Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    I must be the only soul putting on his pasta, probably the last bowl of pasta I'll have til after Xmas. Dedicated to the cause am I.;)
    You're not the only one, I just had a small mountain of lasagne. Tasty, but now I think I'm stuck in my chair :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck everyone. I have loved following this thread. Remember YOU CAN DO IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Fear is getting the better of my excitement, I know I'll be fine once I start running but 9am can't come fast enough

Anyone else feeling like a kid waiting for Santa? :pac:

Anyone else feeling like a kid waiting for Santa? :pac:

I couldn't have put it better, then again I never worried would santa torture me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Best of luck everyone,it's been a great ride so far and it's only going to get better. See y'all in Mc Grattons after we pop our marathon cherries..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

It's been a real pleasure being part of this group. Even though I did most of my runs alone, I felt like I wasn't doing them alone, if ye know what I mean. It was really nice to update the (low) mileage and read everyone else's logs. There has been lots of great advice and lots of funny, and at times, down right x-rated convos ;)

A big thanks to Rainbow for all the time and effort she put into this thread, even though you were having a very busy and eventful life. Best of luck to you tomorrow :)

And all the best to my fellow novices. This time tomorrow we will be marathoners :D Finish well and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Og the novices i only know of Mrslows time of - well doine on 4'20! Also big shout out to RK who, with the injury niggles shes had over the last few weeks nabbed 4'17 - WAYHAY! Well done to all. Im sure ye are enjoting a nice few pints right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done RK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Hey, I finished at 4hrs 06mins I think according to my Garmin - really hoping it was less as the family record is 4hrs 5 mins! It was tough, had done nothing at all since the Chicago Marathon 2 weeks ago. 2 Marathons down and both less that 4hrs 30 mins. Feels good. Currently sitting on the couch, too tired to go drinking, waiting on my pizza!

Well done to everyone! Has anyone any idea when the results will be online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey everyone!! :)

I did it in 4.05/4.06 so I did it in around the same time as you Mprop....

I know you are going to say I shouldn't be but I am a little disappointed....was hoping for a time about 3.45!!!

Hamstrings are in bad shape but apart from that I am not feeling too bad....Jus dead to the world atm!!! lol!!!!

Well done to everyone guys!!! Mr. Slow!! Congrats.... My legs especially smooth today lol!!!

I might hit mcGrattans for a while later if ppl are still there...we will see lol....... atm jus waiting for my big dirty QP and chip's to arrive courtesy of my mother!!! Delira!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done to everyone.
    3:43 for me, was on target for a better time but absolutely blew up over the last 3 miles. Had to walk some of it and found myself on the flat of my back at one stage with a spectator stretching out a bas cramp in my hamstring.
    Overall I have to be delighted with the time just those last few miles willreappear in nightmares for a while to come.
    Will post a full report in my log in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Well done to everyone.
    3:43 for me, was on target for a better time but absolutely blew up over the last 3 miles. Had to walk some of it and found myself on the flat of my back at one stage with a spectator stretching out a bas cramp in my hamstring.
    Overall I have to be delighted with the time just those last few miles willreappear in nightmares for a while to come.

were you lying on pearse/grand canal street street near the canal by any chnace? Saw a guy getting help with cramps from a spectator there.

well, 4.08 for me. Pleased enough although disappointed not to get the sub-4. Was with 4 hour pacers until about mile 20/21 but just didn't have it for the last few miles.

Met Raycun at the start and the Wexican after a while but lost both - hope they did ok.

If anybody here knows me fee free to beat me over the head if I ever mention doing a marathon again!

Need to make a bit of a clarification here. Looks like I made a far bigger horlicks of timing myself than I thought I did - my chip time is actually 4:27.00 (which is actually slower than last year), and is nowhere near the 4:17 I thought it would be. Bit of a kick in the pants after thinking I had a PB all afternoon, but meh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Finished it in 4hr 28 with a smile on my face. Really really enjoyed every minute of it. I started with GAGA and Rainbow but they both disappeared quite quickly. The crowds were absolutely fantastic and the weather,well what can you say,it was absolutely gorgeous.

My mate Peter ran every step with me and was a godsend. When one of us was weak the other dragged him along and just knowing you weren't on your own helped enormously.

We went to McGrattans afterwards but it was manic and there were no seats and we really needed to sit. If the rest of you enjoyed yourselves half as much as I did you will have had a truly memorable day. I really hope you all did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

You should be proud of yourself. 3.43 is an excellent time.
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Well done to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Finished in 4:18:27. I was aiming for 4:15 but made the mistake of going off too quickly. I just could not help myself. I knew I was too quick and tried to slow down but somehow I could not do it. It was 5 mile mark when 4hr group past me and I nearly caught up with them again down towards Chapelizod Gate. I knew at halfway I would struggle but I am happy that I battled on and kept it going, albeit at slower pace, to the finish.

Thighs are sore, my little toe is bruised and my right knee is in a bad way but
    it's done and I'm happy enough. It was way tougher than I would have imagined before I started training for it. A mighty experience all round. One I would encourage anyone to have a go at.

Thanks to RK and everyone else here for the advice, support and entertainment. Now I'm going to have a celebratory ball o' malt and then off to bed for a much needed rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi all. Finished it! Time was 4:44. Was flying until the 16 mile mark. In hindsight I went out too fast. Had to walk / run until the top of Fosters Avenue. Managed to get going again from there on and bar a stop for necessities, kept going to the finish line. The day was fantastic. The crowds were brilliant and while I am tired now, the body is in good shape. The result is one thing and something that I'll never forget or no one can take away. But the journey of getting to the start line was also fantastic. As I sit here now a little over 5 months since I started this adventure I have done 5, 10 miles and a half. And now I'm a fully fledged marathon man. Thanks to everyone on here, especially RK and Raycun. Couldn't have done it without you lads. Now I'll go back to more manageable distances! One and done on the marathon front. A great experience!

boccy23 wrote: »
    One and done on the marathon front.
    Famous last words :pac:

Congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done to all regardless of time done, good to meet some of ye for a pint afterwards and hope that ye enjoyed today whatever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Hi All,just checking in,finished the marathon in 4:26:30. Very happy with that for first marathon. Thanks RK for all the advise and congrats on a good time especially since running it was in the balance 2 weeks ago.

The crowds were fantastic and straight after it I said never again. Was chatting to no other than Eamon Coughlan after it who convinced me within 30 seconds to do another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

chinguetti, i think you were in the picture rte news were using for their background picture for the marathon?

enjoy this video, "the day after the marathon": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

mrslow wrote: »
    Marrona's shopping
    lol. I despise shopping and avoid it at all costs. you just caught me at a bad time!

Congrats to everyone, I finished in 4:15:20 and am thrilled. Great to see those of you who made it to the pub afterwards, would like to keep linking up with you guys for runs in the park through the winter. Big thanks to Nachoqueen who over shouted the crowds in Rathgar to make sure I heard her and it was great to meet ilovetorun, I was catching back up with you when i spotted deep heat on offer and couldn't catch you after that.

nice one brophya meeting Eamonn Coughlan. I thought I saw John Treacy on Fosters Avenue telling me to keep going. Not sure if I was hallucinating or it was the great man

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Reporting from a very painful place this morning: JEmily came in at Chip Time: 4.12.

There was a bit of confusion at the start of my race, we lost my sisters running buddy. Had to walk from sub 4 pacers to literally the last person at the back of the whole race to find him. Found him eventually but meant we had alot of traffic to pass to get going as we were in with walkers? too. Don't ask...

Really enjoyed it, yeah would have like my sub 4, but in heinsight i had great craic with the crowd, relaxed and enjoyed every second. Whomever told us to put our names on tops, it was best idea ever.

Well done RubyK and MrSlow, met them afterwards in the pub. Delighted for them too and all of Boardsies, how well did we prepare and train...we kicked ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Well done everyone on your preformances yday, fair play to all of you!

For some reason Im not listed on the official results, must have been some issue with my chip...have contacted marathon office but wondering if theres anything I can do as want official confirmation that I did it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

4:11 for me, absolutely thrilled and delighted! Will post a report on my log, once I get my thoughts together. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Hey all, came in at 3:45:54 and im absoloutly delighted. That video marrona posted is spot on - cant stop laughing at it. Its funny because its true. :D

Advertisement