Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think you just get those runs sometimes where everything feels harder than it should be. I'd only start to worry about it if I had three bad runs in a row (or three bad pace runs, or three bad LSRs), then I'd start thinking there was a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wannabee runner

every run is pretty hard going for me!i often find 3 miles nearly as bad as 10!but positive thinking it can only get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I agree, not sure why but some days are better than others. I try not to over analyse it as I've realised it doesn't get me anywhere! I think you have to give yourself a pat on the back for completing the tough ones and try to focus on your good runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    I think you just get those runs sometimes where everything feels harder than it should be. I'd only start to worry about it if I had three bad runs in a row (or three bad pace runs, or three bad LSRs), then I'd start thinking there was a problem.

Yep, was grand after (although I got a week ahead of myself on HH 2 as should have been doing 5 miles pace)...Anyway...Did my 3 miles on Thursday and got my 'stepback' LSR in today both with decent times and well within myself, so that's the weekly mileage done!...Will do well not to run for the next couple of days though. Heading off to collect my 5 Mile race number in the morning and tinkering with the idea of buying a pair of Nike Lunarglide+ whilst I'm at it!

ilovetorun wrote: »
    I agree, not sure why but some days are better than others. I try not to over analyse it as I've realised it doesn't get me anywhere! I think you have to give yourself a pat on the back for completing the tough ones and try to focus on your good runs

Yeah, I had a few bad ones last year but battled through (great feeling when you do) but the only one I gave up on was 2 days after the half marathon, I tried to do 15 miles and was out on my feet with 2 miles to go and stopped...I felt such a failure, I literally 'fell' back to the house...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

*Everybody* has bad days. I went for a run on Wed that was supposed to include 4 miles at Lactate Threshold pace and I was at least 30 seconds a mile slower than I should have been.

Tough it out though because those are the runs that will stand to you in October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

*Everybody* has bad days. I went for a run on Wed that was supposed to include 4 miles at Lactate Threshold pace and I was at least 30 seconds a mile slower than I should have been.

Tough it out though because those are the runs that will stand to you in October

Agreed at the end of the day with all the physically tough days you do it is easy enough to get through them if you feeling good. The days when it is hard make all the difference mentally think of these as mental sessions rather than physical which will stand to you if you hit the wall come race day. Everyday training day has its place be it good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

hey guys - fantastic idea for a thread and great to know that we are not alone out there for it!

I've my own training thread going here but will keep up with ye on this too... I'm hoping for 4hrs 20 but will reassess in early September..

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Yes - started running June last year to loose some weight and kinda got hooked on it.
    -Sept '09 - Dingle Half Marathon - 2hr 16min
    -UCC 10KM (March/April '10) - 47min
    -Ballybunion Half (April '10) - 1hr56 (tough course!!)
    -Cobh 10mile (April '10) - 1hr22
    -Bantry Half (May '10) - 1hr55 (nice course - but hamstring acted up on mile 9)
    -Cork City Marathon (June '10) - 2 stages (11.6miles) - 1hr35
    -Macroom 5km (July '10) - 23.22 - 23min 48sec
    -BHAA 10KM (July '10) - 52min 28sec (was hungover and tired!)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No but do some gym work - weights etc. Should do some pool too!

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Have a couple of running buddies all at different levels so if I need to be whipped into shape I know who to call! Likewise if I'm looking for an easy run! Try to do about 3 or 4 runs per week - 2/3 short and 1 long. Distance varys between 5kms to 10kms at the moment but my 15 week training plan kicks off next Monday July 12th but did a 5km and a 10km race last week
    I've seen the Higdon training plan but I'm following this one on run republic.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Like this question.... dream time is just under the 4hr mark, realistic time is between 4hrs and 4hrs 30min.... I'm aiming for 4hrs 20 but will reassess in early September. (doing dingle half on Sept 4th so should know after that). Also hope to do Cork to Cobh 15mile race in October (will use it as company for a long run).

How many days a week can you train?
    Work has me in the car and on the road a bit so have learnt to have the shoes in the boot!
    Usually pref an evening run but have done a couple of morning in the summer as I'm not a huge fan of the heat. Try to do about 3 or 4 runs per week - 2/3 short and 1 long

Why are you running this marathon?
    I did two stages of Cork City Marathon and knew a few ppl training for it.... felt guilty handing over the wrist band and getting none of the glory!
    Said that I'd do the full Cork marathon in 2011 but then decided that its too long to wait so its DUBLIN! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday - better late than never though! How was your week?

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||

And the plan for next week:
    Week 3
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|4 m (middle 2 @ PMP)|3 m|rest|5 m|cross

For those of you on week 3 - I'd like you to do the middle 2 miles of your Wednesday 4-miler at PMP. This is a step-back week, the long run is only 5 miles. We take a step-back week every 3 weeks in this program, it allows the body time to recover, and will become much more important later on.

Week 4
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|4 m + 4*100m strides|3 m|rest|9 m|cross

Stretching the long run out a bit more in week 4, up to 9 miles now. You should be starting to think about nutrition and hydration, particularly considering that quite a few of you will be on your feet for over 90 minutes at this stage, and it's July so there will possibly be heat to consider. Try and have some means of carrying water, or know where you can pick some up along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    brophya2007|4|16.2|47|7 mile LSR completed in 1:08:15|
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||

Struggled on the LSR on the last mile. Felt like walking but kept going. Had no water so must look at getting one of those water carrier belts.

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|19.35|61.15|step-back week 3 for me, so I did some faster miles in a couple of runs|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||

I don't like carrying anything as I run, so I just keep a 2 euro coin in my pocket. The handy thing about living and running in Dublin is that I'm never more than 5/10 minutes run from a shop if I need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|19.35|61.15|step-back week 3 for me, so I did some faster miles in a couple of runs|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|3|13.25|43.25|+1 circuit +1 squash. Step back week. Those 4 miles at PMP (9 minute miles for me) were tough. Found the 5 mile LSR tough also|
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

adding corked to the table, welcome

Need to start looking into water drops myself once we start getting over 10 miles. I can manage up to that distance relatively ok

I have a question about my cross which is circuit training every Wednesday.
    My schedule usually looks like this

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Tuesdays prescribed session
    Wednesday: Circuit Training, i.e. my cross
    Thursday: Wednesdays prescribed session
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday & Sunday: alternate between Thursdays prescribed session or Saturdays prescribed LSR depending on what suits me best. As in I do one session on the Saturday and the other one on Sunday but in no set pattern. Try to do the LSR Saturday where possible

Anyone see any problems with this approach?

I read in someone's training log that your cross can be anything but preferably not load bearing.
    i.e swimming, cycling etc.
    Any problem using Circuit training as a cross?
    I find it great for core training and we go through the full range of movements with lots of warm up stretches and a cool down.
    Find it great for ironing out the kinks

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|3|20|302.5|I ran my 1st half marathon yesterday and it was all worth it, hard going and a sandstorm between miles 9 and 11 really caused havoc. I'm going for 20ish miles this week in 3 sessions with some cycling in there as well.|
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    elvis jones|3|20|302.5|I ran my 1st half marathon yesterday and it was all worth it, hard going and a sandstorm between miles 9 and 11 really caused havoc. I'm going for 20ish miles this week in 3 sessions with some cycling in there as well.|
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|3|13.25|43.25|+1 circuit +1 squash. Step back week. Those 4 miles at PMP (9 minute miles for me) were tough. Found the 5 mile LSR tough also|
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

adding my totals back in, totally my fault

How did you go in the half elvis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

[QUOTE

adding my totals back in, totally my fault

How did you go in the half elvis?[/QUOTE]

It was good, the final 4 miles were hell with the sandstorm and wind. I did it in 2:20 but was on target for about 2:08 before the weather really hit me ( and everyone ) else so so hard.

I did the 1st half in 1:04 and up to 9 miles was right on track to do that time i said above.

I'm going to do Longford half on Aug 29 but am looking at a 26.2 KM race on Aug 8 which is a leap of 3 miles in about 5 weeks which is not a major jump overall.

It was good, the final 4 miles were hell with the sandstorm and wind. I did it in 2:20 but was on target for about 2:08 before the weather really hit me ( and everyone ) else so so hard.
    I did the 1st half in 1:04 and up to 9 miles was right on track to do that time I said above.
    I'm going to do Longford half on Aug 29 but am looking at a 26.2 KM race on Aug 8 which is a leap of 3 miles in about 5 weeks which is not a major jump overall.

similar to my experience in the strawberry half.
    The wheels fell off for me around mile 8/9 with difficult conditions also, heat as opposed to sand storms.

Great to have it finished tho and gives you something to build on, well done.

You'll be like me and looking for huge improvements in the next one.
    Sub 2 hours I'm guessing?

Nice running Elvis, the conditions yesterday looked really tough so you should be proud of yourself for a tough run. You'll definitely be ready for that kilomathon race next month if you go for it - good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    rofno1|2|6|21|Only 2 runs due to illness. Bit annoyed really:mad:|
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

Not a great week last week. Had a flu like virus from Thursday til Saturday and really knocked me for 6. Only right since yesterday. The building phase LSRs should stand to me hopefully.

So two questions really.
    1) Are you more or less suseciptble to cold & viruses when training?
    and
    2) I'm on week 3 which is a step back week. However, I'm thinking at this stage and the fact that I didn't do an LSR this past week, that I should do the 7 mile LSR this weekend rather than the 5 that I should do.

Any views?

rofno1 wrote: »
    So two questions really.
    and
    2) I'm on week 3 which is a step back week. However, I'm thinking at this stage and the fact that I didn't do an LSR this past week, that I should do the 7 mile LSR this weekend rather than the 5 that I should do.

Any views?

You can be slightly more susceptible to colds and viruses when training, because you are putting more stress on your body than you were before. Just look after yourself and you shouldn't notice too much of a difference in general though.

Most important thing to do now though is to make sure that you are properly recovered. For that reason I would suggest that you stick with the step-back week this week, but if after 5 miles this weekend you feel you would be comfortable with going on for another two then go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|3|17|37| Did my Long Run in Howth for a change of scenery. Really bad idea - along the coast (towards Lighthouse) is all hills, I did know this in advance but didn’t think it to be a problem. It was haha. Only managed 7.5 miles for that one. (Note: Evening time so no wind for me to complain about)|
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

I ended up walking the 2nd half of my long run which I now appreciate as it gave me a kick in the arse and reminded me that these next few weeks will be hard.

I also picked my number up for the 5mile race on the 17th July, am I right to assume that everyone else is doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

You can be slightly more susceptible to colds and viruses when training, because you are putting more stress on your body than you were before. Just look after yourself and you shouldn't notice too much of a difference in general though.

Most important thing to do now though is to make sure that you are properly recovered. For that reason I would suggest that you stick with the step-back week this week, but if after 5 miles this weekend you feel you would be comfortable with going on for another two then go ahead.

Thanks, RK. I'll stick with step-back and will see how I feel on LSR as you suggest.

Looking forward to for 5 miler on 17th now!:)

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|4|18|58.5|Step-back week for me, looking forward to the 11 mile LSR this week and need to figure out how to include 5 mile race into the plan for the week after as it's meant to be an LSR of 13 miles|
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|3|17|37| Did my Long Run in Howth for a change of scenery. Really bad idea - along the coast (towards Lighthouse) is all hills, I did know this in advance but didn’t think it to be a problem. It was haha. Only managed 7.5 miles for that one. (Note: Evening time so no wind for me to complain about)|
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|4|26.51|129.53|Good week for me. Last week of base building. 16 week schedule starts Monday 5th|
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    digger2d2|4|18|58.5|Step-back week for me, looking forward to the 11 mile LSR this week and need to figure out how to include 5 mile race into the plan for the week after as it's meant to be an LSR of 13 miles|
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

I also picked my number up for the 5mile race on the 17th July, am I right to assume that everyone else is doing this?

I think a lot of us are, most of the Dublin-based people anyway?

The Macmillan running calculator is down at the moment, but it says that a 5 mile time of 40.47 is equivalent to a (barely) sub-4 marathon. Assuming you do all the training, of course.

For a 4.30 marathon, you should be doing under 44 minutes in the 5 mile, I think.

So now you have targets :)

RayCun wrote: »
    I think a lot of us are, most of the Dublin-based people anyway?
    I will be anyway - even if my own training has been absolutely rubbish lately! Hoping for sub-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|4|26.51|129.53|Good week for me. Last week of base building. 16 week schedule starts Monday 5th|
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|118|Good week over all|
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

Found Saturday and Sunday's runs really hard - had a few glasses of wine over the weekend,think I will have to have a serious talk with myself re: alcohol and running...its too difficult to run with a bottle of wine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|||||
    wicklowwonder|||||
    pab_lowe|||||
    boccy23|||||
    OI|||||
    dublinrunner|||||
    robandpatrice|||||
    dothehustle|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|||||
    DigiJem|4|15.5|67|Ok week, lots of easy runs but no cross training. Weeks 1 & 2 done twice now so moving onto week 3.|
    D Chief|||||
    curraghyid|||||
    la calera|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Figmurphy|||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|118|Good week over all|
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

rofno1 wrote: »
    So two questions really.
    and

Any views?

Yes I find that I get lots of flu / colds when training hard - prob best to keep stocked up on vitamins etc!

If I were you i'd chance the 7mile run or maybe go halfway and do a 10km / 6miler? Whatever feels comfortable on the day.

• Advertisement

I will be anyway - even if my own training has been absolutely rubbish lately! Hoping for sub-40.

Me too.....Did 38:13 last year so the plan is to run 7:30/miles which will give me 37:30...That said, have done no work near that pace until today (3 x 7:45)...Will do all my 3 mile runs at that pace or quicker between now and the race and hope that's enough:confused:

Advertisement