Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Comments
    William72|4|15.5|On the plus side great to have started the program and got 4 sessions in for the first time in weeks. On the negative side - did all 4 runs at unusual times for me so found the heat to be quite draining. Look forward to getting back to early mornings/late evenings this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|8|Holidays over now:( so time to get with the programme, starting with 3 miles tomorrow!:)|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|4|17.5|Great to have it started. The plan makes it easier to get out and do it!|
    OI||||
    brophya2007|4|17.63|LSR of 6 miles in 59 minutes, was feeling it doing the last mile, it's the longest I've run in a while. Only 18 weeks to go :-) |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|18|6+3+9 finally getting some long runs in|
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|20.3|first week down, 18 to go...|
    littlebug|4|19.2|Happy with this week|
    meathcountysec|4|24.12|A good week. Still not getting the 5th run in though|
    DigiJem|4|17|Nice week of late evening running in the sun.|
    8ofSpades|3|16|+1 Circuit. Ran my final LSR before the strawberry half this sunday. 8 miles in 01:23:00. Cons: Based on that my sub 2hr prediction for the half looks like a pipe dream but I was tired even if I was keeping it slow and steady I was still knackered after it. Pros: That was saturday morning and I had run the previous night also, plus there will be pacers so I'm not going down without a fight next Sunday|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|4|15|following hh to the letter did 3x3miles quick pace 20min/23min/20min then 6mile lsr in baking heat sunday 55 mins looking foward to building the distance |
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|Delighted with this week,really enjoyed getting out in the good weather,going for a sports massage tomorrow just to keep ontop of things|
    James Howlett||||

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72|4|15.5|On the plus side great to have started the program and got 4 sessions in for the first time in weeks. On the negative side - did all 4 runs at unusual times for me so found the heat to be quite draining. Look forward to getting back to early mornings/late evenings this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|8|Holidays over now:( so time to get with the programme, starting with 3 miles tomorrow!:)|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|4|17.5|Great to have it started. The plan makes it easier to get out and do it!|
    OI||||
    brophya2007|4|17.63|LSR of 6 miles in 59 minutes, was feeling it doing the last mile, it's the longest I've run in a while. Only 18 weeks to go :-) |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher|3|16|This included a fartlek session and LSR of 9m, and very slow it was. I also cycled 65 miles and swam for half hour in the sea - lovely. I am doing the Dunshaughlin 10k so will not do much running beforehand.|
    Dave_||||
    8ofSpades|3|16|+1 Circuit. Ran my final LSR before the strawberry half this sunday. 8 miles in 01:23:00. Cons: Based on that my sub 2hr prediction for the half looks like a pipe dream but I was tired even if I was keeping it slow and steady I was still knackered after it. Pros: That was saturday morning and I had run the previous night also, plus there will be pacers so I'm not going down without a fight next Sunday|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|4|15|following hh to the letter did 3x3miles quick pace 20min/23min/20min then 6mile lsr in baking heat sunday 55 mins looking foward to building the distance |
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|Delighted with this week,really enjoyed getting out in the good weather,going for a sports massage tomorrow just to keep ontop of things|
    James Howlett||||

I don't have too many bad runs, but when I do I just run slower and accept that every run wont be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Another week down - week 1 of the program for some of you! How did you get on?

Maybe next week you could add a column for total miles so far? i noticed it on last year's novice thread, it seems like a good idea. At least if you have a bad week you can see how far you've come already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher|3|16|This included a fartlek session and LSR of 9m, and very slow it was. I also cycled 65 miles and swam for half hour in the sea - lovely. I am doing the Dunshaughlin 10k so will not do much running beforehand.|
    Dave_||||
    D Chief||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea|4|16|Started on HH program with an extra mile on one short run and it was an enjoyable week especially in the good weather|
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

If I have a bad run, I always get nervous when I start out on my next run that it will be as bad. So I cue up some motivational/energetic music on iPod to start me off. I will admit to having used Eye of the Tiger or Destiny's Child Survivor....very cheesy I know but hey it works for me and I start the run laughing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I've done a disappearing act off the table....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I've done a disappearing act off the table....

digger2d2 - that happened to me last me and I think it's because I left the quotes in when I reposted which means the next person can't quote you...someone correct me if I'm wrong here!!

So just leave the table header in but remove the
    .... wrote:
    at the start and the
    at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_||||
    D Chief|4|18|Good week. Got new runners, a new ipod shuffle and a new job after 3 months unemployed. Start next week, same week as I start full on marathon training!|
    digger2d2|4|20.5|enjoyable week, have set my marathon pace at 8:45 a mile so lsr was done this week at 9;12, 2 'cross' sessions done as well|
    la calera||||
    Shazkea|4|16|Started on HH program with an extra mile on one short run and it was an enjoyable week especially in the good weather|
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

digger2d2, I restored you to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    Maybe next week you could add a column for total miles so far? i noticed it on last year's novice thread, it seems like a good idea. At least if you have a bad week you can see how far you've come already...

Will do :)

Also just want to say that you all seem to be off to a great start, long may it continue! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_||||
    D Chief|4|18|Good week. Got new runners, a new ipod shuffle and a new job after 3 months unemployed. Start next week, same week as I start full on marathon training!|
    digger2d2|4|20.5|enjoyable week, have set my marathon pace at 8:45 a mile so lsr was done this week at 9;12, 2 'cross' sessions done as well|
    la calera||||
    Curl52|3|21.5|Didn't the full 4 sessions in as was away the weekend but did 10miles on Thursday evening which was my longest run to date so was happy with that. Last half mile was a killer but felt great afterwards.|
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

I'm not going to be in the country for the Adidas series half marathon
    My only three planned races between now and DCM are:

Strawberry half this sunday
    and then the adidas 5 and 10 mile series in the park.

I'm considering this
    http://www.athlone3quarter.com/index.php
    as a substitute

Thoughts?

Is it too close to the DCM or is anyone else considering this?

• Advertisement

The date (and distance) for that actually fits in quite well for when a 20-miler is due, so it sounds like a relatively good opportunity for a supported LSR. The difficult part there is controlling your pace in a race situation, because that 20-miler shouldn't be done at PMP or faster. If you are relatively confident that you can take it easy, then go for it.

The difficult part there is controlling your pace in a race situation, because that 20-miler shouldn't be done at PMP or faster. If you are relatively confident that you can take it easy, then go for it.

thats the burning question
    PMP I presume is predicted marathon pace?

I find it hard to pace myself appropriately even on LSRs

If I were to go out at PMP or slightly less would that pose a huge problem?

Its all relative I suppose and depends hugely on my fitness at the time

8ofSpades wrote: »
    PMP I presume is predicted marathon pace?
    It is indeed.
    8ofSpades wrote: »
    I find it hard to pace myself appropriately even on LSRs

If I were to go out at PMP or slightly less would that pose a huge problem?
    My concern with doing 20 miles at PMP 3 weeks before the race would that you'd be taking far too much out of yourself at that stage. It will take some time to recover from that, and that will eat into your taper.

Something that will give you a rough idea of training paces is the McMillan calculator - plug in a recent race time and it will give an indication of where it should be. Just as an example, if I put my 5 mile time in from the Raheny 5 (just over 40 minutes), it will give a suggested long run pace of 9.32-10.32 min/mile.

as a matter of interest will you be advising people to race the adidas half or use it as an LSR?

I'm presuming of course that most people in this thread are running the adidas series

I would advise people to race it, as it acts as a relatively good guide to fitness at that point in training (it's on 18 September this year, a week earlier than last year and just over 5 weeks before DCM).

I think most people (and most people on last year's thread) race it. It gives you a better idea of how you'll do in the marathon. I'd only LSR it if I'd done a recent half anyway, had missed some LSRs, and was going to do run to or from the half as well, to bring the run up over 13 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I think it would be a good idea to explain exactly what LSR means.

You know for people who are unsure... I would do it myself but i not goode explain things:o

LSR = Long Slow Run.

The main point of one is time on your feet, and they are a key workout as part of marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I would advise people to race it, as it acts as a relatively good guide to fitness at that point in training (it's on 18 September this year, a week earlier than last year and just over 5 weeks before DCM).

The Phoenix Park half is a great run but I am worried that if I race it, a lot will be taken out of me as races usually have this effect on me and I take a good 2 weeks to fully recover. And would the recovery not eat into the last bit of serious training for the DCM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

You can take me off the board Rainbow.

Just can't run yet and any progress I made earlier this year has been well wiped out now.

Great thread this, well done, and best of luck to everyone.

• Advertisement

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||

Another week down! How were things for you?

Congratulations to everyone racing this weekend, be it Dunshaughlin, Enniscorthy or elsewhere. Some very good performances in warm, humid conditions - good stuff :D

Discussion topic for this week - got any inspirational quotes you'd like to share, running-related or otherwise?

And the plan for next week:

Week 2
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|3 m + 3*100m strides|3 m|rest|7 m|cross

Week 2 is similar to week 1, just an extra mile added to the LSR. You should find this pretty comfortable by now. :)

Week 3
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|4 m (middle 2 @ PMP)|3 m|rest|5 m|cross

For those of you on week 3 - I'd like you to do the middle 2 miles of your Wednesday 4-miler at PMP. This is a step-back week, the long run is only 5 miles. We take a step-back week every 3 weeks in this program, it allows the body time to recover, and will become much more important later on.

The Phoenix Park half is a great run but I am worried that if I race it, a lot will be taken out of me as races usually have this effect on me and I take a good 2 weeks to fully recover. And would the recovery not eat into the last bit of serious training for the DCM?

While I would recommend it in general - if you know that your recovery from races is relatively slow and it will affect your training after it then it may not be worthwhile racing it. If you've already entered, maybe just treat it as a well-supported LSR with a nice T-shirt at the end.

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|21.5|41.8|don't know if it was the heat or the pace, but was completely exhausted after Saturday's LSR. Felt fine the next day though|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|3|13.2|30.83|Missed Thursday's 3 miler but got the 6 mile LSR run in on saturday at 58.30|
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|21.5|41.8|don't know if it was the heat or the pace, but was completely exhausted after Saturday's LSR. Felt fine the next day though|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||

At what pace should we be doing the mid-week runs? Presuming we're all going for sub 4:30 that's 10.18 mins/mile - should we be going slower than this?

At what pace should we be doing the mid-week runs? Presuming we're all going for sub 4:30 that's 10.18 mins/mile - should we be going slower than this?

In the Novice1 plan, there are no pace guidelines for the midweek runs, just whatever is comfortable for you.
    In the Novice2 plan, the longer midweek run is supposed to be done at race pace, so for you 10.18 mins/mile. The other midweek runs would be about 30 seconds slower, and the weekend LSR about a minute slower.

BUT... RK is providing additional guidelines in her mail. If you're on week 2, do your midweek runs at an easy pace (around 10.48?), but in the middle midweek run, do some strides as well.
    If you're on week 3, do your midweek runs at easy pace, apart from the middle two miles of the longer run, which you should try to do at 10.18 pace.

I don't think everyone is going for sub 4.30, but the plan RK is posting will work for everyone whatever their goal. You could also argue that at this stage it's important not to get too caught up in pace. The emphasis in the Higdon plan is to run easy, but get used to the higher mileage. Deciding what 'easy' is, is up to the individual runner. This far away from the marathon, it can be hard to set a realistic goal time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|4|16|16|Great to get started!|
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|3|13.2|30.83|Missed Thursday's 3 miler but got the 6 mile LSR run in on saturday at 58.30|
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||

Great to get the formal training started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|4|22.23|103|Happy with week's mileage considering having a race scheduled. Still not getting the 5th run in. Might be more determined when official start of plan comes on 5th July|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|4|22.23|103|Happy with week's mileage considering having a race scheduled. Still not getting the 5th run in. Might be more determined when official start of plan comes on 5th July|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|86|Found 6m really hard on Saturday,felt like I was carrying a few blocks on my back! But thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays 8m,funny how you have good/bad days for no reason! Overall - very happy with the week|
    James Howlett|||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|86|Found 6m really hard on Saturday,felt like I was carrying a few blocks on my back! But thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays 8m,funny how you have good/bad days for no reason! Overall - very happy with the week|
    James Howlett|3|20|20|First long run of the season last night. Despte my best planning I didn't get out until 21:30 last night but thankfully I managed the whole thing in 1 piece. Legs do hurt today though...|

Advertisement