Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Verbatim external hard drive not recognized by Windows!?

• 05-05-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a fairly new (Christmas gift) Verbatim external hard drive. I'm in the midst of a break up at the moment, and we're both moving out of the house we share, and the PC in the house belongs to my ex so he's obviously taking it with him. I had been transferring all my music, photos, files, etc. onto the external hard drive over the last few weeks with no problems. Then last Saturday I transferred the last of my stuff and then deleted my profile from the PC.

On Sunday then my ex told me he had a few more movies on the PC that I could copy over, so I plugged in the hard drive to get them. I then got a bubble on the tasbar saying that the USB device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it :eek: I tried it in the laptop we have in the house and also brought it into work to check on my work PC but the same thing is happening with all of them. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and is there any way I get my stuff back off the hard drive??? I literally have everything on there and had to delete everything off the PC because it's not mine and I will literally cry if I can't get everything back. Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed!! Thanks :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Try different usb cable. Is it still under warranty? Data recovery will cost you a pretty penny. How much is everything worth? I'd say you'd be looking at at least 300-500 if not more depending on what type of recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Replacement disk enclosures are also cheap, sometimes the electronics in them (for the USB interface) goes bad. The disk inside is most likely (99.99999%) a SATA drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Thanks for the responses, I've no internet anymore so couldn't check boards over the weekend... I will try and find a similar USB cable and see if that makes any difference. If not, I guess I will see if I can replace the disk enclosures - bonzodog2 where would I go to get that done?? I am clueless with hardware stuff :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

here is an item for £7.99 STG, free post which is like an enclosure with no box

here is one with a box for 3.48+5.99 stg

you will prob need to get a suitable screwdriver to open the old case

if you are anywhere near Galway I'd give you a hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Hey bonzodog2 thanks for the offer, I'm in Dublin though so think will have to sort it myself ;) A guy in work was looking at it and said it does look like it's the USB interface, so I'll have to get one of those replacement disk enclosures and transfer everything off it onto a new one. Sorry for late reply, I've just moved and have no internet set up yet and never had a chance in work last week. Thanks again for all advice, keep your fingers crossed I manage to get it sorted!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement