Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition - Design a Poster

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,

Was just wondering how interested people would be in a possible competition to design an advertising poster for a company. Of course some kind of prize (cash or otherwise) would be given to the top 3 or so, but just wondering what you might think of the idea as it is still in it's early stages of discussion.

JR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hi all,

Was just wondering how interested people would be in a possible competition to design an advertising poster for a company. Of course some kind of prize (cash or otherwise) would be given to the top 3 or so, but just wondering what you might think of the idea as it is still in it's early stages of discussion.

JR

I'd be into it, if I had the time, a fun challenge I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'd be into it, if I had the time, a fun challenge I say.

Ditto!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

That sounds great and all but what has it got to do with photography or have I missed something here??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

That sounds great and all but what has it got to do with photography or have I missed something here??

cross posting s.o.b!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

i'd be very interested in that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Hey look, another "competition" that's basically an thinly veiled request for spec. work (and cheap spec. work at that).

Can someone please come and tell us whether or not this is spam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 JimRichardson

charybdis wrote: »
    Hey look, another "competition" that's basically an thinly veiled request for spec. work (and cheap spec. work at that).

Hey Charybdis,

No spam, just trying to gauge the interest in something like this if we were to go ahead with it. I did post this in the graphic design section as well but haven't gotten much of a reply from there as of yet.

As for everyone else,

Good to see that you have some interest in this. I'd realize that some kind of graphic design skill could be needed for such a competition. I have been researching some similar competitions and the work in them was very impressive and we would be willing to match the prizes that some of them were offering.

We have decided already that if we were to do this there would be a cash prize for the winner (and probably for 2nd and 3rd place also).

But as of yet, we have decided nothing else, so this is not a request for anything, simply seeing if there would be enough interest to warrant going ahead with it.

Regards,

JR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

no offence to you Jim (if that is your real name)

but you are basically asking for free graphic design work in exchange for ???? a prize.

will the poster be commercially used ? will the winning entrants be credited ? will the other entrants work be disposed of...or kept on record and used on a later occasion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 JimRichardson

PCPhoto wrote: »

but you are basically asking for free graphic design work in exchange for ???? a prize.

will the poster be commercially used ? will the winning entrants be credited ? will the other entrants work be disposed of...or kept on record and used on a later occasion ?

As I said before we haven't made any decisions on whether we're even going to do this or not so not requesting any graphic design work. If we do you'll be notified of what the prize will be and then you can decide whether to participate or not.

I think you can assume that it will be commercially used. In such a competition the winner must be credited. In terms of use of other work a decision will be made on that but I'd guess that work that doesn't win a prize will be property of the artist.

In terms of what we were thinking, this was a similar contest that we were looking at:

http://www.posterdesigncontest.org/index4.html

Their entries are on their Facebook group page if you're interested

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

charybdis wrote: »

PCPhoto wrote: »

there is a prize...

d-r-a-m-a q-u-e-e-n-s

• Advertisement

there is a prize...

d-r-a-m-a q-u-e-e-n-s

Oh! Well in that case!

*fires up InDesign and spends many hours preparing competition entry in the hope of winning prize*

p-e-r-s-o-n-w-h-o-h-a-s-o-b-v-i-o-u-s-l-y-m-i-s-s-e-d-t-h-e-p-o-i-n-t-o-f-o-u-r-c-o-m-m-e-n-t-s

i was more referring to your silly counter thread bout getting your lawn mowed

i was more referring to your silly counter thread bout getting your lawn mowed

there is a prize...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did i miss some memo? are competitions Bad Things now?

did i miss some memo? are competitions Bad Things now?

apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

OP,

I'm going to close this with a recommendation that you perhaps PM the moderators in Digital Arts and Design which I think is a more appropriate forum for this rather than in straight photography. I know you reckon you haven't had a lot of feedback there but it's worth engaging with the local mods before posting something like this. It helps quite a lot.

The rest of you - please cool it. People have different opinions on competitions, outcomes, and the like. There is no need to be narky, try to be witty and fail, when dealing with people who may not a) agree with you or b) be aware of certain other issues regarding reproduction rights and the like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement