Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Sydney is expensive"....ah shurrup!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Zambia232 wrote: »

You see I would disagree while every man and his dog was buying houses in ireland for CA that is not the case here. People here seem to want to buy most stock to live in.

in some parts of WA its worse than it ever got at home - people with double figure properties banking on the mines always requiring huge numbers of people to be put up - didnt seem as bad on the east coast but the australian mentality to housing is extremely similar to ireland (up to 07) -

whatever way you look at it Australia is in for a pretty big awakening - as long as you're smart about it, are not buying a home solely as an investment and can afford to withstand a lot of interest rate increases (+ dont really care about loosing money in real terms)...then i would not try to dissuade anyone against buying - (its often a pointless exercise anyway)

alot of people fell into that bracket at home in late 06/07 and i guarantee if you asked any of them now whether they regret buying or not there would be only one answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    in some parts of WA its worse than it ever got at home - people with double figure properties banking on the mines always requiring huge numbers of people to be put up - didnt seem as bad on the east coast but the australian mentality to housing is extremely similar to ireland (up to 07) -
    I never knew it was like that in WA, in Melbourne its pretty hard to find a decent property for sale. Never mind successfully buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cerey

You think Sydney is expernsive, try Perth!!! Most isolated city in Australia. Although still nowhere near as bad as Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You see I would disagree while every man and his dog was buying houses in ireland for CA that is not the case here. People here seem to want to buy most stock to live in.
    One in seven Australian taxpayers has at least one investment property. One in ten are claiming negative gearing on investment property.
    In relation to buying a house life is what happens when your making plans. Sometimes we just have to get on with life and get in the ring. Spent enough time waiting to migrate just to go sit on my hands and wait to buy a house...
    You misinterpreted my post, I intended to say the market is of interest to those settling in Australia and potentially buying a house. For those not settling in Australia but interested in current affairs it is also of interest.

As for life happening while one makes plans, I managed to migrate without buying a house. I haven't had to stop living, in fact I've had the life of Reilly with my huge disposable income.

Can someone please tell me how to create a new thread???? Cant find the button :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

cerey wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how to create a new thread???? Cant find the button :confused:

Go to the main Australia New Zealand page and it at top left hand side.

ballooba wrote: »
    As for life happening while one makes plans, I managed to migrate without buying a house. I haven't had to stop living, in fact I've had the life of Reilly with my huge disposable income.

Cant really get into that without asking loads of personnal questions mate.

But rest assured in some ways I am a little envious, we all require different things. If it was just me I would be living out of the back of a Hilux somewhere north of Woop woop.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Go to the main Australia New Zealand page and it at top left hand side.
    Thanks Mate

Cant really get into that without asking loads of personnal questions mate.

But rest assured in some ways I am a little envious, we all require different things. If it was just me I would be living out of the back of a Hilux somewhere north of Woop woop.
    It's true that circumstances and hence personal values vary. Personally if my own circumstances demanded I buy a house I would be vary careful to buy well within my means and be conscious of the significant risk probability of losing over 33% of the purchase price.

I'm lucky that my personal circumstances don't dictate that I buy and I can rent a beautiful place for peanuts. I'm hoping that if a wife or children start to impact on my values that comfort and quality of life will trump security of tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You think Sydney is expernsive, try Perth!!! Most isolated city in Australia. Although still nowhere near as bad as Ireland!!

What makes you think Perth is more expensive than the likes of Sydney?

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What makes you think Perth is more expensive than the likes of Sydney?
    Have you lived in both cities...do I really need to explain myself on this one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have you lived in both cities...do I really need to explain myself on this one?!

Well yes it would be nice if you could explain why. It generally helps.

I haven't lived in Sydney but plan heading there at some stage so it would good to get an idea as to the price differences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The very first thing I noticed here in Sydney is how property mad they are. Much like Ireland was before the crash. Rates are rising now and all of a sudden new home buyers cant afford to buy anymore. The next 6-12 months will be very interesting as many people here are up to their eye balls in debt. Very much like Ireland in fact, so similar its scary. I expect at least one bank to be bailed out when the **** its the fan.

jank wrote: »
    The very first thing I noticed here in Sydney Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney is how property mad they are. Much like Ireland was before the crash. Rates are rising now and all of a sudden new home buyers cant afford to buy anymore. The next 6-12 months will be very interesting as many people here are up to their eye balls in debt. Very much like Ireland in fact, so similar its scary. I expect at least one bank to be bailed out when the **** its the fan.

If (when) one bank requires a bail out in Australia, they all do (will) - thats a hugely incestious relationship if ever there was one - they can flute sound fundamentals all they want (just as they did in ireland) - but with the amount of investment properties and soon to be over stretched FHB's the exposure of the banks will be finally shown for what it is -

The whole, well regulated argument is another funny one too - in the same way our "well regulated" financial system was revealed to be a joke...

On the different prices in different cities - I never really noticed it myself, people in every city always seemed to believe they were the most expensive but they're was broad consensus that Perth was the most expensive...again I never really noticed it...

Also if you want expensive try NZ especially factoring in wages.

Also if you want expensive try NZ especially factoring in wages.

Really? I find NZ to be pretty cheap - locally and converting to Oz or Euro...but to be honest i'm not great with day to day prices

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

When you look at cost taken in Euro in Sydney, it looks expensive. Currently the Aussie Dollar is running at about 0.70 to 1 Euro.

However, if you look at cost ignoring Euro and just looking at your salary and bang for your buck, it's pretty good.

For example, a 100,000 Euro salaried position in Ireland commands about 200,000 AUSD in Sydney. 200K AUSD gets you much more in Sydney than 100K Euro in Ireland.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    For example, a 100,000 Euro salaried position in Ireland commands about 200,000 AUSD in Sydney. 200K AUSD gets you much more in Sydney than 100K Euro in Ireland.

On €100,000 PA it matters little where you live.

Really? I find NZ to be pretty cheap - locally and converting to Oz or Euro...but to be honest i'm not great with day to day prices

Ah yea converting from one to the other is great but try working and living there for more than a year where the full effect of the bad wages and crap kiwi dollar comes into effect. OK rent is cheap enough and so are cars and fuel but everything else is more expensive relatively than OZ.

Both OZ and NZ are cheaper than Ireland though and no I am not from Dublin. I think the big thing here is that loads of people who go abroad are living away from home for the first time and when they have to start paying rent and bills their booze up money that is left over is less than they had at home while living at home with Ma & Pa. Therefore the conclusion is OZ is expensive.

Yea somethings in OZ are more expensive like rent in Sydney but generally once my rent is paid I have more money in my bank acc than I did in NZ and I am paying almost 3 times as much for it here!!

If you want to be living in a nice pad in Prymont and drinking in the better clubs down darling harbour and eating at the better restaurants than of course sydney will be expensive. Cut your cloth to measure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Because not all Irish people are from Dublin.

Are you under the delusion that somehow Ireland outside of Dublin is not expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Are you under the delusion that somehow Ireland outside of Dublin is not expensive?

Seemingly.

When I left most large country towns were at least 4 euro a pint (which was close on 8 bucks at the time). Saying Sydney is expensive because a pint is cheaper in Carrick on Suir than it is in the Sydney isnt a great comparison ffs :pac: .Apart from rent prices in Ireland are nearly the same for everything. Its all chain stores.

Come to think of it I found Nth Queensland to be an awful rip off. Five bucks an hour for internet in some small towns!

Cant get over the amount of offers here either. Cheap Tuesday at the flicks and some bars/ restaurants, happy hours, complimentary drink/ free food on arrival. Imagine any of this in Ireland (at least during the Celtic Tiger years)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

On €100,000 PA it matters little where you live.

Not really.

Ah yea converting from one to the other is great but try working and living there for more than a year where the full effect of the bad wages and crap kiwi dollar comes into effect. OK rent is cheap enough and so are cars and fuel but everything else is more expensive relatively than OZ.

I am living/working here about 7 months exclusively on kiwi dollar and to be honest I find it as similarly cheap as Australia (suppose it depends on work though - i know a few here not finding it too cheap at the moment) - it is all relative though and the kiwi dollar has stengthened over the last while...
    Saying Sydney is expensive because a pint is cheaper in Carrick on Suir than it is in the Sydney isnt a great comparison ffs

Ha - good old Carrick - how did that make it into a discussion of the price of sh1t in Australia/New Zealand? Always gets its head in

Ha - good old Carrick - how did that make it into a discussion of the price of sh1t in Australia/New Zealand? Always gets its head in

It was never far from Wayne Swans mind this last few months.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Not really.

In both countrys you would have more than enough for a comfortable life.

It was never far from Wayne Swans mind this last few months.

I always knew Carrick's reach was far and wide but didnt realise it was keeping Swanny awake at night :) he's probably not the only one...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Was on hols in Oz and NZ recently and found Oz surprisingly expensive! We'd only arrived there and paid like 8 dollars for two bottles of water in Airlie Beach! Defo found it was more expensive than I'd imagined it would be - more or less just like Dublin or even pricier. NZ - now that was cool, with the exchange rate we divided everything by 2 (I know it's more like 1.8!) - so happy days there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't think the price of goods in Aus has changed that much in the last three years, but when I came here it was £1 sterling to $2.50 australian, now £1 sterling gets you more like $1.65, so yes, relative to when I moved here first, Australia would look far more expensive to me now if I was coming down here with my Euros or Sterling money.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Sydney is probably one of the most expensive cities I've ever been to. It made Paris (let alone dublin) seem cheap with regards to some things. We were quoted 40 euros+ for a bed in a dorm a few months ago. The hostels aren't of great quality either. Go into 7 eleven to buy a can of coke and you get charged $2.50+, a bar of chocolate the same or higher. So you're talking the bones of 5 euros for a can of coke and a bar of chocolate. Now i know you can get it cheaper in the supermarkets, but going to coles or woolies is not always an option. Bottles of water at 3 dollars is also a joke. The tourist attractions also were pretty pricey for what they were. Public transport was expensive also, 3 dollars plus to get you any sort of distance.

Also the supermarkets didn't appear to be that cheap for a lot of things. A loaf of bread was nearly 4 dollars.

Petrol is a bit cheaper than home but you need to use a lot more of it as distances are much bigger than home. Also their speeding fines are crazy expensive ;) (200 dollars!) It was also majorly hot when we were there so we needed the air con on and that drinks fuel. But it's definatly going to kill their tourist industry. We got quoted 45 dollars one night for a small camper site in a campsite. I'm sure it's different if you're working and earning ozzie dollars.It was the least value for money place I've ever visited.

NZ on the other hand we found to be great value for money. Again I'm sure it's differnt if you're earning kiwi dollars and living there. Supermarkets were excellent value, quality of the produce was miles ahead of oz.

• Advertisement

Obviously it's expensive now for visitors from Europe/USA because your currencies are in the toilet. Australia hasn't had the GFC yet, but hopefully the currency will moderate against EUR/USD soon, the Aussies seem to think the strong AUD is a good thing. Your average person only thinks as far as their annual holiday. But if you're living in Aus and earning AUD then it's cheap.

Advertisement