Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

So - just did my last 2 miles before the big one on Monday. Coincidentally this brought me over the 600 mile mark for the year which is a nice round number to have under my belt lining up on Monday.

Don't know what I'll do next, Inaugural Kildare marathon next May looks appealing (ran the half there this year and it was spot on but that means I can't do the Kildare half again, which I'd really like to do...) - anyway I'll take a good few weeks off and think about it...

I just wanted to say the best of luck to everyone on Monday - RK I know you've had a rough time of it recently but you've done trojan work keeping us all in line here this last few months so hats off for that!

I never did make it into the Park for the group runs, just too far for me I'm afraid - maybe next year (although reading some of the more eccentric comments on here over the last few days I might just steer clear :D taper madness indeed!!)

So, best of luck, hope everyone has a great day and enjoys it fully - there'll only ever be one first marathon so have a great one!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Hi All

Best of luck to all of you on Monday. I hope you all achieve your goal times and enjoy the day. I came down with the man flu on wed night after my 4 miler and have been doping up on lemsip, vitamin C and what not since.

Feeling a bit better today and hope to get out for a short run tomorrow. I won't see you at the expo tomorrow (not arriving until Sunday). I hope to see you all at McGrattans after the race to chat about the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Best of luck everyone on Monday, and remember

Pain is only weakness leaving your body

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Right folks, good hunting to all on Monday and hope all has an enjoyable day. And don't forgot the pub afterwards.

Remember, use the vaseline like tis going out of fashion and that pain is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Monday to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Remember, use the vaseline like tis going out of fashion and that pain is your friend.

That for the race or the pub?

Emil Zatopek, Czech runner; winner of four Olympic gold medals:

"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."

Bill Wenmark, running coach

"You should run your first marathon for the right reasons, because you'll never be the same person again. You must want to do it, not do it because your boss did it or your spouse did it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »

That's what an ex-girlfriend said to me in her dungeon :eek:

digger2d2 wrote: »

Bet you were walking like a crab with arthritis after that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of Luck to everyone on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger2d2 wrote: »
    mrslow wrote: »
    Bet you were walking like a crab with arthritis after that:eek:

Was better than catching them......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

mrslow wrote: »
    Bill Wenmark, running coach

"You should run your first marathon for the right reasons, because you'll never be the same person again. You must want to do it, not do it because your boss did it or your spouse did it."

marrona's mother

"Dont run a marathon. I know a man that did one and his knees were never the same again"

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Check these other weekend (mutli) marathoners out...

http://www.vo2.fr/templiers/news-templiers.php4

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Morning Schedule (with help of Rainbow Kirby)

6.30am get up and eat
    Food intake: porridge or cereals with dried fruit, bagel/toast, strong coffee (to lighten load!)
    Water intake: 1.5-2.0 litres before 7am
    7.30am make way to city
    8.15am baggage drop*/portaloo
    *Go into Penneys or Dunnes this weekend and grab a cheap hat (€2) and gloves (€1 for 2 pairs) + sweater (€5) and ditch once warmed up (Mon is frosty)
    8.30am lite warm up and make way to zone
    8.45am sip energy drink(better isotonic) + energy bar
    Carrying 4 gel packs and 10 powershot jellies

9.00am...follow 3.45 pacer all the way to McGrathans!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I get a nice fleecy jumper in penneys every year for a fiver that I dump at the start line. Picked another up today(just in case I do run). Works a treat, was quite warm out there last year actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UvxxYIv3U

Mr Slow...I think this is going to be how you finish lol...I am going to have to drag you across the line lol

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

Perkina3 wrote: »

Mr Slow...I think this is going to be how you finish lol...I am going to have to drag you across the line lol

Not funny dude

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Perkina3 wrote: »

Don't be mean :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Don't mind him mr slow ,with all the times you knocked him back , the bitterness was bound to show !

Look sorry lads...I was only joking with him...take it all in good nature :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

So can we set up another thread for barca / spring marathons once Dublin is over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

jaytobe wrote: »
    Morning Schedule (with help of Rainbow Kirby)

6.30am get up and eat
    Food intake: porridge or cereals with dried fruit, bagel/toast, strong coffee (to lighten load!)
    Water intake: 1.5-2.0 litres before 7am
    7.30am make way to city
    8.15am baggage drop*/portaloo
    *Go into Penneys or Dunnes this weekend and grab a cheap hat (€2) and gloves (€1 for 2 pairs) + sweater (€5) and ditch once warmed up (Mon is frosty)
    8.30am lite warm up and make way to zone
    8.45am sip energy drink(better isotonic) + energy bar
    Carrying 4 gel packs and 10 powershot jellies

9.00am...follow 3.45 pacer all the way to McGrathans!!

If you drink 1.5-2.0 Litres of water before 7 on monday morning lads will be feeding the trees in the park and gals will have to do a paula ratcliffe.

Hydrate likes this the day before,and on the morning before a glass of water is about as much as you will need. Do not take any drink between 7am and first water station.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Tick Tock Tick Tock.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ger664 wrote: »
    If you drink 1.5-2.0 Litres of water before 7 on monday morning lads will be feeding the trees in the park and gals will have to do a paula ratcliffe.

Hydrate likes this the day before,and on the morning before a glass of water is about as much as you will need. Do not take any drink between 7am and first water station.

Well I wouldn't say don't drink ANYTHING, sip some water/lucozade but you'll probably be too nervous/distracted to drink much. I never understand those massive queues outside the portaloos, I never need to go before races like that...or during them. It's most likely in your head if you do need to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I would have a small drink at 6am and a few sips from 10 minutes before the race. In the Connemara half i made the terrible mistake of drinking coffee half an hour before the race. It was a really hot day and from the outset I was bursting for the loo as well as desperately needing a drink:o

Ya I always need to hit the portaloo before the race....tis kinda a habit now....

I know I will have to go if I don't so I don't take the risk!!! Am goin to be doing some huge eating today....Got my marathon mix set up on my ipod so I am ready to go!! :)

Well I wouldn't say don't drink ANYTHING, sip some water/lucozade but you'll probably be too nervous/distracted to drink much. I never understand those massive queues outside the portaloos, I never need to go before races like that...or during them. It's most likely in your head if you do need to go.

I was in the next queue to you before the half ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I am thinking about taking a Hi-Tech keep warm device, aka a bin liner plsus the black will match my kit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck everyone. Cool heads at the start, relax and smile and have a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Best of luck everyone for Monday.
    Hope to see some of ye in the boozer afterwards.
    Must remember to bring a straw so when I'm lying flat on my back in the middle of the floor I can still drink.

Advertisement