Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Stark wrote: »
    Nope, not until the weekend afterwards. Should be nice and dark getting up on Monday morning as well. Fun.

Never a break :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stark wrote: »
    Nope, not until the weekend afterwards.

No way! It's always the bank holiday weekend. Are you sure?

Does anyone know was the park restricted last year for the race as Mrs. Slow and kids want to come down for support.

wow, just checked myself.

The funny thing is, the countdown clock on the marathon homepage seems to be working on the basis that the clocks will change

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

RayCun wrote: »
    wow, just checked myself.

The funny thing is, the countdown clock on the marathon homepage seems to be working on the basis that the clocks will change

the countdown clock is as though they won't change. they definitely aren't changing then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

My marathon training has been abysmal. I did my first 20 miles 5 weeks ago but very little since (a few 6 miles and a 12). This was partially due to the fact that I was travelling for the 3/4 weeks running up to the race.

Anyway, I'd committed to doing it with a friend, it's the Amsterdam marathon by the way, and just completed it yesterday. For those in my situation I'd advise not to over-strain themselves at any stage of the race even when they get a burst of energy. I'd also advise not bringing a watch and letting your body dictate the pace.

I was expecting a 4.30 finish or if I pushed myself a DNF beforehand. Every 20 minutes or so during the race you see individuals pulling up right up until the last kilometer even. I managed to finish respectably and it is euphoric doing those last few hundred metres.

Best of luck to all first-timers, take care of yourselves and make sure not to DNF.

keanooo wrote: »
    My marathon training has been abysmal. I did my first 20 miles 5 weeks ago but very little since (a few 6 miles and a 12). This was partially due to the fact that I was travelling for the 3/4 weeks running up to the race.

Anyway, I'd committed to doing it with a friend, it's the Amsterdam marathon by the way, and just completed it yesterday. For those in my situation I'd advise not to over-strain themselves at any stage of the race even when they get a burst of energy. I'd also advise not bringing a watch and letting your body dictate the pace.

I was expecting a 4.30 finish or if I pushed myself a DNF beforehand. Every 20 minutes or so during the race you see individuals pulling up right up until the last kilometer even. I managed to finish respectably and it is euphoric doing those last few hundred metres.

Best of luck to all first-timers, take care of yourselves and make sure not to DNF.

DNF??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

mrslow wrote: »
    DNF??:)

Did Not Finish. No thinking about that though!

xebec wrote: »
    Did Not Finish. No thinking about that though!

Hadn't even considered it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

mrslow wrote: »
    Does anyone know was the park restricted last year for the race as Mrs. Slow and kids want to come down for support.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,14740,en.html

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yeh....Feeling quite tired myself although my snacking/drinking in the last two weeks were hardly ideal!! Anyway, lots of focus going on nutrition, early nights and a zero alcohol policy from now until Monday....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This time next week kids...

...I'll hopefully be drunk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

William72 wrote: »
    +1 to just about everything thats just been said. Did my 8 mile ok last night but if I was to sum up how I feel its tired. Was actually going to post this morning asking if anyone else was feeling crap during taper... My body also feels like its saying "enough" and yes - 20 mile seems like ages ago and yes I'm doubting I did it at all (even though i did it twice). Lots of sleep this week will hopefully sort me out...

Ditto to everything you just said. On every run since my 20miler my body has just felt tired. Kind of feels like all the training has taken it's toll and next week will be a struggle but am hoping that it will all come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

RayCun wrote: »
    Pacers are at 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, and 4.30
    What are Pacers? excuse the first timer!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jaytobe wrote: »
    What are Pacers? excuse the first timer!

Experienced marathoners who will be running a set pace for the race - stick with one of them and you will finish in the appropriate time.

They'll be running along carrying big balloons with their finish time on it, should be easy enough to spot.
    They'll also have a stand at the Expo on the weekend where they'll be giving out pace bands* and you can ask them questions.

*a strip of paper that you wear around your wrist. It tells you what time you should be passing each mile marker on the route if you want to finish at a particular time. For example, if you want to finish in 4 hours your pace band will say
    Mile 1 - 9.08
    Mile 2 - 18.16
    Mile 3 - 27.24
    so you can check your time at each marker and know if you need to speed up or slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

A few hours after Saturdays run I noticed two blisters on my foot. They're not big by any stretch of the imagination, but they are the first I've ever got since the taking up this running lark. Footwear and socks were the same as I've worn on any of my runs, so can't attribute it to this.

My only questions are

Why now:confused:
    Should I pop the fuppers.

At the moment don't even notice I have them, but my big fear is if I got them on 12 miler what lies in store in 6 days time:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Soak your feet every night in hot water, between now and Monday, and they should clear up themselves, without you have to burst them.

Did you put bodyglide on your feet before your run?

I've found compeed plasters good.

HTH :)

second the compeed plasters. they're great.

could someone lash up the table? don't want to slack on formalities!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Guys,
    Don't forget to vote for where to meet up for beers after the marathon. I went with marrona's suggestion of McGrattans, but the market bar is now catching up!!

I don't know any Dublin bars, so I'll refrain from voting :pac:

suppose I should vote myself then!

RubyK wrote: »
    I don't any Dublin bars, so I'll refrain from voting :pac:

Well McGrattan's is closest to the finish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

marrona wrote: »
    suppose I should vote myself then!

yep, that's what i was hinting at ;)

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||310.6||
    The Wexican|||328||
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|||408.4||
    beamgirl|||326||
    michellemuncher|||278||
    RayCun|4|21.22|518.5|all done, everything prepared, just the waiting...|
    littlebug|||402.2||
    meathcountysec|||563.53||
    DigiJem|||339|Sluggish midweek runs, but nice LSR.|
    D Chief|||355||
    digger2d2|||455||
    Curl52|||490||
    ilovetorun |||366||
    James Howlett|||450||
    RallyRunner|||410.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|||507.69||
    JEmily|||261||
    Mrslow|||307.8||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop||||one marathon isn't enough for this guy:eek:|
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|||621.39||
    Perkina3||| 500| |
    marrona|||463.03||

marrona wrote: »
    Well McGrattan's is closest to the finish :D

Ohh, that sounds good. It'll be near the hotel so. The less time spent stumbling around on my blistered feet the better :D

I'm off to vote.

William72|||310.6||
    The Wexican|||328||
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|||408.4||
    beamgirl|||326||
    michellemuncher|||278||
    littlebug|||402.2||
    D Chief|||355||
    digger2d2|||455||
    Curl52|||490||
    ilovetorun |||366||
    James Howlett|||450||
    RallyRunner|||410.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|1|3|510.69|Taking tapering, to a whole new low level :eek:|
    JEmily|||261||
    Mrslow|||307.8||
    Agent J|||139| |
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|||621.39||
    Perkina3||| 500| |
    marrona|||463.03||

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

A few hours after Saturdays run I noticed two blisters on my foot. They're not big by any stretch of the imagination, but they are the first I've ever got since the taking up this running lark. Footwear and socks were the same as I've worn on any of my runs, so can't attribute it to this.

My only questions are

Why now:confused:
    Should I pop the fuppers.

At the moment don't even notice I have them, but my big fear is if I got them on 12 miler what lies in store in 6 days time:eek:

Don't worry i got them 2 weeks ago when i went back to my old runners, pain in the arse!

I got Scholl Clear Gel Blister plasters, they kindof cover the blister and provide a second skin. They also sort of kill the blister and heal it, don't know how. But they were brilliant, allowed me to keep running pain free and it to heal. I also now put bit of vaseline where it was before i run, just incase it think about coming back, worked a treat.

I'm sure the Compeed plasters everyone else suggested are similar to the Scholl plasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

William72|||310.6||
    The Wexican|||328||
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|||408.4||
    beamgirl|||326||
    michellemuncher|||278||
    littlebug|||402.2||
    D Chief|||355||
    digger2d2|||455||
    Curl52|||490||
    ilovetorun |||366||
    James Howlett|||450||
    RallyRunner|||410.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|1|3|510.69|Taking tapering, to a whole new low level :eek:|
    JEmily|1|29|290|Now i'm into Taper time this week, last week had good bit of mileage, happy to be done|
    Mrslow|||307.8||
    Agent J|||139| |
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|||621.39||
    Perkina3||| 500| |
    marrona|||463.03||

Advertisement