Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC adverts on footpaths around town

Options
  • 05-05-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I'm sure people have noticed these on the footpaths around town.
    I wasn't sure if it was the telecommunications company but the logo indicates it is. Looks like someone got a stencil and then used a power hose.

Just wondering how they are allowed to advertise like this, I doubt the county council let them plaster their name and logo around the place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I haven't seen them but didn't something like this happen a year or two ago around town?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

If I'm reading this correctly the advert is comprised of street and power hosed clean street? If so they can't say anything cos it's not defacing, in fact it's showing up how dirty the streets are. It's clever I'll give it that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm pretty sure I have seen this down by a mobile phone company and also my an artsy group in galway promoting some event...I'm sure they wash off but can look very unsightly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's a big UPC promotion on at the moment around the country. There was even a boards photography comp tying in with it with a 42" tv as the prize. Photos had to be taken at certain locations around the country of UPC logos that were emblazened on the side if buildings using lights.
    I'm sure that they must have permission to do it and the footpaths.

Boards comp details here: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65648661#post65648661

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I remember a politician (or some political group) doing this a while ago. It looked awful. Haven't seen the UPC ones. I think someone complained to the politician when he was at it and he said it was allowed because whatever substance it was will wash off when it rains or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I remember a politician (or some political group) doing this a while ago. It looked awful. Haven't seen the UPC ones. I think someone complained to the politician when he was at it and he said it was allowed because whatever substance it was will wash off when it rains or something.

If memory serves me it was Michael McNamara of the Reform party
    http://www.reform.ie/mcnamara

This seems to be different, whereas Mr. McNamara added a substance (namely some sort of chalk or dust) to the pavement, it seems UPC have just removed some (namely grime and dirt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Ah Tayto did this in Dublin a few years back, saw it on the news! I remember the only thing the city council could do was clean the rest of the footpath! :p I thought they would have altered the rules to avoid it again though...

UPC are doing a promotion around the country now, their logo was projected onto the Spanish Arch on Monday night, then their logo including name was projected last night.

4579630059_e92c083923_b.jpg

4581400242_9fc7143090.jpg

They're also having a boards.ie photographic competition to photograph one of these events; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65734335&posted=1#post65734335

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I think someone complained to the politician when he was at it and he said it was allowed because whatever substance it was will wash off when it rains or something.

Yeah I complained to him because it was coming up to the Volvo Ocean Race and all the visitors were due in a week and his website address was plastered on the streets. He said it would wash off eventually and if it wasn't gone by the Ocean Race he would personally go around and remove them.... in fairness they did go, which way I don't know.

Edit:
    Dear Mr. <foto joe>,

Thanks for your email. The stenciling was done using line marker, such as that regularly used in construction and not paint, which, I am assured, will wear off easily from footfall or be washed off by rain so it will not need to be cleaned off.

I believe that it defaces Galway a lot less than posters but you may not agree.

If it does not wear off before the Volvo Ocean Race, I assure you I will personally remove it.

I hope the political parties will also remove their posters. However, I doubt it.

Best regards,
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Oh yeah I remember him now..this isn't the same UPC that were connected with NTL??

Yeah it's "Chorus/NTL - a UPC company"... new logo though I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Saw some around by the homeless shelter near the bus station. It seems marked onto the foot path...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scubadec

Ya, I saw the powerwashed ones too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

foto joe wrote: »
    .... I thought they would have altered the rules to avoid it again though...

I guess it would be kinda hard to write a rule that says you're not allowed to clean any part of the street, though.

"Oh I'm sorry Mr Community-Warden, I know that I accidentally dropped my takeaways wrapper, but there's this law that says I'm not allowed to remove any dirt." .... kind of thing.

The ads are on Upper Abbeygate St too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 saraz86

They're all over the tv and got fliers in the post from upc today too! They're really on the attack! Sprayings some anti-public-sector comments on the footpaths might get them cleaned up nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

So is it wrong to call them NTL?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

It's not as wrong as what I'd call them!

saraz86 wrote: »
    They're all over the tv and got fliers in the post from upc today too! They're really on the attack!

And now they're giving away free UPC iphone covers :p

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Are-UPC/116913825003519?v=app_7146470109

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

foto joe wrote: »
    And now they're giving away free UPC iphone covers :p

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Are-UPC/116913825003519?v=app_7146470109

Hmm, nothing a bit of blue tape or a madonna sticker won't fix!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

They can brand my boxers if they want, I'll keep call them NTL. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I think that that power-hosed stencil thing is a brilliant idea. I was just looking at them the other day and thinking that's cool....but kind of ugly. It does emphasize the dirt of the pavements though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement