Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom VS Magnet

• 05-05-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm moving into a new appartment....so I called eircom to enable the line so I can get broadband.

My intention was to get the line enabled and go for magnet's 24 meg package.

However eircom just offered my 24meg unlimited broadband(I know they cap it at about 250GB) for 36 euro a month including the line rental and there phone package.

This is for 10 months and then it goes up to 61 euro.

It's kinda against all my morals going with eircom but that is not a bad deal at all.

So what would you guys do, go with them or magnet...there my only 2 real choices from where I live.

Thanks,
    Terrlock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Hi mate

I just got Magnet a few days ago. I was actually talking to Rory who posts on boards quite a lot and he was pretty helpful. He called me back a few times and was generally a good guy to deal with. The main problem with going with Magnet is if you are a new Eircom customer you have to have your Eircom account number which they only can post out to you, so it will take a few days to get your account number from Eircom and Magnet need that before they can even start to sign you up. Apart from that when I got my Eircom account number Magnet were pretty fast at connecting me. I took probably 2 or 3 working days and a modem arrived in the mail. One day later and the DSL light started coming on and I was able to browse the internet and download at fullspeed of my line, about 8mbps. The only minor gripe is that they don't provide a wireless modem, just a basic as wired zyxel cheapy modem. That wasn't a problem for me at all because I had a wireless N modem router lying around from having been with eircom in the past. Also have another 2 wireless G routers from previously being with NTL etc. NTL are the best as they are gonig up to 100mbps, I was previously with them and they are the best in everyway for broadband. I was also with Eircom and they were okay but they are a huge faceless company who have a pack of idiots working for them. At least with Magnet they answer the phone a lot faster and you can speak to the same person pretty easily and they just feel a lot better than Eircom.

Summary, Eircom isn't bad, but I'd prefer to go with Magnet anyday. Magnet is probably the 2nd best broadband company after NTL in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

I'm in the same situation. Moved into a new house in Carrickmines and wanted the NTL package TV and broadband but they don't serve the broadband unfortunately .

So now i have to decide between Magnet and Eircom and have absolutely no idea which is best.
    However eircom just offered my 24meg unlimited broadband(I know they cap it at about 250GB) for 36 euro a month including the line rental and there phone package

Does this include wireless and which package is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magnet, if actually available, is better. The problem is that Magnet generally is very limited area.

watty wrote: »
    Magnet, if actually available, is better. The problem is that Magnet generally is very limited area.

Is that better in terms of quality or price?

Their 24mb broadband is €54/month

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Amaru KGB wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation. Moved into a new house in Carrickmines and wanted the NTL package TV and broadband but they don't serve the broadband unfortunately .

So now i have to decide between Magnet and Eircom and have absolutely no idea which is best.
    However eircom just offered my 24meg unlimited broadband(I know they cap it at about 250GB) for 36 euro a month including the line rental and there phone package

Does this include wireless and which package is it?

That does include the wireless.

I was actually very frank on the phone, I called them you literally just to activate the line and when they asked me If I want broadband I told them I just want the line activated and I will then go for the best deal I can get which at the moment is magnet at 56 euro...

They mentioned the 8 meg package and I told them that is too slow and magnet is 24 meg. After I said that she said the she can offer me the 24 meg package including line rental and phonecalls for the 36 euro a month.

it's the advance unlimited package the call it.

So for 36 euro it's very tempting...and if it's crap I can change it after 6 months I guess.

It's just I'm not sure how reliable of a service it will be compared to magnet which I can get in my area.

• Advertisement

Terrlock wrote: »

I was actually very frank on the phone, I called them you literally just to activate the line and when they asked me If I want broadband I told them I just want the line activated and I will then go for the best deal I can get which at the moment is magnet at 56 euro...

They mentioned the 8 meg package and I told them that is too slow and magnet is 24 meg. After I said that she said the she can offer me the 24 meg package including line rental and phonecalls for the 36 euro a month.

So for 36 euro it's very tempting...and if it's crap I can change it after 6 months I guess.

It's just I'm not sure how reliable of a service it will be compared to magnet which I can get in my area.

I tried to bargain with the customer service guy but he would not budge, if I was able to get your deal I'd take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

Get everything in writing off them to confirm before you even consider ordering!

The 24Mb package has a 12month contract btw so changing after 6 months may not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

She told me 6 month contract, but I might go with magnet just cause there is something I just don't trust about eircom.

It's kinda a deal that's too good to be true and I just don't really believe in those as eircom has never been know for their value for money..or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bubbz

She told me 6 month contract, but I might go with magnet just cause there is something I just don't trust about eircom.

It's kinda a deal that's too good to be true and I just don't really believe in those as eircom has never been know for their value for money..or am I wrong?

Did you ask if this price included VAT? My bill for eircom has over €50 Vat on it every 2 months!!

Advertisement