Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate/carpet question

• 05-05-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hi

We are putting laminate down in the hall and carpet on the stairs. Should we put the carpet down first, laminate down first or does it matter at all?

Cheers
    Robert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

I would put the carpet down first. Just from the point of view of getting the timber and if there is a trim running across the bottom step that the carpet will be held back in place by it. Do you know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

yeah that makes sense - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Laminate floor always goes in first. Firstly there will be lots of the dust when cutting the laminate boards. Also If there is a small gap between riser and laminate floor, then the carpet will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I definitely agree with King Mallie. We had our flooring installed and the carpeting on the bottom step had to be taken up and refitted after the laminate was put down. As King Mallie said there is dust everywhere when the cut the flooring, so I'd wait if you can!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If i am doing it i put the flooring in first. As the concrete floor destroys the carpet very quickly. However if you can order the flooring and carpet in the same place and let them arrange fitting they usually do them both the same week so you avoid mess. Keep some of the peices for the concrete floor.

You can also PVA the floor to get the dust down.

• Advertisement

If i am doing it i put the flooring in first. As the concrete floor destroys the carpet very quickly. However if you can order the flooring and carpet in the same place and let them arrange fitting they usually do them both the same week so you avoid mess. Keep some of the peices for the concrete floor.

You can also PVA the floor to get the dust down.

Thanks guys, I still would have thought carpet first if I can get them down at the same time ? Is that what you are saying Joey? The only time I had something similar done we already had a carpet on the stairs and the fitter went right up to the stair with the plank.

Also - looking to get the underlay online as it is much cheaper - does this stuff look ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

There does not have to be dust if you use a proper laminate boards cutter. After all it is just compressed pulp. You should be able to hire a cutter or buy one cheap.

Just to follow up again - anyone have an opinion on what underlay to get for laminate - concrete floor and i know it needs water membrane, most I have seen are 3mm but would getting a 2mm one make all that difference?

Advertisement