Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|4|16|16|Great to get started!|
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|3|13.2|30.83|Missed Thursday's 3 miler but got the 6 mile LSR run in on saturday at 58.30|
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|21.5|41.8|don't know if it was the heat or the pace, but was completely exhausted after Saturday's LSR. Felt fine the next day though|
    littlebug|4|20|39.2|A good week. Happy with 8 mile lsr|
    meathcountysec|4|22.23|103|Happy with week's mileage considering having a race scheduled. Still not getting the 5th run in. Might be more determined when official start of plan comes on 5th July|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|86|Found 6m really hard on Saturday,felt like I was carrying a few blocks on my back! But thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays 8m,funny how you have good/bad days for no reason! Overall - very happy with the week|
    James Howlett|||||

Total to date? Is this total from starting the schedule.... ie if on week 2 it should only be last weeks total or total from when we joined the thread? I've put in 2 weeks for no good reason but will change accordingly if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

littlebug wrote: »
    Total to date? Is this total from starting the schedule.... ie if on week 2 it should only be last weeks total or total from when we joined the thread? I've put in 2 weeks for no good reason but will change accordingly if needs be.

I put in 'total since I started the schedule', but I don't think it really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|3|13.2|30.83|Missed Thursday's 3 miler but got the 6 mile LSR run in on saturday at 58.30|
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|21.5|41.8|don't know if it was the heat or the pace, but was completely exhausted after Saturday's LSR. Felt fine the next day though|
    meathcountysec|4|22.23|103|Happy with week's mileage considering having a race scheduled. Still not getting the 5th run in. Might be more determined when official start of plan comes on 5th July|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|86|Found 6m really hard on Saturday,felt like I was carrying a few blocks on my back! But thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays 8m,funny how you have good/bad days for no reason! Overall - very happy with the week|
    James Howlett|3|20|20|First long run of the season last night. Despte my best planning I didn't get out until 21:30 last night but thankfully I managed the whole thing in 1 piece. Legs do hurt today though...|

Just putting myself back in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi all,

Haven't been around for a while, focusing on my my 1st half marathon next sunday in Clontarf. I did the full distance in a training run last week and did it in 2hr 19min.....the course i did was fairly hilly and my used my own home made energy drink which back fired on me:o:p

I'll make a decision on the full marathon after that !

I have to scrap doing the full marathon in Longford in Aug because of work commitments and limited time for training, but i am doing the half that day instead.

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|2|16.5|280|my total is my year training total, i am running a half marathon next Sunday so did the full distance last week as my final LSR. Only 3 session this week with the half in mind. Then i'll sit down and think do i want to focus on Dublin in Oct.|
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    James Howlett|3|20|20|First long run of the season last night. Despte my best planning I didn't get out until 21:30 last night but thankfully I managed the whole thing in 1 piece. Legs do hurt today though...|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    The emphasis in the Higdon plan is to run easy, but get used to the higher mileage. Deciding what 'easy' is, is up to the individual runner.
    ^ Got it in a nutshell. Easy pace is going to be different for all of you, and can even vary from day to day depending on how you're feeling, weather, pollen, time of day... While the thread is named "Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread", that doesn't mean you're all tied to 10.18/mile pace! All I'll say in terms of pace guidelines for midweek is that the runs should feel comfortable.

Your targets will become much clearer as training goes on, and the races you do in the meantime will also inform you somewhat.

^ Got it in a nutshell. Easy pace is going to be different for all of you, and can even vary from day to day depending on how you're feeling, weather, pollen, time of day... While the thread is named "Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread", that doesn't mean you're all tied to 10.18/mile pace!

Your targets will become much clearer as training goes on, and the races you do in the meantime will also inform you somewhat.[/QUOTE]

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|4|26||Happy with where I am at this stage but finding the heat quite hard to run in, probably the only person glad to see the rain this week!|
    Figmurphy|||||
    James Howlett|||||

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|2|16.5|280| my total is my year training total, i am running a half marathon next Sunday so did the full distance last week as my final LSR. Only 3 session this week with the half in mind. Then i'll sit down and think do i want to focus on Dublin in Oct.|
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|4|20|39.2|a good week. happy with 8mile lsr|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|4|26||Happy with where I am at this stage but finding the heat quite hard to run in, probably the only person glad to see the rain this week!|
    Figmurphy|||||
    James Howlett|3|20|20| First long run of the season last night. Despte my best planning I didn't get out until 21:30 last night but thankfully I managed the whole thing in 1 piece. Legs do hurt today though...|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|4|16.2|32.2|week 2 of HH novice complete and happy enough so far|
    Figmurphy|||||
    James Howlett|||||

Thanks for the advice on pace - I was stressing about that last week for some reason so will just relax and go at a comfortable pace right now.

• Advertisement

Howareya,

I have been knocked out of this table twice this morning and the last entry knowed 3 of us out.

Please take care to ensure you quote the latest post before entering your own details.

I'm sorry if it's not my place to say this, just trying to keep everyone together :)

Howareya,

I have been knocked out of this table twice this morning and the last entry knowed 3 of us out.

Please take care to ensure you quote the latest post before entering your own details.

I'm sorry if it's not my place to say this, just trying to keep everyone together :)

James, it looks like we posted at pretty much the same time hence you're not on mine as I just took the last one up. Will re-post so we're up-todate.

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|2|16.5|280| my total is my year training total, i am running a half marathon next Sunday so did the full distance last week as my final LSR. Only 3 session this week with the half in mind. Then i'll sit down and think do i want to focus on Dublin in Oct.|
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|4|16.2|32.2|week 2 of HH novice complete and happy enough with the week so far|
    Figmurphy|||||
    James Howlett|3|20|20| First long run of the season last night. Despte my best planning I didn't get out until 21:30 last night but thankfully I managed the whole thing in 1 piece. Legs do hurt today though...|

shazkea wrote: »
    James, it looks like we posted at pretty much the same time hence you're not on mine as I just took the last one up. Will re-post so we're up-todate.

Looks like we're all good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|4|17|33|Good week all told|
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|4|16.2|32.2|week 2 of HH novice complete and happy enough with the week so far|
    Figmurphy|||||
    James Howlett|3|20|20| First long run of the season last night. Despte my best planning I didn't get out until 21:30 last night but thankfully I managed the whole thing in 1 piece. Legs do hurt today though...|[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|4|15|15|i stuck to the plan to the letter, this was planned and not just cos I didnt feel great running all week, besides Thursday session;)|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|4|4|15|i stuck to the plan to the letter, this was planned and not just cos I didnt feel great running all week, besides Thursday session;)|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|4|20|40.5|Wk 2 of HH Novice 2 done, struggled a bit with the 9 mile lsr on Saturday, that said, played golf on Friday and then went out and had a fair few pints :eek:|
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|4|4|15|i stuck to the plan to the letter, this was planned and not just cos I didnt feel great running all week, besides Thursday session;)|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|1|13.1||+1 squash +1 Circuit. Between my LSR last Sat and the half on Sunday I dnt get out for a jog as I didnt get a chance. May have contributed to my 2:16 time but I'm trying to take the positives. Will update my total mileage from the schedule start tomorrow as I dont have it on this PC|
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|4|20|40.5|Wk 2 of HH Novice 2 done, struggled a bit with the 9 mile lsr on Saturday, that said, played golf on Friday and then went out and had a fair few pints :eek:|
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|1|13.1||+1 squash +1 Circuit. Between my LSR last Sat and the half on Sunday I dnt get out for a jog as I didnt get a chance. May have contributed to my 2:16 time but I'm trying to take the positives. Will update my total mileage from the schedule start tomorrow as I dont have it on this PC|
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    RallyRunner|4|15|15|Good to get started with week 1|

Added myself to the table, hope that's ok, and it works (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    michellemuncher|2|10|26miles (2 weeks) |I did a pb in the 10k race in Dunshaughlin but not happy, could have done better. This week is my 3rd week of the Hal Higdon Novice 2 schedule. But is not a step back week for me. Cycled 45 miles.|
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    michellemuncher|2|10|26miles (2 weeks) |I did a pb in the 10k race in Dunshaughlin but not happy, could have done better. This week is my 3rd week of the Hal Higdon Novice 2 schedule. But is not a step back week for me. Cycled 45 miles.|
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|1|13.1|30|+1 squash +1 Circuit. Between my LSR last Sat and the half on Sunday I dnt get out for a jog as I didnt get a chance. May have contributed to my 2:16 time but I'm trying to take the positives. Will update my total mileage from the schedule start tomorrow as I dont have it on this PC|
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

30 miles covered since I started this regime.

Forgot the discussion topic in my previous post which was inspirational quotes
    You never fail unless you give up

very apt for running too I think.
    No matter how hard it is keep going and you'll cross that finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|1|13.1|30|+1 squash +1 Circuit. Between my LSR last Sat and the half on Sunday I dnt get out for a jog as I didnt get a chance. May have contributed to my 2:16 time but I'm trying to take the positives. Will update my total mileage from the schedule start tomorrow as I dont have it on this PC|
    D Chief|4|13|13|Week 1 of HH Novie 1 program. Did a 5K race instead of the 6m LSR on Sunday. Not really the plan, but it was a local race and I wanted to do it.|
    curraghyid|||||
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

D Chief - how did the 5k go? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|4|13|13|Week 1 of HH Novie 1 program. Did a 5K race instead of the 6m LSR on Sunday. Not really the plan, but it was a local race and I wanted to do it.|
    curraghyid|4|16|33|good week all runs went well lsr 7 miles 1.01
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wannabee runner

hi all
    I know its late but i was wondering if you have room for one more little one?
    Hope so because this thead looks really helpful.

Have you raced before?
    Done a few 10ks etc april 2010 great ireland run 56.25
    Half marathon in enniscorthy 27/06/10 2 hours 15mins
    -Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    yes unfortunately!!
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    run about 3 times a week, play tennis and swim once a week
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    doing a marathon is my dream. dream finish 3.59 realistic 4.40!
    How many days a week can you train?
    4 days maybe more
    Why are you running this marathon?
    because I think the sense of achievement would be incredible and it would be proof that i can conquer my inherent laziness. it would be a dream come true if i crossed the finish line.

I know that it's week 2 of the plan but since i did the half on sunday i thought i might be fit enough to join in now??

Welcome :) If you've managed the half ok, you should be ok to hop in with the plan. The long run this week is just 7 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wannabee runner

brilliant thanks so much!wow cant believe ive signed up for this.very excited!thanks better go for that run now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|3|10.1|25.6|Wheels came off a bit last week. Did my three midweek runs without a hitch. Couldn't do LSR due to sudden family illness. Haven't run since. Might resume sunday where I left off last week and call this my contingency week - we'll see|
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    curraghyid|4|16|33|good week all runs went well lsr 7 miles 1.01
    la calera|||||
    Figmurphy|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

D Chief - how did the 5k go? :)

5k was good. I finished it in 25min 30sec. I was happy enough with that. It was my first ever 5k race, so is an automatic PB. It was a hard enough course with 3 short but fairly steep hills in the last 1-2k. Lovely warm day and I really enjoyed the race experience.

I don't plan to do any other races before DCM except the Dublin Series 10 mile and half marathon (I will be away for the 5 mile).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Did anybody else find it tough today? I did my 6 mile pace run at 8.48/mile and really struggled.....I'm not sure if it was the poor prep for Saturday's LSR (although did an easy 3 miles on Tuesday at 8.45/mile and was fine) or the hay fever or England going out of the World Cup :eek:.....

Advertisement