Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Excess - disgraceful

Options
  • 05-05-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

My 2 year old blocked up my downstairs bathroom sink and left the tap running. The floor got soaked in the bathroom and hall. It was about 2 days before we noticed the skirting boards come away from the walls - the water had obviously soaked into the wood and expanded them. Husband went over to Management Co yesterday and was told that we need to get our own assessor and that we also have to pay the first 750 euro of any claim! I cannot belive that, it's a crazy amount for excess. I have got 3 different quotes alone that all have excess amounts of less than 350 euro. I understand the "block policy" is why it is increased but by 400 euro just seems madness. I am absolutely furious about this, plus I am in a 3 bed semi so I am not even actually part of a "block". I enquired about the exact amount of my annual fees that go to insurance and I was told that it's 119euro. So all the rest Im paying is for the upkeep of the area alone? Because in a 3 bed semi they dont even do my garden. They did not budget for the varnishing. Im furious over this. In the Grove btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

As your in a semi should you not have your own home and contents insurance? Wouldnt have even thought it would be covered by any block policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

in a 3 bed semi in the court we've to pay our own insurance in full. Thought it'd be the same everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think when it's timber framed, the houses are put on a block policy...shame really if you are in a three semi back-to-back house. I think you are paying a modest amount for the buildings insurance through your management fee. The excess on the other hand probably reflects this. The insurance arrangement is poor for individuals with houses...apartments are different.

As opposed to apartments, you would own the exterior of the house right to the boundary...ie you own the lawn, the driveway, the hedging etc...which you maintain and not the amanagement company! Maintenance is about ownership and who is obligated to keep the area maintained...insurance is unfortunately a different matter.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

You need your own contents insurance whether you're in an apt. or house. The insurance with the management company is only buildings insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

contents insurance won't cover damage to the fabric of the house like this, but the block insurance (from the sounds of things) isn't designed to cover minor damage either.

Its a grey area alright - you probably could take out buildings insurance of you own, but you'd still be obliged to pay the management fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

loyatemu wrote: »
    ...you probably could take out buildings insurance of you own...

I don;t think the management company or insurance comapny would subscribe to it .... and then paying for buildings insurance twice doesn't mean you'll get a double payout...buildings insurance , no matter how many policies you have, will only pay out for the value of the claim i.e. shared proportionally across the policies - excess will apply to each policy too, so not worth your while.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement