Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm 9 - 12: Who should get the gig?

• 05-05-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

What about the idea of Marty Whelan taking over Gerry's old slot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I quite like Marty Whelan to be honest :P

And quite frankly, I'd prefer him to take over than Dave Fanning. Can't say I was ever a Fanning fan and I don't think he would be able to command a talk show.

Well no one could ever fill Gerry's shoes, but Marty would make a better go of it than Dave, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Although I never set out to listen to Gerry I am familiar with his work.

I think Marty would be lightweight in terms of the depth, range and intelligence of discussion Gerry was capable of. Again - I would see the word irreplaceable being very apt as I do not think there is anyone in the national broadcaster that could cover what he did. Thought briefly about Ryan Tubridy stepping in yesterday but don't think he could manage such a show for 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

Marty Whelan?? :confused: Gerry might have been in his 50's but he was a young 50, and throughout the years had a general audience of all ages - thats what Gerry was good at. Im 24, and I dont think Marty Whelan would appeal to many my age.

I dont know who should do it, but someone that can speak to many audiences, no one can fill his shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well i don't mind as long as its not.......Evelyn o'rourke, Brenda o'dunahue, Fiona looney, Tommy tiernan, Hector o'whathisname or Rick put on american accent O'shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Marty Whelan? Good GOD no!!

Maybe they could lure Ray Darcy back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They need to have a completely new format of a show. The worst thing they can do is try and carry on the "Gerry Ryan Show" with a different host. That's what would happen if someone like Evelyn O'Rourke or Fiona Looney (God forbid) took over.

I really enjoyed Rick O'Shea taking that slot recently when Gerry was off for a few days. He will appeal to a far wider demographic than Marty Whelan or Ryan Tubridy.

Hector (with or without Tommy) would be painful. A disaster.

Whoever does take over really just needs to put a completely new spin on the show and not try to continue where Gerry left off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i dont think marty whelan dave fanning or evelain o rourke would be good for the slot it has to be someone that is smart whitty a good taste of music and someone that can do light and heavy interviews and most importantly they should be able to talk to and listen to the people of ireland and should appeal to all ages
    i think ryan tubbarty would do well but like someone else said could he manage a 3 hour slot every day but rte radio bosses have to chose very carefully because if they get it wrong they will loose a lot of listeners but no one can replace gerry he was a one of kind but the show must go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

tbh wrote: »
    my money is on Sean Moncrief.

That would be a shame, I really like him whre he is, "Movies and booze" is brilliant radio.

Do you think Newstalk would let him go?
    Not sure he would fit into RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Poly wrote: »
    That would be a shame, I really like him whre he is, "Movies and booze" is brilliant radio.

Do you think Newstalk would let him go?
    Not sure he would fit into RTE

yeah, I like the newstalk show too, but if 2fm were keen to continue the format - and lets face it, it's a huge moneyspinner for them - I think he'd be best suited. Not a million miles from G. Ryan, but different enough not to be a poor copy. I think if he wanted to go, newstalk couldn't really stop him, although he might have to go on gardening leave until his contract was up. He's worked for RTE before, remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

They need to have a completely new format of a show. The worst thing they can do is try and carry on the "Gerry Ryan Show" with a different host. That's what would happen if someone like Evelyn O'Rourke or Fiona Looney (God forbid) took over.

I really enjoyed Rick O'Shea taking that slot recently when Gerry was off for a few days. He will appeal to a far wider demographic than Marty Whelan or Ryan Tubridy.

Whoever does take over really just needs to put a completely new spin on the show and not try to continue where Gerry left off.

i dont think they should reformat the show the format of the show works and it works well and its proven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

it really depends on weather RTE want the slot to be the same type of show or not. If they do they have to assess the 2fm talent pool first. Dave Fanning used to annoy me when he filled in for Gerry. I like Rick O Shea and always have done and I feel he is best in the station who could do the job - if that was the job they wanted to do.

When you think about the show, there were a few interviews pre booked, the review of the papers, but the rest was winging i based on the "you tell us and we'll tell them" line. That is where the talent will be needed.

Going outside 2FM Marty Whelan is not as bad a choice as you may think but I dont think he would be able to do the soul searching interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ricochet or Derek Davis

smokin ace wrote: »
    i dont think they should reformat the show the format of the show works and it works well and its proven

Sorry I shouldn't have said a complete new format. I just mean that they shouldn't try and do a "copycat" show. They should still do a talk show, but they need to reinvent it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

tbh wrote: »
    my money is on Sean Moncrief.

If I was a betting man this is where my money would go also, but personally it would be a disaster for me as I _really_ _really_ dislike Moncrief. I think it's the only show on newstalk where I can't hit the off button quick enough.

I think this is a chance to do something really different putting Moncrief in would really just be a poor copy.

We really need a huge radio personality which we don't have, this could be a great opportunity to bring in some talent from across the waters.

Chris Evans? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ntlbell wrote: »
    We really need a huge radio personality which we don't have, this could be a great opportunity to bring in some talent from across the waters.

Chris Evans? :D

RTE couldn't afford Chris Evans. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 2FM ditch the phone show completely. 2FM's image is all over the place. It doesn't know what it is or who it is broadcasting to. It's supposed to be a pop station for a young audience yet they had Ryan's show which was a current affairs style phone-in for the 30+ audience, Larry Gogan (while he is a legendary presenter, he's a bit old for 2FM) broadcasting to a much older audience etc...

2FM reminds me of BBC Radio 1 back in the early 90's. Serious re-brand needed.

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a pop station for a young audience yet they had Ryan's show which was a current affairs style phone-in for the 30+ audience, Larry Gogan (while he is a legendary presenter, he's a bit old for 2FM) broadcasting to a much older audience etc...

I don't think it is anymore eth0 - I think they have said that it's now aimed at the 30+ market.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0821/1224253010470.html
    2fm has also lost market share among teenagers, as youth music stations like Spin, iRadio and Beat have struck a chord with the younger audience.

Duignan has decided to reposition the station away from its traditional 15- to 34-year-old focus towards the 25 to 44 age bracket. RTÉ’s new digital stations will now chase the teenage market.

“The station [2fm] was targeting the teenage market, but there was a misalignment between who the station was targeting, and the talent [the presenters] and the content that it was offering,” she says.

“That said, some of those people are icons of Irish broadcasting and many of them are hugely popular, but we need to have them on a service where their popularity is a hit with the audience that the station is targeting.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

QUOTE]

I totally agree. I think it needs to be a new format.
    I would like a music based show, rather then a talk one. Every other station at that time in the morning is talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

rick ( microphone in mouth ) o shea is unbearable , my choice would be sean moncrief although i do wonder would moving from newstalk shake off his quirky left of field style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

I think all current radio hosts would be a poor second to Gerry. You cant replace something that’s unique. A new show is needed.

Personally I think Mark Little is underrated. He would have similar qualities to Gerry and would put his own twist on things. He may be lacking in the humour department but in terms of education, knowledge and experience he ticks the box.

He is also easy to listen to which is most important. I cant stand Dempsey, Darcy, Whealan, O'Shea, Tubridy etc after 30 mins...some of their voices would go through your head. moncreaf is too much of a messer. I prefer him in his current role.

Agreed on any of the current G Ryan staff taking over. Just cant see it working. The comparisons would always remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think the 'Late Late Show' proves that RTE are incapable of new formats, but that is what is needed - I wasn't a huge fan of G.Ryan but he did what he did brilliantly and made the 9-12 slot his own. It shouldn't be any of the old RTE hacks either. What about a talent show competition with a popularity vote to determine the peoples choice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i was thinking if they went with the same type of show that Joe Duffy would switch from LiveLine and carry on the phone type interview theme. anyone else think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

let colm and jimjim to an extra hour (even though they are detestable) and bring eamon keane in for two?

Rick oshea is king of naff

let colm and jimjim to an extra hour (even though they are detestable) and bring eamon keane in for two?

Rick oshea is king of naff

Eamon Keane for two hours? Should give him enough time to ask one question :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

RTE have a readymade, proven performer standing in the wings. He is not hugely different in age than Gerry Ryan. He can manipulate public opinion, like Gerry, knows or indeed cares, not a whit for popular music, like Gerry, and, this is the clincher, he adores the sound of his own voice.
    I refer, of course, to Gay Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

I woundn't mind seeing Rick O'Shea doing the slot, with evelyn and fiona looney beening involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I woundn't mind seeing Rick O'Shea doing the slot, with evelyn and fiona looney beening involved.
    Thats a joke right?

nah his voice would get on peoples nerves. dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh god Rick O Shea would be terrible, if only because of his awful voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I would say Sean Moncrief but he's currently the only alternative to the getting increasingly camper by the day Derek Mooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Another vote for Sean Moncrieff. Would suit the slot. Which would be a shame, as like others here, I really enjoy the afternoon show on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I'd love to see Rick O Shea on that slot. Just not Evelyn O Rourke or someone boring ike that.

Tom Dunne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭baldbear

Tom Dunne would get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

How predictable.

I think so and so shoiuld get it.

(next poster) Oh no, I hate him. I think joe bloggs should get it.

(next poster) please not joe bloggs. I hate his voice. I think they should give it to Mary Jane

(next poster) Mary Jane has the most boring voice I ever heard. I think Joe public should get it.

(next poster) Pleeeeease not that swine Joe public. he is the worst broadcaster ever. Billy bob boo boo is the man for the job

(next poster) I will never listen to 2fm again if that twat billy boo boo gets it.

WOULD IT NOT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE TO JUST MENTION THOSE YOU THINK SHOULD GET IT RATHER THAN RUBBISHING EVERYONE ELSES OPINION.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It's so far out of Tom's league it's not funny.

Derryleigh wrote: »
    How predictable.

(next poster) please not joe bloggs. I hate his voice. I think they should give it to Mary Jane

(next poster) Mary Jane has the most boring voice I ever heard. I think Joe public should get it.

(next poster) Pleeeeease not that swine Joe public. he is the worst broadcaster ever. Billy bob boo boo is the man for the job

(next poster) I will never listen to 2fm again if that twat billy boo boo gets it.

WOULD IT NOT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE TO JUST MENTION THOSE YOU THINK SHOULD GET IT RATHER THAN RUBBISHING EVERYONE ELSES OPINION.

It's called a discussion....

• Advertisement

Derryleigh wrote: »
    How predictable.

any more posts like that and I'll remove the source of your frustration Derry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I've changed my mind to Brendan O'Connor and I'm not joking I think he would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

fryup wrote: »
    Well i don't mind as long as its not.......Evelyn o'rourke, Brenda o'dunahue, Fiona looney, Tommy tiernan, Hector o'whathisname or Rick put on american accent O'shea

+ 1 could'nt agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

terry wogan is free.:p

dont mind the way moncrief thinks but not gone on his voice . 3 hrs dont forget.

dotton adebeyour bbc radio 5 night time.

cant see anyone really in ireland. but mad as it sounds marty whelan migt be the pick.

im telling ya joe duffy for this type of show, cant see anyone else. tubbers prob wouldnt do the 3 hours with the late late on his hands and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I'd be inclined to look at Moncrieff as the new host of the slot if I was yer man the Head of 2FM. On the basis that G Ryan is gone (RIP) his unique style is gone too.
    Moncrieff has a lot of the qualities I would look for to take that slot forward. Humour, intelligence, seems to be well read, can do current stuff and the funnies and seems to me to bridge the urban/rural thing.
    He also has a clutch of kids and the family thing always struck me as being important to listeners to that slot.
    Might take a few years to bulid up a head of steam, but that's going to be the case with even bigger names being talked about such as Tubridy or D'arcy.
    Just my tuppence worth anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

My guess would be Tubridy moving back to 2fm. While I'm not a fan, I'm sure he would keep the numbers up. Gay Byrne did say on his Lyric fm show a while back that a switch between Gerry and Tubridy was being considered, I think there was a thread about it.

My preference would be Moncrieff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

At the risk of being shot out of the water my thoughts are turning to the following:

Bring back Jim O Neill - plays great music & may suit the new audience profile.

Continue the format with Mark Cagney at the mic - can be empathic but perhaps not savvy enough - great voice though.

Put in Miriam O'Callaghan - good voice, charming, intelligent and might just spare us the awful tv show this summer plus a mature woman may appeal to GRyan's audience.

Hoosh Ray D'arcy & Co over from Today FM but straighten him out a bit vis. the pontificating and bad presentation style plus Ms Kelly may just keep la Looney at bay.

As an absolute last resort put in Rick O'Shea - I find his voice ok but maybe not enough gravitas to hold a decent audience share in that slot.

Should I get me coat? :)

Ray Foley FTW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get up the yard!

That slot generates 6 million in ad revenue, now thats a lot of dosh and how much of it is down to that slot on that station or to Ryan is hard to know. I wouldn't be surprised if some feelers were not put out to Moncreif, he could certainly do a job there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Big shoes to fill

Big shoes to fill

I dont think RTE will find an immediate replacement I think if will be a long term project of trial and error. Someone will have to grow into the role I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

Now i've had a bit of time to think, Rick O'Shea would do my head in with his voice. Would still like to hear from Fiona and evelyn. What's the name of the fella that covered for GR when he was away on holidays. He wasn't too bad because he kept the same format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'd certainly put Rick O'Shea up as a front runner for the job - he's well able to field discussion as he used to do on his show a couple of years ago before the first revamp (when they pretty much banned him from speaking).

Will Leahy might be an alternative candidate but as his show is haemorrhaging listeners in every survey, he might be considered too big a risk.

Would Tubridy want a three hour job 4/5 days a week on top of the LLS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

God please dont put in Rick o Shea, he's terrible, and not a day goes by where he doesnt play Bruce Springsteen.
    Will Leahy is just awful, voice is too loud and annoying,
    Nikki (I'm so fake) Hayes, Ruth(I'm from Roscommon) Scott, Dave (cant stop talking) Fanning and Damian (how was your weekend) Farrelly are just out of the question.
    Some new blood needs to be brought in. Sean Moncrief maybe, but he'd have to calm down a bit on the "eh, eh, eh, not chew badge, eh, eh, eh"

MJ23 wrote: »
    God please dont put in Rick o Shea, he's terrible, and not a day goes by where he doesnt play Bruce Springsteen.

You know he has no choice in what he plays.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement