Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm 9 - 12: Who should get the gig?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think Dave Fanning would be terrible in a talk-show format. He speaks WAY too fast, plus I really wouldn't put him as much of a "people person." I can't imagine him speaking to middle-aged women about masturbation for instance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I think Dave Fanning would be terrible in a talk-show format. He speaks WAY too fast, plus I really wouldn't put him as much of a "people person." I can't imagine him speaking to middle-aged women about masturbation for instance!

Ha ha -:D that actually made me laugh out loud!

Tubbers would be overkill at that stage.
    I agree that they need new blood. Maybe a woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I agree that they need new blood. Maybe a woman!

A woman ?? Someone like Anna Nolan perhaps ??

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

On the RTE website

"
    Colm and Lucy set for morning show

DJ Colm Hayes and television presenter Lucy Kennedy are set to present a morning show together on RTÉ 2fm for the coming month.
    The pair will present the 9am to 12 noon slot, which was previously presented by the late Gerry Ryan.
    Head of RTÉ 2fm John McMahon said: "We have all been devastated by the death of Gerry Ryan."
    Advertisement

"It is particularly painful to have to turn our minds to practicalities, but that is the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in."
    "We understand the desire of the media, the industry and indeed Gerry's listeners, to know what they can expect in 'The Gerry Ryan Show' slot in the coming weeks."
    "I have been moved by the hugely helpful response from colleagues within RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ generally; I would like to thank Colm Hayes for agreeing to temporarily separate from on-air partner Jim-Jim; and I would like to thank Lucy Kennedy for agreeing so readily to host the show for the next four weeks."

"To Gerry's listeners I would like to say: Gerry will not be forgotten. Yes, this is a new show, but we will continue our commitment to many of the items Gerry's listeners loved."
    "We'll keep up the allotment, Nob Nation will continue at 10am with the irrepressible Oliver Callan, and Colm and Lucy will open the line to callers for their own unique style of chat. We hope too to bring loyal listeners some of Gerry's best moments from over the years. The show goes on, albeit with a heavy heart."
    Lucy Kennedy has said: "When I did my recent stint on 2fm with Baz, little did I know I would be back so soon. I'm honoured to be asked and look forward to speaking with Gerry's listeners in the coming weeks."
    Says Colm Hayes: "It is both an honour and a privilege to be asked to assist in the 9-12 slot for the next few weeks. Lucy and I both know that we can't fill the great man's shoes, but we hope to brighten the tough morning's ahead."
    "I had the pleasure of working with Gerry on 'The G Ryan Show' in the early days; and of course Jim-Jim and I looked forward everyday to our 'handover' to Gerry. It's with a sense of keeping the show on the road - something Gerry would have wanted - that we all head into the next few weeks."
    Head of RTÉ 2fm John McMahon said that the new plans were a temporary schedule, set to run for four weeks, with a longer-term announcement due to be made in the coming weeks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0507/rte2fm.html

don't worry though it's only for a month

DJ Colm Hayes and television presenter Lucy Kennedy are set to present a morning show together on RTÉ 2fm for the coming month.
    The pair will present the 9am to 12 noon slot, which was previously presented by the late Gerry Ryan.
    Head of RTÉ 2fm John McMahon said: "We have all been devastated by the death of Gerry Ryan."
    Advertisement

"It is particularly painful to have to turn our minds to practicalities, but that is the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in."
    "We understand the desire of the media, the industry and indeed Gerry's listeners, to know what they can expect in 'The Gerry Ryan Show' slot in the coming weeks."
    "I have been moved by the hugely helpful response from colleagues within RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ generally; I would like to thank Colm Hayes for agreeing to temporarily separate from on-air partner Jim-Jim; and I would like to thank Lucy Kennedy for agreeing so readily to host the show for the next four weeks."

"To Gerry's listeners I would like to say: Gerry will not be forgotten. Yes, this is a new show, but we will continue our commitment to many of the items Gerry's listeners loved."
    "We'll keep up the allotment, Nob Nation will continue at 10am with the irrepressible Oliver Callan, and Colm and Lucy will open the line to callers for their own unique style of chat. We hope too to bring loyal listeners some of Gerry's best moments from over the years. The show goes on, albeit with a heavy heart."
    Lucy Kennedy has said: "When I did my recent stint on 2fm with Baz, little did I know I would be back so soon. I'm honoured to be asked and look forward to speaking with Gerry's listeners in the coming weeks."
    Says Colm Hayes: "It is both an honour and a privilege to be asked to assist in the 9-12 slot for the next few weeks. Lucy and I both know that we can't fill the great man's shoes, but we hope to brighten the tough morning's ahead."
    "I had the pleasure of working with Gerry on 'The G Ryan Show' in the early days; and of course Jim-Jim and I looked forward everyday to our 'handover' to Gerry. It's with a sense of keeping the show on the road - something Gerry would have wanted - that we all head into the next few weeks."
    Head of RTÉ 2fm John McMahon said that the new plans were a temporary schedule, set to run for four weeks, with a longer-term announcement due to be made in the coming weeks.

jdscrubs wrote: »
    On the RTE website

"

Advertisement

Head of RTÉ 2fm John McMahon said that the new plans were a temporary schedule, set to run for four weeks, with a longer-term announcement due to be made in the coming weeks"

Surprising choices. I think Colm Hayes will actually be good away from the silly stuff. I also enjoyed Lucy Kennedy filling in for the breakfast show recently. I'll be very interested to hear how this works out from Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

is that colm as in colm and jim jim?

oh gawd noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I actually think he could do a good job, especially if 2fm want to appeal to the same people as Gerry did. I say give him a chance anyway, he would be decent if he stopped trying to be funny like on the morning show, cos he's not!

only seeing there now that himself and Lucy have a go at it, will be interesting

I actually have always enjoyed Colm & Jim Jim but anyway, when I listened to Jim Jim & Paddy McKenna this morning I thought they had a good chemistry and that RTE would definitely do something with Paddy in the new schedule - I think he's very funny actually.

Colm and Lucy should be good - a bit of serious and a bit of fun hopefully. I'll definitely give them a chance and listen in on Monday.

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I actually have always enjoyed Colm & Jim Jim but anyway, when I listened to Jim Jim & Paddy McKenna this morning I thought they had a good chemistry and that RTE would definitely do something with Paddy in the new schedule - I think he's very funny actually.

Colm and Lucy should be good - a bit of serious and a bit of fun hopefully. I'll definitely give them a chance and listen in on Monday.

I thought the same myself about Paddy McKenna this morning. He was very natural and him and Jim bounce off each other very well. Colm always seems to try too hard. Would be nice to hear Paddy have do more than the sports bulletin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Come back Jerry all is forgiven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

patrickc wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0507/rte2fm.html

don't worry though it's only for a month

Will that mean that Jim Jim will be on his own for the morning time show I wonder. In my opinion, I don't think either Colm or Jim Jim work well on their own. They sound dried up and lost without each other when having to present solo. They might work well together (If that's your taste), but certainly can't pull it off alone.

Cringe radio here we come!!

Will that mean that Jim Jim will be on his own for the morning time show I wonder. In my opinion, I don't think either Colm or Jim Jim work well on their own. They sound dried up and lost without each other when having to present solo. They might work well together (If that's your taste), but certainly can't pull it off alone.

Cringe radio here we come!!

No, Jim Jim is pairing up with Paddy McKenna for the month, and together they are much more enjoyable than either Jim Jim or Colm on their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I should of gone to spec savers - I didn't see that one coming

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

Come back Jerry all is forgiven

How utterly distasteful of you.

And I think that you will find his name begins with a 'G', and not 'J'.

Pure ignorance can be so frustrating at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Come back Gerry all is forgiven

too late now, but maybe he could do it from the other side through a medium:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Sean Moncrieff gets my number 1 vote. His Newstalk show is fine as it is, but I think he could be even more successful and reach a larger audience at 2fm just because more people listen to the station.

I'd also love to hear more Anton Savage, Fionn Davenport, and Declan Carty slotted in somewhere on the radio if there's a big shuffle.

I always switched Gerry's show off when Evelyn O'Rourke or Fiona Looney were on, and I hope they've no part in a new show.

I like Lucy Kennedy, and I hope she's good on the radio, but I think someone with a bit more experience would be better for this slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Oh No Colm & Lucy a match made in hell.............

Things must be bad in RTE iff all they offer is one side of a not funny duo and Lucy kennedy who is trying to convert people to gas

Thank god its only for a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I have to agree with someone who posted on *ANOTHER FORUM*, saying that Chris Barry would be a good replacement. Having worked with Chris, I know he'd be one person who actually could fit into that slot well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Fiona Looney??? No,, no no no no no. She is the worst.

She was the unfunniest gobdaw on the Panel, disaster on radio, her columns are such rubbish and while I was never a fan of Gerry, the fact she was put on the Mail the day after he died, on the cover, as being "The Woman closest to him" was disgusting. Oh was she? Oh yes, I can see that actually. Nevermind the woman he was married to for 26 years and his kids with, or his new missus. Defo Looney, defo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

From today's Indo
    DJ Colm Hayes and chat-show host Lucy Kennedy are the short-term replacements for Gerry Ryan.

'The Colm & Lucy Show' begins next Monday on 2fm, and will be produced by Ryan's production team, RTE revealed yesterday.

It will feature many of the same segments from 'The Gerry Ryan Show', including the skit 'Nob Nation' featuring comedian Oliver Callan. It will also feature vintage clips of the late broadcaster.

RTE said the new show would run for four weeks but within that period it expected to make an announcement regarding the long-term future of the 9am to noon weekday slot.

Head of 2fm John McMahon promised "Gerry would not be forgotten" and that the slot would continue to cater to his fans.

The 2fm slot for Lucy Kennedy comes after she filled in with TV presenter Baz Ashmawy on the station's breakfast show last month.

She said: "I'm honoured to be asked and look forward to speaking with Gerry's listeners in the coming weeks."

Hayes added: "It is both an honour and a privilege to be asked to assist in the slot for the next few weeks."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Has anyone mentioned Eamonn Dunphy yet?

I think he could be a really good choice, smart enough for the weighty stuff yet could still handle talking about Jordan's boobs or chatting to some ould one.

I think he's just anti-establishment enough to replace Gerry. I know some people love him and some people hate him, a bit like a certain 'G Ryan'. I think he could really work, I loved when he did The Last Word. Wonder could he be trusted to turn up on time every morning though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What about the idea of Marty Whelan taking over Gerry's old slot.

lol marty fook no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamo has just signed a deal with Newstalk, and I doubt he could cope with early stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Don't worry folks this Hayes/Kennedy thing is just a filler /methinks/. A bit like Fleetwood mac when Lindsey Buckingham left, it took two guys to replace him. In that case it just didn't wash. We will find out soon enough where this one will go. I'll listen in for a while for the nostalga factor for sure. Lucy had the broadcasting job from hell with podge and rodge. Proof, I guess, that she can work with anyone. As for a more permanent solution:

Tubbers - A backward step for him.
    Moncrief - Good enough where he is. (probably the best contender so far)
    Any of Gerry's peers and seniors (Marty, Eamon, Larry, Deric, Marion etc etc.) - wrong direction.
    Anton Savage - Possible. A bit typecast as a fill-in man maybe.
    Boucher Hayes - Way too posh. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65766032&postcount=94
    (Sorry about the freudian slip there calling Fiona Looney ms O'Rourke)(mods welcome to fix if you can be bothered)

There is a real need here (my opinion) for RTE to install a much younger person. There was a post earlier (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65770142&postcount=99) suggesting that RTE might hold a competition. Crass it maybe, but this IS pop culture RTE2 we are talking about. In honour of Gerry <bad joke alert> it would be a sheep eating contest of course.</bad joke alert>. I miss him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

christ no colm hayes and lucy kennedy i really hope it is only for the four weeks i know gerrys shoes will be hard to fill but there is no use in filling them with crap i think rte are trying the double up of colm and lucy just for a few weeks to see how it goes and if the feed back from the listeners are good i will bet my hat they will be left doing the 9-12 slot i am not really fans of both as you can tell but i will listen in on monday and then decide if the double up works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there anyone on non Dublin regional radio who may deserve a chance to reach out to a national audience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

What about Neil Prenderville of 96 in Cork....He is good on the telly too,I often watch his show on channel south....Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who's the fella who fills in for Tom Dunne? Think he used to present a morning show on Spin with another bloke.

Joe something, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Please make it stop!!!! The Kennedy/Hayes show is less than 30 mins on air and I've had enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

DT100 wrote: »
    What about Neil Prenderville of 96 in Cork....He is good on the telly too,I often watch his show on channel south....Just a thought

Sweet Jesus no. Prendeville is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

listened to it for the last hour.. its like carcrash radio... kenneday and hayes dont gel and kennedy is like my gawd look I am the new geriiii ryannn. anyway seeing as its their first day maybe they will grow on me and get better.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I just tuned in after Moyles.

Verdict to come. Knob nation sux btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

flazio wrote: »
    Is there anyone on non Dublin regional radio who may deserve a chance to reach out to a national audience?

Most of the local stations do their talk between 10-12 as well.

East Coast - Declan Meehan -
    South East Radio - Alan Corcoran - Ex-RTE
    WLR - Billy McCarthy
    96fm - Neil Prendaville
    Radio Kerry - Gerry O'Sullivan
    Clare FM - John Cooke
    Midlands - Will Faulkner

Those are the only ones I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

i listened for maybe 20 mins had enough then, but possibly Colm would do a better job on his own from the bit I listened to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i dont think i can bring myself to listen to it tbh so i cant comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

aaaarrrrrgghhhhhhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I actually thought Colm Hayes was always better when he was on his own!
    Get Lucy Kennedy out of there and he could probably do a good job I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jerry lee

I have always really liked Eoin Sweeney - he filled in for Gerry all last summer and has filled in for Fanning a lot too. Not a name but really sharp and good. Better than the inane ****e that's been on a lot lately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

I quite liked the show today, thought Colm done a decent job as i'm sure he was very nervous, he could def grow into the job. Not to sure about Lucy though need to be convinced. Will give both all the time they need, well 4 weeks anyway. Good Luck.

Big Shoes To Fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

So sad that we are talking of Gerry in past tense terms. Will really miss him as he was truly irreplaceable. Gerry was incredibly intelligent and eloquent and knew almost everything about anything and at the same time he was down to earth.Poor Gerry - what a talent and he was taken far too soon from us.

I would like to see Dave Fanning take over. I remember him standing in once and he usually includes stuff of interest from both the music and movie world. I think with time he would gradually make the slot his own and I can see him developing a rapport with the audience.

R.I.P Gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sad indeed to be talking about Gerry in past-tense terms, but sadly that's the way it is.

George Byrne of the Evening Herald seems to think that the contenders to replace him are Dave Fanning, Tom Dunne and Ray D'Arcy...

Personally, I'd reckon that Dave wouldn't honestly want it. Replacing his good friend would be difficult for him - and would leave RTÉ with another gap to fill in the evenings.

As for D'Arcy, RTÉ can't bring him over as he's got a good thing going with Today FM - and for another thing, he'd want to bring his team of Jenny, Will, etc. with him (and that's simply not the way the state broadcaster operates. You don't get to pick your team - they do.).

As for Tom, - I love the guy... but I don't think he'd be the replacement that Gerry deserves - in that he's a "safe bet" and is not likely to be as controversial as is needed... or hit as hard and as close to the bone as Mr. Ryan could.

All told, I think a newbie/outsider may well be required. Someone who'll shake things up just like Gerry did in 1988. Someone who'll make people sit up and take notice of 2FM ... God knows they need it.

And because of personal experience - having worked with him (all too briefly) - I would still think all the more highly of the powers that be in RTÉ.. if they were to approach Chris Barry. Seriously... he can do it... He can fill that show with a similar irreverance, cheek and - at the same time - utter gravitas and respect as Gerry Ryan did - while commanding the ear - AND the respect of the audience.

It won't happen though ... we're looking at a vastly different - and far less experimental or revolutionary RTÉ than we had back in 1988.

Gerry Ryan RIP ... I hope your successor is worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Chriskavo wrote: »
    So sad that we are talking of Gerry in past tense terms. Will really miss him as he was truly irreplaceable. Gerry was incredibly intelligent and eloquent and knew almost everything about anything and at the same time he was down to earth.Poor Gerry - what a talent and he was taken far too soon from us.

I would like to see Dave Fanning take over. I remember him standing in once and he usually includes stuff of interest from both the music and movie world. I think with time he would gradually make the slot his own and I can see him developing a rapport with the audience over time.

R.I.P Gerry.

you cant have a 3 hour daily show exclusively dedicated to discussing movies and music and those are the only two subjects on which fanning is competant or listenable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

God help the world if Ray Darcy or some other non-intellectual got this gig. Gerry Ryan was an extremely intelligent man & brought this across on radio with excellent knowledge and opinion. I think they should get someone of similar traits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

irishh_bob wrote: »
    you cant have a 3 hour daily show exclusively dedicated to discussing movies and music and those are the only two subjects on which fanning is competant or listenable

Obviously - but that would be only a small part of the show. Fanning certainly has the ability to reach out to an audience and engage with them. I agree with the post above yours when it said that 2FM needs someone new who can shake things up in a maverick kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skippymckeon

Let's face it nobody can fill Gerry's shoes 100%. RTE needs to find a man around the same age as Gerry that communicates well with women and men. Has a sympathic nature and extremely witty. Baz Ashmawy isnt prefect but might have potential?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Let's face it nobody can fill Gerry's shoes 100%. RTE needs to find a man around the same age as Gerry that communicates well with women and men. Has a sympathic nature and extremely witty. Baz Ashmawy isnt prefect but might have potential?

Seriously?! Too much of a messer and no one over the age of 25 would take him seriously.

Baz Ashmawy for gerry's old slot. pleaseeeeeee never say that out loud :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

Chriskavo wrote: »
    Obviously - but that would be only a small part of the show. Fanning certainly has the ability to reach out to an audience and engage with them. I agree with the post above yours when it said that 2FM needs someone new who can shake things up in a maverick kind of way.

I would have to agree with Chriskavo. Dave Fanning would be the best person to fill Gerry's shoes. He has done so in the past and he was quite good.

As for the current temporary hosts, from the bits that I have heard, Colm is actually quite good. Lucy is very quiet. I think she feels intimidated either by Colm or by having too big of shoes to fill, which is odd as she normally quite a loud and funny person

i like dave fanning have to say. just wonder if 2fm would want someone who can still take the calls from the public like the random ones gerry used to get. if so then this wouldnt be dave's thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skippymckeon

Interesting topic....must check out some of the suggestions mentioned. In any case I am not impressed with Colm and Lucy. Colm would be better on his own but Lucy irritates me trying to be funny but not managing. it will all depend on how the ratings are going. this week they might survive but not sure about next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement