Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pano/growing pains

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys. Has anyone any experience of pano/growing pains in larger breeds? I'd like to hear how long it lasted and what you did for the puppy to make them comfortable? Our guy will be 10 months next week and has it about a month :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It can last for a few weeks or even longer. My friends saint bernard had it and he had it for a few weeks. It can also come and go too until they are fully grown.

What food have you got the dog on as sometimes the high protein level can do harm too so i would suggest that you make sure the dog is on a very low protein food too as high protein can cause problems with Pano.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks! I've taken him off RC because it was 32% and he's on Burns adult now and we're giving him salmon oil as well. The vet told me to keep him on his lead - I stupidly let him off yesterday for 2 mins to play with his friend and when he ran over to me and tripped up on his sore leg so I felt awful :( I find when I give him pain killers it seems to mask the pain so much that he ends up trying to jump all over the place and hurts himself. He's started to go on stike on walks because we're keeping them short and on the lead - he lies in the grass when we get to the gate of the park cos he doens't want to come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks! I've taken him off RC because it was 32% and he's on Burns adult now and we're giving him salmon oil as well. The vet told me to keep him on his lead - I stupidly let him off yesterday for 2 mins to play with his friend and when he ran over to me and tripped up on his sore leg so I felt awful :( I find when I give him pain killers it seems to mask the pain so much that he ends up trying to jump all over the place and hurts himself. He's started to go on stike on walks because we're keeping them short and on the lead - he lies in the grass when we get to the gate of the park cos he doens't want to come home!

Oh god, 32%, thats where your problem is, but you werent to know, just like i didnt before it happened to my friend too, only someone with a lot of experience with large breeds told her to take him off the high protein.

Salmon oil is fantastic, my rottie has been on it since a pup and he has a fab coat and never been lame so ive been very lucky.

Make sure hes not walked on hard ground either, try to keep to the grass where its softer. Road work is a definate no no until hes well recovered.

I wouldnt be walking too much though, very short walks 10-15 mins id say at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just to update I brought him to the vets today because I was a bit worried that he was getting worse. They said he's too heavy now and that could be adding the the problem. Keeping him on the lead and with short walks meant he wasn't burning off enough energy! He's on metacam now because the rimadyl didn't seem to be helping and he's allowed off the lead but he's not to overdo it. Also he's on Hills r/d now so he drops the weight. It's all very confusing - i think from now on we'll stick to the one vet at the practice because they all tell me different things! :(

Advertisement