Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

xebec wrote: »
    Get thee to the doctor. No point risking any further that there might be something seriously wrong, and if nothing else it'll give you peace of mind.

Go to the doctor Chinguetti, a course of anti inflammatories and some rest and you'll be brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

xebec wrote: »
    Great report marrona! You'll be giving earnyourturns/goofygirl a run for her money with the humourous reports sometime... And you sure don't do succint!

Was nice to meet you (very briefly) on Sat and Mon...

+1 Thanks marrona, just back from a long day at work, legs still aching but that race report has cheered me right up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So... now that you've all had a few days to decompress, let's talk. You've all done amazingly well, and I hope you're all basking in post-marathon afterglow (and not in *too* much pain!).

Recovery
    The most important thing is to listen to your body. Some people will be back doing some very easy running in the next few days, others might take a fortnight. Just see how you feel, and don't force the issue if you're not ready. I wouldn't suggest pushing the long runs too much in November, it does take a while to *completely* recover from a marathon and I really don't want to see any of you getting injured. If you have picked up an injury during DCM, I would advise you to go to the physio when you get a chance and get it checked out.

What's next?
    This will differ widely between people. Your fitness will have improved drastically over the last few months, so there are definitely some shorter-distance PBs there for the taking over the winter. A few options would be the Jingle Bells 5k on 4 December, the Aware 10k on 11 December, the Waterford Half-Marathon - also on 11 December, or the Fields of Athenry 10k on 26 December. Check the A/R/T events forum for others. Some of you may already be looking to the next marathon - there is a large Boards contingent heading to Barcelona in March, and there are usually good crowds for Edinburgh, Cork and other spring/early summer races. Good luck with whatever you choose to enter, and let the PBs tumble! :)

To finish... a few questions.

- What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?
    - What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    - What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?
    - Do you plan on doing another marathon? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Am I allowed to answer? Ah feck it, I've been involved enough...

That my knees definitely wouldn't cope and that I shouldn't even bother training - ok, maybe not!

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Get involved in a group training, particularly for the long runs. I was better prepared for this race than any other and that was mainly down to the fact that I got out of bed early on Saturday mornings and met you nutters for a few hours :pac:

Highs: first time out with the group, seeing over 20 people coming towards me and realising it was the Boards group. Reading all the the reports here seeing so many of you achieving your first marathon finish after treating it with the respect it deserves and committing to the training. Finishing my last 20 miler with three miles at almost half marathon pace.
    Low: another injury during a marathon, but that happens.

No commitment just yet, but probably :pac:

The only thing I would do differently is organise the LSR's in the park earlier in the programme, I think between the people here and Mr. Google I was fairly well informed by the time race day came around.(Not exactly an answer but there you go ;))

It's one of the greatest experiences of my life, but not to be undertaken lightly

Low points were the injuries on the LSR's, having to limp back to the car in the rain was a bummer and the not knowing before each physio session whether or not the training was over.

High point - being shouted support throughout Dublin and being part of a magnificently wholesome and positive experience.

- Do you plan on doing another marathon?

Without doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll just answer this one. If there is one thing I have learned in the last 18 months is that the marathon is not to be taken lightly.
    Base Building- Get training now, don't wait till June!! If you have a solid 6-8 months training behind you (15-20 miles a week or so) before starting an 18 week marathon programme it will stand to you an incredible amount once you hit mile 20 on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

That I should run the parts of the route that I didn't know well. I think knowing the whole route would definitely helps (probably more mentally than physically.

Start running asap and fully commit to a full 18-20 week training plan before the race. It will stand to you on the day.

Highs - The camaraderie of the pace group. The enthusiastic cheering crowds. The pure enjoyment of running through the city and suburbs knowing the roads were closed for me.
    Low - Not having the energy to celebrate as I crossed the finish line. I had absolutely nothing left.

Definitely. Can't come soon enough. I'm already signed up for Berlin and may do one before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

High points: Finishing on the big day, seeing my 2 daughters cheering for me and the lsr's in the park

Low points: realising I wasn't going to break 4 hours and that nagging feeling at mile 21/22/23 about whether to walk or run

Change for next year: Race the Athlone 3/4. LSR's are all well and good but no excuse for a longer run

Do one next year? Not 100% sure yet - have some targets for 10ks and half marathons to get through first. Getting harder and harder to find time for full.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Recovery
    Chocolate cake! Three tiers with frosting and choc mousse in between. Cover it all in velvety chocolate. Place truffles all around the top and fill in with double cream. Then throw a whole load of chocolate curls on top. Yum :)

What's next?
    Eating it

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?
    That I wouldn't lose weight if I didn't give up chocolate.

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Run Forest run

What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?
    Highs:
    Getting high from the natural endorphins of the long runs.
    Running the trails and experiencing the natural beauty of the Phoenix Park
    Meeting other runners and sharing experiences and opinions
    Running the marathon. I really enjoyed the day, it couldn't have gone better.

Lows:
    Not losing ANY weight
    Having ugly runners feet
    Not being able to cycle and climb and swim as much as I want.
    Having to get up early for the marathon!

Do you plan on doing another marathon?
    Of course and maybe an ultra one day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That I would become so caught up and obsessed with it.

Start training immediately. Get the miles built up in your legs now. And when you start your 16-18 week plan, don't worry so much if you have to miss a midweek run, but don't miss any LSR. They are essential.

Highs - the whole atmosphere from start to finish, it was amazing. The relief of crossing the line.

Low - injury + tapering madness, not a good combination.

Definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Think he's dropped off boards for now but am happy to report that 'corked' finished DCM on Monday in and about 4:19 so came in under his target of 4:20! A great result cause he had some hamstring problems along the way needing assistance from the medics.

Thought I'd post it for completeness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

littlebug wrote: »
    Brilliant report Marrona. You beat me :D even though you sat down. I can't believe you had a little sit down on a bench:D

What's next up for you?

I'm going to follow Hal's 5 week recovery plan. love the plans. NEED the plans. and it'll be a nice way to wean me off Hal cos I am gonna miss his daily advice. after that, I'll reconsider my running options in december. I was considering the connemarathon (18 weeks before=dec 4th) but I start a new job the next day so don't know if it'd be a wise idea :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

- What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM? Don't try run it too fast (I probably was told this though....)

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year? 100% do the groundwork and then run within yourself on the day!

- What were your high points and low points of the whole experience? The highs...Meeting up for the LSR's in the park and getting to the point where you realised that 8 miles was a 'short' run, also, the unbelieveabe support from the crowd on the day.....The lows....The sheer pain I had to endure

- Do you plan on doing another marathon? Amzingly....YES

digger2d2 wrote: »
    - What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM? Don't try run it too fast (I probably was told this though....)

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year? 100% do the groundwork and then run within yourself on the day!

- What were your high points and low points of the whole experience? The highs...Meeting up for the LSR's in the park and getting to the point where you realised that 8 miles was a 'short' run, also, the unbelieveabe support from the crowd on the day.....The lows....The sheer pain I had to endure

- Do you plan on doing another marathon? Amzingly....YES

Spelling Digger tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?
    That you will eat breath and sleep the marathon for months before the race & possibly drive the non-running people in your life crazy with your endless running stories!

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year? Follow a plan, do the LSRs and listen to the experts!

- What were your high points and low points of the whole experience? The highs... Meeting everyone in the park for the LSRs, Seeing people's faces when they heard that I was doing the marathon, crossing the finish line, watching the video footage of me throughout the race over and over and over again!!
    The lows....Getting up in the dark at 6am to get the runs in!

- Do you plan on doing another marathon? Without a shadow of doubt!

Some pics available now.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/home.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Can I ask if anyone wishes they had done more 20+ LSR's or is one sufficient? I still remain to be convinced that you can manage 6 extra miles on the day...love to hear your thoughts!

shazkea wrote: »
    Can I ask if anyone wishes they had done more 20+ LSR's or is one sufficient? I still remain to be convinced that you can manage 6 extra miles on the day...love to hear your thoughts!

I intend running 3 x 20/21 miles for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think the most imprtant thing is to practice really hard at going very slow at the start of the LSR's and speeding up for the last few miles at the end. I did this in most of my long LSR's and i feel it really helped my endurance in the end.

Shaz
    I did 2 20milers and I'd say next time I'd deffo do 3. The second one was a bit of a disaster so at least I had done one previous to that. If you just do 1 and it doesn't go to plan, you could end up a bit paniced.
    Also, towards the end of training, when the LSRs are scheduled, life happens, family happens and sometimes you end up trying to fit runs in. I would say to do 2 or 3 - purely for peace of mind alone.
    And do them S-L-O-W! ;)

• Advertisement

The training with one 20 miler will get you over the line, the support of the crowd works miracles and whether you realise it on the day or not, the fear of those six miles pumps adrenaline through your body. All this added to taper magic and you'll be fine. (Injuries aside)
    The additional tweaks like speeding up and adding longer runs make those last six miles more comfortable (at least that's my hope ;))

Another thing i've learned is that you won't magically get 90 sec per mile off your LSR even if you run all of your other runs at PMP, I will be training next time on the basis that I'll run 30/40 secs faster on the day and set the speed for my LSR's and target for the marathon accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice.

I offiically start Hal's plan for Barca next week but am slightly ahead of schedule to fit in Waterford so was wondering whether I should schedule a couple of 20+ runs in.

Oddly enough I have no problem slowing LSR's down at the start ;). Good suggestion on getting quicker towards the end and moving LSR pace closer to PMP for the quicker miles.

Cheers again!

I want to go for a run :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

You're not going to lose a whole pile of weight so don't worry about it.

Your legs are going to hurt, really hurt after about 18 miles running. No, I dont think you believe me, they are going to hurt like hell, more than you can imagine. You still dont believe me.

Your legs are going to hurt, really hurt after about 18 miles running. No, I dont think you believe me, they are going to hurt like hell, more than you can imagine. You still dont believe me.

So many high points. I loved getting up early on sunday mornings for long slow runs, and every week running further and further than I ever had before, coming into the house grabbing a bottle of water, going for a cold bath and doing nothing for the rest of the day.

The day itself was unreal. What an atmosphere. The support of the people was brilliant. Total strangers shouting and cheering for you. Tiny children handing out jellys. Grown men in the crowd high fiving me on the last mile. Seeing my family and friends after 24 miles. Seeing my sister at 25 and a half.

Low points...realising the pain in my legs after 18 miles was here to stay, and was only going to get worse.

The feeling today as the soreness has eased, and as people have stopped talking about it, that I'll never run my first marathon again.

Yes. Lots.

When are ya'll planning to start running again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

mrslow wrote: »

Physio wants me to wait two weeks :eek:

I'd love to go out this evening after work. The pains are barely noticable today. Even just a light trot up and down the road would keep me happy.

I may chance a couple of miles on the beach on Saturday/Sunday, as a compromise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Some pics available now.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/home.cfm

Anyone know if we can make the images bigger?

Hoping to go for a few miles tomorrow. The legs are semi back to normal today! I can get up and sit down pain free! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

jcsmum wrote: »
    The legs are semi back to normal today! I can get up and sit down pain free! :D

yeah me too but in a strange way I kinda miss that pain!

Advertisement