Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sonic Screwdriver

• 05-05-2010 1:12pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was watching "The War Games" yesterday (episode 3) and the Doctor takes out the sonic screw driver and - wait for it - uses it to sonically drive in a screw :D

Since the show has come back, particularly under the RTD era, the screw driver has been used as a plot device by the Doctor. Need to get out of any trap? Point the sonic screw driver at it. Need to disable any machine? Sonic screw driver? Stop something? Sonic screw driver!
    It got bad during the original series too. Tom Baker fans may remember when the Doctor, when trapped, pretty much broke the fourth wall and, addressing the camera, said "Even the sonic screwdriver won't get me out of this one!" Its overuse led to it being destroyed in Peter Davison's era and I think rightly so.

I think it should be toned down severly (signs are good with the Moffat era). The Doctor should be using more of his ingenuity, skills, and charm to get out of situations rather than pointing a glowing stick at it. It cheapens the Doctor's abilities and the audience's intelligence.

What do other people think of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've nothing more to add than I agree, basically.

I don't like deus ex machinae. Writers are payed to write clever things. Make the Doctor clever, not god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm actually rather a fan of the screwdriver from the point of view of Doctor Who being a program for children to watch.

Growing up in the era of the A Team, I was used to seeing problems solved with guns and explosions. MacGuyver showed it's hero using science, whatever was at hand and his trusty penknife to solve the problems he faced. I see the sonic screwdriver as being a Galifreyan version of his swiss army knife.

As long as it's used to open doors, solder wires, reverse polarity flows etc rather than being a weapon I'm all in favour of the Doctor using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I actually agree with all of you! :confused: I agree with the original post completely and even if it does get over used I just have to tell myself that its a kids show. I trust moffat completely so whatever he does I'm fine with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Never really noticed it in RTD's era until Moffat took over and now it's glaringly obvious how over used it was. It was used quite a good bit last week but since he was using it on machinery and there wasn't exactly time to write in another way to do it it made sense to pull out the screwdriver. Also he said 'I'm sending you software now' when turning Amy's communicator into an Angel detector which to me is much better than simply just pointing and saying 'Right this does this now.' with no further explanation.

Although I didn't notice it too much most of the time it's replacement of plot was terribly obvious in the End of time. Especially when he said he couldn't fix the cactus people's ship and then suddenly he could. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I must say the new Sonic screwdriver replica toy is quite fun to use or play around with.

11th_dr_Sonic_Screwdriver_300.jpg

Only around €13 in forbidden planet on the quays I think, might even be cheaper in the toy stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

christopher bidmead, who was script editor in Tom Bakers final season, hated the sonic and had it (and k9) dumped. there was a great interview with him in DHM last year. He made a lot of sense. Pity his stories were as fun as cardboard though.

Oh i am getting that sonic, for i have every one of them so far lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 VicNoir

I like the new sonic screwdriver too. It's very steam-punk-y and kind of suits the new TARDIS.

I am glad The Doctor isn't using it as much. I don't think Matt Smith has used his in five episodes as much as Tennant occasionally used it in one. He certainly hasn't used it with as much success. Mostly he seems to use it to scan things.

Ironically, I think I remember RTD saying that the sonic screwdriver should only be used to drive along the plot, but not solve the problem. The reason he said he liked to use it was because people want The Doctor to be stopped by problems, not by doors.

And, for the record, I've bought the new one and it is very cool.

Advertisement