Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanking posts where posters are banned

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a stop to this practice where a mod puts a post saying poster is banned and then posters place their thanks at the bottom of it.
    Its not in the spirit of the boards.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I would like to see a stop to this practice where a mod puts a post saying poster is banned and then posters place their thanks at the bottom of it.
    Its not in the spirit of the boards.

Moderators removing a disruptive influence from any forum deserve thanks, and is very much in the spirit of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Why not? It gives the Mod great feedback from the other posters so they know they're doing the right thing by the community. Here's a great example:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65723802&postcount=88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Moderators removing a disruptive influence from any forum deserve thanks, and is very much in the spirit of boards.
    Not when its gloating it isn't. Think you need to check back on that. Last time it happened a mod warning was placed advising posters not to gloat. Most people can tell the difference between the two.

Not when its gloating it isn't. Think you need to check back on that. Last time it happened a mod warning was placed advising posters not to gloat. Most people can tell the difference between the two.

You can tell who is gloating just from the fact that they thank a moderators post? Wow, you are extremely talented.

How about you link to what I should check back on, I haven't the time to search all of boards.

You can tell who is gloating just from the fact that they thank a moderators post? Wow, you are extremely talented.

How about you link to what I should check back on, I haven't the time to search all of boards.

Yes when the posters do it twice. Again Im not the only one who has been banned in there. Was just a general observation but since you are dragging this up the last time it happened the mod in question at least had the decency to put up a warning to posters not to be gloating.
    Its down to the posters but if we all start thanking these sorts of posts what does it say about us as a community.
    Luckily its only a minority who indulge in this practice.

• Advertisement

Yes when the posters do it twice. Again Im not the only one who has been banned in there. Was just a general observation but since you are dragging this up the last time it happened the mod in question at least had the decency to put up a warning to posters not to be gloating.
    Its down to the posters but if we all start thanking these sorts of posts what does it say about us as a community.
    Luckily its only a minority who indulge in this practice.

I'm not aware I have dragged anything up, I made a general observation, you started talking specifics.

Why don't you just admit that you are p1ssed off that some posters thanked a soccer mod's post announcing you had been banned and stop wasting everybody's time and effort in some futile exercise to change boards for the good?

Why don't you just admit that you are p1ssed off that some posters thanked a soccer mod's post announcing you had been banned and stop wasting everybody's time and effort in some futile exercise to change boards for the good?
    Stop putting words into my mouth. Again this a general issue and there were only six people who thanked post to begin with and two of those then made a roundabout comment thanking mod for thread which was directly aimed at me.
    Most posters had the decency not to gloat and as such the feedback comment from Nekidbibleman is as such redundant.
    You are entitled to your opinion but you are attempting to influence boards by speaking for everyone on here.
    Its your opinion so at least have the stones to admit that. Also if you could withdraw the remark underlined would be appreciated

Its your opinion so at least have the stones to admit that.

I have never represented my posts on this thread as anything other than opinion.

I have never represented my posts on this thread as anything other than opinion.
    Again Recklesstone remove the underlined bit. You are attempted to misrepresent opinion on these boards with that statement.
    Again if its acceptable for posters to thank these posters fair enough. But to me its winding the other poster up.
    The ban is enough in this circumstance. Posters do not have a say on who gets banned and are not asked about so the "great" feedback argument being put forward by nekidbibleman is just insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Not when its gloating it isn't..

did you ever stop to wonder why so many people thank a post that removes you from a forum? might be a better use of your time tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 recklesstone

Again Recklesstone remove the underlined bit.

:confused:

I haven't done anything...

Again Recklesstone remove the underlined bit. You are attempted to misrepresent opinion on these boards with that statement.

I made a point, you made a counter point. That is sufficient to "correct" the narrative, as such I will not be removing any of my comments.

Again if its acceptable for posters to thank these posters fair enough. But to me/b] its winding the other poster up.
    The ban is enough in this circumstance. Posters do not have a say on who gets banned and are not asked about so the "great" feedback argument being put forward by nekidbibleman is just insane.

I've bolded the relevant part of that statement. In your own words:
    You are entitled to your opinion but you are attempting to influence boards by speaking for everyone on here.

Practise, preach tbh.

Finally, please tell me you appreciate the significance of the alter-ego I have adopted recently...hint: see the username of the poster who responded to you just before me.

You have previously asked me to get your name right when replying, would you be so kind as to do the same for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

tbh wrote: »
    did you ever stop to wonder why so many people thank a post that removes you from a forum? might be a better use of your time tbh.

+1.

Really, your behaviour on that thread, which was a fun, p*ss taking thread was a joke. You were ruining a good thread and if people want to thank a Mod for removing a trouble maker, fair enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

shocking that the admins would approve this account tbh :pac:

You said stop wasting everyones time. That is trying to influence the debate through misrepresenation. So you have done something wrong. You speak for yourself and maybe some percentage of posters on here. Its not everyone.

TBH with all due respect you mod a reasonably quiet forum on radio. SF is considerably busy by comparison. 753,117 views on Pool forum alone which would be what collectively be more than what the threads on your pages get altogether. So maybe six thanks on one of your thread posts would seem a lot. Its nothing at all on SF.

To that post. Six posters thanked that post and most who did would be extremely well known to me.
    Two of then thanked on another post, one of whom has had problems himself on another thread before as stated by a poster the other day. The other poster was annoyed over a sig i had reported. Two of those posters are united posters so thats down to tribalism.
    I could draw up posts of how these posters place their thanks in general but suffice to say three or four of them do it collectively.
    Again I respect you are a category mod and all but you really haven't a clue what you are on about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Stop putting words into my mouth.

Ok so, we shall let your own words do the talking
    Again this a general issue
    and there were only six people who thanked post to begin with and two of those then made a roundabout comment thanking mod for thread which was directly aimed at me.

The bolded bits show the contradiction

Your feedback threads are never about what is good for Boards or the users in general

They are always about you not fitting in on the soccer forum and wanting the soccer forum to change to suit you

There is no point dancing around the issue any more, there have been several threads that have done this already, you need to change not the soccer forum, you cannot modify other peoples behaviour only your own, you need to ask yourself why you ahve been banned not why other people ahve thanked a Mods post on the subject

Now this post is technically agains the attack the post not the poster rule but sometimes a bit of tough love is warranted and necessary and maybe this time it will sink in with you

Again I respect you are a category mod and all but you really haven't a clue what you are on about here.

yeah that's cool, but I'm not posting here as a mod, just someone who's been here a while. The relevance of that fact is this: usually when people get banned, other people don't like it. People are far more likely to complain about power tripping mods than they are to thank mods for a banning. Personally dude, I think the reason people thanked that post is that you're making things really awkward for everyone recently - the best analogy i can give is of some kids having a football match - everyone is just getting on with it, until one kid comes along and starts demanding the the offside rule be enforced, and arguing with the ref over decisions which everyone was heretofore happy to regard as inconsequential, and trying to change the teams, and basically just wrecking it for everyone else. And that kid usually can't play anyway.

I don't mean any disrespect by that, by the way, I just think, as I've said before, that you'd enjoy boards a lot more if you stopped trying to draw attention to yourself and just posted what you wanted to post, and just tried to forget about what anyone else posts. in my experience, users like you who consistently "don't get it" just get removed from the site - now, that's not a warning, I don't have anything like that kind of power, just letting you know what I've seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What about gloating at someone whose sig has been removed after you reported them on the sigpo thread? Specifically telling the poster to "take your beating like a man" should this be allowed?

Double standards much?

Ok so, we shall let your own words do the talking

The bolded bits show the contradiction

Your feedback threads are never about what is good for Boards or the users in general

They are always about you not fitting in on the soccer forum and wanting the soccer forum to change to suit you

There is no point dancing around the issue any more, there have been several threads that have done this already, you need to change not the soccer forum, you cannot modify other peoples behaviour only your own, you need to ask yourself why you ahve have been banned not why other people ahve have thanked a Mods post on the subject

Now this post is technically agains the attack the post not the poster rule but sometimes a bit of tough love is warranted and necessary and maybe this time it will sink in with you
    Sorry i never dragged the SF into this. So I cant be accused of that. If others chose to make every thread thereafter.
    No buts Recliner. And just to kick your argument into touch the last poster who actually gloated received a ban. So its not acceptable.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    What about gloating at someone whose sig has been removed after you reported them on the sigpo thread? Specifically telling the poster to "take your beating like a man" should this be allowed?

Double standards much?
    KevIrl is astonishes me how you cannot tell the difference between this and that. I actually extended the courtesy to poster in question that his sig was to big via a public post.
    Told him to shorten a bit. And he continued repeatedly to take the mick by putting up sigs after that was removed by referring to me in his sig. So know there was no gloating there at all. If anything I just failed to rise above it as one mod recently advised.
    It wasn't gloating. He got to change his sig. how you can compare the two instances is absolutely beyond belief.

yeah that's cool, but I'm not posting here as a mod, just someone who's been here a while. The relevance of that fact is this: usually when people get banned, other people don't like it. People are far more likely to complain about power tripping mods than they are to thank mods for a banning. Personally dude, I think the reason people thanked that post is that you're making things really awkward for everyone recently - the best analogy i can give is of some kids having a football match - everyone is just getting on with it, until one kid comes along and starts demanding the the offside rule be enforced, and arguing with the ref over decisions which everyone was heretofore happy to regard as inconsequential, and trying to change the teams, and basically just wrecking it for everyone else. And that kid usually can't play anyway.

I don't mean any disrespect by that, by the way, I just think, as I've said before, that you'd enjoy boards a lot more if you stopped trying to draw attention to yourself and just posted what you wanted to post, and just tried to forget about what anyone else posts. in my experience, users like you who consistently "don't get it" just get removed from the site - now, that's not a warning, I don't have anything like that kind of power, just letting you know what I've seen before.
    TBH i understand all this. But seeing the SF was dragged up none of this thanks whoring goes on anyhere else.
    To answer a previous point you made i think the admins took into account my solid record outside of the SF.
    So really my behaviour on there doesnt impact on other forums. Xavi6 a mod on SF will tell you we get on well in Alt Music section and thats how it should be.
    I also have a good posting relationship with CMOD Dub13 when we post on Pool thread. There is a mutual respect there and it would be great if there were more posters like him. Unfortunately thats not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Sorry i never dragged the SF into this. So I cant be accused of that. If others chose to make every thread thereafter.

Your examples all relate to the soccer forum, you can object all you like but that is where all your issues are
    No buts Recliner. And just to kick your argument into touch the last poster who actually gloated received a ban. So its not acceptable.

Were they banned for thanking a post, because that is what your thread is about?

Gloating is a seperate issue

As has been pointed out before it can be useful to a Mod to see that they have taken a decision that the forum are happy with

There have been incidences before where people have been banned for thanking an abusive post and there has been a discussion on that already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't believe it is possible to selectively turn on and off the Thanks feature for a particular post, my understanding is that it has to be done at a forum level. So you either have it on all posts, or none.

The only other option is to request that people do not thank such a post. I think you know as well as I do, that aidn't gonna happen. :)

Again, this thread has limited life, so I am giving those concerned a chance to reply.

TBH i understand all this. But seeing the SF was dragged up none of this thanks whoring goes on anyhere else.
    I'm not sure you understand what "thanks whoring" is. I thought your problem was with posters thanking posts where posters are banned - that's not thanks whoring, and I assure you, it most certainly does go on in other forums.
    To answer a previous point you made i think the admins took into account my solid record outside of the SF.
    So really my behaviour on there doesnt impact on other forums. Xavi6 a mod on SF will tell you we get on well in Alt Music section and thats how it should be.
    I also have a good posting relationship with CMOD Dub13 when we post on Pool thread. There is a mutual respect there and it would be great if there were more posters like him. Unfortunately thats not the case.

No idea what you're on about there dude.

Your examples all relate to the soccer forum, you can object all you like but that is where all your issues are

Were they banned for thanking a post, because that is what your thread is about?

Gloating is a seperate issue

As has been pointed out before it can be useful to a Mod to see that they have taken a decision that the forum are happy with

There have been incidences before where people have been banned for thanking an abusive post and there has been a discussion on that already
    Obviously thanking an abusive post can lead to a ban. But its not what Im talking about.
    I have been on SF and have seen many bans. But have never thanked any post where poster was banned. We are all human in there. There was a serious case of a poster gloating last night with another poster thanking it.
    Poster was sneaky enough to put it in away where it escaped the attention of the mod but I think its safe to say everyone knew what the poster was implying especially the poster who thanked the post.

Poster was sneaky enough to put it in away where it escaped the attention of the mod but I think its safe to say everyone knew what the poster was implying especially the poster who thanked the post.

Did you report it?

No idea what you're on about there dude.
    shocking that the admins would approve this account tbh :pac:
    Was it my account you were referring to?

Did you report it?
    I cant report a post within a forum I am banned from. But admin knows about it via a PM.

Was it my account you were referring to?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So you were banned from SF and people thanked the mods banning post? You took this to heart and are now complaining about thanking posts in here? Am I right?

• Advertisement

no
    Sorry then. Hard to keep track of things when you arguing with five people at same time. But its a decent enough debate so far with the except of one or two posts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement