Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ooops. Making a right hash of posting this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|26.57|135.9|the plan for the coming week is over 30 miles...|
    littlebug|4|18||midweek blip and had to abandon midweek run but good 10m lsr on sunday|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    RubyK|5|38|87|Happy with this weeks training, after starting out a bit iffy|
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I seem to mess up tables when i attempt to write anything under them so writing my response separately. So far I have been ok carrying a bottle of water with me. Gels when I start using them willl be pre-opened and pinned to me :) I must get some this week.
    Now I have to decide what to do this week. Streets of Galway 8k is in 2 weeks time on the weekend where the 12 miler is scheduled. At the minute I'm thinking of swapping weeks and doing the 12 miler next weekend with the following week as fall back week (7 miles inc race) . if I do this should I also swap the midweek schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|4|18||midweek blip and had to abandon midweek run but good 10m lsr on sunday|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|4|25.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|5|31|121|Back in the saddle this week after a horrendous week last week. Did 11 mile LSR and was delighted with it, the last couple of miles were tough|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|4|22.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

I stopped at the shop mid way (during LSR) and got water, I've learnt that I need to stop and drink the water rather than run and drink - for some reason it doesn't settle in my stomach if I run and drink. I need to look into bringing sweets/gels this week. I haven't tried gels before so it will be interesting to try some out.
    On a side note I learnt an invaluable lesson last week, when I'm injured (I strained my back a couple of weeks ago) rest it...simple as! Previously I would have tried to run through it (pure stubbornness) but what I was doing was more harmful and I would be off the road for even longer than if I had simply rested it. I took a week off and started afresh last week and was back with a bang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

William72|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|5|31|121|Back in the saddle this week after a horrendous week last week. Did 11 mile LSR and was delighted with it, the last couple of miles were tough|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|4|22.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|4|25.4|40.3|12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially|
    The_Dazzler|||||

12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially. Keep putting miles in the legs I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||||
    rofno|4|18|77|Another stepback week done. Next week 12 mls LSR, my longest one yet!|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|4|25.4|40.3|12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially|
    The_Dazzler|||||

I generally take on water in the hours leading up to run. But this weeks LSR is 2 miles longer that I've ran before so I'll be trying out a water belt.

Other question for you, how does the current humidity effect your pace. I find it drains me of energy after 6-7 miles. Hopefully the water belt and a few sweets or gels might help this week.

What are your experiences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|||||
    rofno|4|18|77|Another stepback week done. Next week 12 mls LSR, my longest one yet!|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|4|21|124|Happy to get LSR into double digits, a good week of training|
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

For water, I generally stick a small bottle somewhere halfway on LSR or do a looped run that passes my car halfway. For the last 2 LSRs, I tried a gel after 1 hour. First time I thought it was sickly sweet and did nothing for me. Did the same on yesterdays LSR and it was better. 20 minutes after taking gel I did felt a little boost, a little less wrecked anyway.

Found the humidity tough yesterday alright, hoped the rain would arrive to help but it didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I hate the humidity. I was lucky on Saturday, got out early, home by 11 am, so it was nice and cool with even a little sprinkling of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

RayCun wrote: »
    I hate the humidity. I was lucky on Saturday, got out early, home by 11 am, so it was nice and cool with even a little sprinkling of rain.

Was out at 5 pm on Saturday and I must have lost at least 3lbs in sweat alone. Plenty of H2O when I back home.

The sprinkling of rain is great on a warm run. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|4|21.5|104.5|Into double digits for the first time, felt better doing this run than the 9 miles lsr last week.|
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

The last 2 weeks i've taken a lucozade body fuel gel after 6 miles with some water and they see to settle in the stomach ok and they're very easy to swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|4|21.5|104.5|Into double digits for the first time, felt better doing this run than the 9 miles lsr last week.|
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|4|27|129|step back week ahead for me|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    beamgirl|1|6|68|really bad week for me running wise but on a happier note i got engaged and had a big birthday so just didnt get a chance to get the runs in but back to the plan for this week|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats on your engagement Beamgirl! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    beamgirl|1|6|68|really bad week for me running wise but on a happier note i got engaged and had a big birthday so just didnt get a chance to get the runs in but back to the plan for this week|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|5|28.16|209.86|21Km LSR (13 miles). Longest ever. Tough run|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

With the LSR's getting longer, I note a lot of you now talking about hydration and gels etc. so I thought I'd give you the benefit of my tinkering. Last year I tried a number of products, definitely found gels to be of benefit but awful taste/consistency so here's what I use now....

Normal runs - 1 x Nuun tablet in 500 ml of water 90 mins prior to run and water when back from run.

LSR's - 1 x Nuun tablet in 500 ml of water 90 mins prior to run, 1 x Torq gel every 6 miles on LSR (also consume water following gel consumption) and when the run is over I take a 'For Goodness Shakes' recovery drink.

I've no affiliation to any of the above products but have found them to be effective and to taste good but I'm no expert so should you want the 'science' involved you can look them up at.......

www.nuun.com
    www.torqfitness.co.uk
    www.ForGoodnessShakes.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|4|30|113|This week's cross training; assembling flatpack furniture. seriously though my LSR this week caused me a tremendous amount of pain, i probably took it too fast|
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Congrats Beamgirl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spurs101!

Hi all,
    Well done to everyone - great progress here. I've been trying to keep up before committing 100% to doing DCM (havent officially signed up yet)

Questions,
    1. Is it me or the temp/weather but the amount I am sweating is incredible, anything over 4 or 5 miles and especially on LSR is unbelieveable. LSR the other day - I was actually soaked from head to toe.

2. Heart Rate zones, Max I reached when really pushing it was 183, average of most runs is around 163 with LSR slightly lower - is this normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spurs101! wrote: »
    1. Is it me or the temp/weather but the amount I am sweating is incredible, anything over 4 or 5 miles and especially on LSR is unbelieveable. LSR the other day - I was actually soaked from head to toe.

When are you doing your LSRs? I try to get out as early as I can - up for breakfast about 7, out running by 8.30 - so I can beat the heat.

And for everyone who hasn't signed up yet, remember the entry fee goes up this weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

2. Heart Rate zones, Max I reached when really pushing it was 183, average of most runs is around 163 with LSR slightly lower - is this normal ?

My max is about 184 and I try to keep most normal 'easy' runs below 150. 163 would be around your LT (Lactate Threshold or Half marathon pace) which is quite fast.
    I know it can be hard but you should try to keep the normal pace below 160 at least, and as you get faster you will be able to keep the HR even Lower. I remember during last years training when i first got my HRM, I tried to keep the LSR's around the 150 mark and taht seemed to work OK.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it though, the marathon being a long race it is the legs that need to be trained to last longer more so than the heart!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's quite normal during the summer here, it might not be insanely hot, but the high humidity makes it very sweaty going! It's not just you, I was sweating like crazy after only about 2 miles of my LSR on Sunday.

As RayCun said, running early in the morning might be a good option, or alternatively late in the evening. I do quite a few of my midweek runs at 9pm during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Did athletics for about 7 years but gave it up about 5 years ago n havent done a huge lot since other than weights training. Only races were short/medium distance....never tackled anything like a marathon before.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No

How much training do you currently do?

Inconsistant 5 mile jogs every 3-6 days. Planning on getting serious and steeping it up this week though.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Never ran a marathon before so hard to estimate how lon it would take! Dream finishing time is 4 hours.....realisticly might be closer to 4 and a half.

How many days a week can you train?

Planning to follow the hal higdons programme so will be doing 5 days a week

Why are you running this marathon?

Something Ive always wanted to do just for the personal achievement and bragging rights :p Hoping to raise a bit of money for charity too!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

digger2d2 wrote: »
    With the LSR's getting longer, I note a lot of you now talking about hydration and gels etc. so I thought I'd give you the benefit of my tinkering. Last year I tried a number of products, definitely found gels to be of benefit but awful taste/consistency so here's what I use now....

Normal runs - 1 x Nuun tablet in 500 ml of water 90 mins prior to run and water when back from run.

LSR's - 1 x Nuun tablet in 500 ml of water 90 mins prior to run, 1 x Torq gel every 6 miles on LSR (also consume water following gel consumption) and when the run is over I take a 'For Goodness Shakes' recovery drink.

I've no affiliation to any of the above products but have found them to be effective and to taste good but I'm no expert so should you want the 'science' involved you can look them up at.......

www.nuun.com
    www.torqfitness.co.uk
    www.ForGoodnessShakes.com

need to start looking into this
    I was thinking of leaving a bottle of lucozade sport in a ditch but then I thought I should be taking something I will be able to use on race day also.

Where do I go to look for these gels if I dont want to order off the internet as I'll only want 1 or 2 to begin with to settle on the one I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|4|30|113|This week's cross training; assembling flatpack furniture. seriously though my LSR this week caused me a tremendous amount of pain, i probably took it too fast|
    RallyRunner|4|21|86|10 mile LSR. Got on well but pace maybe a little slow. Midweek runs are still the hardest compared to the LSR's. Roll on the step back...|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Congrats Beamgirl on your engagement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

8ofSpades wrote: »
    need to start looking into this
    I was thinking of leaving a bottle of lucozade sport in a ditch but then I thought I should be taking something I will be able to use on race day also.

Where do I go to look for these gels if I dont want to order off the internet as I'll only want 1 or 2 to begin with to settle on the one I like

There's a few places around Dublin and around the country... Holland & Barrett carry a small selection, but any of the specialist running or cycling shops should have a better selection - Wheelworx in Fonthill, Runways on Parnell Street etc.

Try a few different ones and see what works for you, then buying from somewhere like wiggle.co.uk is far more cost efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|4|18|88|+1 circuit. 2 midweek sessions were on the track as my knee was still playing up a bit. Good to get all the sessions in this week, need to keep it up|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    RallyRunner|4|21|86|10 mile LSR. Got on well but pace maybe a little slow. Midweek runs are still the hardest compared to the LSR's. Roll on the step back...|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Ditto on the congrats on your engagement Beamgirl.

Here was my schedule for the week gone
    Welcome any critique as always, trying to keep the HR at 150 for the LSRs and steady runs.

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 3 miles steady in 31m , garmin died so no Avg HR
    Wednesday - 1 hour circuit training
    Thursday - 5 miles, 3 @ PMP should have been 9 min miles, ended up as 8:45, Avg HR 163
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 3 miles steady in 31m Avg HR 156
    Sunday - 7 miles LSR in 1h14m Avg HR 155

At the end of the run on Sunday for the last half mile or so I had a great experience of running in to a man who ran his first marathon at the same time as my dad. They actually ran together as I learned but my dad "lost" them along the way to finish in 3:57ish according to this guy (who finished in 4:05ish). That was in Dublin '83 and they did their second in Dublin in 84. Thats all the marathons my dad did as he had knee trouble and I was never able to find out until now what kind of times my dad did as he passed away a few years ago. His friend that I was talking to on Sunday has completed 42 marathons!!! :eek::eek::eek:

was a great chat

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    michellemuncher|4|18.5|90|Had a nice step back week. Did an 8m lsr which left me soaked and had no water, though I will certainly need some on my next lsr of 14miles! I did 5m at my pmp of 9min mile pace, found it tough but good. Cycled 50m.|
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|4|18|88|+1 circuit. 2 midweek sessions were on the track as my knee was still playing up a bit. Good to get all the sessions in this week, need to keep it up|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

That's a lovely story about meeting your Da's friend and finding out his times, sounds like he would have gone on to do better times. And it's all more meaningful that you are doing your first now. Very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

When you say Speed/Tempo runs, do you mean like sprint 400 metres, then jog 200 metres. Then repeat.

A bit short I normally do 2K @ 10K pace and 1K recover I would not go below 800 @ 5k/3K with 400 recover for marathon training.

• Advertisement

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    michellemuncher|4|18.5|90|Had a nice step back week. Did an 8m lsr which left me soaked and had no water, though I will certainly need some on my next lsr of 14miles! I did 5m at my pmp of 9min mile pace, found it tough but good. Cycled 50m.|
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|5|27|251| Got chased by a mink while running tonight. |

Advertisement