Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm 9 - 12: Who should get the gig?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think the big wigs in RTE would be better not making a decision too quickly. They should contuine to run the show in its current format 9-12 with a mix of chat and music. They could get 'guest' presenters in, 1 week at a time and see what the public's reaction is to them. Its un-chartered ground and there is no point in them rushing into any decisions which they may regret in 6 months time.

Try the current RTE staff first then go further afield if they don't work out. Although leave Evelyn and Looney as reporters, no way should they present the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

deelite wrote: »
    I've changed my mind to Brendan O'Connor and I'm not joking I think he would be great.
    This would be exactly the type of retrograde step that RTE have a habit of making. I know he has a face for radio but..
    It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I wonder will Ryan listeners stay faithful to 2fm or switch. Will it remain as a three hour slot. They could possibly move Tubridy back to 2FM and make it a 2 hour slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I reckon damien kibert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

terry wogan is free.:p

na, he'll never be forgiven for cosying up to the brits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

ntlbell wrote: »
    If I was a betting man this is where my money would go also, but personally it would be a disaster for me as I _really_ _really_ dislike Moncrief. I think it's the only show on newstalk where I can't hit the off button quick enough.

I think this is a chance to do something really different putting Moncrief in would really just be a poor copy.

We really need a huge radio personality which we don't have, this could be a great opportunity to bring in some talent from across the waters.

Chris Evans? :D
    Chris Evans crossed my mind as well but not only could RTE not afford him, I don't think he would appeal to an Irish audience. I would be completely opposed to Moncrieff getting the gig. We really do need a huge radion personality which as you say, we don't have.

jvan wrote: »
    I think the big wigs in RTE would be better not making a decision too quickly. They should contuine to run the show in its current format 9-12 with a mix of chat and music. They could get 'guest' presenters in, 1 week at a time and see what the public's reaction is to them. Its un-chartered ground and there is no point in them rushing into any decisions which they may regret in 6 months time.

Try the current RTE staff first then go further afield if they don't work out. Although leave Evelyn and Looney as reporters, no way should they present the show.
    I also think it is a great idea not to rush into any decision. There's no harm in keeping the temporary format of chat and music with guest presenters. It would have been near Gerry's holiday break anyway, so best bet would be to wait. Is Gerry Ryan's brother a presenter ? Anyone know what he might be like on air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Brendan O'Connor as another poster said good sense of humour not scared to speak his mind or chris evans(rte too broke to pay him) , someone lively anyway but not hector:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

We're paying marian nearly 150k an hour

how much would evans demand :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

rickoshea - no way

was it just me or was Joe Duffy more opinionated today about a lady having housing problems in Finglas? Has he assumed some of Gerry Ryan's fighting spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

potsy11 wrote: »
    I think all current radio hosts would be a poor second to Gerry. You cant replace something that’s unique. A new show is needed.

Personally I think Mark Little is underrated. He would have similar qualities to Gerry and would put his own twist on things. He may be lacking in the humour department but in terms of education, knowledge and experience he ticks the box.

He is also easy to listen to which is most important. I cant stand Dempsey, Darcy, Whealan, O'Shea, Tubridy etc after 30 mins...some of their voices would go through your head. moncreaf is too much of a messer. I prefer him in his current role.

Agreed on any of the current G Ryan staff taking over. Just cant see it working. The comparisons would always remain.

little ( who i like ) is too intelectual , do you really think he could mix it with housewives from tallaght , gerry could switch from serious to silly , heavy to light in a matter of minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

ntlbell wrote: »
    We're paying marian nearly 150k an hour

how much would evans demand :confused::confused:

few kegs of guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'd certainly put Rick O'Shea up as a front runner for the job - he's well able to field discussion as he used to do on his show a couple of years ago before the first revamp (when they pretty much banned him from speaking).

Will Leahy might be an alternative candidate but as his show is haemorrhaging listeners in every survey, he might be considered too big a risk.

Would Tubridy want a three hour job 4/5 days a week on top of the LLS?

Will Leahy already has a full-time job as a barrister doesn't he? He can only do evening shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I dunno bout Ricochet, there is something about his voice that bugs me

I hope Moncreif stays where he is though his programe is great on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Why not Anton Savage ! great radio voice and well able to host Last Word when Matt Cooper is away

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I do think Anton Savage is a lot more listenable than Ray D'Arcy when he fills in. He'd be my none RTE choice.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Miriam O'Callaghan yet. Her weekend shows are popular. She can do the serious stuff(Primetime) and the light hearted banter(her summer Saturday night show). Maybe change the show to just 2 hours 10-12. Unfortunatly that means an extra hour of Colm and so-good-they-named-him-twice JimJim but hey ho.

Could bring Ryan Tubridy back to do that 2 hour slot either.

Whatever happens though they will have to change the format. Not drastically but just enough so that it sounds fresh and carries the personality of the host. GRyan was that and simply trying to replicate him will end in disaster for 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

smokin ace wrote: »
    i dont think marty whelan dave fanning or evelain o rourke would be good for the slot it has to be someone that is smart whitty a good taste of music and someone that can do light and heavy interviews and most importantly they should be able to talk to and listen to the people of ireland and should appeal to all ages
    i think ryan tubbarty would do well but like someone else said could he manage a 3 hour slot every day but rte radio bosses have to chose very carefully because if they get it wrong they will loose a lot of listeners but no one can replace gerry he was a one of kind but the show must go on
    :confused:

Sweet jasus!!

Now I know the problem RTE have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

tbh wrote: »
    my money is on Sean Moncrief.

Great shout. Love that guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

magnumlady wrote: »
    I would like a music based show, rather then a talk one. Every other station at that time in the morning is talk.

They'll never have a music-based show on at that time. Sure, look at Newstalk: poached a music head (Tom Dunne) for their morning show, and rationed his music output to 6 discs over 3 hours. There's no way RTE suits will take the risk of breaking the mould

My money's on Tubridy. He's kinda smart, kinda funny, kinda like Gerry... Maybe I'm just dying to see him leave R1, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

tubbers seems the obvious choice to change over but would he be mad to do a 3hr show and the late late. possible not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Shane10 wrote: »
    tubbers seems the obvious choice to change over but would he be mad to do a 3hr show and the late late. possible not ?

well then maybe his wages would be justified:cool:

ya i think tubridy would slot right in effortlessly, he's well known to the irish public and his easy manner would go down a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

fryup wrote: »
    well then maybe his wages would be justified:cool:

ya i think tubridy would slot right in effortlessly, he's well known to the irish public and his easy manner would go down a treat

hmmmm, was just thinking lot goes into the 3hr show even with the back up team. then again if thats what rte want he will hardly refuse id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Miriam O'Callaghan yet. .

Er....actually, I did. Page 4.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

I think Alf McCarthy should get the job.

Really good personality.
    easy to listen to when talking
    can be funny and serious

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Anton Savage - fills in for Ray D'Arcy the odd time. He filled in today for the funeral. I like him. Might be a bit inexperienced for such a big slot, but then I'm sure they said the same about Gerry back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Steve Staunton

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

washiskin wrote: »
    Er....actually, I did. Page 4.
    :)
    Indeed you did. Damn it, thought I was first with the Miriam O'Callaghan idea:)

Shane10 wrote: »

tubs sees himself as catering to a more mature audience than would be catered to over at 2FM , gerry was somewhat anti establishment , tubridy was part of the establishment the day he left the womb , trust me , he will neither want the gig or be asked to take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

irishh_bob wrote: »
    tubs sees himself as catering to a more mature audience than would be catered to over at 2FM , gerry was somewhat anti establishment , tubridy was part of the establishment the day he left the womb , trust me , he will neither want the gig or be asked to take it

Gerry was the court jester of the Irish establishment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

i have a particular interest in this as I was no Gerry Ryan fan and as a result, would listen to Ray D'Arcy on Today FM instead. But I've grown tired of him and I want something new...and I hope the Ryan replacement will be it.

I looked at the first couple of pages of this and this is what I think of the names mentioned

Marty Whelan: No, the man is too wound up and generally annoying.

Dave Fanning: No - Isn't a general talk show host and is too disliked by too many.

Ryan Tubridy: Wouldn't be wise for him or listeners. Over-exposure. 15 hours a week on radio AND over 3 hours on the LLS. Too much! It wouldn't supride me if he got it though.

Rick O'Shea: I don't know him!

Hecktor: An annoying man who thinks he has a huge personality. No.

Ray D'Arcy: That's the fella I'm trying to get away from

Derek Davis: Think it needs fresher blood.

Brendan O'Conner: No. Sounds annoying. Is annoying.

Joe Duffy: No

Tom Dunne: He's already one alternative at that time of the morning and he doesn't cut it.

Sean Moncrief - the best suggestion I've seen

My own suggestion that I HAVEN'T seen anyone mention: Anton Savage....good personality, witty, very well educated, has a good voice and can talk about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

Think Dave Fanning should get it. His 2 hour radio show in the evening is a mixture of chat and music. He has stood in for Gerry when Gerry was on holidays and was quite good.

If not Dave Fanning, then;

Ryan Turbidy - Maybe. He was good when he did the morning slot on 2fm before Colm & JIm JIm. Over exposure would be a problem.

Marty Whelan - No thanks. Never liked him when he stood in for Gerry.

Joe Duffy - No thanks. Dont like him or liveline. Encourages folk to give out the whole time. Has no opinions himself.

Brendan O'Connor - No way. Was useless doing his chat show. Smug.

Ray D'Arcy - Hope not. Boring and he doesnt like when someone takes the piss out of him.

Miriam O'Callaghan - Maybe. Good on serious stuff but not on light.

Rick O'Sea - Like him but not suited to a talk radio show.

Evelyn or Brenda - No to presenting the show but keep as reporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Why is Brendan O'Connor even being suggested? :eek:

• Advertisement

I really think they should just keep guest presenters in the 9-12 slot until the end of the summer rather that rush into something. I know I'm setting myself up to be shot down but I would give Gerry's eldest daughter a guest slot for a week or two. She wants a career in broadcasting, the crew would guide her along and it might be interesting to see what she is made of. Her father wasn't much older than her when he started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

mojesius wrote: »

I like him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

jos28 wrote: »
    I really think they should just keep guest presenters in the 9-12 slot until the end of the summer rather that rush into something. I know I'm setting myself up to be shot down but I would give Gerry's eldest daughter a guest slot for a week or two. She wants a career in broadcasting, the crew would guide her along and it might be interesting to see what she is made of. Her father wasn't much older than her when he started.

I'd agree with the first part of that. There should just be a temporary presenter until about September or so when the new guy/girl takes over for good. I believe the PERMANENT replacement is the one we're discussing here. Nobody expects the decision to be made next week.

With respect, I don't agree with the second part at all. I don't think anyone should get special consideration or special opportunity purely on the basis of who their father was....and that's what it would amount to!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    With respect, I don't agree with the second part at all. I don't think anyone should get special consideration or special opportunity purely on the basis of who their father was....and that's what it would amount to!

I know she was working 'in the media' while she was in New York but I'm not sure if that included any broadcasting experience. Fair point though, I was just putting it out there to see what people thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Laois_Man wrote: »
    My own suggestion that I HAVEN'T seen anyone mention: Anton Savage....good personality, witty, very well educated, has a good voice and can talk about anything.

I mentioned Anton Savage above. Don't know if it's too early in his career yet though!

mojesius wrote: »

worse still , why is rick o shea being mentioned so often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

What about Mike Moloney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

jdscrubs wrote: »
    Think Dave Fanning should get it. His 2 hour radio show in the evening is a mixture of chat and music. He has stood in for Gerry when Gerry was on holidays and was quite good.

If not Dave Fanning, then;

Ryan Turbidy - Maybe. He was good when he did the morning slot on 2fm before Colm & JIm JIm. Over exposure would be a problem.

Marty Whelan - No thanks. Never liked him when he stood in for Gerry.

Joe Duffy - No thanks. Dont like him or liveline. Encourages folk to give out the whole time. Has no opinions himself.

Brendan O'Connor - No way. Was useless doing his chat show. Smug.

Ray D'Arcy - Hope not. Boring and he doesnt like when someone takes the piss out of him.

Miriam O'Callaghan - Maybe. Good on serious stuff but not on light.

Rick O'Sea - Like him but not suited to a talk radio show.

Evelyn or Brenda - No to presenting the show but keep as reporters.

Agree with you on all of above

But what about Matt Cooper or Sean Moncrieff there not bad on their own programmes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

What about phillip boucher hayes from rte I know he talks posh but very good interviweing people on the streets and hes young enough

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

P Boucher Hayes? now that would be gas. I'm sure he could do that job in his sleep but I'm afraid he might be a bit posh for RTE radio deux. Imagine him reading the papers and telling us about Jordans newest boob job pictures or flirting and sipping wine with ms O'Rourke hahaha. His nob nation introductions would need a bit of work.

"Ladies and gentlemen for your listening pleasure we now bring you Nob Nation, the funniest thing on irish radio since Bertie's resignation speech"

If Philip could just grow a sense of humour it would be laughs all the way. Go Philip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Steve Staunton would be better than any of the Sindo circus muppets that have been trotted out here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Colm Hayes

*runs for cover*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

is that colm as in colm and jim jim?

oh gawd noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

magnumlady wrote: »
    What about Mike Moloney?
    Molooooney after midnight... or before miday in this case ;)
    Yep, wouldnt rule him out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

wouldnt put it past rte to do a talent star search type programme.

surely theres some talent out there apart from the insitu crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Put Joe Duffy in from 9-12,that way so many more people can learn to hate him. Ryan Tubridy on for 3 hours a day might be an idea,but would he consider the move to 2fm a step back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

Gay Byrne and Terry Wogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

+1 for Terry Wogan - he'd shake things up a bit in Montrose

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

bob50 wrote: »
    Agree with you on all of above

But what about Matt Cooper or Sean Moncrieff there not bad on their own programmes

Afraid I dont listen to any other radio station bar 2fm so I dont know what those two are like. Wouldnt be able to take Matt Cooper seriously due to Nob Nation doing such a good job in him. Dont know about Sean Moncrieff either.

Still think Dave Fanning is the best bet. Put Jenny Heuston into his slot in the evenings.

If not Dave, will still go with Ryan Turbidy. When Gay Byrne did the radio and late late, there wasnt a problem so cant see there being a problem with Ryan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement