Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Muay Thai article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭corkma

It's a shame that the article opens with an misinformed picture of MT as some savage sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Im not really sure where you getting this picture from, it doesnt come across that way to me, infact its totally the opposite. Some documentaries or articles describe its as the brutal sport of MT and its far from described like taht. Unless its from this qoute? “I've had a few injuries that have left me unable to walk,” says Jono Bracken, Ireland’s reining light-middleweight Thaiboxing champion.
    “Mostly leg injuries from kicking and being kicked.”

Sure you could say that of any contact sport, injuries are inevitable in every sport. Its not like they take the line of two men enter one man leave. I think its actually quite tame they way they portray MT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Rob Carry

corkma wrote: »
    It's a shame that the article opens with an misinformed picture of MT as some savage sport

I don't mean this in a negative way but isn't Muay Thai about as about as brutal as sports come? As the interviewee says, the idea is to get in there and inflict as much damage on your opponent as you can before he does it to you. I love Muay Thai and don't mean that as a criticism but lets call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I really liked this article.

I think people train for different reasons, some love the discipline, for some its the history and perserving traditions and a whole lot of other reasons, all of which I respect.
    There are some people who just like to fight, I reckon Thai is very well suited to those people and I think that this is represented well in the article.
    Rob Carry wrote: »
    lets call a spade a spade

Its just my opinion, but having trained with and having been trained by Jono I reckon he is one of those people who likes to fight and he would much quicker refer to himself as a 'Fighter' before 'a martial artist'.

Advertisement