Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Ya I always need to hit the portaloo before the race....tis kinda a habit now....

I know I will have to go if I don't so I don't take the risk!!! Am goin to be doing some huge eating today....Got my marathon mix set up on my ipod so I am ready to go!! :)

Haha, I'm only working away on mine now.

I always have to drop the kids off at the pool before the race, less weight to carry around.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__Robinhood__

Hi Lads,
    anyone know of a physio thats open nears ballsbrigde 2moro? greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I always have to drop the kids off at the pool before the race

First time I've heard that one :D

Good luck to everyone on Monday, I expect you all in McGrattans to tell us what a great race you've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Does anyone know if there is live tracking available for DCM by race number or name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi Lads,
    anyone know of a physio thats open nears ballsbrigde 2moro? greatly appreciated!

There are physios at the Expo in the RDS. They should be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

nachoqueen wrote: »
    So can we set up another thread for barca / spring marathons once Dublin is over

Yep....Suggested title "Mucho Nachos Marato de Barcelona 2011" ;)

littlebug wrote: »
    I would have a small drink at 6am and a few sips from 10 minutes before the race. In the Connemara half i made the terrible mistake of drinking coffee half an hour before the race. It was a really hot day and from the outset I was bursting for the loo as well as desperately needing a drink:o

littlebug...Did you copy and paste this from one of JEmily's posts ;)

Does anyone know if there is live tracking available for DCM by race number or name?

I read something about this but think it was only available by tracking a mobile phone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

last year there was a link on the dcm website to the timing cmpany website (tds?) and you could track by name/ number as people passed over the mats though I think there might have been a bit of a delay.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    littlebug...Did you copy and paste this from one of JEmily's posts ;)

Oh I tell you I earned that pint ;) I did spill a bit going up the hill though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just a little reminder that it looks like we've got a cold one on our hands!

dJxBb.png

Wrap up warm for the startline! :eek:

I may not get online tomorrow at all so best of luck everyone. Sorry I haven't got round all the individual logs. Thanks for keeping me sane and entertained through all of this with all the talk of splitters and splitters splitters and nachos and baileys and gender ambiguity etc etc.
    Hopefully I'll meet some of you after.... if you hang around that long :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Best of luck everyone for the morning, it looks like its going to be a bright crisp morning :)

Thanks so much to you guys on the forum and a massive thanks to Rainbow Kirby, as a first time marathon runner and training on my own I found the advice and support on this forum invaluable.

Bring it on :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Hope you all have a great race and enjoy the day. BEST OF LUCK!! not that you'll need it as the training is done. See you all in McGrattans after :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fair play to you all for getting this far. The race is 80% done in the training, all thats left is to work through the hard miles, and get your reward at the end. Crossing that line is the best feeling in the world. Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Crossing that line is the best feeling in the world.
    About 25-26 hours from now you're all going to find out how true that is :D

Quick favour - if anyone from Firhouse, Knocklyon, Tallaght or Rathfarnham fancies splitting the cost of a taxi in the morning, gimme a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

'I cannot run again today,'
    Said little Betty Ann Bengay.
    'My quads are cramped.
    My nerves are shot.
    I think I might have purple snot.
    My arch is pulled.
    My glutes are sore.
    My back it doesn’t bend no more.
    My feet they have this awful smell.
    I have another black toenail.
    My elbow aches each time I pee.
    And what’s that grinding in my knee?
    I have a stress fracture. In my skull.
    My friends, they say, I’m full of bull.
    I think I may have pulled a lung.
    Eleven miles ain’t a REAL long run!
    My legs they are no longer speedy.
    My husband thinks I’m really needy.
    If I run more will I get faster?
    Will micro-tears just cause disaster?
    I think that I should carbo-load.
    Uh oh. No way. Where’s the commode?
    My glycogen is kinda spent.
    I know my shin, it needs a splint.
    My singlet smells like something funky.
    And don’t you think my butt looks chunky?
    My IT band no longer bends.
    When will this taper ever end?
    My hamstrings hurt and--what?
    What’s that you say?
    You say today is...marathon day?
    G'bye. I’m going out to run.'

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey,

Sorry I didn make it out yesterday to the expo..... ended up leaving early with my mates....

My number is 11069 and my name is Andrew....Give me a shout if you see my number and I hope to pop into McGrattans for a couple after...

Good luk everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Spotted a few of the regulars from this thread at the expo yesterday with their coach...

5110576464_ac736dd22b.jpg
    DSC_0004 by xebec running photos, on Flickr

Best of luck everyone tomorrow, hopefully it lives up to all your expectations and you realise the achievement you've done when you're finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Not sure if I'll have web access later, so I'm signing off now. Big thanks to RK and all of you. Apart from being a great support, this thread has been completely entertaining throughout.

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you enjoy it and come through it ok. :D

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. - John Quincy Adams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I'm bored today waiting and waiting...ha, but no it's the first time i've put my feet up in 4 months and read a good magazine;).

Well done everyone on what we've achieved already...good luck tomorrow, i'm really looking forward to it now. No nerves as such yet, but i presume they'll come tomorrow.

See you tomorrow morning folks.

Thanks RK and everyone else who's looked after and listened to me moaning...oh and Digger and MrSlow for topping up my brandy and baileys:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck guys. If it's your first ENJOY it. You only get to run your first marathon once. Hope it's everything you expect it to be and you all meet your goals. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Haven't been on in the last couple of weeks, picked up a calf injury last Monday week. Over the last two weeks have been to a physio, rested it, went for a run which lasted all of 200 yards before it brought me to a stop. Went to a 'dry needle' guy last Monday and more rest. Had basically written it off and sort of come to terms with the huge disappointment of that when I went to the gym yesterday for a light work out which I got through and suprised myself. Did a 3 mile run today and went ok, muscle still very tight but got through it. Went to the expo today and I'm going to give it a lash, more in hope than expectation, just delighted to be even making it to the start tbh.
    Anyway just want to wish everyone all the best tomorrow, I know all the hours and miles that have been put in to get to this stage and hope tomorrow lives up to all your expectations and hopes. It will be a day you will look back on with great memories for the rest of your lives, hope it goes well for everyone and everyone enjoys the day and the whole experience.

Take it easy Lad Gaga. I hope it goes well for you and we'll see you in McGrattans for a jar.

I was expecting this thread to be really busy this evening but I suppose Digger is polishing his new luminous vest, Jemily is licking the bottom of a bottle of brandy or furniture polish, whichevers closest to hand, RubyK is most likely trying to squeeze in one last 37 miler, Marrona's shopping and the rest of you must be out on the piss. I must be the only soul putting on his pasta, probably the last bowl of pasta I'll have til after Xmas. Dedicated to the cause am I.;)

I look forward to seeing ya'll tomorrow and know you'll all do fantastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Have really enjoyed reading the log, good luck to all tomorrow, I hope everyone can walk away happy with their result tomorrow afternoon, failing that I hope everyone can walk!
    Saw somewhere else that on average there are 41,000 steps a marathon, enjoy every last one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

mrslow wrote: »
    I must be the only soul putting on his pasta,

You're not alone buddy.

I've enjoyed being part of the Boards 2010 Marathon Novice Team, best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Have really enjoyed reading the log, good luck to all tomorrow, I hope everyone can walk away happy with their result tomorrow afternoon, failing that I hope everyone can walk!
    Saw somewhere else that on average there are 41,000 steps a marathon, enjoy every last one!!

Is that all? I'll be counting them now:(

• Advertisement

You're not alone buddy.

I've enjoyed being part of the Boards 2010 Marathon Novice Team, best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

Good man, how are the nerves?

Advertisement