Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

jcsmum wrote: »

I'm a bit under pressure too, first of all some friends and co-workers will be along the route. Also some family members, of the older generation don't think i'll make it.

Relatives on the course give you a huge lift, the more the better.

Of course you'll make it, what do they know about marathon running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Got a 'Good luck' card on my dest at work this morning from a co-worker (a past marathon runner). His wise words were to tell me to enjoy it. :)
    Am a bundle of nerves and excitment so a gesture like this meant a lot.

That's lovely jcsmum, he obviously knows how much work you've put into this. A really nice gesture that will give you a boost of confidence.

I'm a bit under pressure too, first of all some friends and co-workers will be along the route. Also some family members, of the older generation don't think i'll make it.

Don't feel under pressure, you'll be delighted to see them on they day, and they will be really proud of you. I know I got horrified looks when I told some family I was going for it. I'm still getting horrifed looks now, 4 months on! I look at it as their way (although slightly annoying) of showing they care about me, rather than negativity :pac:.

Positive thoughts all the way :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I was just in with a customer who mentioned their brother in law was running, I asked what time he was going for and she said 3:15, I replied wow that's fast, I'm going for 4:00 - she replied "Well he's a good bit younger than you" :mad: I'm only 34 for christ's sake:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I haven't been on a run since Saturday.

I feel... lazy?

Sorry about the cold ilovetorun. I've had mine since Friday and it's not going anywhere. Consider it another obstacle to over take on monday.

It's rotten luck at this stage James & ilovetorun to catch a cold, but the hard work is all done now. Mind yourselves, and you'll be right as rain for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RubyK wrote: »

Don't feel under pressure, you'll be delighted to see them on they day, and they will be really proud of you. I know I got horrified looks when I told some family I was going for it. I'm still getting horrifed looks now, 4 months on! I look at it as their way (although slightly annoying) of showing they care about me, rather than negativity :pac:.

Positive thoughts all the way :D.

I know, I'm pretending I'm insulted, but really it's funny. Also it will spurn me on at mile 20!! :D

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    I was just in with a customer who mentioned their brother in law was running, I asked what time he was going for and she said 3:15, I replied wow that's fast, I'm going for 4:00 - she replied "Well he's a good bit younger than you" :mad: I'm only 34 for christ's sake:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ah mrslow, what are some people like :confused:

I know, I'm pretending I'm insulted, but really it's funny. Also it will spurn me on at mile 20!! :D

That's the spirit jscmum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

What goes around comes around, that's what you get for making JEmily :mad: and giving her Taper Madness syndrome :p

3.30...:rolleyes: tisk...

JEmily wrote: »
    What goes around comes around, that's what you get for making JEmily :mad: and giving her Taper Madness syndrome :p

3.30...:rolleyes: tisk...

Thanks for the support:(, I was hoping for " she's a moron" or "don't mind her" I guess I'll have to break the 'just for men' out of the glass case in the bathroom and start wearing whatever it is young folk wear these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thanks for the support:(, I was hoping for " she's a moron" or "don't mind her" I guess I'll have to break the 'just for men' out of the glass case in the bathroom and start wearing whatever it is young folk wear these days.

I was going to say, you should ask Digger, then again maybe not! ;):D

• Advertisement

I was going to say, you should ask Digger, then again maybe not! ;):D

Good idea, I'll ask Digger which shade is his favourite, don't want to clash on Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

James Howlett-I'm at my desk with plenty of Vitamin C, Panadol drink for later and Berocca thanks to the advice form the guys here so fingers crossed(I wouldnt mind but I never take painkillers/ antibiotics etc-I always try to fight it but Taper Madness has me driven mad ;) )
    I presume you've taken everything and anything to get rid of it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I'm in knots laughing reading this thread - sorry but you're all gone stark raving mad in here!! I've heard of cabin fever but never realised tapering fever was way worse than that. Brilliant, keep going as it's entertaining me no end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Don't mind her, she's a moron!
    Seriously though, Luke Skywalker said over-confidence is a weakness and sure didn't he get the best of the Emperor by turning his right-hand man against him?

♫If you like Bailey's and Brandy and getting sloshed in the rain, If you're really into horsey's and have DCM on the brain♫

Don't mind her, she's a moron!
    Seriously though, Luke Skywalker said over-confidence is a weakness and sure didn't he get the best of the Emperor by turning his right-hand man against him?

Thanks James, am thinking about getting a tattoo and a few piercings, maybe growing my hair and....ah F*ck it I'll just grow old gracefully and run a marathon or something!

♫If you like Bailey's and Brandy and getting sloshed in the rain, If you're really into horsey's and have DCM on the brain♫

La, la, la, la - This could be a hit for you MrSlow...;)

This so going on my DCM tshirt next year if i do another - God help me!

♫If you like making love in halting sites♫

Sorry, I always go too far:(

Sorry, I always go too far:(

Right, too far...

Where's Digger when you need him to keep you occupied...i haven't got the patience:p

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

RubyK wrote: »
    you'll be right as rain for Monday.
    What's right about rain? I hope it doesn't rain monday. actually don't mind, like running in the rain. but dont wanna be stood there half an hour before start in it. jees, it's gettin cold. my 20miler was on oct 1st, a fine warm indian summer's day. now im running in full tracksuits. wondering if my singlet is still appropriate!

anyone know how long it would take the last bunch behind the 4:30 pacers to cross the start line?

• Advertisement

Right, too far...

Where's Digger when you need him to keep you occupied...i haven't got the patience:p

1148.gif097.gif

marrona wrote: »
    What's right about rain? I hope it doesn't rain monday. actually don't mind, like running in the rain. but dont wanna be stood there half an hour before start in it. jees, it's gettin cold. my 20miler was on oct 1st, a fine warm indian summer's day. now im running in full tracksuits. wondering if my singlet is still appropriate!

anyone know how long it would take the last bunch behind the 4:30 pacers to cross the start line?

If it stays this cold it's gonna sting pumping that cold air through cold muscles :eek:

Met Eireann Forecast:

But it will be a cool day and Sunday night will be cold and frosty. Most parts of the country will enjoy a dry bright day for Bank Holiday Monday, but after that the weather stays quite wet for next week. 143.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Met Eireann Forecast:

But it will be a cool day and Sunday night will be cold and frosty. Most parts of the country will enjoy a dry bright day for Bank Holiday Monday, but after that the weather stays quite wet for next week. 143.gif

FROSTY? really?? flip. good day for monday though - yay! i actually notice that forecasts are nearly always right - dunno why people say opposite :cool:

marrona wrote: »
    FROSTY? really?? flip. good day for monday though - yay! i actually notice that forecasts are nearly always right - dunno why people say opposite :cool:

To be discussed again on Monday morning while trying to shelter from the monsoon wind and rain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Try reverse those numbers and then see how you feel.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Right, too far...

♫ In a white Hiace, meet in a bar called McGrattans, if you dare show your face ♫

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I'm a bit under pressure too, first of all some friends and co-workers will be along the route. Also some family members, of the older generation don't think i'll make it. They haven't said this to my face mind, but then again i'm not sure I pay any heed to their comments (and obvious running expertise!)
    One relative said 'she's putting too much pressure on herself, she's actually giving herself a time limit, I think it's 2 and a half hours or something, oh, or maybe it's 4 and a half' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't know what my older relatives think but last weekend when my 7yo nephew heard I was going to run 26 miles he made a face and said "I wouldn't do that if I was you!"

I am ignoring that advice too.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Try reverse those numbers and then see how you feel.....;)

Fair enough but you look about 12!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|18.1|328.7|sure tis grand|
    The Wexican|4|26.5|385|tick tock tick tock|
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||370||
    brophya2007|4|21|429.4|Bring it on.|
    beamgirl|2|14|340|Please be over soon|
    michellemuncher|3|17|297|I should have done a bit more but I also did a really tough cycle up to Howth Hill.|
    RayCun|4|21.22|518.5|all done, everything prepared, just the waiting...|
    littlebug|4|21|423.2|yup I have all the imaginary illnesses and injuries too|
    meathcountysec|||563.53||
    DigiJem|4|21|360|Spent the week over-thinking everything.|
    D Chief|4|21.5|376.5|Just counting down the time and trying to think positively.|
    digger2d2|4|19|474|All good to go for Monday|
    Curl52|||490||
    ilovetorun |4|21|387|Bit sluggish this week. Waking really early for the past few mornings. Getting butterflies every time I think about it!|
    James Howlett|3|17|467|A great sickness has a hold of me and unfortunately it doesn't appear to letting go anytime soon|
    RallyRunner|3|18|410.1|Get me to the start line now...|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|1|3|510.69|Taking tapering, to a whole new low level :eek:|
    JEmily|1|29|290|Now i'm into Taper time this week, last week had good bit of mileage, happy to be done|
    Mrslow|3|17|324.8| I tiredy boy :(|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop||||one marathon isn't enough for this guy:eek:|
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|5|26.2|647.59|A week of total taper madness, mysetery injuries and ilness included. This week's going to be fun :D|
    Perkina3||| 500| |
    marrona|4|19.3|482.33|raring to go|

Had a rough week last week. On the Wednesday, felt very sluggish, and after 3 miles both knees were giving me grief. First time I've had any bother like that. Skipped the Thursday run and took the LSR easy. Over analysing everything now and worrying about every step on the run. Tapering madness in full effect.

Advertisement