Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

How much water is everyone drinking every day? I'm drinking about 4 litres, I seem to be going to the loo non-stop :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

ilovetorun wrote: »
    How much water is everyone drinking every day? I'm drinking about 4 litres, I seem to be going to the loo non-stop :o

I'm between water and OJ, it's clearer on the way out than the way in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hi Everyone,

My name is Perkina3 and I relatively new at this running lark though I am pretty fit. I hear the marathon is like next monday or something...Do u think I could finish it in under 4 hours with like 5 days training??? The longest I have ever run like before this is like 2 miles and I had to stop and walk half of it...

Thanks for any advice you guys have :D:D

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Perkina3 and I relatively new at this running lark though I am pretty fit. I hear the marathon is like next monday or something...Do u think I could finish it in under 4 hours with like 5 days training??? The longest I have ever run like before this is like 2 miles and I had to stop and walk half of it...

Thanks for any advice you guys have :D:D

You've no chance, sure you're only a girl.

mrslow wrote: »
    You've no chance, sure you're only a girl.

Shhh...thats a secret though I have the super sexy smooth legs that may prove this theory :P

Damn charity leg wax mad a hash of my manlyness!

• Advertisement

Shhh...thats a secret though I have the super sexy smooth legs that may prove this theory :P

Damn charity leg wax mad a hash of my manlyness!

You wearing those high heels for the race?

Only if someone pays me €2,620,000 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I double dare you :cool:

I double dare you :cool:

I look ridiculous enough with my half waxed legs... I draw the line at high heels lol.... Free pint in it for you though if you start the race in them though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I can only manage 2.5litres...it's too cold in here to drink anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

A few questions about travel to/from the race:

What time would I need to be at the start area? I just want to have time to leave bag in baggage area and get to the start. I don't want to be hanging around for too long, nor do I want to do any real warm-up. I don't want to put myself under pressure but at the same time I want to minimise time hanging around and I want to maximise time in bed. Where exactly is the baggage area?

Is driving in a good idea or would I be better getting a lift or taxi? Like, what are the options re parking close to the start/finish? Also, I want to get away quickly afterwards, and probably it will be easier to get a taxi than going go get my car, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

about 4 litres as well. I have actually moved my desk at work into the toilets, it saves me having to walk every half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

BrokenMan wrote: »
    about 4 litres as well. I have actually moved my desk at work into the toilets, it saves me having to walk every half hour.

I'm in a very quiet office, no-one is talking at the mo and I just laughed really loud reading your comment!!!
    Brilliant idea-must do same tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JEmily wrote: »
    I can only manage 2.5litres...it's too cold in here to drink anymore...

And what about water?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

I look ridiculous enough with my half waxed legs...

half waxed? did you wuss out half way through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

coke'n'crisps=fluid'n'carbs right?:o

marrona wrote: »
    half waxed? did you wuss out half way through?

Nope it was a charity event and there was 5 of us....You would be surprised how long it took to take off what we got done..... We jus didn have the time...I would much prefer to have had them done properly than look like a twat with what I have done lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|18.1|328.7|sure tis grand|
    The Wexican|4|26.5|385|tick tock tick tock|
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|||408.4||
    beamgirl|||326||
    michellemuncher|3|17|297|I should have done a bit more but I also did a really tough cycle up to Howth Hill.|
    RayCun|4|21.22|518.5|all done, everything prepared, just the waiting...|
    littlebug|4|21|423.2|yup I have all the imaginary illnesses and injuries too|
    meathcountysec|||563.53||
    DigiJem|4|21|360|Spent the week over-thinking everything.|
    D Chief|4|21.5|376.5|Just counting down the time and trying to think positively.|
    digger2d2|4|19|474|All good to go for Monday|
    Curl52|||490||
    ilovetorun |4|21|387|Bit sluggish this week. Waking really early for the past few mornings. Getting butterflies every time I think about it!|
    James Howlett|3|17|467|A great sickness has a hold of me and unfortunately it doesn't appear to letting go anytime soon|
    RallyRunner|||410.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|1|3|510.69|Taking tapering, to a whole new low level :eek:|
    JEmily|1|29|290|Now i'm into Taper time this week, last week had good bit of mileage, happy to be done|
    Mrslow|3|17|324.8| I tiredy boy :(|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop||||one marathon isn't enough for this guy:eek:|
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|5|26.2|647.59|A week of total taper madness, mysetery injuries and ilness included. This week's going to be fun :D|
    Perkina3||| 500| |
    marrona|4|19.3|482.33|raring to go|

thought I had escaped the taper madness until yesterday evening when I suddenly went into a frenzied panic cos I thought I was comiing down with a cold (again) - just hope it is taper madness...? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Nope it was a charity event and there was 5 of us....You would be surprised how long it took to take off what we got done..... We jus didn have the time...I would much prefer to have had them done properly than look like a twat with what I have done lol....
    Venus the rest and feel, and look, like the goddess that you are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

D Chief wrote: »
    A few questions about travel to/from the race:

What time would I need to be at the start area? I just want to have time to leave bag in baggage area and get to the start. I don't want to be hanging around for too long, nor do I want to do any real warm-up. I don't want to put myself under pressure but at the same time I want to minimise time hanging around and I want to maximise time in bed. Where exactly is the baggage area?

Is driving in a good idea or would I be better getting a lift or taxi? Like, what are the options re parking close to the start/finish? Also, I want to get away quickly afterwards, and probably it will be easier to get a taxi than going go get my car, right?

Probably best asking in a thread with people who have done it before :D

My own plan is to leave the house around 7.10, to get to LUAS around 7.30, get to Abbey Street around 7.50, walk down, arriving about 8.15, drop in bags and find a place by the 4.00 pacers.

That said, maybe I'll wake up at 5.30 the morning, pace around the house until 6.30, and be the first one there :rolleyes:

Probably better off not planning to drive home afterwards, between the drink and the fallen-off legs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|4|21|429.4|Bring it on.|
    beamgirl|||326||
    michellemuncher|3|17|297|I should have done a bit more but I also did a really tough cycle up to Howth Hill.|
    D Chief|4|21.5|376.5|Just counting down the time and trying to think positively.|
    Curl52|||490||
    ilovetorun |4|21|387|Bit sluggish this week. Waking really early for the past few mornings. Getting butterflies every time I think about it!|
    James Howlett|3|17|467|A great sickness has a hold of me and unfortunately it doesn't appear to letting go anytime soon|
    RallyRunner|||410.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    JEmily|1|29|290|Now i'm into Taper time this week, last week had good bit of mileage, happy to be done|
    Agent J|||139| |
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|5|26.2|647.59|A week of total taper madness, mysetery injuries and ilness included. This week's going to be fun :D|
    Perkina3||| 500| |

Fortunately taper madness hasn't kicked in that much yet, had an exam today to prepare for, which I'm pretty sure I nailed.

Now that it's over i'm sure panic will start soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|4|21|429.4|Bring it on.|
    beamgirl|2|14|340|Please be over soon|
    Curl52|||490||
    RallyRunner|||410.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    Agent J|||139| |
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    Perkina3||| 500| |

RayCun wrote: »
    My own plan is to leave the house around 7.10, to get to LUAS around 7.30, get to Abbey Street around 7.50, walk down, arriving about 8.15, drop in bags and find a place by the 4.00 pacers.

Might see you on that Luas.....;)

I was thinking I'd jog the 11 miles from home to the start as a nice warm up (10 min miles), then afterwards, drink 12 pints of Guinness and jog home.

Seriously, with the public transport in Dublin 15, I'll be lucky to get there at all, hope I can squeeze onto the outside of the 39X unless the roof is free:rolleyes:
    I could of course ask Digger for a loan of his car and park it in the canal by Leeson St, then lose him by running a 3:10 race :D

Where can we pick up numbers and stuff?

I could of course ask Digger for a loan of his car and park it in the canal by Leeson St, then lose him by running a 3:10 race :D

Solution.....Tell JEmily, there's Baileys 'n' Brandy in the Canal and watch just how quickly she drains it......;)

Expo in the RDS this coming Saturday and Sunday...Make sure you bring a print out of your recent email

You're joking, right?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Solution.....Tell JEmily, there's Baileys 'n' Brandy in the Canal and watch just how quickly she drains it......;)

Tell her it's at the finish line and she'll leave the Kenyans for dust :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

**culchie alert**
    Heuston station to the rds..... luas to Connolly/ dart to sandymount? Easy enough or should I just get a taxi?

Advertisement