Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi all, I'm running the DCM this year for the first time. I completed my first race last saturday the Adidas 5 mile race.

I've started to follow the Hal Higdon's program as well last week but I'm only on week 2 and can see that you guys are already up to week 7.

Should I jump into week 7 as well or are the miles at this stage to much of a jump for me? I did the 5 miles in 41mins last week.

Any advise would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What's the longest run you've done so far, Neonman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'm really looking forward to doing this Marathon.

So far I am happy with my training.
    I'm hitting as many sessions as possible, eating the right foods, staying way from the bad ones (ish)...
    I'm always interested in looking up training tips and am eager to improve my performance...

...but you just can't beat getting an Ice-Cream on a Friday evening on the way from work.:D

...but you just can't beat getting an Ice-Cream on a Friday evening on the way from work.:D
    A little of what you fancy might just do you good :D

What's the longest run you've done so far, Neonman?

That would be the 5 mile race last weekend :o

Going out tomorrow to do a 6 mile run.

• Advertisement

In that case, I have to say that I think you might be a bit too far behind at this stage to get through the training and the race safely. Ramping up from 5 miles now, to me, poses a very high risk of injury. At this point, to be on track to complete the marathon you should be doing 9-12 miles as your LSR. You would probably be better off using the half in the Phoenix Park in September as a target.

In that case, I have to say that I think you might be a bit too far behind at this stage to get through the training and the race safely. Ramping up from 5 miles now, to me, poses a very high risk of injury. At this point, to be on track to complete the marathon you should be doing 9-12 miles as your LSR. You would probably be better off using the half in the Phoenix Park in September as a target.

I was afraid you were going to say that...I was out with a knee injury and that is why I am behind on my training....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

god this thread is hotting up now

milosh, RubyK, The_Dazzler & JEmily welcome to hell the DCM novices training log :D
    hopefully I didnt leave anyone out
    I'm an amateur photographer and I would definitely recommend the group photo to be taken the day before, when everyone is fresh faced and buzzing (and sober). You will need good light too, a pub would be too dark, unless you have a very good flash.

I was wondering if many more people, particularly in this thread, are running the marathon for a charity? I was thinking about it but I am not mad about asking people for money.

good ideas there, if the tshirt idea doesnt take off the photo op would still be something definitely worth doing. We can guage nearer the time what the best place/time to do it would be.
    Defo think it would be better before the race, either the day or morning before. Doesnt mean we cant still go to the pub afterwards ;)

Never heard about the expo, when & where is it and what happens at it?

I'm not running for charity personally, its a tough climate out there so hopefully you will do well.
    (it's she, btw :pac: )

you never told us if you plan running it or not :rolleyes:

I might set up a vote/table, similar to the log table, after next weeks training log goes up. People can add there comments then and see where we are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8ofSpades wrote: »
    Doesnt mean we cant still go to the pub afterwards ;)
    Never heard about the expo, when & where is it and what happens at it?

The Expo (says the guy who has never been to one) is the number-collection thing in the RDS on the weekend right before the marathon. You have to go to get your number, so there's also loads of stands selling running gear. I mentioned earlier that it might be fun to meet up on the Sunday afternoon and go for the traditional pasta lunch... but that's all months away anyway.

Afterwards, there'll probably be a boards.ie meetup in a pub somewhere. Probably the pub in the hotel where the pacers are being put up, so we can buy them pints to thank them for dragging us around.

RayCun wrote: »
    The Expo (says the guy who has never been to one) is the number-collection thing in the RDS on the weekend right before the marathon. I mentioned earlier that it might be fun to meet up on the Sunday afternoon and go for the traditional pasta lunch... but that's all months away anyway.
    Afterwards, there'll probably be a boards.ie meetup in a pub somewhere. Probably the pub in the hotel where the pacers are being put up, so we can buy them pints to thank them for dragging us around.

The expo sounds ideal for a photo op and lunch, great idea.
    I took the Tuesday off of work because I thought I might be in pain. By the sounds if it the pain could be in my head!!

• Advertisement

I'm flying out to Spain the next day, for a week of wine and food.
    I am not bringing my runners.

you never told us if you plan running it or not :rolleyes:
    I am registered for it, and have been since April ;)

My own training has taken a bit of a hit lately so I'm trying to get back on track, and my goal has been reset from "4 hours or GTFO" to "have fun, particularly if it involves high-fiving every child in Dublin along the way".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|1|4.88|46.5|Rested the sore knee in advance of the Irish Runner not quite 5 Mile :mad:|
    rofno|4|21|59|20.9 here too. Decide to do 10 mile LSR on Wednesday evening. Ran the 4.9 Irish runner with a 40:15. Well happy as target was under 45|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|4|21|80|or should it be 20.9? Did the 4.9 mile Irish Runner race on Saturday. Did 40:46 so was extremely happy even if it was a bit short. |
    brophya2007|4|19|83|9 mile lsr done in 1hr 29:30. The longest i've run and was proud talking about it to my mates over a few pints last night. Sad I know.|
    beamgirl|4|16|62|stuck to the plan til saturday when i did the 5 mile race instead - delighted with time of 41:49 down from over 45 mins last year|
    michellemuncher|3|19|71.5|12.75m LSR in 2 and half hours. I didn't mean to do such a long one, calves are sore but it felt ok except for being so thirsty. Cycled 60m|
    Dave_|3|12.5|270|Poor week again, have already done more than last week in 3 runs so far this week|
    RayCun|5|22.5|109.35|38.14 on Saturday, should have been about 39 and I'd have been delighted. Annoyed instead, so went out for another 5 on Sunday|
    littlebug|4|22|100.2| very happy with 9 mile lsr|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|5|17|103|Nice week, enjoyed the Irish Runner race, signed up for the rest of the series today so no backing out now!|
    8ofSpades|2|10|70.25|+1 circuit, unintentional taper for me before the 5 mile. Instead of hitting the 4 scheduled sessions I've dropped to 2, badly need to sort that out. Delighted with the *5* mile time of 41:44|
    D Chief|3|16|45.75|Knee very sore this week, so missed second 3 mile run. Did nothing Thur, Fri or Sat. Then completed 9 miles on Sunday evening. Felt knee during run but is ok today.|
    digger2d2|4|20|102|36:38 on Saturday but using daymobrew's 'short race' calculator it comes out at 37:18, very happy with my run all the same|
    Shazkea|1|3||Crap week as injury hit. That's my contingency week used :(|
    Curl52|3|22.7|145| Finally got my garmin watch this week and realised that I had been getting my mileage slightly incorrect so disappointed by that. Only managed 3 sessions aswell but got managed LSR of 10miles, tough tho.|
    ilovetorun|1|4|90|Desperate week for me :(|
    James Howlett|3|20|83| Only 3 sessions inc one LSR and the Irish Runner 5mile. Managed the Race in 32:41 which would have been a PB but won’t be after the 4.9 revelation. Ah well it tells me that I’m still in and around my best anyhow.|
    RallyRunner|4|15|65|Week went well. Did the Irish Runner 5 mile. Did it in 39.59. Happy Days (even with the course "issues")|
    corked|5|25.7|50.3| This week was my first week of the training plan, pushed it a bit harder as I want to be on form for the Boston Scientific Half in Clonmel on August 15th. was on 8.5min miles for my short runs but my LSR (9.5mile) was on 10min mile - really need to increase that speed but happy with the distance |
    Cr17||||
    MitreSize5|2|14.8|14.8|Jumped into the HH plan week 5 mid week. 11 lsr - aerobically fine - legs felt it and a bit stiff yesterday. 50Km cycle as cross |
    Milosh|4|19|80| Struggled on the 10m LSR but made it in the end. Legs were tired over the last 2m |
    RubyK|4|33.75|82.75| Did my LSR a day early, yesterday evening. 15.75 miles avg pace 9.26 mins. Happy with how it went, but my legs were tired after it.
    The_Dazzler|5|27|230| Went for a 13 mile LSR yesterday. Felt fine till about 10 miles, then my energy levels just dropped. Ended up walking the last 3 miles. I reckon it was due to having only 4 hours sleep the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Good running RubyK - you certainly look in good shape for the marathon.

I finally got into double digits today with my 10 mile LSR. All going according to plan so far.

Hope everyone else's LSR went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

god this thread is hotting up now

milosh, RubyK, The_Dazzler & JEmily welcome to hell the DCM novices training log :D
    hopefully I didnt leave anyone out

Thanks for the welcomes.

Guess what, I HAVE JUST COMPLETED MY 10 MILER JOG TODAY. Am soooo happy, my first 10 mile jog EVER. What else can i say...:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Off now to start my log here...hope it keeps me on track!

P.S. I started on week 5 here, so far so good, so if i can do it anyone can!

P.P.S it was a really slow paced jog, 1 hour 50mins

Good stuff! :) Hitting double digits for the first time is very satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

PMP stands for Planned Marathon Pace. If you're aiming for a 4 hour marathon, that would be about 9 minutes per mile pace, and 4:30 marathon pace would be about 10 minute miling. On a workout like the one I've specified for Wednesday in the plan, all I really want you to do is to do your first mile very easy, do your middle 3 miles at your expected PMP, then take your last mile very easy to cool down. It's just to get the legs used to your goal pace.

Are you guys on week 6 training at the moment, as in onto week 7 next week? Just don't want to get left behind:confused:

I just slotted into week 5 this week.

I have week 5 and week 6 down for this week because some people following the program decided to start a week early so as to have a contingency week. Next week is week 6, but for those who started early it will be week 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Got my 10 mile LSR done this morning. Very happy to have made it to the end. The last few miles were slow, but hey I made in one piece :).
    Did a 5 mile out and back route, it was hard to turn in the road and know what I had to face into on the way back.

Did a 5 mile out and back route, it was hard to turn in the road and know what I had to face into on the way back.

almost all my routes are out and back.
    Thats an interesting point you make, at the moment I'm relived when I turn around, I wonder will that change the longer the LSRs get....

• Advertisement

I am registered for it, and have been since April ;)
    My own training has taken a bit of a hit lately so I'm trying to get back on track, and my goal has been reset from "4 hours or GTFO" to "have fun, particularly if it involves high-fiving every child in Dublin along the way".

What plan are you following as a matter of interest?

What plan are you following as a matter of interest?

Started with Intermediate 2, but had to reassess after missing a lot of running this month due to being tripped by a dog and needing antibiotics after the cuts on my elbow and knee got badly infected. Also, the next 4 weeks are going to be a pain because I'm in the last few weeks of work on my MSc thesis. For those reasons, I'm loosely following Novice 1, but adding more midweek mileage (this week I did 6/4/5/11.stuff and swam 1,500m). I've also re-evaluated my time goal from 4 hours to 4:15. I'll give P&D 18/55 a crack next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Got my 10 mile LSR done this morning. Very happy to have made it to the end. The last few miles were slow, but hey I made in one piece :).

Yep, a lot of my runs are similar....They are also typically downhill for the first half and uphill on the way home!!! Did my 12 mile LSR on Friday....I've felt quite tired/sore since the 5 mile race last week and punished myself a bit by doing 8 miles on Thursday and then the 12 mile on Friday (which had quite a lot of hills) so currently sitting on the couch with my dog curled up beside me watching F1 and golf (she loves sport :D) Am not going to move until the Superquinn Fillet steak is too much to resist !!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Just in from my 10 mile LSR. It was my first run with my new Garmin. I was surprised at how erratic my pace was at first (8.20 minute first mile, 10.32 second) but I got it under control and I averaged exactly 10 minute miles which I am delighted with as it's what I was aiming for.

Another week down, how was it for you?

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

And the next week of the plan...

Week 6
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|5m w/ 2-3 @ PMP|3 m|rest|7 m|cross

Our second step-back week happens this week. Logically our LSR should be 11 miles, so we're stepping back to a nice easy 7-miler. It's also our second week doing 5 miles as the midweek sorta-long run, so we'll throw in a couple of PMP miles.

Week 7
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|6 m|3 m|rest|12 m|cross

Starting to get serious now - 6 miles midweek and 12 miles at the weekend. Stepping up the mileage again, so no tweaks this week. We're starting to get to a stage now where slower runners will be on their feet for 2+ hours with the LSR, so having a source of hydration is very strongly recommended and this is something you need to plan for.

On that note - I'd like everyone to take a look again this week (particularly those of you who are entering week 7 since your long run is now 12 miles) at how they're doing in terms of hydration and nutrition on your long runs. We're at a stage now where it is useful to take water and some carbs, be that through gels, sweets, sports drink - so have you tried any of it? If so, how is it working for you? Have you discovered anything that absolutely does NOT work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

I have never done anything really about eating or drinking on runs. I don't like carrying things, including water bottles. Did once try one designed to be carried by runners but didn't like that either. Haven't felt I have suffered for lack of water or food.
    This morning as part of my 10 miles, I ran a 4 mile loop twice and left a small bottle of water for the second lap. I will try and do something like that for long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|26.57|135.9|the plan for the coming week is over 30 miles...|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Two weeks ago I went out for an LSR without any water or food, and really suffered in the last few miles. It didn't help that I got my route wrong and ran further than planned.

This weekend I ran up to Phoenix Park, stopped into the shop just outside on the North Circular Road for a bottle of water and washed down a gel with it. The plan is to do that every week - or every week when my miles go up anyway - stopping a little further along the run each time. 16 miles this Saturday, so get the water at around 11/12 miles, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|26.57|135.9|the plan for the coming week is over 30 miles...|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    RubyK|5|38|87|Happy with this weeks training, after starting out a bit iffy|
    The_Dazzler|||||

For my LSR I hide at least 4 300ml water bottles (as usually one gets robbed :eek:) en route. I also bring 3-4 glucose sweets. I was ok on this weeks LSR, which was a Friday evening, but found last weeks one tougher, on a Sat morning, because I hadn't eaten enough for breakfast. I'm going to try out a couple of gels soon, and work out what will suit me best fo the big day in October. I always take a couple of glucose sweets with me, even on short runs, just incase.

Advertisement