heard there's one on dorset street but which one.

Cheers (COYS)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

cmc5000 wrote: »
    Lads,

Anyone know a good spurs supporters pub in Dublin to watch the most important game of a spurs supporters career.I heard there's one on dorset street but which one.

Cheers (COYS)

Tom Mayes on North Fredrick st, just off Dorset st is where the Dublin spurs supporters club meet. Would say there will be a fair few in there for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

My local has the match in 3d so I'll make this my first ever game watching in that format.

At least the mrs won't see the tears [ of joy hopefully] with the glasses on.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

golfball37 wrote: »
    My local has the match in 3d so I'll make this my first ever game watching in that format.

At least the mrs won't see the tears [ of joy hopefully] with the glasses on.....:D

Where are they showing it in 3D?

Advertisement