Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    You go away for 5 minutes...and look what happens. What'd i miss?

Seen as though i'm still a young wan (don't mention my last birthday number) i'm allowed chase after young fellas...yippee:p

Sorry Missus, that was in your twenties:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Tapering Madness has set in ;) I was walking from work into town in my high heels and I was doing my best to avoid the leaves on the footpath incase I slipped on them, I'm sure I looked odd dancing around the footpath :o

I normally run up and down the stairs at home, not any more I don't! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yeah I am eating everything around me and the hours I am working means I am eating at irregular times all over the shop through still trying to get my 5 a day and some white and red meat every day!

Yeah I don't think that will happen to me mprop.... A run like that usually leaves me completely cleared out..... though I am usually so hungry I will physically eat anything round me....... Children with sweets beware!! :P

I am going to get that vitamin while I am home cuz I am getting awful run down with work and training and everything else!!!!

Also to any of the ladies.... I will pay you 26.2€ to run the marathon in heels...I think everyone here would be willing to do that!!! I reckon ur feet would be jus one big blister by the end of it lol

I'm eating like a King, thanks to Mrs. Slow :D

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Yeah I am eating everything around me and the hours I am working means I am eating at irregular times all over the shop through still trying to get my 5 a day and some white and red meat every day!

Yeah I don't think that will happen to me mprop.... A run like that usually leaves me completely cleared out..... though I am usually so hungry I will physically eat anything round me....... Children with sweets beware!! :P

I am going to get that vitamin while I am home cuz I am getting awful run down with work and training and everything else!!!!

Also to any of the ladies.... I will pay you 26.2€ to run the marathon in heels...I think everyone here would be willing to do that!!! I reckon ur feet would be jus one big blister by the end of it lol

Make it €2,620 and we'll talk ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »
    Sorry Missus, that was in your twenties:rolleyes:

:(

I'm eating like a King, thanks to Mrs. Slow :D

Just bought 5 x 8oz fillet steaks for everyone for dinner this evening...yum, can't wait, i so deserve it after 6m tonight;)

Just to freak everyone out aswell in relation to injuries. My sister is running the marathon with me this year (although she ran it last year too!) and my Dad walks it every year now (he's done alot of marathons in his hey day). BUT my Dad was running for the last bus home in Town last week after the Ireland game and twisted his knee in the process...unfortunately i think his dream of DCM this year is over. He's gutted.

So everyone be careful out there...ha...how's freaked out are we all this week:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I have f**king cold.

F**k.

Pardon my f**king language.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

For those of you not planning on following mprop dietary advise, just got this sent to me

http://www.nutritionwise.ie/nutrition-bites-oct-08/nutrition-hot-topic-oct-08.html

and also this attachment giving an idea of carb rich foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jcsmum wrote: »
    I normally run up and down the stairs at home, not any more I don't! :D

Run up and down stairs? I haven't been able to do that in months :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just bought 5 x 8oz fillet steaks for everyone for dinner this evening...yum, can't wait, i so deserve it after 6m tonight;)

Just to freak everyone out aswell in relation to injuries. My sister is running the marathon with me this year (although she ran it last year too!) and my Dad walks it every year now (he's done alot of marathons in his hey day). BUT my Dad was running for the last bus home in Town last week after the Ireland game and twisted his knee in the process...unfortunately i think his dream of DCM this year is over. He's gutted.

So everyone be careful out there...ha...how's freaked out are we all this week:p

Devastated for Daddy Jemily:(

:(

Sorry bud, time waits for no-one, you have years of experience on your side and grey hair makes you distinguished :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Holy *****, before Digger gets in there, you've just :eek: even me food-wise there...that's even beat one of my "hungry weeks".
    QUOTE]

The staff at Smith & Wollensky close the doors when they see you riding into town on your calf......;)

RayCun wrote: »
    Run up and down stairs? I haven't been able to do that in months :rolleyes:

You moved into a bungalow??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Perkina3 wrote: »

too generous perkina3. twud just about cover my entry to this race: http://www.unraveltravel.eu/?p=1840

I have f**king cold.

Just saw Maeve Higgins posted this on her fb page! http://www.buzzle.com/articles/home-remedies-for-head-cold.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't worry folks, I got a head cold the monday before Dingle, I usually get quite bad headcolds but I completely overdosed on lemsip and by Wednesday I was feeling fine(but got hammered on 3 pints) :D

marrona wrote: »
    Just saw Maeve Higgins posted this on her fb page! http://www.buzzle.com/articles/home-remedies-for-head-cold.html

I love MH, went to one of her shows....Myself, The Leader of The Opposition and the two kids...We were in the front row and they nearly had to ask me to leave I was laughing so loud :D

but I completely overdosed on lemsip ( got hammered on 3 pints) :D

That's a lot of Lemsip.....;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I love MH, went to one of her shows....Myself, The Leader of The Opposition and the two kids...We were in the front row and they nearly had to ask me to leave I was laughing so loud :D
    was that the name of her show? or what you call you, your wife and kids?? I adore her! Fancy Vittles was the best! only saw her once, at cat laughs this year, and she wasn't great at all :(

• Advertisement

marrona wrote: »
    was that the name of her show? or what you call you, your wife and kids?? I adore her! Fancy Vittles was the best! only saw her once, at cat laughs this year, and she wasn't great at all :(
    Nah, that's my 'pet' name for the long suffering Mrs Digger....Can't remember the name of the gig but it was in Andrews Lane Theatre in Dublin and her Sister was with her baking Fairy cakes through the show which we got to eat afterwards...It was just so conversational but I just thought she was very very funny.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Just the 26.4 miles ran today, now starting the taper.

I got to the end of the club run tonight and there was people coughing a lot (not running related) and there is also a lot of coughing/sneezing at work. Great just what I need to add to the taper madness.

You're pacing aren't you IrontractorBoy? Even pacers get taper madness?:pac:
    Despite the title of this thread I think I might be the only one on here who has intentions of hanging out with the 4.30 pacers (for a while anyway:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    I might be the only one on here who has intentions of hanging out with the 4.30 pacers (for a while anyway:o)

Is this during or after the race? :p

Just 2 quick questions:

In relation to running attire on the day, i got a tshirt from my sponsor, it's cotton (not dri-fit), i wore it for the Half Marathon and had no problem. Do you think it will be ok for Full Marathon, someone was mentioning weather conditions etc., so is it a wise decision to bring my dri-fit running top aswell if the weather will be bad? As it's cotton with rain it won't be good on the day!?!

Secondly, i'm wearing 2 pairs of socks on runs at the moment as my old runners were giving me a blister when i went back to them. Does anyone know if wearing 2 pairs might possess problems on a long run? The longest i've run in them is 12 miles and they were fine.

Sorry with the stupid questions but unfortunately i've had to change a few things after my 21m lsr, so couldn't road test them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In relation to running attire on the day, i got a tshirt from my sponsor, it's cotton (not dri-fit), i wore it for the Half Marathon and had no problem. Do you think it will be ok for Full Marathon, someone was mentioning weather conditions etc., so is it a wise decision to bring my dri-fit running top aswell if the weather will be bad? As it's cotton with rain it won't be good on the day!?!

You should stick with the dri-fit. Rain and sweat both make cotton unpleasant to run in

Just 2 quick questions:

Secondly, i'm wearing 2 pairs of socks on runs at the moment as my old runners were giving me a blister when i went back to them. Does anyone know if wearing 2 pairs might possess problems on a long run? The longest i've run in them is 12 miles and they were fine.

Sorry with the stupid questions but unfortunately i've had to change a few things after my 21m lsr, so couldn't road test them.

Dri fit all the way, have it branded with your charity and 1,000 mile thick socks with a no blister guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Dri fit all the way, have it branded with your charity and 1,000 mile thick socks with a no blister guarantee.

Just a warning on the 1000 mile socks. They absolutely thrash my feet any time I have used them.

I know most people have no issues with them but personally I just can't wear them.

If you havn't worn them before dont start now.

Oh any definitely the dri fit top.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm the same, they thrash my feet as well. I think it's because my feet sweat a lot more in them.

Someday my advice will go unchallenged :(

• Advertisement

Someday my advice will go unchallenged :(

No it won't ;)

Advertisement