Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City V Tottenham :: 20:00

• 05-05-2010 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Thought i should get the ball rolling on this one.
    should be a cracker. Harry reckons the pressure is all on City. Lets see what happens.

Result 65 votes

City WIN
    0% 0 votes
    DRAW
    52% 34 votes
    Spurs WIN
    47% 31 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Really looking forward to this! What an achievement it would be for Spurs to finish in the top 4!

C'mon Spurs!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

If Spurs win they are home and dry.
    If City win, they still need another win against The Hammers away.
    I think most people will be hoping for a spurs win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

I don't think many people would like to see Redknapp in the Champions League tbh. I'd nearly prefer City to get 4th spot. Would mean a load of interesting signings over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think the whole league - with a certain team in North London a notable exception - must be behind Spurs for this.

I think the fact that they only need a draw could be a mixed blessing. They play much better stuff against the big sides when they go for the jugular. They've an awful record against the big teams, especially away from home, and that's largely down to them being afraid to attack. Hopefully they'll take the game to City.

I think the whole league - with a certain team in North London a notable exception - must be behind Spurs for this.

I think the fact that they only need a draw could be a mixed blessing. They play much better stuff against the big sides when they go for the jugular. They've an awful record against the big teams, especially away from home, and that's largely down to them being afraid to attack. Hopefully they'll take the game to City.

Spurs need a win to secure 4th position not a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

syngindub wrote: »
    Spurs need a win to secure 4th position not a draw.
    They only need a draw to keep it in their own hands. If they lose they'll need City to fúck up on Sunday.

They only need a draw to keep it in their own hands. If they lose they'll need City to fúck up on Sunday.
    true enough i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I honestly dont think i could call this! Only thing for certain is Ill be blue tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The only thing that I can predict is that I'm going to be a nervous wreck for the next 12 hours! I firmly believe the match will be decided by how Harry lines his team up, and whether he goes for it with Bale on the left wing (not left back) and Lennon on the right, or reverts to his defensive Man Utd selection which was rubbish and made it easier for Utd. If he goes for the former, Spurs have a great chance of getting something from the game, though if it's the latter, City will win.

Hopefully Gomes is fit too as he'd be a huge loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Does anyone think there'll be alot of pressue on Fulop?

I think he was forunate against Villa in that they're attack wasn't overly strong and they tired in the 2nd half. Im hoping that with Defoe's crazy high shot rate, and an attacking formation (comeonArry!) that they'll put him under alot of pressue and he won't be able to handle it.

Having said that, Spurs need Gomes just as much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we'll see a great deal of what both teams are made of tonight, but IMO particularly Mancini and City.

i think it'll be a draw...2-2.

but honestly, it's impossible to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is being advertised on sky as being in 3D...any idea what pub shows it in Dublin? Wanna see what the fuss is about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Only one way for Spurs to get anything from this game and that's to play for a win. Certain players are going to have to turn on the form as well, namely all of our strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hope City win this one and make the CL. Then mental absurd transfer rumours ahoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

COYS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Mushy wrote: »
    This is being advertised on sky as being in 3D...any idea what pub shows it in Dublin? Wanna see what the fuss is about!

Serioulsy don't bother. Watched the Chelsea match in 3d at the wknd and it is a load of $hite. Its much better if you can find a pub that has it in high definition. The only good bit of it was when the teams were coming out onto the pitch but during the match it was a really poor quality picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Come on City :D

4-3 in a topsy turvey game.

I have probably jinxed it now and it will be a dour 0-0 :)

i fancy a Spurs win with GB getting on the score sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hard to call. Both teams know there is a lot at stake so I'd expect a cagey enough match with Spurs to knick it 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

any word on Gomes !!
    its for the fantasy football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I don't think many people would like to see Redknapp in the Champions League tbh. I'd nearly prefer City to get 4th spot. Would mean a load of interesting signings over the summer.

That's exactly why I don't want to see City getting 4th. :D

An extra bit of spice added to the game with arry's accusations..interesting.
    bully boy tactics from city in the transfer market. nothing surprising there.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/8661769.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

syngindub wrote: »
    An extra bit of spice added to the game with arry's accusations..interesting.
    bully boy tactics from city in the transfer market. nothing surprising there.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/8661769.stm

I take everything 'Arry says with a pinch of salt to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

spurs are the better team and if they turn up like they did against chelsea and arsenal I would expect a spurs win

come on spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I expect a City win but i would like to see Spurs clinch 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I think Spurs can barely scrape a win out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gutted I won't see this but I'm not sure the nerves could take it tbh.

Praying I wake up to a win but expecting a draw.

And lol at who said Spurs have a better squad than us. Ours is very much the better one on paper, we just suffer from 'Typical City' mentality and shoot ourselves in the foot whenever possible.

Headshot wrote: »
    spurs are the better team and if they turn up like they did against chelsea and arsenal I would expect a spurs win

come on spurs
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gutted I won't see this but I'm not sure the nerves could take it tbh.

Praying I wake up to a win but expecting a draw.

And lol at who said Spurs have a better squad than us. Ours is very much the better one on paper, we just suffer from 'Typical City' mentality and shoot ourselves in the foot whenever possible.

Headshot - Man Utd fan ;) :P

what, they have a better 1st team than city anyway, maybe city have a better squad ill give city that

you line up spurs team against cities and you'll should find that city only have slightly better strikers other wise spurs for me have a better team

hopefully Bale destroys Zabaleta tonight

some good news for spurs that King and Gomez travelled to Manchester

• Advertisement

what, they have a better 1st team than city anyway, maybe city have a better squad ill give city that

you line up spurs team against cities and you'll should find that city only have slightly better strikers other wise spurs for me have a better team

hopefully Bale destroys Zabaleta tonight

some good news for spurs that King and Gomez travelled to Manchester

Good point Headshot, both teams are close in terms of starting 11's IMO.

Should be a good game and whoever ends up coming fourth this season well and truly deserve to finish there and have an opportunity at European football.

I think City woth the squad they have would be better in Europe the Spurs and with the possible additions to the City squad with CL football, they would ne a huge force next year and may take the next few steps and push for the league from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Hmm.. as an Arsenal fan I don't want spurs to win obviously, but I don't like city either. success should be earned, not bought. And Adebayor is rather a nasty character.

If 'Arry is telling the truth about City bullying Spurs out of buying Bellamy then I hope Spurs get fourth. That kind of scumbag tactic should be punished pretty harshly. If however, 'Arry is full of crap, then come on City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ours is very much the better one on paper,

They sure are, especially if that paper is bundled in high stacks and has a picture of the queen on it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Gunning for City in this one. I'd love to see the Champion's league attract the players to make them a genuine threat to Chelsea/United in the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Im absolutely delighted its come down to this - essentially a playoff for 4th. For me the team that plays a high tempo attacking game will win.

Unfortunately City will probably be too scared of conceding and harry will send out the yids with a cautious mindset as he does against the big teams (Hope im wrong). You would think after beating Chelsea and Arsenal he would have told them to attack Man U but they essentially bent over.

Just wish hed go and tell them just to play football because that is what they are best at. a young a confident team needs that trust i think. Plus if spurs have bale and lennon on the wings i dont think city will be able to live with them.

COYS

I would suspect that some Arsenal fans are secretly hoping for a Spurs win tonight or at least will be happy if the result goes either way because, if city get 4th, then surely they'll be able to attract some big name players with Champion's League football, which they can already easily pay for, which in turn could lead to a squad which would force Arsenal to be the weak link in the new "big 4" and slowly see them pushed otu of it over the next 2-3 seasons.

Obiviously there's plenty if's and but's in that but it's just one such scenario if city win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I would suspect that some Arsenal fans are secretly hoping for a Spurs win tonight or at least will be happy if the result goes either way because, if city get 4th, then surely they'll be able to attract some big name players with Champion's League football, which they can already easily pay for, which in turn could lead to a squad which would force Arsenal to be the weak link in the new "big 4" and slowly see them pushed otu of it over the next 2-3 seasons.

Obiviously there's plenty if's and but's in that but it's just one such scenario if city win tonight.

Eh No... As an Arsenal fan City can spend all they want, whats to say over the next 2-3 years we don't win the league and Chelsea or United begin to slip. We are in fine finacial state so that theory lacks substance.

On the match I feel if City take the lead early the game will suffer. Spuds need to score first for an open strong game.

peabutler wrote: »
    Eh No... As an Arsenal fan City can spend all they want, whats to say over the next 2-3 years we don't win the league and Chelsea or United begin to slip. We are in fine finacial state so that theory lacks substance.

On the match I feel if City take the lead early the game will suffer. Spuds need to score first for an open strong game.

How exactly?

For a club that pofesses so often to be in a fien financial state ye never spend too much (and the whole debate of who's right when Wenger says he can't/won't and the board say there's loads to spend is for another thread)and ye have debt like everyone else too btw.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm up for City, just to see the "big 4" fans sweat

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'm up for City, just to see the "big 4" fans sweat

who are the big 4 ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

who are the big 4 ?
    Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, United (hence why I didn't say top 4 :D)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

How exactly?

For a club that pofesses so often to be in a fien financial state ye never spend too much (and the whole debate of who's right when Wenger says he can't/won't and the board say there's loads to spend is for another thread)and ye have debt like everyone else too btw.

We have recently built a new stadium so we are going to have debts. Money spent isn't a sign of financial security, its down to the manager and club budgets. We make a lot of money each year and don't rely on backers so i'd say we are finacially fine and if needed could buy a few players ( which we probably will this summer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

2-2 draw and a cracker of a game is my prediction.

Spurs to score first, City to claw 2 goals back and Spurs to equalise in the final 10 minutes through Huddlestone rocket.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Could it be the start of Spurs bending over for 2 Manchester clubs...

peabutler wrote: »
    We have recently built a new stadium so we are going to have debts. Money spent isn't a sign of financial security, its down to the manager and club budgets. We make a lot of money each year and don't rely on backers so i'd say we are finacially fine and if needed could buy a few players ( which we probably will this summer)

Yes but I asked you how Arsenal's financial state has anything to do with the scenario I suggested.

Yes but I asked you how Arsenal's financial state has anything to do with the scenario I suggested.

Because if we are financially secure we can also improve our team, to many people look at it one club at a time. They say if Man City sign Villa, Torres etc they will be the best team but they don't take account other teams. The odds are if Man City strengthen so will Spurs,Liverpool,Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal each to different extents but strenghten all the same. Your 'Scenario' made out as a club Arsenal are worried about Man City when we simply aren't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Smegball wrote: »
    2-2 draw and a cracker of a game is my prediction.

Spurs to score first, City to claw 2 goals back and Spurs to equalise in the final 10 minutes through Tevez.

:pac:

So, Tevez to be Citys' downfall this season...:p

Hope Spurs finish fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

F1ngers wrote: »
    So, Tevez to be Citys' downfall this season...:p

Hope Spurs finish fourth.

Hahah oops :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Should be a cracker. Can see it being a cagey affair for the first half, then all hell in the second as they both go for the win.

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Mushy wrote: »

Kavanagh's in Stoneybatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

You can't honestly want to see this guy in the Champions League?

arry_10438t.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement