Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm 9 - 12: Who should get the gig?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

jerry lee wrote: »
    I have always really liked Eoin Sweeney - he filled in for Gerry all last summer and has filled in for Fanning a lot too. Not a name but really sharp and good. Better than the inane ****e that's been on a lot lately...

hi Eoin !

Mod Edit: Therefore, anyone who greets a post saying "I think <DJ Name> is OK" with "Hi <DJ NAME>" gets a one day ban - no exceptions."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Seriously?! Too much of a messer and no one over the age of 25 would take him seriously.

I remember I used to listen to SPIN FM a couple of years back to this DJ couple. One was American and his wife was from Dublin. They were fantastic radio, very current, funny and likable. I can't remember their names but they're your answer in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Avril Hoare SHe Was Good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

Lucy's voice is starting to annoy me. The way she says CUUUUTE. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

not doing it for me. everything is so false.

i dont know which one i find the most annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

jerry lee wrote: »
    I have always really liked Eoin Sweeney - he filled in for Gerry all last summer and has filled in for Fanning a lot too. Not a name but really sharp and good. Better than the inane ****e that's been on a lot lately...

Never liked Eoin Sweeney. Found him irratating and always switched off the radio whenever he stood in for Gerry. Doesnt have a voice for radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

looks like no one can decide on here. someone mentioned anton mcsavage i think in one of the posts. if the station was to look for someone newish like this he is very good. fills in for matt cooper and did a slot when darcy was off. intelligent and a good way about him. i would consider him with a good back up team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Lucy's voice is starting to annoy me. The way she says CUUUUTE. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Personally Lucy Kennedy's voice is not starting to annoy me - it always has and I don't believe she' good enough or experienced enough for the show. Hayes may work out - in time. Afterall, it took G Ryan to be accepted by the listeners.

Anton Savage is another suggestion here. I hope not

just dawned on me vincent browne....hang on a minute!!!! he always has good banter with his guests on tv at night. i reckon he would be good doing a slot like this. wouldnt happen tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Avril Hoare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Shane10 wrote: »
    just dawned on me vincent browne....hang on a minute!!!! he always has good banter with his guests on tv at night. i reckon he would be good doing a slot like this. wouldnt happen tho.

The snorting, the sighing, the crankiness, the inability to keep his personal prejudices out of anything?

Perfect!

Sergeant wrote: »
    The snorting, the sighing, the crankiness, the inability to keep his personal prejudices out of anything?

Perfect!

hah, i always find him funny the way he sort of goades the guest on his nightime show. always has a bit of banter either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

what about the former sports reporter/broadcaster, now does lotto guy Shane O donohue I think it is. Also like Anton Savage.

hah, i always find him funny the way he sort of goades the guest on his nightime show. always has a bit of banter either way.

He is quite brilliant , I love the way he destroys Alan Dukes anytime he has him on his show. Always lulls him into a trap and then proceeds to rip the p**s out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Chriskavo wrote: »
    I remember I used to listen to SPIN FM a couple of years back to this DJ couple. One was American and his wife was from Dublin. They were fantastic radio, very current, funny and likable. I can't remember their names but they're your answer in my humble opinion.

Jack & Ali, god no, they were horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

After listening to this show all week I have come to the conclusion that Lucy Kennedy is the most stupid woman in Ireland. Yes, even more stupid than Mary Coughlan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

I didnt think 2fm could have a worse line up in the morning until i switched on on Monday morning...

Instead of having Colm & his inbred sidekick jim jim do their usual rant we now are subjected to the inbred jim jim and Paddy (you can take me out of the bog, but you cant take the bog out of me) McKenna followed by Colm and Lucy.. Can it get any worse?

I have already had my fill of lucy kennedy on the bord gas ads but now her "hee hee hee" can be heard on radio too...

an ex-2fm listener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I reckon I could put up with Colm but Lucy is just so annoying. Juvenile, stupid and the hee hee thing..... GGGRRR !!! I know they can been thrown in at the deep end and they are only there temporarily, but a lot of radio dials will be tuning in elsewhere if this continues. And once those listeners go elsewhere, it will be very difficult to get them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I,D like Dave fanning 3 days a week, then thursday / friday a female presenter orla barry or claire byrne.I THINK its ridiculous that 90 per cent of programs are presented by men , and orla is great .Shes intelligent ,witty ,young can talk about any subject and shes not afraid to get into a fight with someone and shes not an egomaniac .Shes down to earth and independent , like a female version of moncrief.
    And she does,nt try to pretend to like everyone.
    OF course she doesn,t have a chance of getting the job cos shes got no
    contacts in rte.
    She sounds like shes actually met some ordinary people ie she has not grown up in montrose or south dublin.
    I do not want to be rude but certain djs get so much money ,they lose
    all touch with ordinary people and they spend alot of time in hotels and posh restaurant, they become part of the establishment.
    And they should keep on fiona looney as shes quite funny when she,s on the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

jayo99 wrote: »
    I have already had my fill of lucy kennedy on the bord gas ads but now her "hee hee hee" can be heard on radio too...

+1

is she the female Craig Doyle?

RTE loves pushing no talent unlovables at us.

Might be time to withhold the licence fee ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

evelyn o rourke!!! she was his researcher and close friend. Shes brill!!! go evelyn
    marty whelan had his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Evelyn o rourke... No !
    Fiona Looney .. No !
    Dave Fanning.. NO !!!
    Lucy Kennedy.. NOOOOOO!!!
    Colm (whatever his surname) .. NOOO !!
    Claire Byrne.. Not out of the question..

Evelyn o rourke... No !
    Fiona Looney .. No !
    Dave Fanning.. NO !!!

Get Howerd Stern over from New York and pay him loadz of money.He is the only guy who could fill Gerry's shoes. Never happen sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

I listened to the show a few times this week, for a few minutes each time. The three presenter thing doesn't work at all and whoever the girl is, she comes over as a half wit who appeared to be competing with the other presenter to be noticed. Every time I tuned in I couldn't listen for more than a few minutes, mainly because she seemed to be desperate to bring herself to our attention, and I found her annoying and switched off after a few minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Get Howerd Stern over from New York and pay him loadz of money.He is the only guy who could fill Gerry's shoes. Never happen sadly.

Howard has been terrible for the past 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Unless you live in new york, howard stern is usually boring, and he talks to artie stern who sounds like a 100 year old pensioner ,whos miserable.
    HE, s ok when hes interviewing someone smart and funny ,not a c list starlet or playboy model .I,LL bet we,ll end up with a 40 year old male presenter whos worked in rte for ten years ,ie rte is run like the civil service ,its more on who you know than you are a fantastic presenter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The best suggestion so far is Anton Savage.

Please don't let it be Matt Cooper. I'd miss him on my drive home too much.

How about Dara O'Briain? He'd probably never do it as his UK career is doing so well, but he's a good presenter, and both funny and intellegent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Evelyn o rourke... No !
    Fiona Looney .. No !
    Dave Fanning.. NO !!!

Anything positive or constructive to post because your last two post are most certainly not. Oh and its Hayes... Colm Hayes. 30 odd years broadcasting experience here and there. ;)

Just thinking outside this box here and my first thoughts on the "replacement" or the "future" of RTE 2FM. Firstly let it be made clear that Colm and Lucy are only playing a caretaking role at the moment while the dust settles. They are not the "replacements" so to speak. Who knows what RTE will do but for sure they are not going to rush into anything a week or two after the death of one of their best radio presenters. Anyone going into that slot was bound to be under pressure.

I would like to see the night time slots get a shake up. Maybe the next G Ryan getting to learn his/her audience at night whilst a more established presenter holds the current slot for the next year or so.

The current choice isn't great. Shortlist maybe made up of the following
    R Turbridy
    J Duffy
    M Cagney
    B Lang
    A Kennedy

I think its important though that the new presenter has a touch of working class, went to public school etc. Thats the listener more or less listening to 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

There was a certin uniqness about Gerry Ryan that is irreplaceable the only one that i think would come anywhere near would be Joe Duffey but even at that there will never be anyone the same.RIP Gerry...

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    my money is on Sean Moncrief.

Yea he wouldent be too bad never thought of that:confused:

i was thinking if they went with the same type of show that Joe Duffy would switch from LiveLine and carry on the phone type interview theme. anyone else think this?

Yea i totally aggree i would listen to Joe Duffey i often listen to liveline and Joe can be a bit of fun and is very good at chatting to people yes he would definetly be my choise i personally wouldent bother with any of the others mentioned allready.

I woundn't mind seeing Rick O'Shea doing the slot, with evelyn and fiona looney beening involved.

You have to be joking not Rick O' Shea Nooooooooo Pleaseeeeeeeee running for my medication now:eek::eek::eek:

deelite wrote: »
    I've changed my mind to Brendan O'Connor and I'm not joking I think he would be great.

LOL Sure he would put everyone to sleep with his drowney ol voice and moaning constantley.:eek::eek::eek:

washiskin wrote: »
    At the risk of being shot out of the water my thoughts are turning to the following:

Bring back Jim O Neill - plays great music & may suit the new audience profile.

Continue the format with Mark Cagney at the mic - can be empathic but perhaps not savvy enough - great voice though.

Put in Miriam O'Callaghan - good voice, charming, intelligent and might just spare us the awful tv show this summer plus a mature woman may appeal to GRyan's audience.

Hoosh Ray D'arcy & Co over from Today FM but straighten him out a bit vis. the pontificating and bad presentation style plus Ms Kelly may just keep la Looney at bay.

As an absolute last resort put in Rick O'Shea - I find his voice ok but maybe not enough gravitas to hold a decent audience share in that slot.

Should I get me coat? :)

I personally wouldent like Miriam O'Callaghan doing it she's too sweet and goodey goodey and she's way too mature for that kind of format. As for Ray D'arcy i dont think he would come back to RTE anyway.

jos28 wrote: »
    Chris Evans crossed my mind as well but not only could RTE not afford him, I don't think he would appeal to an Irish audience. I would be completely opposed to Moncrieff getting the gig. We really do need a huge radion personality which as you say, we don't have.

I also think it is a great idea not to rush into any decision. There's no harm in keeping the temporary format of chat and music with guest presenters. It would have been near Gerry's holiday break anyway, so best bet would be to wait. Is Gerry Ryan's brother a presenter ? Anyone know what he might be like on air?

No none of Gerrys brothers are presenters certainley as far as i know one of them is in the softwere buisness iam not sure about the other one.

• Advertisement

Chris Evens is paid really big bucks RTE could never afford him:eek:

tubbers seems the obvious choice to change over but would he be mad to do a 3hr show and the late late. possible not ?
    I dout Tubbers would do it the LLS show has a very hevey work load and doing a 3 hour work load along with that 5 days a week sure poor Tubbers is skinney enough sure all we would have in the chair on the LLS then would be a skeloten in a suit:eek::eek:

Gerry was the court jester of the Irish establishment

Yep it's really going too be hard to fill that slot:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Helium

My own personal opinion is the 'suits' out in Montrose will make a balls of it anyway.There should be a complete revamp of their schedule from dawn till dusk.
    Nobody will replace the 'Great' man himself from 9 - 12 and any attempt will FAIL!!
    Maybe move Colm & Jim forward an hour till 10 ( Yes I think there good ) and then have a 10 - 12 slot available for someone new or present. Like others have said , they should think about outside of 'Hallowed' grounds of RTE!
    Personally I would love to see Terry Wogan come out of retirement for a year till someone permanent could be found.
    Why Not????

jos28 wrote: »
    I really think they should just keep guest presenters in the 9-12 slot until the end of the summer rather that rush into something. I know I'm setting myself up to be shot down but I would give Gerry's eldest daughter a guest slot for a week or two. She wants a career in broadcasting, the crew would guide her along and it might be interesting to see what she is made of. Her father wasn't much older than her when he started.

Now theres a thought that would be a lovely gesture to give Gerry's eldest daughter a guest slot for a couple of weeks Gerry would be proud and id say she would be chuffed to get the chance to do it id love that to happen for her.

• Advertisement

jordata wrote: »
    +1 for Terry Wogan - he'd shake things up a bit in Montrose[/QUOT

Wogan wouldend do it and RTE couldent afford him either Gay Byrne wouldent take on that kind of a work load now sure he's in his 70s now have to say he looks extremely well for his age.

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I actually have always enjoyed Colm & Jim Jim but anyway, when I listened to Jim Jim & Paddy McKenna this morning I thought they had a good chemistry and that RTE would definitely do something with Paddy in the new schedule - I think he's very funny actually.

Colm and Lucy should be good - a bit of serious and a bit of fun hopefully. I'll definitely give them a chance and listen in on Monday.

Yes it is good to give them a chance i like Lucy Kennedy i used to like her when she did the Podge/Rodge show too emmmm could you all imagine Podge/Rodge filling the slot Gerry would have some laugh at that.:D:D:D

Bard wrote: »
    I have to agree with someone who posted on *ANOTHER FORUM*, saying that Chris Barry would be a good replacement. Having worked with Chris, I know he'd be one person who actually could fit into that slot well...

Your joking surley Chris Barry sure he would probabley hypnotyse us all through the airwaves.:eek:

I for one hope it never happens he's the most boring man iv ever listened too:eek::eek::eek:

A well sure we could all be here forever suggesting different DJ'S to fill the slot and there's some good suggestions and i mentioned one or two as well but i dont think i'll really ever tune in again to 2fm no one will be the same as GERRY RYAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

In my opinion, anyone is better than Ryan. God he was annoying, he interrupted every caller with 'theatrical' rants...I couldn't stand his show.

In my opinion, anyone is better than Ryan. God he was annoying, he interrupted every caller with 'theatrical' rants...I couldn't stand his show.

You are entitled to your opinion but I beg to differ. The guy was absolutely outstanding, an incredible communicator who could converse on any subject.Very entertaining and very intelligent and articulate although he could make your blood boil on occasion. He helped me get through work for the last 10 yrs and I will always be grateful to him for that. I watched his interview with Tubridy and was amazed by his searing honesty. R.I.P. Gerry.

You are entitled to your opinion but I beg to differ. The guy was absolutely outstanding, an incredible communicator who could converse on any subject.Very entertaining and very intelligent and articulate although he could make your blood boil on occasion. He helped me get through work for the last 10 yrs and I will always be grateful to him for that. I watched his interview with Tubridy and was amazed by his searing honesty. R.I.P. Gerry.

'Searing honesty'? Let me tell you a story.

I was recently at an event at which he was a guest of another attendee. It was an awards ceremony of sorts. He was sitting at the next table to mine, and about 15 minutes in I noticed him speaking to the guy who brought him. After a moment he stood up and left. The guy looked bewildered, but about 2 mins later he stood up and followed him. I'd completely forgotten about it until I went to the bathroom about 30 mins later and saw the two of them at the bar. Gerry was tucking into his pint and talking animatedly, while the other guy was sitting beside him looking at his watch and looking deeply unhappy. I returned to my seat, but I noticed the two of them coming back in shortly before the end. Gerry spent the remainder of the show muttering to his companion and smirking, while his companion looked wretched.

I would have forgotten about this had I not heard his show the next morning. He mentioned the event and said that it had been fantastic, and that he was inspired by the 'hope' that all the people had. It really annoyed me, it was one of the most smarmy and fake things I'd ever heard.

Don't get me wrong; I believe he was generally a nice enough guy and he seems to have been a loving and devoted father. I just wish that everyone wouldn't jump to defend his character based on his radio persona (which seems to have cause a love/hate reaction depending on who you talk to). His was a particular brand of personality, and nobody will come close to being the same, but after however many years of his show I'm eager to see what they replace him with long term.

'Searing honesty'? Let me tell you a story.

Ha Ha Ha! Only makes me love the guy more who was probably bored silly having to attend some awards show at the behest of his employers. Big Deal! who doesn't say a little fib now and again. Sounds like you have a gripe with the man that colors your negative view of him Good luck to ya!

Sounds like you have a gripe with the man which colors your negative view of him Good luck to ya!

Good counter. Oddly enough, forming an opinion based on an actual experience is fairly common. Needing a radio personality to get through a shift at work? Sounds like you've got a bit of hero worship going :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement