Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    Hoping to go for a few miles tomorrow. The legs are semi back to normal today! I can get up and sit down pain free! :D

I was reading back through an old thread just now and you were 2 mins ahead of me at Dunshaughlin last year, small world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

mrslow wrote: »
    I was reading back through an old thread just now and you were 2 mins ahead of me at Dunshaughlin last year, small world.

Ah Dunshaughlin, what a great race that was! And such a glorious evening. Definitely on my 2011 'to do' list. :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah Dunshaughlin, what a great race that was! And such a glorious evening. Definitely on my 2011 'to do' list. :)

I'm looking forward to it myself, had only run 10k 3 times before the race, looking forward to lashing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm looking forward to it myself, had only run 10k 3 times before the race, looking forward to lashing through it.

and of course charging up that hill between halfway and the end! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I'll be out in the Park on Sat morning if anyone fancies joining me for a run!! I'm scheduled for a 12 LSR so pace won't be too hectic ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Spelling Digger tut tut.

Loptap quayboard falltee.......;)

I want to go for a run :(

I want to go for a walk......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

shazkea wrote: »
    Can I ask if anyone wishes they had done more 20+ LSR's or is one sufficient? I still remain to be convinced that you can manage 6 extra miles on the day...love to hear your thoughts!

I think the more you can get in the better. I only managed one 18 miler due to injury and found the second half very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?
    The amount of time you have to put into training!

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year? No words... just this is sortof what you might feel:
    Finish.jpg
    - What were your high points and low points of the whole experience? The highs... Meeting alot of nice people along the way, everyone in the park for the LSRs, nailing a new lsr milestone - amazing!!
    The lows....coming home from work and when your feeling wrecked having to motivate yourself outside the door for a run!

- Do you plan on doing another marathon? TBC, hell yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Running 26.2 miles is going to hurt, really hurt.

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Go for it, it's a great experience. But listen to the advice of those who have been through it.

- What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?
    High points were getting under 2 hours in the half marathon and the marathon day, the experience of the event, the start, the park, the crowds, my wife and kids on the side of the hill with a sign that said 'Go Dad Go', the finish and the sense of achievement afterward, despite the pain.
    Low points were having to fit training runs in, find 3+ hours in a weekend for LSR, go out late after having come home from work and feeling wrecked after 20 mile LSR and doubting I could ever run further than that.

- Do you plan on doing another marathon?
    Not sure. Had planned all along on doing it just once, but I think I could do it better, so am tempted to try for sub 4hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

- What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?
    Nothing really, for first-timers I think ignorance is bliss and learning is part of the experience for a novice.

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    If you have a reasonable base, pick a 18/20 week training program and go for it. You'll find 101 reason why you shouldn't or can't. You only have to find 1 reason why you should.

high point: Several, the LSRs and the race series, well worth doing all the races.
    low points: low point was injury, which causes complete insanity. You will happily pay a physio any amount of money to heal you, so start saving now. Seriously though, the help of a good physio can get you to the start line, never mind the finsh line - always money well spent

My initial reaction was no way but that didn't last long. Hope to do another one in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

is anyone else still exhausted? i feel i could sleep for a week. didnt realise we were meant to be still carbo-loading. i've been crap-loading :o

marrona wrote: »
    is anyone else still exhausted? i feel i could sleep for a week. didnt realise we were meant to be still carbo-loading. i've been crap-loading :o

My Sister-in-law is home from Jersey with her kids so my OH and kids have been out with them since Tuesday...It's me, the dog and eating whatever the hell I feel like........;)

Still feeling sorry for myself......

JEmily wrote: »
    The amount of time you have to put into training!

- What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year? No words... just this is sortof what you might feel:
    Finish.jpg
    - What were your high points and low points of the whole experience? The highs... Meeting alot of nice people along the way, everyone in the park for the LSRs, nailing a new lsr milestone - amazing!!
    The lows....coming home from work and when your feeling wrecked having to motivate yourself outside the door for a run!

- Do you plan on doing another marathon? TBC, hell yeah!

Fup me Ted...I think I might get stuck into B 'n' B if that's what it does for you....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Just to give something back to this thread which was a major support.

Great idea RK and make sure to keep going for future. Got the Timex thanks to Xebec and all the lingo from RayCun and found a pace time which Macmillan (another thread tip) gave me from Cork to Cobh.
    Was not comfortable from the start but times were as planned. Knot in stomach(stress maybe) which didn't ease until mile 13-14. Then it was shin or something else. Friends and family at mile 21 brought me new life and legs just went to autopilot, picked up some speed and finished in a near sprint.
    Some euphoria at the end with a 3.47 but didn't see the same in others really. Toughest physical and mental challenge I ever did.
    Didn't expect the entire race to be as uncomfortable and couldn't see myself doing another as I supp'd pints Mon evening but looking at all the names going up for Barcelona it is tempting....
    For anyone thinking of it, a few of us decided Mon evening that it is in the top 4 things to do in your life. Happy training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did anyone hear how James Howlett got on? I couldn't find him in the results..

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did anyone hear how James Howlett got on? I couldn't find him in the results..

Try looking under Seamus.

jaytobe wrote: »
    For anyone thinking of it, a few of us decided Mon evening that it is in the top 4 things to do in your life.

This sounds like it was well discussed and agreed upon. What were the other 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

This sounds like it was well discussed and agreed upon. What were the other 3?

Well a bit controversial really as (we were well jarred!) we came up with the idea first (of top 4) but couldn't agree the other 3...generally it was: kid, degree, travel...

Just read your post...brillant! Was that you I was talking to in the back of McGrattans?

jaytobe wrote: »
    Was that you I was talking to in the back of McGrattans?

Are you a landscape gardener into Dublin GAA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Marrona brilliant report, very witty, if you ever give up the day job writing a book would be a piece of cake for you methinks.
    Nothing really, knew it would take a lot of effort and commitment to get into a position to be able to do it.
    What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Absolutely go for it, you'll never regret it and it will open your eyes to your own potential as a person and you'll feel so much better and healthier for the experience
    Be prepared for a big commitment and try and get in with a group for the LSRs
    What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?
    The highs were many
    The sense of satisfaction after achieving new milestones along the way, first 3 miles,10k, 10 miles, half marathon, LSRs etc.
    Meeting up with the group for the LSRs, not sure I would have been able to do them on my own and have great admiration for those that did.
    The feeling of contentment, coupled with tiredness, on Saturday afternoon's after the LSRs
    Getting to see and enjoy the beauty of the Phoenix Park and other parts of Dublin like Islandbridge (and the rowers out on a Saturday morning) on the LSR's
    The feeling that this was such a great, healthy way to spend a few hours
    The acknowledgement that you will not always be able to do this so do it while you can (Mid life crisis sort of thing)
    The sense of achievement despite all the pain
    The only real low and it was a very real low for me was picking up an injury so close to Dday and the thought that after all the training that I mightn't make it
    Do you plan on doing another marathon?
    Yeah please God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Hey Guys,
    Just checking in with my race report, sorry if it's a tad long but I'm a real winge-bag this week :)

Dublin City Marathon 2010
    Everything started off fine. Arrived at Merrion Square, stretched, did a warm-up job, got into position at the start line etc...
    When the gun went I just took off with the crowd at my pmp, not a second too fast over that.

The race was fine for the first 8 or so miles as I maintained a consistent pace and didn't push myself too hard.
    Mile 9 however was when I started to feel something wrong... but I continued on... however mid-way through mile 10 I knew what was wrong; I was hungry.
    How the hell I f@*ked that up I do not know as I ate practically the same foods the day before & morning of the Half-Marathon as I did on the 25th October. Same as I did with my 20mile LSRs!
    Anyway I knew the situation was only going to get worse so I tried to think of how I could get food into me. I did have a plan to meet someone along the route who had a powerbar for me but that didn't work out and is no one's fault but my own. The 3:15 pace balloons were getting further and further away from me at this stage but thankfully I passed some kids who were giving passing runners jelly babbies so I bid them a big thank you as I downed the 3-4 of the bitesized feasts in a heartbeat.

After eating the jelly babies I started to feel good again, mentally I was getting into a better place. I thought; "If I can just get more food into me I'll be able to get back on track."
    However the biggest blow to my confidence, and my lowest point in the race, occurred; a massive crowd ran past me with the 3:30 pace balloons bopping along in the air. "****."

A mental set-back, "no big deal I can still keep up with them." I couldn't.
    Exactly where things went from here I can't say for sure as I'm not too framilier with the southside but at some point after the Half-way mark my left knee caved in.
    I have never had problems with this before; ever.
    No injuries in the lead-up to this, nothing in the past. Whatever the case the knee went and there was **** all I could do about it.
    I spent the the entire second half of the race like this; hobble, walk, run for a minute; repeat.

I never wanted anything in my life to be over as bad as I wanted that race to end. Every corner was agony.
    You know that feeling you get when you miss a mile marker and are expecting too see a sign for mile 5 and instead you see a sign for mile 6?
    What I wouldn't have given for that feeling during the final stages of the race :)

From what I can remember I was able to push myself hard through bushy park, then it's blury.
    I met my Parents along the way to UCD, had a powerbar and energy drink. Once I got onto the Stillorgan duel-carriageway I was able to force myself up the UCD flyover but coming down it brought me down again. The last area I was able to push myself was when passing James' hospital as I wouldn't let myself walk past in respect for it.
    Eventually I made it home in a time of 3:51:10.

I'm not knocking the sub-4 finish time but I was disappointed. I trained for a sub3:30 time and all of my results indicated that I could achieve that;
    1:29:53 Half Marathon
    3hr 20mile LSRs
    I was doing great at the start and did cross the Half-way mark at 1:41:05 but once the knee dropped there was no getting back on top.

Anyway I've been replaying everything in my mind all week and I have decided that instead of seppuku I will just mark Dublin 2010 as my "Rocky 1."
    On October 31st 2011 I will just have to bring the fight back to Apollo Creed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

are any of ye feeling a real sense of anti climax? People have stopped asking about it, the aches and pains are just about gone and I'm starting to forget exact memories/feelings I had at certain miles :(
    Aw well :(

I knew it would be a huge commitment but I dont think I realised just how much

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    Register asap, once you've hit that 'submit' button there is no going back. Give it 110% as you will only run your first marathon once!

What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?
    The sense of achievement I got when I ran my first 20 miles during training was a definite high.
    Running through Phoenix Park was glorious
    Seeing my parents in the crowd, seeing how proud they were telling people afterwards!
    A low point for me was having a disastrous 20 mile before the race-it really rattled me but I would advice anyone doing their first marathon to get in a few 20 milers. I fell apart doing my 3rd 20 miler so I made myself do a 4th which was a great success which was brilliant for my confidence
    Another low point was someone robbing my water bottles during training :mad:

Do you plan on doing another marathon?
    Absolutely :D

ilovetorun wrote: »
    are any of ye feeling a real sense of anti climax?

not yet but I'm anticipating it. I have my medal hanging from my window handle and when I opened my curtains this morning and saw it, I had a big stupid grin on my face :D. I know what you mean though. I don't want to let go of this thread! once we stop talking about it it's gone! I want us to all stay together here and watch Grace Rofno grow up

I just read over a race report I wrote 3 years ago on another blog for my first ever race! so funny to read it now. it was a 3 mile race and I eh, hit the wall at mile 1.5 and didn't finish!! a mile and a half. janey. not even to the end of O'Connell Street. but I felt way worse during that race than I did at any point in the marathon. well I keep saying I don't feel fit, but I suppose after looking at that, I do feel fit now

not yet but I'm anticipating it. I have my medal hanging from my window handle and when I opened my curtains this morning and saw it, I had a big stupid grin on my face :D. I know what you mean though. I don't want to let go of this thread! once we stop talking about it it's gone! I want us to all stay together here and watch Grace Rofno grow up

Get thee to this thread:
    http://boards.ie/tre/2056071295 P.S. Your top arrived today!

Get thee to this thread:
    http://boards.ie/tre/2056071295 P.S. Your top arrived today!

10 working days. noted. that's how long it'll take my wallet, phone and keys to arrive so!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

- What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?

The time commitment needed to train is far outweighed by the achievement.

Sign up, start running NOW, stick to the plan, DO THREE 20 MILERS IN TRAINING! Be sure of your family planing dates!!:D:D 3 to 5 hours sleep per night in the three weeks run up to marathon will cost you 36 minutes on the day.

High points: Seeing family in last half mile, finishing each race in series, except marathon, ahead of target time.

Hell yeah. That sub 4 hours target is still there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Looking good and fresh mrslow :)

Advertisement