Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JEmily wrote: »
    Just 2 quick questions:

In relation to running attire on the day, i got a tshirt from my sponsor, it's cotton (not dri-fit), i wore it for the Half Marathon and had no problem. Do you think it will be ok for Full Marathon, someone was mentioning weather conditions etc., so is it a wise decision to bring my dri-fit running top aswell if the weather will be bad? As it's cotton with rain it won't be good on the day!?!

I wouldn't run in cotton even if I was trying to get away from the Farmer who owned me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't run in cotton even if I was trying to get away from the Farmer who owned me ;)

You'd be better off in cotton, rather than your Peter Pan vest :D

mrslow wrote: »
    You'd be better off in cotton, rather than your Peter Pan vest :D

Damn it...I was trying for the Tinkerbell look.....:confused:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Damn it...I was trying for the Tinkerbell look.....:confused:

You were close but your little banana gave the game away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Is this during or after the race? :p

The only place I'll be hanging out after the race is the train to Galway :pac:

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    The only place I'll be hanging out after the race is the train to Galway :pac:

You not stickin around for pints?

You not stickin around for pints?

Nah unfortunately not. If I have time before the train I'll pop in to wherever y'all are and say hello but I have to get back home that night.

littlebug wrote: »
    Nah unfortunately not. If I have time before the train I'll pop in to wherever y'all are and say hello but I have to get back home that night.

We'll be finished between 1 and 2 o' clock so plenty of time for a quick meet and greet before you go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck to everyone with their last 'Long' run over the weekend. Keep dodging the cracks in the tarmac and uneven surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Someday my advice will go unchallenged :(

3000th post on this thread - well done.

Your mission if you choose to accept is to go Sub 3h45 :D

• Advertisement

What pace are people doing for the last (not very) long run this weekend? Since it's not very long there's temptation to go a bit faster than usual lsr pace but would that be counterproductive at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm planning to do 8 tomorrow (which is going to be my longest run in October so far, ****ING INJURY :mad: ) at "whatever's comfortable" pace - that's probably going to be somewhere between 9.30 and 10 min/mile pace. I'd just stick to normal LSR pace, even if you've got the urge to go a bit faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Doing 8 in a couple of hours, I'll try to keep to normal LSR pace for most of the way, and finish with a couple of faster miles.

I'm going to end up running 9 minute miles for it no matter how hard I try to run 10, Miss the group runs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I get to run 2 miles at 9.30 min pace tomorrow. Whoopdy-do :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

normal LSR pace is probably best. Didn't heed my own advice this morning though (nothing new there). Just couldn't keep myself slowed down.

08 Days 16 Hours and 25 Mins left :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

08 Days 16 Hours and 25 Mins left :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and now?

I went out earlier for my 8.....Perfect day for running, felt very stong loping along at 9:07 pace.....It's going to be tough not really running this week coming :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Ok so whats the deal with the training for the week before the marathon?????

Do we do much...I am toyin with the idea of an LSR today...Have refereed 3 soccer matches in the last 2 days...Dunno if the LSR now will overdo it???

Advice please?????

• Advertisement

Don't do an LSR!!!!

Do some short runs, no more than about 3 miles, just to keep your legs ticking over.

This week is all about getting to the start line rested, recovered and full of energy.

Hi All,

We still don't have a venue for pints :eek: The Wexican suggested O'Donogues on Baggot st? I'm up for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Hi All,

We still don't have a venue for pints :eek: The Wexican suggested O'Donogues on Baggot st? I'm up for that!

I think there's a poll going up on A/R/T events forum tomorrow. Might as well go where the rest of the boardsies are going?

I think there's a poll going up on A/R/T events forum tomorrow. Might as well go where the rest of the boardsies are going?

Yeah, throw some suggestions and comments into this thread. Somewhere with food would be good, I think, but I'm happy to go with the group...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You might as well all come to where ever the rest of us are going. The conrad was nice and peaceful last year but if we go there at all we won't be staying long. I reckon somewhere on Baggot Street would be good, the baggot inn just so nobody can get out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

You might as well all come to where ever the rest of us are going. The conrad was nice and peaceful last year but if we go there at all we won't be staying long. I reckon somewhere on Baggot Street would be good, the baggot inn just so nobody can get out :D

McGrattans on Baggot street has food, €10 bottles of wine, €20 for 6 bottles of Sol, fireplace, couches, pool tables, big outdoor area, big indoor area..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

marrona wrote: »
    McGrattans on Baggot street has food, €10 bottles of wine, €20 for 6 bottles of Sol, fireplace, couches, pool tables, big outdoor area, big indoor area..

Wobetide the boy or girl who goes to sit in a couch after doing a marathon. After 26.2 miles in my legs, I ain't pulling anyone out of a couch but i shall laugh alot while watching:D

Forget that bottled lager stuff, Guinness is the nicest thing in the world after a marathon whether you like it or not. There's enough food in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Thanks :).... I will be keep it to 2/3 miles...dunno bout being rested lol....I am going to be workin 14/15 hour days each day..... :(

Just icing my hammies atm...... awful tender!!! .....

Also I will pop in for a little while after the maqrathon but my parents want to bring me out for dinner and my m,ates want to go for drinks as well...so busy day!!! :P...

Oh ya.... can someone pm me their no for sat so I can make sure I don't miss you guys at 14.30.... will be there earlier with a mate but don't know what you guys look like so it cud be handy to have...

cheers :)

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Oh ya.... can someone pm me their no for sat so I can make sure I don't miss you guys at 14.30.... will be there earlier with a mate but don't know what you guys look like so it cud be handy to have...

cheers :)

Myself, mrslow and RayCun look a bit like Borat, Louis Walsh and George Clooney respectively....

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Forget that bottled lager stuff, Guinness is the nicest thing in the world after a marathon whether you like it or not. There's enough food in it too.

+100 ;)

Advertisement