Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The route will be marked with mile signs and marked at 5 Km intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Best of luck to everyone doing the adidas 5 mile race tomorrow. I'll be there in spirirt. I'll be doing my 9 mile lsr tomorrow instead.

Hope to read about a few PBs from it on here next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck to everyone doing the adidas 5 mile race tomorrow. .

+1 good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

It's on....

Best of luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

woohoo
    a pb for me
    down from 53:57 in the same event last year to 41:44 today
    yes folks thats a 12:13 seond gain
    last years 5 mile was my first ever race so stick with the training and your times will come down.

the garmin has the course down as 4.91 miles which i'm hoping is inaccurate but I'm taking it anyway.

Irish Runner 5 mile 2010

Glad all the hardship (read training) looks like it is slowly paying off :D

How did everyone else go?

• Advertisement

8ofSpades wrote: »
    yes folks thats a 12:13 seond gain

Fair play to ya man that's excellent.
    I pretty much came level with my pb but i'm still happy enough with that.

I'll post about how I got on in the morning but again 8ofSpades that's a great achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

My chip time was 36:38 but allowing for the fact the corse was incorrectly measured a more realistic finishing time would be circa 37:25 (based on my 7:29/mile pace)............With all the training we are doing for the Marathon, the organisers better not set a 25.8 mile course !!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|5|25.7|50.3| This week was my first week of the training plan, pushed it a bit harder as I want to be on form for the Boston Scientific Half in Clonmel on August 15th. was on 8.5min miles for my short runs but my LSR (9.5mile) was on 10min mile - really need to increase that speed but happy with the distance |
    Cr17||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|4|22|100.2| very happy with 9 mile lsr|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|5|25.7|50.3| This week was my first week of the training plan, pushed it a bit harder as I want to be on form for the Boston Scientific Half in Clonmel on August 15th. was on 8.5min miles for my short runs but my LSR (9.5mile) was on 10min mile - really need to increase that speed but happy with the distance |
    Cr17||||

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|4|19|83|9 mile lsr done in 1hr 29:30. The longest i've run and was proud talking about it to my mates over a few pints last night. Sad I know.|
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|4|21|80|or should it be 20.9? Did the 4.9 mile Irish Runner race on Saturday. Did 40:46 so was extremely happy even if it was a bit short. |
    brophya2007|4|19|83|9 mile lsr done in 1hr 29:30. The longest i've run and was proud talking about it to my mates over a few pints last night. Sad I know.|
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

Thanks to all earlier this week for the great advice about the speed to run at. This has helped already and will definitely help in the coming weeks. Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another week down - hope the Irish Runner 5 4.9 mile went well for everyone! Even if it didn't, you'll still have learnt some valuable lessons about racing, and got a new training top, so worth it anyway :D
    Let's make this a discussion topic too - what have you learnt from your summer racing so far, and has it brought up any particular issues for you?

This week:
    Week 5
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|5 m|3 m|rest|10 m|cross

Another increase in mileage this week - 10 mile LSR and 5 miles for the midweek sorta-long run. I'm not going to add anything to the midweek run this week due to the slight increase in distance.

Week 6
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|5m w/ 2-3 @ PMP|3 m|rest|7 m|cross

Our second step-back week happens this week. Logically our LSR should be 11 miles, so we're stepping back to a nice easy 7-miler. It's also our second week doing 5 miles as the midweek sorta-long run, so we'll throw in a couple of PMP miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William|||||
    rofno|4|21|59|20.9 here too. Decide to do 10 mile LSR on Wednesday evening. Ran the 4.9 Irish runner with a 40:15. Well happy as target was under 45|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|4|21|80|or should it be 20.9? Did the 4.9 mile Irish Runner race on Saturday. Did 40:46 so was extremely happy even if it was a bit short. |
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

Well happy with Irish runner 5 mile time. Nice even splits and got head down for last mile. I'll take it as a PB, short course or not!!

After reading the advice on pacing give to Boccy, I ran 10 miles LSR midweek at fairly even 10min/mile. Last mile was still a bit of a struggle.

Right, what have I learned? Well pacing is important but difficult to get right. Getting a handle on it now though.

Also, I've learnt that some people think they can run much faster that they really can, start in wrong wave, walk after 3/4 of a mile and generally get in way.;)

Roll on Frank Duffy 10 miles!

I am not sure if I am pushing myself too early. I ran 10 miles Monday- Friday.
    Then went surfing for three hours on Saturday. Then I ran a fairly slow 20 mile there today in about 4 hours.
    Is this too much too early? My legs do get sore though. Also on my ten mile run.I can't seem to get it below an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

rofno1 wrote: »
    Also, I've learnt that some people think they can run much faster that they really can, start in wrong wave, walk after 3/4 of a mile and generally get in way.;)

Hate that too - I did a Bantry Bay run in May and must have passed out the same guy about 8 times. He'd pass me and then about half mile further he would be walking!

I prefer to start a bit back and then overtake ppl - much better feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

William|||||
    rofno|4|21|59|20.9 here too. Decide to do 10 mile LSR on Wednesday evening. Ran the 4.9 Irish runner with a 40:15. Well happy as target was under 45|
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|5|22.5|109.35|38.14 on Saturday, should have been about 39 and I'd have been delighted. Annoyed instead, so went out for another 5 on Sunday|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

I learned that the middle miles are always going to be the toughest, even when I know they're going to be tough and don't go out too fast.

I remember somewhere between miles 3 and 4 looking at my watch, seeing I was doing around 8.10 pace, and thinking I'd have to speed up. So I picked it up a bit and started to pass people out. Feeling pleased with myself, I looked at my watch again about a minute later. I was going slower! I'd slowed down again since I last looked, but everyone else was slowing down by more...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|5|22.5|109.35|38.14 on Saturday, should have been about 39 and I'd have been delighted. Annoyed instead, so went out for another 5 on Sunday|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|1|4|90|Desperate week for me :(|
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

I strained my back standing on the terrace at the Munster hurling final (up the Deise!) last week,tried to go for a run mid week but I had to give up at 4 miles,totally frustrated over it. I rested from then on so I'm going to give it a go this evening. Fingers Crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Then went surfing for three hours on Saturday. Then I ran a fairly slow 20 mile there today in about 4 hours.
    Is this too much too early? My legs do get sore though. Also on my ten mile run.I can't seem to get it below an hour and a half.

To be perfectly honest, I do think it's a bit early to be running a 20-miler at this stage, unless you're following an intermediate/advanced plan which requires it. On most novice programs the LSRs are 10-13 miles at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Backwards IMO. You should be doing 20 Miles between Mon-Fri over 3-4 days and your LSR should be < 14 miles at this stage of training.

Try adding some speed/tempo runs during the week to help with 10 Mile Pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

William|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|20|102|36:38 on Saturday but using daymobrew's 'short race' calculator it comes out at 37:18, very happy with my run all the same|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

William|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|20|102|36:38 on Saturday but using daymobrew's 'short race' calculator it comes out at 37:18, very happy with my run all the same|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||| |
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||
    MitreSize5|2|14.8|14.8|Jumped into the HH plan week 5 mid week. 11 lsr - aerobically fine - legs felt it and a bit stiff yesterday. 50Km cycle as cross

Just joined this plan late and as anticipated able for the LSR aerobically but legs felt the time on them.

William|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|3|20|83| Only 3 sessions inc one LSR and the Irish Runner 5mile. Managed the Race in 32:41 which would have been a PB but won’t be after the 4.9 revelation. Ah well it tells me that I’m still in and around my best anyhow.|
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||
    MitreSize5|2|14.8|14.8|Jumped into the HH plan week 5 mid week. 11 lsr - aerobically fine - legs felt it and a bit stiff yesterday. 50Km cycle as cross

Anybody else by the Independent this morning to see their name in the paper? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|3|19|71.5|12.75m LSR in 2 and half hours. I didn't mean to do such a long one, calves are sore but it felt ok except for being so thirsty. Cycled 60m|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|3|20|83| Only 3 sessions inc one LSR and the Irish Runner 5mile. Managed the Race in 32:41 which would have been a PB but won’t be after the 4.9 revelation. Ah well it tells me that I’m still in and around my best anyhow.|
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

A big problem I found running in the heat is that my feet are larger than normal and swell up even more in races which really hurts. My runners are my normal shoe size so I will be buying a larger pair, a half or one size up. Well done James, a super time. And to everyone else, great times and pb's all round, even though the course was not even the full length.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|1|4.88|46.5|Rested the sore knee in advance of the Irish Runner not quite 5 Mile :mad:|
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|3|19|71.5|12.75m LSR in 2 and half hours. I didn't mean to do such a long one, calves are sore but it felt ok except for being so thirsty. Cycled 60m|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

Knee was very sore after last weeks 9 mile lsr so made the decision to completely rest it ahead of the 5 mile and then to take it very easy over that. Managed to stick to the first part of the plan but my competitive streak took over in the race. Finished in 40:32 for the 4.88 so that works out to 41:16. Absolutely chuffed with that as my prep could not have been worse (had only been out twice in the 3.5 weeks previous to the race) and my best estimate from McMillan was 42:11 based on a time when I was running much more regularly
    The positives:
    1) Delighted with the time
    2) Really enjoyed the race atmosphere and overall great to get back into it

The Negatives
    1) Really really pissed off about that short race. Honestly cannot believe it happened in such a high profile race. That’s what we’re paying the money for no? Not like I’m a pro or anything but as one of the other posters said I don’t want to start to answer the question about my 5 mile pb with the words “well, its like this….”. Sod that 41:16 it is – no buts…
    2) Knee was a little bit tender directly after the race (but encouragingly not during or at all the next day) – will have to really mind it now for a while…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|1|4.88|46.5|Rested the sore knee in advance of the Irish Runner not quite 5 Mile :mad:|
    elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|5|17|103|Nice week, enjoyed the Irish Runner race, signed up for the rest of the series today so no backing out now!|
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|5|17|103|Nice week, enjoyed the Irish Runner race, signed up for the rest of the series today so no backing out now!|
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|3|22.7|145| Finally got my garmin watch this week and realised that I had been getting my mileage slightly incorrect so disappointed by that. Only managed 3 sessions aswell but got managed LSR of 10miles, tough tho.|
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|3|16|45.75|Knee very sore this week, so missed second 3 mile run. Did nothing Thur, Fri or Sat. Then completed 9 miles on Sunday evening. Felt knee during run but is ok today.|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|3|22.7|145| Finally got my garmin watch this week and realised that I had been getting my mileage slightly incorrect so disappointed by that. Only managed 3 sessions aswell but got managed LSR of 10miles, tough tho.|
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|2|10|70.25|+1 circuit, unintentional taper for me before the 5 mile. Instead of hitting the 4 scheduled sessions I've dropped to 2, badly need to sort that out. Delighted with the *5* mile time of 41:44|
    D Chief|3|16|45.75|Knee very sore this week, so missed second 3 mile run. Did nothing Thur, Fri or Sat. Then completed 9 miles on Sunday evening. Felt knee during run but is ok today.|
    Shazkea|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Missed Session
    Wednesday: Circuit Training
    Thursday: Missed session
    Friday: Rested - could have trained but didnt want to the day before the race
    Saturday:
    Irish Runner 4.9 mile in 41:44. Rerally enjoyed it and felt good all the way around. Knee was giving me slight trouble around the back of the course but really enjoyed it
    Sunday:
    5 mile recovery run
    Tried to keep it as slow as I could. Was really feeling some pain in the first mile and on mile 4 going up the hill I felt a good bit of pain in my right knee (IT Band i think) so slowed to a walk and resumed at the top of the hill as I didnt want to do more damage.

Even though I missed half the sessions this week I'm sticking with the schedule as I need my contingency week in September.
    I think my MHR then is 192 based on my "sprint" finish on Saturday so will use this to plan my mid week runs and see how it goes.
    Bit of pain still in my knee and foot so going to train on the track this week with circuit training on Wednesday and LSR on the road then as normal and see how it goes.

Discussion Topic:
    I've learned in the half marathon that you are not going to finish in style unless you put in the training.
    I've learned its not just about getting to the top of the hill but carrying on after it, which is a mental thing I've managed to overcome I think.
    I've learned people will never go in to the correct wave/zone so traffic negotiation will be a skill in itself
    I've learned that with training your times really will improve
    I've learned my MHR is 192 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|4|16|62|stuck to the plan til saturday when i did the 5 mile race instead - delighted with time of 41:49 down from over 45 mins last year|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|2|10|70.25|+1 circuit, unintentional taper for me before the 5 mile. Instead of hitting the 4 scheduled sessions I've dropped to 2, badly need to sort that out. Delighted with the *5* mile time of 41:44|
    Shazkea|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17||||

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

elvis jones|||||
    beamgirl|4|16|62|stuck to the plan til saturday when i did the 5 mile race instead - delighted with time of 41:49 down from over 45 mins last year|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    RallyRunner|4|15|65|Week went well. Did the Irish Runner 5 mile. Did it in 39.59. Happy Days (even with the course "issues")|
    Cr17||||

Advertisement