Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Expo in the RDS this coming Saturday and Sunday...Make sure you bring a print out of your recent email
    jez...forgot that I accidently deleted that mail and mailed them again....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    **culchie alert**
    Heuston station to the rds..... luas to Connolly/ dart to sandymount? Easy enough or should I just get a taxi?

Get off the Luas at Abbey St, walk out to O'Connell St and get a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

**culchie alert**
    Heuston station to the rds..... luas to Connolly/ dart to sandymount? Easy enough or should I just get a taxi?

This may dictate your plans littlebug...

23rd-25th October: works affecting all trains operating to/from Connolly & Tara St by Corporate Communications
    Due to major infrastructure works between Pearse and north of Connolly across the bank holiday weekend Saturday 23rd to Monday 25th October, alternative arrangements will apply to all services operating to and from Connolly and Tara Street stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Get off the Luas at Abbey St, walk out to O'Connell St and get a bus.

ok when you say "a bus" what do I look out for on the front of that bus :confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ok when you say "a bus" what do I look out for on the front of that bus :confused::o

4 or 7 would probably be the handiest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Go with plan A, Luas - Connolly - Sandymount, little bit of a stroll from Sandymount Station but nothing major.

RayCun wrote: »
    They'll be running along carrying big balloons with their finish time on it, should be easy enough to spot.
    They'll also have a stand at the Expo on the weekend where they'll be giving out pace bands* and you can ask them questions.

*a strip of paper that you wear around your wrist. It tells you what time you should be passing each mile marker on the route if you want to finish at a particular time. For example, if you want to finish in 4 hours your pace band will say
    Mile 1 - 9.08
    Mile 2 - 18.16
    Mile 3 - 27.24
    so you can check your time at each marker and know if you need to speed up or slow down.
    Class, is there is a big scumossil at the start trying to get to your pace 'zone'?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

What happened with plans for an unofficial 4:15 pace group?

I would tag along if that is happening, as I am clueless about pace.

If not, I will probably keep with the 4hr pace group for the two miles or so. At least it will stop me running the first mile in 8 mins, which I could do if left to my own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

jaytobe wrote: »
    Class, is there is a big scumossil at the start trying to get to your pace 'zone'?

Get there reasonably early (15-20 minutes before) and you'll have no problem...

xebec wrote: »
    Get there reasonably early (15-20 minutes before) and you'll have no problem...
    Are the pace zones marked out clearly enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

jaytobe wrote: »
    Are the pace zones marked out clearly enough?

There's three waves - sub 3:30, 3:30 - 4:15 and 4:15+. The pacers will be placed appropriately in these waves with balloons hanging off them.

D Chief wrote: »

If not, I will probably keep with the 4hr pace group for the two miles or so. At least it will stop me running the first mile in 8 mins, which I could do if left to my own devices.

We're now aiming for sub 4, God help us! I blame Xebec if truth be told.

So, we're only just over a week away now! Our plan for this week...
    RK, that was very good for the week. Will you do something similar for race morning also...food wise, timing, water intake.

HH book says not to take any fluids for the 2hrs prior (avoid too many loo stops etc..). He was saying that sipping from 10mins prior is good as it will get used in the system and won't reach the bladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Discussion topic: How are you feeling now? Hit taper madness yet, are the nerves building at this stage? Any niggling injuries?

Hi folks hope you don't mind me tagging along on this thread for the last few days, but finding it great to hear I'm not the only one with nerves / niggles / utter fear / total excitement for Monday!

This is my first marathon, I've been following a training schedule and didn't know what I'd be like this week, but the feeling is very very.... odd. LAst LSR sunday went well, ran on grass and comfortable pace. Then 3 miles on Monday in the gym was *awful* - had stitches in my side, felt sluggish, could barely finish!! :confused: An injury I picked up weeks ago has come back to haunt me ('phantom niggle' anyone? ;)) it's a pain on the top of my right foot - maybe a bruised metatarsal or just strange foot pain as I have fallen arches so I have awkward feet anyway. And I went off a horse a few weeks ago so a little lower back pain. Enjoying my pasta in the evenings but that has me feeling even more sluggish... Taper Madness indeed!

My biggest worry at the moment, however, is sleeping on Sunday night. I'm not a great sleeper at best of times, I am NOT a morning person, and when I'm anxious about getting up at a certain time I keep waking up to check the alarm. Any words of wisdom?? Have been advised to try to get plenty of sleep this week (so far so good) and early to bed Sat (I will) but any other tricks of the trade to ensure we're bright eyed and bushy tailed Monday morning?!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I was a bit of johnny come lately to this thread but really enjoyed the lsr's with the folks from here over the last few weeks.

Won't be able to make the expo on saturday (have a long standing commitment to be at three little pigs puppet show....) but will be lurking around the 4 hour pacers on Mon morning so hopefully see you then.

Best of luck to one and all !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

"You’ll find out that not everyone you meet on the Internet is an axe-wielding, homicidal psycho billy. Because you’ll meet up with them in a public place (you never can be sure, so pick somewhere crowded), and find out that runners are runners are runners and they’re a very irritatingly lovely cult, whether you meet them in the start corral or online.
    Still, the Internet is filled to the gills with psychos. You might want to write that on a post it and stick it on the side of your monitor."

http://shnoos.com/?p=111

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

D Chief wrote: »

Do you have a stopwatch, or something similar?
    Print yourself a paceband and use it to keep yourself on track

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

marrona wrote: »
    "You’ll find out that not everyone you meet on the Internet is an axe-wielding, homicidal psycho billy.

Speak for yourself.

Man i wish i was running this again this year. Best of luck to all of ye monday - most importantly ENJOY IT! It's your first and even though it may be your slowest marathon that you will do, you will remember it, maybe more so than the ones you do in the future. You will cross that finish line on Monday and say 'Never again' .. but we shall see!

Looking forward to the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Guys,I tlooks like I'm getting a cold :( All cold like symptoms....I know its not the end of the world but I'm a little panicky about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I have a stopwatch and I will do a pace wristband. I just hope the mile markers are clearly visible. I didn't see the first 3 or 4 in the half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Guys,I tlooks like I'm getting a cold :( All cold like symptoms....I know its not the end of the world but I'm a little panicky about it.

Get 2 grams of vit c into ya today - thats 2000mgs - you can get dissolvable tabs that are 1gm each - take 2 of them (any more and you will be on the loo). Extra rest, and eat well and right as rain in no time. Its mostly taper madness

Thanks ULstudent -I took a lemsip first thing this morning but the sneezing has started since. Off to the shops now for some Vitamin C -thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Thanks ULstudent -I took a lemsip first thing this morning but the sneezing has started since. Off to the shops now for some Vitamin C -thanks a mill

Agree with the Vitamin C, i'm taking a Berrocca every morning now. My whole family have the flu, and 2 guys in work. I can avoid the guys in work but it's hard to avoid family unfortunately:p

So far so good...

JEmily wrote: »
    Agree with the Vitamin C, i'm taking a Berrocca every morning now. My whole family have the flu, and 2 guys in work. I can avoid the guys in work but it's hard to avoid family unfortunately:p

So far so good...

I probably should have started taking something earlier-like last week maybe but I never get colds so I didn't think I'd need to :(
    Think I will get some Berrocca too at lunchtime-Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Plenty of fluids, and stay warm. I find the panadol blackberry drinks very good.

From what I'm learning the last week or so, it seems hard to feel well during tapering :eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

wosheen wrote: »
    My biggest worry at the moment, however, is sleeping on Sunday night. I'm not a great sleeper at best of times, I am NOT a morning person, and when I'm anxious about getting up at a certain time I keep waking up to check the alarm. Any words of wisdom?? Have been advised to try to get plenty of sleep this week (so far so good) and early to bed Sat (I will) but any other tricks of the trade to ensure we're bright eyed and bushy tailed Monday morning?!

I know you are worried about this but really dont- Dublin was my first marathon last year and I didnt sleep a wink the night before. No exggeration I was lying staring at the ceiling until 2 am then would drift off for maybe 10 minutes every now and then. Got up at 4 and went on the computer for a while and then lay back in bed until it was time to get ready for the race.

It really didnt affect me at all, apart from the stress of worrrying about it. As long as you are resting in the run up to the race you should be fine.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Got a 'Good luck' card on my dest at work this morning from a co-worker (a past marathon runner). His wise words were to tell me to enjoy it. :)
    Am a bundle of nerves and excitment so a gesture like this meant a lot.

I'm a bit under pressure too, first of all some friends and co-workers will be along the route. Also some family members, of the older generation don't think i'll make it. They haven't said this to my face mind, but then again i'm not sure I pay any heed to their comments (and obvious running expertise!)
    One relative said 'she's putting too much pressure on herself, she's actually giving herself a time limit, I think it's 2 and a half hours or something, oh, or maybe it's 4 and a half' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

jcsmum wrote: »
    Got a 'Good luck' card on my dest at work this morning from a co-worker (a past marathon runner). His wise words were to tell me to enjoy it. :)
    Am a bundle of nerves and excitment so a gesture like this meant a lot.

I'm a bit under pressure too, first of all some friends and co-workers will be along the route. Also some family members, of the older generation don't think i'll make it. They haven't said this to my face mind, but then again i'm not sure I pay any heed to their comments (and obvious running expertise!)
    One relative said 'she's putting too much pressure on herself, she's actually giving herself a time limit, I think it's 2 and a half hours or something, oh, or maybe it's 4 and a half' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ha, ha, they don't realise your a clever person who actually put the TIME and TRAINING in a long time ago...polish those pearly whites as your not going to stop grinning at them for months to come:D!!!

Love it when people think your as stupid as they are;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I haven't been on a run since Saturday.

I feel... lazy?

Sorry about the cold ilovetorun. I've had mine since Friday and it's not going anywhere. Consider it another obstacle to over take on monday.

Advertisement