Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Your all nuts ! Just wondering what marathon any of you are thinking of after Dublin is over

I'm hoping to do the Waterford half marathon, I did it last year and its a great route and very well organised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

ilovetorun wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the Waterford half marathon, I did it last year and its a great route and very well organised

That's my plan too! Nice to have a race right on your doorstep :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best to the posters here for Monday!

Looking forward to a good day out with the sub-4:30 pace group - although by the sounds of it, we could be a little lonely, as most seem to be heading for <4:00 - 4:15:)

And remember that old marathon mantra
    "A fist full of vaseline and a smile will go a long way to happiness..."*:D

* Disclaimer: might not actually be an old marathon cliche...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I am also thinking of maybe doing Barcalona but the heat could actually kill me so we will haveto see!!!!!!

I am going to run a few halfs...I have a target of sub 1.40 to break like!!!! It won't do it by itself....I am going to be bulkin up though after this so will have to try keep my aerobic fitness too....

Pfffff tough going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Your all nuts ! Just wondering what marathon any of you are thinking of after Dublin is over

Gonna have a crack off Waterford myself next and try to break smash my 1:45 half PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Izoard wrote: »
    "A fist full of vaseline and a smile will go a long way to happiness..."*:D

That may be more to do with self gratification and less to do with running ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Marathonwise probably Cork

going to rerun a few half first though Waterford and Connemara (I got some serious unfinished business with that damned hill)

was having a look at connemarathon. seems to be same price for half and full. €70 very pricey for a half.

I've had butterflies all morning and am totally distracted...Is it Monday yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

mrslow wrote: »

Great paragraph below from the quoted article, I myself will be imagining my sheer sence of achievement that will be awaiting me when I cross that finish line (and hopefully under 4:00:00)

"A competitive weight lifter might work themselves up to a mental and physical frenzy before attempting a heavy lift. You can do the same thing as a marathon runner that has hit the wall. You need to find someway to psych yourself up. Imagine a charging rhino chasing you. Pick a competitor in front of you and pass them at any cost. Get mad. Get angry. Get desperate. Do what ever you need to do in order to break the hold your central nervous system (CNS) has on you. This takes some practice but eventually you will be able to call on your “game face” at will and override your CNS. Again, it will only last for short time before your CNS regains its hold, but it could give you the extra mile or so you need to defeat the wall."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jeez....I put Bodyglide under my arms in error this morning...Taper madness, sure it won't let you down.....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Weather for Monday is looking pretty near perfect at the moment.

Going to be pretty cold at the start line though so off to Pennys for cheap throwaway hats and gloves if you havn't been already. An old top or to wear at the start that you can dump as well would be advisable.

Also make sure you have something warm to change into at the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Ray Darcy was on the radio and said there was a good article in the Daily Telegraph in relation to carbo loading etc. for marathon runners. Will try get paper on lunch...

2fm are doing a "what's been your most memorable highlight in life" experience this morning. Triathlon, Marathon, Hill Climb etc. Listen out as it might be good to hear some good stories.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Weather for Monday is looking pretty near perfect at the moment.

Going to be pretty cold at the start line though so off to Pennys for cheap throwaway hats and gloves if you havn't been already. An old top or to wear at the start that you can dump as well would be advisable.

Also make sure you have something warm to change into at the finish.

I have the hat and gloves and an old top. Do i need old bottoms when standing at start line or should the jumper, gloves and hat be ok with my shorts. Just don't want to be too cold starting off.

JEmily wrote: »
    Ray Darcy was on the radio and said there was a good article in the Daily Telegraph in relation to carbo loading etc. for marathon runners. Will try get paper on lunch...

2fm are doing a "what's been your most memorable highlight in life" experience this morning. Triathlon, Marathon, Hill Climb etc. Listen out as it might be good to hear some good stories.
    Is Ray running? last year a loada djs did it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

is the plan for tomorrow still 14:30 at the Pacer's Stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck to you all, hope you all hit your goals. I've been reading this thread for a while now and it's perfectly clear you're all nuts;) Hope you all have a great race on Monday - I'm so jealous! Looking forward to reading all the reports after the big race.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's where I'll be...

James Howlett-Hows your cold? Better I hope?

marrona wrote: »
    Is Ray running? last year a loada djs did it

No, don't think so this year. He done it last year, or was it the Half he done.

• Advertisement

No, don't think so this year. He done it last year, or was it the Half he done.

He did it last year in 4:02:33 (i have too much time on my hands!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

ilovetorun wrote: »
    James Howlett-Hows your cold? Better I hope?

Still there I'm afraid. Work has been horrendously busy so no time to squeeze in the rest period but i'll solider on.

Don't worry I'll wear a Surgeon's mask tomorrow so as not to infect you guys :)

I have the hat and gloves and an old top. Do i need old bottoms when standing at start line or should the jumper, gloves and hat be ok with my shorts. Just don't want to be too cold starting off.

You're well covered with those hairy legs :D

incidentally, looking at times, never more than 6 mins between chip and finish time. and 1-2 minutes difference more commonly. so that's how long it takes to cross the line right? wondering so can tell people where i'll be at what time

Is this it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1322805/Marathon-runners-avoid-hitting-wall-carb-calculating-formula.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

If so, this is the calculator http://endurancecalculator.com/

Well done Ray, good time too

Not for me I'm afraid.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Probably no harm having something. Just make sure to get rid before the start. Hang onto the gloves and hat for a while until you warm up.

• Advertisement

Still there I'm afraid. Work has been horrendously busy so no time to squeeze in the rest period but i'll solider on.

Don't worry I'll wear a Surgeon's mask tomorrow so as not to infect you guys :)

Fub it anyway but you've put in all the hard work so your training will stand by you.

Advertisement