Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Right I will be looking for 3 fat balding blokes so ;)....

Well I am bout 6 ft 3" so Look for a big lanky f*&^er wearing cords an probably lookin pretty damn lost lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

alas my cold has tighten it's grip upon me;
    no LSR for me today... knocked aside at the final hurdle!

this thing had better pass in the next week or I'll be.. in trouble... grrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dude....Raw garlic soup and lots of it!

Haha, I'm downing lemsips like nothing else at the moment.
    Like yourself I have a horrible week of work ahead, it actually will be the busiest week of the year. If I'm not better by Wednesday I'll be on a diet of garlic to get better.

It may or may not work but at the very least it'll keep Vampires away from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So, we're only just over a week away now! Our plan for this week...

Week 18
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Monday
    rest|3 m|4 m|2 m|rest|rest (Expo?)|rest|RACE!

Just a few easy runs this week. Nothing stressful at all, just keeping the legs ticking over. Some of you may want to switch the last short run to the weekend just to settle the nerves, but if you're going on Saturday or Sunday for this I really don't recommend doing much more than about 20-25 minutes.

Let's talk racing. :D

I've attached the course map, and if you haven't already seen it then this video of the course (which was posted on the DCM Facebook page) is well worth a watch. There are 10 water stations on the course, roughly positioned every 3 miles, 3 of which have sports drink (mile 9, 12 and 18.5), and 2 of which have High-5 gels (mile 15 and 18.5 - last year these were the isotonic ones).

You should have planned your nutrition and hydration strategy by now - decide what you're carrying and how you're carrying it, and what and when you're consuming. Buy your gels as soon as possible if you don't already have them - there will probably be a bit of a rush at running and bike shops as the week goes on.

Know what you're wearing too, and don't wear anything new on race day that you haven't already tried on an LSR. This goes even if you get something nice at the expo. Remember to BodyGlide everywhere you think you should, and a few more places otherwise. Guys - don't forget, plasters/tape/Vaseline on the nips. No sad faces on your t-shirts after the race.

Diet this week? Always a controversial one. <OPINION>I'm personally not a huge fan of traditional carbo-loading, but I'm fully aware that others will disagree with me. I'd be more inclined to try and eat relatively healthily, in line with what you normally eat, just eat more of it. I don't like the idea of making a drastic shift in diet in the final week before a big race, the risk of causing an upset stomach or something that might end up affecting you on race day seems too much for me.</OPINION> I'd also drink a hell of a lot of water this week. You might be peeing like a racehorse as a result, but it will guarantee that you are well hydrated.

Beyond the practicalities... time to get into the mental aspect of things. It *is* going to be tough, that goes without say. Trust your training - you've all put in trojan work over the last few months, and it will pay off for you next Monday. Watch your pace in the first few miles, you'll feel so fresh after taper that you might be tempted to fly off at the start. Don't do it. Take it easy and stick to your planned pace. You should still be feeling really good at halfway. Consistency is the key here - it's far better to aim for even splits than to go out too fast, blow up at 18-20 miles and end up walking a long way at the end.

Discussion topic: How are you feeling now? Hit taper madness yet, are the nerves building at this stage? Any niggling injuries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to hear that James Howlett, but you've done incredible training. Missing one shorter LSR won't affect you.

Plenty of Vit C, and eat well this week. You'll fly it.

Discussion topic: How are you feeling now?
    Terrified.
    Hit taper madness yet
    Yes, big time.
    are the nerves building at this stage?
    My head is all over the shop.
    Any niggling injuries?
    Yep, but I also think I have phantom niggles, so all in all I'm not quite sure :o

I'm so well prepared for this marathon :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously though, at this stage, there's nothing I can do to change the past couple of weeks. Just have to get on with it, and hope for the best.

Best of luck to everyone. Hope we can all stay someway sane this week. Should be fun :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This time next week kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Discussion topic: How are you feeling now? Hit taper madness yet, are the nerves building at this stage? Any niggling injuries?

No taper madness for me, think with my week off with calf the last 2 weeks are work for me so doesn't feel like i'm tapering YET, this week it will!

I don't kow about anyone else but my body felt tired yesterday after my last lsr. And i feel bit achy today for some reason.
    I don't feel full or energy at all, am hoping this week's low mileage and plenty of sleep will make up for it by Monday. Just feel like my body is saying "enough". Whereas everyone else here seems to be enjoying tapering with loads of energy:confused:

Not nervous yet at all, i was more nervous on my week off with calf as i think i thought about stuff too much. But feel fine now, ask me on Thursday/Friday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

JEmily wrote: »
    I don't feel full or energy at all
    me either. I was just thinking - is this the best shape of my life? doesn't feel it. feel normal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Right I will be looking for 3 fat balding blokes so ;)....

fat balding blokes waving their finisher's medals in the air and falling over drunk at the first whiff of beer. We should be easy to spot

How are you feeling now? Hit taper madness yet, are the nerves building at this stage? Any niggling injuries?

Feeling good... but it's early yet. Ask me again on Sunday :eek:

Can anyone tell me how far the RDS is from Merrion Sq? Is it within walking distance, or should I get a bus?

RubyK wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how far the RDS is from Merrion Sq? Is it within walking distance, or should I get a bus?

Get the Dart to Sandymount and you are there.
    You could walk it, but not 2 days before the Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Myself, mrslow and RayCun look a bit like Borat, Louis Walsh and George Clooney respectively....

Louis Walsh looks like me!

Get the Dart to Sandymount and you are there.
    You could walk it, but not 2 days before the Marathon.

Right so, thanks James Howlett :)

There's a bunch of buses going that way too - the 4, 7, 7a, 8 I think all go by both Merrions Square and the RDS

Thanks Ray and Marrona, plenty of options so.

DP

• Advertisement

Tired, Absolutely,totally,can't differentiate between the real ones and the phantom ones.

mrslow wrote: »
    Tired, Absolutely,totally,can't differentiate between the real ones and the phantom ones.

Yeah I'm knackered too.
    It's odd I know this tapering period will heal us up but this is the worst I have felt in the past 4months and it's strange to think that we'll be doing the biggest distance in a week's time.

Yeah I'm knackered too.
    It's odd I know this tapering period will heal us up but this is the worst I have felt in the past 4months and it's strange to think that we'll be doing the biggest distance in a week's time.

ye i know. the 20 miles seems so long ago. can hardly remember running very long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

+1 to just about everything thats just been said. Did my 8 mile ok last night but if I was to sum up how I feel its tired. Was actually going to post this morning asking if anyone else was feeling crap during taper... My body also feels like its saying "enough" and yes - 20 mile seems like ages ago and yes I'm doubting I did it at all (even though i did it twice). Lots of sleep this week will hopefully sort me out...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have 9marathons done I am currently training for my 10th marathon which is in December. My pb's are below.
    PB half marathon 1.49.44 Galway 3weeks ago
    PB 10k 46.33 this summer (2010)
    PB 10mile 1.18 this summer (2010)
    PB Marathon 4.01.22 2009
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? no
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Monday 60mins
    Tues Track (speed work)
    Wed cross train (weights)
    Thurs long run (this week its 16miles)
    Fri Rest
    Sat 40mins 70percent max heart rate
    Sun 30mins recovery run
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    my goal is break 4 hours in a marathon, i have come close 5 times out of 9 and its soul destroying to have it within your grasp and then lose it. I want to achieve this in the next 6-8months by next summer 2011
    • How many days a week can you train? 5
    • Why are you running this marathon? i love running and want to keep my motivation up over the winter plus keep the weight down as there !

One up side is that the clocks go back this weekend (I think) so getting up early shouldn't be an issue:D

hi dizzymom, it's good to have you on board... but all the discussion on this thread is aiming for Dublin, so I don't know how much help it will be to you...

dizzymom wrote: »
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have 9marathons done I am currently training for my 10th marathon which is in December. My pb's are below.
    PB half marathon 1.49.44 Galway 3weeks ago
    PB 10k 46.33 this summer (2010)
    PB 10mile 1.18 this summer (2010)
    PB Marathon 4.01.22 2009
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? no
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Monday 60mins
    Tues Track (speed work)
    Wed cross train (weights)
    Thurs long run (this week its 16miles)
    Fri Rest
    Sat 40mins 70percent max heart rate
    Sun 30mins recovery run
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    my goal is break 4 hours in a marathon, i have come close 5 times out of 9 and its soul destroying to have it within your grasp and then lose it. I want to achieve this in the next 6-8months by next summer 2011
    • How many days a week can you train? 5
    • Why are you running this marathon? i love running and want to keep my motivation up over the winter plus keep the weight down as there !

Welcome Dizzymom, what has kept the 4 out of reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mrslow wrote:
    One up side is that the clocks go back this weekend (I think) so getting up early shouldn't be an issue

Nope, not until the weekend afterwards. Should be nice and dark getting up on Monday morning as well. Fun.

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    One up side is that the clocks go back this weekend (I think) so getting up early shouldn't be an issue:D

Sorry to disappoint mrslow, but they go back the week after :)

Advertisement