Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses closing Galway city centre

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the amount of businesses closing down in Shop street,eyre square centre its unreal.
    Are the rents too high or is it a sign of the times people are not spending

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yea, believe it or not people have noticed. There is a big long thread on it somewhere from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

And its getting worse.
    I have a brother running a shop in town, last weekend allot of the traders said it was the worst weekend ever ... and it was also a Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

alibabba wrote: »
    And its getting worse.
    I have a brother running a shop in town, last weekend allot of the traders said it was the worst weekend ever ... and it was also a Bank Holiday.

It seemed to be shockingly quiet around..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't we have another thread, too, about all the newsagents opening around town.

Shops come, shops go. Such is life.

The crowd in town last weekend probably weren't the biggest spenders, agreed. Though they made a fair bit of noise in the streets at night. But I doubt it was the worst weekend ever (As I kid, I remember noticing trend in the letters that arrived from relatives in Ireland: every single season that had just ended was the "worst XXX ever".)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

alibabba wrote: »
    And its getting worse.

Was in town on Sat and it seemed mad "busy" - queue of cars on Merchants Rd waiting to get access to Eyre Sq Centre car park around 3pm. Whether these people spent money in shops is a different story though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Well the tills werent getting any traffic last weekend from what i heard. And that was the point i was making, nothing about volume of traffic/people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Myself I think that Galway has been kept going by all the tourists they attract.
    Prices have not dropped in Galway like they have around Ireland because of this.

Advertisement