Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seamusm99

After being advised not to do it.... I did it in 4.21 - I really enjoyed it big time apart from 17-20that was really tough, but got going again. I really enjoyed the last 6 miles as I knew I was nearly there. Really delighted with myself and no injuries to report apart from a blister on my right foot!!! Did no training over the last 4 weeks, as I had a cold and never ran further than 15 miles before, so it's a big achievement. It can be done. Roll on next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

marrona wrote: »
    chinguetti, i think you were in the picture rte news were using for their background picture for the marathon?

Marrona, any chance you'ld have a link before i check RTE? I'ld like to get a hold of that if it is me. Much thanks.

Edit: Had a look and not me but did see a couple of boards vests in the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done to all of you !! I had a disaster of a race :(...Somehow my sub 4 became a sub 3:45 over the last few days and a sub 3:40 on the day...All was good running 8:20 miles until I hit mile 16 when i first started to get calf cramp....I ended up getting spasms and full on cramps in both calfs, quads, hamstrings, groin and even the muscles on my hips :eek: As close as I was to seeking a dark corner to hide in, I kept going for what was without doubt the hardest thing I've ever done hobbling through those last 10 miles....I must of stopped to stretch out the cramps between 20 and 30 times....It got to the stage where I'd be stretching out cramp in my calf and I'd get hit with one in my groin....Had to keep reminding myself to stop shouting "Fup....Fup...Fup" as there were loads of kids spectating....

Was of the opinion yesterday and this morning never ever again but am now feeling I've got some unfinished business.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done to all of you !! I had a disaster of a race :(...Somehow my sub 4 became a sub 3:45 over the last few days and a sub 3:40 on the day...All was good running 8:20 miles until I hit mile 16 when i first started to get calf cramp....I ended up getting spasms and full on cramps in both calfs, quads, hamstrings, groin and even the muscles on my hips :eek: As close as I was to seeking a dark corner to hide in, I kept going for what was without doubt the hardest thing I've ever done hobbling through those last 10 miles....I must of stopped to stretch out the cramps between 20 and 30 times....It got to the stage where I'd be stretching out cramp in my calf and I'd get hit with one in my groin....Had to keep reminding myself to stop shouting "Fup....Fup...Fup" as there were loads of kids spectating....

Was of the opinion yesterday and this morning never ever again but am now feeling I've got some unfinished business.....:pac:

I'm so sorry to hear that, it is awful watching people pull up due to injury and cramp. All the months of preparation. And your training was fantastic, all those great times you put in.
    You will definitely be back, no doubt about it.
    Anyways, we need you around here to keep the entertainment going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

What time did you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

keanooo wrote: »
    What time did you do?

2:12 for the first 16 and 2:21 for the last 10 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Wow! What an adventure that was. The whole experience was excellent. Great atmosphere, amazing crowds & volunteers.

So, how did I do? Well, after keeping on target for 4 hour finish up to mile 20, the wheels came off. Didn't really hit the wall, just ran out of steam. So after covering first 30K with even enough splits of 1 hour, the last section took 1:31, leaving me with a finish time of 4.36.

Absolutely delighted to be honest as the hardship didn't really start until mile 20 and at no stage did it cross my mind to give up. I just plugged on running/walking to the finish line.

Definitely one of the hardest things I've done but am delighted to have beaten it. Now we are all in an elite group of marathon runners.

Well done everyone!:D:D:D

Thanks to all here, esp RK & Raycun whose advice & guidance over the months of training made it all possible.

Thanks to my family for putting up with my training. Special thanks to my wonderful wife who appeared at finish with daughters Roisin & our 3 week old Grace.:D:)

So next year its a sub 4 veterans thread? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The race video seems to up and running.

Hope the link is right, just search by number and off you go.

http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?login=&password=&is_domenica=-1&nextRaceId=&dpbib=&dpcat=&dpsex=&id=3003&pageType=1&servizio=000&locale=2057

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear that Digger, next year for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I am very happy. I did it in 4.14 and was really not expecting to do so well. The day was beautiful and I had lots of family and friends supporting me. I wont forget it but I still can't believe that was me out there. It all feels kinda surreal.

Well done to everyone. Ye all finished brilliant, esp those who had to battle through pain.The last mile was the toughest for me, I could barely breathe but otherwise had a great race and enjoyed it. Pity I missed some of ye in McGrattans. Hey to the Wexican, I didn't know it was you sitting with your wife when I was there.

So now, back to bed to watch The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and then out to the cold sea to repair my leg muscles for my next race. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

digger i think well done to you for finishing , you dug into unknown depths im sure to keep going, that will stand to you. i think this will just give you more hunger to nail it next time, and there will be a next time.

you did a great time in the half, for what its worth i did my first marathon in 430 and the last one in 3.41 , was just in a a much more experienced place.

even though my back is banjaxed i feel i have loads more runs in me, and so do you !

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

2:12 for the first 16 and 2:21 for the last 10 :mad:

You'll be back...for sure;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

What a day that was. Travelled to the race more in hope than expectation, was just a bonus to get to the start and honestly didn't expect to see it out. Headed in with Yournotthebossofme and met RK at the start. The crowd was brilliant all along and I was really taken by the number of 'senior citizens' taking part. I know the papers today are full of the 100 marathon marvel, but there were a lot around-the guy I met at the start was 73 and running his 40th marathon!
    I was delighted to be still running after 15 miles and going ok, but then my calf problems resurfaced and I literally hobbled through the last 11 miles. Was a massive struggle but delighted I saw it out. Finished in 4.36 which, everything considered, was a real result. Its been a great journey, helped in no small way by all the contributors on this thread. Although I'm absolutely shattered today I would hope after taking a break for a couple of months and getting my calf and knee sorted out that I'll get back and do some small runs and maybe go again next year. I'd love to go there next year without any injury concerns.
    Congratulations to everyone who 'survived' yesterday, some of the times were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    What a day that was. Travelled to the race more in hope than expectation, was just a bonus to get to the start and honestly didn't expect to see it out. Headed in with Yournotthebossofme and met RK at the start. The crowd was brilliant all along and I was really taken by the number of 'senior citizens' taking part. I know the papers today are full of the 100 marathon marvel, but there were a lot around-the guy I met at the start was 73 and running his 40th marathon!
    I was delighted to be still running after 15 miles and going ok, but then my calf problems resurfaced and I literally hobbled through the last 11 miles. Was a massive struggle but delighted I saw it out. Finished in 4.36 which, everything considered, was a real result. Its been a great journey, helped in no small way by all the contributors on this thread. Although I'm absolutely shattered today I would hope after taking a break for a couple of months and getting my calf and knee sorted out that I'll get back and do some small runs and maybe go again next year. I'd love to go there next year without any injury concerns.
    Congratulations to everyone who 'survived' yesterday, some of the times were fantastic.

Ahem, well done you, fantastic time considering. Only heard of your calf injury this week, how unfortunate, so well done on completing. Imagine how well you'll do next year without an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just want to say a massive congratulations to everyone, you've done a great job and you should all be so proud of yourselves!

(we won't talk about the next one until you've forgotten the pain! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Pain is temporary (hopefully), pride is for ever.

Just the one marafun entered so far for me next year, I was also being talked in to doing another one in June just for warm up for an Autumn marathon.

Just the one marafun entered so far for me next year, I was also being talked in to doing another one in June just for warm up for an Autumn marathon.
    Planning 2 here, Barcelona and an autumn one - most likely Dublin but I'm starting to contemplate Berlin. Time to start training for Barcelona when my legs start working again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

still have marathon on the brain! a friend called round this evening with belgian hot choc (cos I'm home from belgium, she thought she'd bring a belgian gift to me!?) and I checked the carb content - why?!! Law and Order Criminal Intent is on here. Someone said "MCS" and I looked up; it stands for Major Crime Squad apparently, not meathcountysec.

thoroughly enjoying all the race reports. I'm still exhausted at mo but have a lot of thoughts and observations to put down!

what a glorious day yesterday was. congrats to all.

rofno1 wrote: »
    Thanks to my family for putting up with my training. Special thanks to my wonderful wife who appeared at finish with daughters Roisin & our 3 week old Grace.:D:)

So little Pheidippides is actually called Grace :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey... so how do you watch the films...??? Yeah also I am the same...I have some seriously unfinished business to deal with regarding the DCM... not sure if next year is realistic cuz I have professional exams...

but London and dublin 2012 anyone?? :)

Perkina3 wrote: »
    but London and dublin 2012 anyone?? :)
    Olympics? nah mate. too ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Great to read everybody's reports here. Well done all. I think we all deserve a pat on the back if only it didn't hurt soo much.

As for my race, got around in 3:56:32 so absolutely thrilled with that. Positioned myself in the middle of the Green Zone, and met Xebec before the start. Was positioned just yards behind the 4:00 pacers. Around O'Connell St met Grimbergen and ran with him to the Park. Entering the Park I thoought the pacers were developing a bit of gap so for the next two miles upped my pace and got in the middle of them. Coming out of Chapelizod Gate I went on ahead of them primarily as my wife was on the bridge with a supply of gels. Thought after picking these up I would setle back in with the group. But with the effort to catch and pass the pacers was running a 8.30 to 8.45 pace relatively comfortable, and kept it up, and that was the last I saw of the pacers. The next 10-12 miles were pretty uneventful, but I knew at some stage the pain would come. Once I got to 20 miles, I was confident that once I could keep running the sub four was on, however from mile 21 it took a lot of talking to myself to keep on running, as I was thinking if only I walk for a bit what harm. Thank god I didn't as when I stopped at the finish the legs froze immediately. It was those final 5 miles my pace dropped below the 9 min mile for the first time since miles 1-3, but pace didn't really matter it was just about keeping moving, and the crowds from the canal was amazing, you couldn't help but be inspired. When I got to the line I was just so happy to finish but it was after collecting my bag it really hit me, and I felt a wee bit emotional.

Sorry to miss a lot of ye in McGrattans, as by the I time a got there only the hardcore were left.

Highlights of the day

1. Finishing
    2. The support, couldn't believe the crowds who turned out
    3. My mother being there to be able see two of her sons finish their first marathons (now to convince the other two for next year)

Would also say if it wasn't for the group runs in the park on Saturday mornings, I doubt I would be writing this now. The companionship, tips and advice on those runs were invaluable, and I hope we can get out the odd morning over the winter months, to get us ready for next year's marathon attempts.

Roll on 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

First marathon for me too and I came in with 3:39.
    Kept comfortably with the 3:30 pacers until mile 17 when they gradually started to get away from me. Was probably a little bit too ambitious for my first time but I didn't want to sell myself short.
    Still delighted with my finish time though. Immediately afterwards I was swearing never again, but time is a great healer and I think I will do at least 2 marathons next year since I had already signed up for Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Congratulations to everyone who got around yesterday. It was a phenomenal experience.

I finished in 3 hours 48. 15 weeks ago, the furthest I had run was 6 miles so my original target was just to get around. As I got stuck into the training and took in all the advice here, I started dreaming of a sub 4 hour run and over the last month I thought I may just be able to go sub 3:45.

I started about 100 meters behind the 3:45 pacers with the idea of making my mind up on what pace to go with within 3 miles. After 500m I needed a toilet break (along with a line of about 20 people!) but after this I settled into a steady pace (around 8:15 per mile according to my Garmin). Without any effort I caught the 3:45 pacers in chapelizod. I decided to run with them rather than by them (which I was glad of later on) It was a fantastic experience running with them and every time I heard a "c'mon 3:45s" from the crowd, I got a lift. I came across a friend of mine at about 17 miles and we had a chat as we ran. He was really struggling and without realising it, fell 50 yards behind the 1 remaining balloon. I said goodbye to my friend pretty sure I would be back with the pacers by 18 miles. I felt I was upping the pace, but the balloon just would not come closer to me! I kept it in sight until just before Fosters Avenue but that was the last I saw of it. Mentally, it nearly broke me to lose contact. My next 4 miles were torture and I can honestly say I considered stopping a few times.

The support from the crowd over the last couple of miles gave me such a lift and I ran them at 8:30 pace again. I felt like a real athlete with the support that was given.

I now know that I can get well under the 3:45 once I get the miles into my legs. My only real regret is that I didn't get to any of the Phoenix Park training runs. I'm definitely going to keep going at this running lark so if anyone can suggest a spring (mentored) marathon I'm in and I'll make it my business to make it into Dublin for the runs.

Thanks to Rainbow Kirby and everyone else for the advice and entertainment here over the last few months.

milosh wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to keep going at this running lark so if anyone can suggest a spring (mentored) marathon I'm in and I'll make it my business to make it into Dublin for the runs.
    Don't think there's going to be mentoring for it, but there are a *lot* of boardsies running Barcelona on 6 March.

It's at this time of the year that marathon recovery, not marathon training, takes center stage. The best recovery is one that optimizes your musculoskeletal recovery yet also maintains your conditioning. You've built superior fitness before the marathon and you don't want to lose all of it and then have to start from scratch.

Research indicates that the muscle damage from running a marathon can last up to two weeks. The research also indicates that soreness (or the lack thereof) is not a good indicator of muscular healing. In other words, just because you aren't sore anymore doesn't mean that you are fully healed. This is the danger for marathon runners: Post-marathon muscular soreness fades after a few days but submicroscopic damage within the muscle cells remains. If you return to full training too soon--running more and faster than the tissues are ready for--you risk delaying full recovery and the chance to get ready for your next goal.

The solution, it appears, is to recognize (and accept) that the muscles will take a while to heal and to be prepared to take it easy for the first couple of weeks (even longer if you're particularly sore after your marathon). While the research isn't very promising when it comes to things to do to relieve soreness and aid healing, a couple of concepts appear to help. First, providing gentle blood flow to the area helps bring healing nutrients into the muscles and also helps to remove waste products and damaged tissue. Walking and gentle massage can help, particularly in the first few days after a marathon. Once muscle soreness has significantly reduced (usually two to four days after the race), light jogging can commence. The recovery program below forces a runner to let muscles fully heal but also provides some light jogging to aid blood flow and "feed the need" that we all have for our daily runs. Just be mindful to run very slowly.

No runner wants to get super fit and then lose that during the recovery process. But since you must reduce your training load following your marathon, it can be tricky as to how much and how soon to insert running into your post-marathon training.

The bad news is that no matter what you do, you will lose race sharpness. But that's OK because your next big race is probably several months away. The good news is that most research indicates that as long as there is an aerobic stimulus once every two to three days, aerobic fitness will be maintained. In this recovery plan, you run at least once every other day (except for the first two days after the marathon) to minimize any loss of base fitness.

Many runners liken recovery training to a "reverse taper" without the fast workouts. Easy running is gradually increased over the weeks post-race. By the fourth week, your normal level of training is approached.

Recovery time is also the best chance to pay back your support system for the help provided during your build-up to and participation in the marathon. Use this time to help others with goals, whether running-related or not, and spend more time with family and friends.

Also use this opportunity to celebrate your success and recharge your systems. Determine what went right in training and in the race and what you would fix. If done correctly, you can come out of this period fully healed and ready to take your marathon fitness into the next training phase.

Optimal Marathon Recovery Program

Day: 0
    Run: MARATHON
    Notes: Congratulations!

Day: 1
    Run: OFF
    Notes: Can include gentle walking for 15 to 20 minutes. Eat well and stay hydrated to facilitate recovery. Ice baths are favored by many runners.

Day: 2
    Notes: Can include gentle walking for 15 to 20 minutes.

Day: 3
    Run: 20 Mins Very Slow + Easy
    Notes: The first run back is often very awkward so go slow and run on flat terrain.

Day: 4
    Notes: Don't forget to enjoy the accomplishment of your marathon.

Day: 5
    Run: 20 Mins Very Slow + Easy
    Notes: Muscle soreness should be subsiding

Day 6:OFF

Day: 7
    Run: 30 Mins Very Slow + Easy
    Notes: You may not feel like a runner but you are laying the groundwork for your next training cycle.

Day: 8
    Run: 20 Mins Very Slow and Easy
    Notes: The first back to back running day provides insight into how the recovery is going.

Day 9

Day: 10
    Run: 30 Mins Easy
    Notes: The muscle soreness should be gone and you are finding your stride again.

Day: 11
    Run: 30 to 45 Mins Easy
    Notes: Depending on how your body feels, you should notice the pace increasing and your body returning to its running rhythm.

Day: 12

Day: 13
    Run: 45 to 60 Mins Easy

Day: 14
    Run: 30 to 45 Mins Easy
    Easy: You should now start to feel like a runner again, just not a runner ready to race. Over the next two weeks, gradually increase your volume toward your normal training level.

This plan is a good start for marathoners. Adjust it based on your previous experience with marathon recovery as well as how you are feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

@ the wexican. Well done! I lost you in the crowds in the park but you were clearly upping it at that stage. I remember during one of the lsr's a few weeks back you were saying that you couldn't imagine maintaining a 9.30 pace - just goes to show what's possible on the big day.

Well done again.

Anyone else feeling like a kid waiting for Santa? :pac:

the last few weeks of the training reminded* me a bit of the end of a pregnancy. I actually had forgotten I had thought this til I was reminded by a few people in the last mile who said "c'mon just one final push" which made me smile. all the nervous excitement and anxiety wondering if things will go okay, nightmares about worst case scenarios, not being able to talk/think about anything else, doubting if you're ready, scouring the net for YET MORE info and at the very end being driven mad with the waiting and just willing the day to arrive. taking on advice from people who've been there before but ignoring it and doing it your own way anyway.prolonged hours of pain during which you swear: "NEVER again, this is my last". but then you reach the end: a lot of photos where you look a little bit "natural" - no makeup, sweaty and flushed but ecstatically happy and healthy - "glowing" you could say. and you're so happy and proud that you forget the pain of the whole process and and have already even begun to consider...another?

bit of a crisis pregnancy for me in that I'm only young and had many plans for my life which included 'never running a marathon'. but I got in with a wrong crowd and a few wrong turns and peer pressure and I found myself in this awkward situation! Boards proved to be a positive option for me.......gah I can't keep this metaphor up any more! all joking aside, this thread was great support and doubt I would have kept up the training without it. Like michellemuncher said, I did most of my training alone but never felt like I was on my own. thanks to all and hope you go on to have huge marathon families! the achievement was not the day itself but sticking to all the training. the hard work was done before we got there. and thanks to emer911 for letting me know where to find you loony toons :p

(*please note: I have no children and in the words of most Adrian Kennedy Phone Show callers, probably "don't know nuthin bout nuthin")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

marrona wrote: »
    So little Pheidippides is actually called Grace :(

And a little girl!

Well lads & lasses, the buzz still hasn't worn off! Still amazed at what we have all achieved, especially those who were injured. Some amazing stories that show that mental strength is even more important than phsyical strength.

Well done all!

Advertisement