Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAI's AT Competence's

• 05-05-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

In summary wrote by Architects to protect Architects

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's the general overview?
    Good bad r indifferent.
    First time I have seen RIAI use technologist (and as a superlative to technician)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

"The RIAI architectural technologist membership category is established to recognise architectural technologists working in both private and public sectors, in architectural practices, in multi-disciplinary practices or in architectural technology practices, and architectural technologists working at various
    levels in industry."

"The RIAI is the leading professional body in Ireland for architects, architectural technologists, and of graduates in both fields"

..... we'll see about that

No mention in this RIAI document about Architectural Technologists

- issuing interim/final valuation certificates
    - opinions on compliance with planning permission
    - opinions on compliance with building regulations

When in practice - in my own experience - these documents are prepared by AT's for the Architect to simply sign .....

Cormac Allens admonitions to tekkis at various IATGN meetings to hold fire and await this document before deciding upon which organisation to join appears to me to have given the RIAI plenty of time to stall before issuing this Charter of Bondage .

Now what did I do with my CIAT application form ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I am not quite as cynical. But hey give it time i may get there. It will be interesting to see if they issue RIAI stamps and certificates etc for ATs to sign off with.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I got my copy of it yesterday and had a very brief skim through it!! I am of course totally delighted to now be a Technoligist although I was under the impression perhaps incorrectly I was one already was and equally strangely I see no mention of Architectural Technoligists in Private practice on their own account so I am back to my usual confused state of what am I??? (apart from practicly unemployed!!!)

I also note in our compentacies that design in most definately not included other than technical design.

For anyone who wants CIAT application forms pm me your email and I'll get them sent on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do they define technologist?
    Or has it just replaced technician

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mellor wrote: »
    Do they define technologist?
    Or has it just replaced technician

basically just replaced.....

this is what they say

"The RIAI regards the professional Architectural Technologist as a technical designer, skilled in the
    application and integration of construction technologies in the building design process."

Absolutely no mention of on-site project / contract management (which i DID study as part of my course!!).
    No mention of consultancy skills in regard to planning process and law.
    No mention of even our basic fundamental skill of ensuring all legislative requirements are met prior and during construction.

If this is what the RIAI consider technicians then they cannot claim to be any kind of a representative body for us.

Consider RIAIs definition in comparison to the UKs chartered Architectural Technician definition....
    "The Chartered Architectural Technologist, MCIAT, will be able to analyse, synthesise and evaluate design factors in order to produce design solutions, which will satisfy performance, production and procurement criteria. This will be achieved through the design, selection and specification of material, components and assembly and the management, coordination, communication, presentation and monitoring of solutions which perform to the agreed brief and standards in terms of time, cost and quality."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Membership@CIAT

We are aware of this and we will be contacting RIAI in relation to what our Chartered Members (MCIAT) are competent to perform compared to RIAI Architectural Technologist's.

As you can understand these things take time, so please be patient.

Alternatively you could contact RIAI directly and ask them for a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

I was discussing with a friend of mine recently about the changes to the Building Act and the protection/registration of the title 'Architect', here is his reply (which I think explains alot!) :

"With regards to the RIAI by the end of this year I will have worked in
    Ireland for over ten years post part 2 of my degree and diploma in
    architecture and have worked for more than 2 years under the auspices
    of a RIAI registered architect so will be eligible to register with
    the RIAI as an architect member. More interested in the CIAT as it is
    more recognised internationally than the RIAI and is more likely to
    get me a job in the UK if needs be".

Advertisement