Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mist

Options
  • 05-05-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen "The Mist"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/

I picked it up yesterday based on the cover/back story alone, and its Stephen King, although somewhat hit and miss, when its a hit... its a hit!

Also on the back it said witness the ending thats shocked audiences all over.

So curiousty made me get it only 10 euros in laser, have to say I thought it was brilliant. I love horrors with a lot of mystery and/or creature feature elements. This reminded me of Cloverfield in some parts, very mysterious.

The ending was amazing too, Didn't really see it coming. And a lot of the mystery and questions don't get answered which is a good thing... i think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Yeah, very good film - I remember that when it first came out several of my friends said it was shíte, so much for their opinions :pac:

Ending is definitely one of the more memorable of movie endings :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a very good film, definitely one of the best adaptations of King's work. Did you watch the colour version or the black & white? I originally saw the colour version, but it's worth getting the 2-disc DVD release with the black and white version - a lot of the film was intended to be shot in black and white so there are numerous scenes that are more effective, and the special effects are much creepier too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I just picked up the colour one, must check out this black and white one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Saw the colour version originally and loved it,saw the B+W version afterwards and loved it even more.Its almost a 100% faithful adaptation of the book(barring ending)the sometimes intrusive CGI integrates almost seemlessly plus there are a load of extended/added scenes that give better depth and understanding of the protaginists.All in all,its fookin made of pure win.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Kazuma wrote: »
    Yeah, very good film - I remember that when it first came out several of my friends said it was shíte, so much for their opinions :pac:

Ending is definitely one of the more memorable of movie endings :D

I often find I like movies that other people hate or recommend against :pac:

As for the ending, I was not sure whether to laugh or cry! However, it was an interesting and indeed memorable ending; far better than the usual, formulaic happy endings that 99.9% of movies have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bealzebub259

I really enjoyed this film, but the cgi was waning in some parts which I believed made it slightly less believable. The ending was amazing, really unexpected and very Stephen King. You read any of his books?

I saw the colour version, never knew there was a B+W version till reading here

The ending was amazing, really unexpected and very Stephen King.

The ending is all Darabont.King has even publically said that he would have ended it that way if he had of thought of it,high praise indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I really enjoyed this film, but the cgi was waning in some parts which I believed made it slightly less believable. The ending was amazing, really unexpected and very Stephen King. You read any of his books?

I saw the colour version, never knew there was a B+W version till reading here

Your CGI issues will reduce greatly with the Black and White version. It's blindingly apparent Darabont filmed it all with Black and White in mind, the bright candy red colour of the blood one of the biggest giveaways. Fact of the matter is he was never making it to work in colour.

Completely sickens me how badly this films release was treated and ruined by the limited cinema release of an inferior version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I noticed he is painting a pic of the gunslinger from stephen kings other series of books at the start of the film, i havent read the book of the mist but is there a reason for this i missed(mist!wha!) other than just an in joke type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Mates of mine told me it was crap but watched it few months ago on one of the sky movies channels. Thought it was fab, build in atmosphere throughout the film was fantastic. Didnt realise it was available in black and white as well, must check it out.
    Think the painting of the gunslinger was an in joke, a lot of Kings books revolve around the dark tower series in terms of parrallel worlds etc.
    Did i hear right or is one of the creators of Lost bring the Dark Tower to the big screen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh i read something about that the other day alright, good luck with that one!

Part of the mystique is that its possible the Mist was a "thinny" that occur throughout the Dark Tower cycle,this may or may not be the case but the vast majority of Kings work is in some way connected with the Dark Tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    I just picked up the colour one, must check out this black and white one.

Just lower the colour on your telly to black and white...save a few bob! :D

Excellent film and the ending was 10 times better than the short story which just had them all clinging onto hope.. yawn...

trustno1 wrote: »
    Just lower the colour on your telly to black and white...save a few bob! :D

Blasphemy!! :D

Honestly though, it's no exaggeration to say the B&W version is an entirely different film, it's had a major colour correction job done on it that improves the afformentioned shoddy CGI (still shoddy, but good shoddy!), gives the film a genuine old school tone and holy crap but that mist looks good in B&W!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Love this movie to.

Have to say though that I really enjoyed the cheesy goodness of the colour version as it made me feel like i was watching an old kinda B movie rather then a Blockbuster though the B&W is amazing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I read the short story in Skeleton Key and loved it and all through the film I was thinking how accurate an adaptation it was. Then the ending....:eek:. The whole screen just sat there in silence for at least a minute into the credits. Fantastic job. I will defo check out the B+W version.

As for The Dark Tower, I know it appears in some form in a lot of King books but I don't see how they could make it a movie without sacrificing a lot of the story I hope it is never made into a cheap TV movie like a lot of his books. But that's another thread all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The ending just made me throw my eyes up. You could tell they were just trying to shovel on the despair at that point.

Shame because I'd consider it one of my favourite horror movies up to the final 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Decuc500 wrote: »
    The ending just made me throw my eyes up. You could tell they were just trying to shovel on the despair at that point.

Shame because I'd consider it one of my favourite horror movies up to the final 5 minutes.

Really? Different strokes for different folks, I guess - personally I found it consistent with the rest of the film, and far more internally consistent with the horror and overall collapse of society than the alternative "And just as they were about to lose hope, the army arrived and saved everyone, hooray" ending would have been.

Fysh wrote: »
    Really? Different strokes for different folks, I guess - personally I found it consistent with the rest of the film, and far more internally consistent with the horror and overall collapse of society than the alternative "And just as they were about to lose hope, the army arrived and saved everyone, hooray" ending would have been.

The one gripe I have with the ending is
    the woman from the shop being on one of the panel trucks
    pointless pointless pointless second smack in the face and even worse once you discover it wasn't Darabont's idea, cacn't remember where I heard it but I know for a fact that it was suggested to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Didn't want to make a new thread; just finished the B&W version of The Mist on Blu-Ray, it looks fantastic. There's something eerily grand about black and white; something not real, like old horror films. I think it's because we see the world in colour and it's jarring seeing humans in black and white. The lighting and mist is much more emphasised, it's fantastic. Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

not a bad King adaptation as things go, i liked the ending BUT
    terrible CGI downgrades the effort to mediocre IMHO...

:rolleyes:

Advertisement