Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

8ofSpades wrote: »
    need to start looking into this
    I was thinking of leaving a bottle of lucozade sport in a ditch but then I thought I should be taking something I will be able to use on race day also.

Where do I go to look for these gels if I dont want to order off the internet as I'll only want 1 or 2 to begin with to settle on the one I like

As xebec says, you can buy small stock from the bike shops (not sure if they stock the above examples) I buy from Wiggle and not sure about Torq but you can buy single tubes of Nuun to try them at about €5 each and there's also a sample box of For Goodness Shakes which has 8 sachets (4 different flavours to try) and comes with a 750 ml bottle as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Yes, first race was the Adidas 5 mile - PB 36.12
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No,
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I am currently aiming for 3 5 mile runs per week (decent pace) and one 10 mile + at whatever pace I can do. Train for GAA team twice a week, Gym - a number of weights and some abs work
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? 3hr 15 mins is the dream time .....Reckon bout 3.40 - 4 hours is a more realistic time
    How many days a week can you train? currently 4 though that can vary on occasion to 5 or 3 depending on work commitments
    Why are you running this marathon?
    Personal challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    As xebec says, you can buy small stock from the bike shops (not sure if they stock the above examples) I buy from Wiggle and not sure about Torq but you can buy single tubes of Nuun to try them at about €5 each and there's also a sample box of For Goodness Shakes which has 8 sachets (4 different flavours to try) and comes with a 750 ml bottle as well..

Snow and Rock in Dundrum has Nuun in various flavours, and they also do individual sachets of For Goodness Shakes. Irishfit in Dun Laoghaire does a wide variety of gels too, and so do most bike shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    rofno|4|18|77|Another stepback week done. Next week 12 mls LSR, my longest one yet!|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|4|21.5|104.5|Into double digits for the first time, felt better doing this run than the 9 miles lsr last week.|
    beamgirl|1|6|68|really bad week for me running wise but on a happier note i got engaged and had a big birthday so just didnt get a chance to get the runs in but back to the plan for this week|
    michellemuncher|4|18.5|90|Had a nice step back week. Did an 8m lsr which left me soaked and had no water, though I will certainly need some on my next lsr of 14miles! I did 5m at my pmp of 9min mile pace, found it tough but good. Cycled 50m.|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|26.57|135.9|the plan for the coming week is over 30 miles...|
    littlebug|4|18||midweek blip and had to abandon midweek run but good 10m lsr on sunday|
    meathcountysec|5|28.16|209.86|21Km LSR (13 miles). Longest ever. Tough run|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|4|18|88|+1 circuit. 2 midweek sessions were on the track as my knee was still playing up a bit. Good to get all the sessions in this week, need to keep it up|
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    digger2d2|4|27|129|step back week ahead for me|
    Shazkea|4|17.2|87.2|Step back week and LSR was Dublin Parkwest 10 km|
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|5|31|121|Back in the saddle this week after a horrendous week last week. Did 11 mile LSR and was delighted with it, the last couple of miles were tough|
    James Howlett|4|30|113|This week's cross training; assembling flatpack furniture. seriously though my LSR this week caused me a tremendous amount of pain, i probably took it too fast|
    RallyRunner|4|21|86|10 mile LSR. Got on well but pace maybe a little slow. Midweek runs are still the hardest compared to the LSR's. Roll on the step back...|
    corked|4|22.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|4|25.4|40.3|12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially|
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    RubyK|5|38|87|Happy with this weeks training, after starting out a bit iffy|
    The_Dazzler|5|27|251| Got chased by a mink while running tonight. |

Slow week as I returned from injury.
    With regard to food during the run, I have tried glucose sweets and gel. I liked the glucose sweets better so will be sticking to those. Just wondering how to fit sweets into small zipped pocket for a marathon!!

Dazzler - you got chased by a mink!! - where are you running :)

Hey,

Ok I have several questions that I want to ask.
    First - What does LSR mean. I haven't looked at the program yet...Have been doing bout on average 22 - 27 miles a week on average.

Second: Is there a website that can provide me with a specific diet for runnning.... I am struggling with that and I think its knocking me back.If I actually have something that I have to follow it would be a lot easier for me.

Third: Ppl are talking bout running with a belt?? What is this, obviously its a specific belt built for marathons, long distance running. Would a platypus be suitable for this or how have ppl found running with that.

Should one bring food for a marathon...eg high energy stuff or should it all be gels and energy drinks.

And for thos ppl who don't drink while running anything more than 5 miles....Mad men,....lol I have to down at least 750 mls to a litre per 10 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

LSR is Long Slow Run - your longest run of the week, usually done at the weekend. 'Slow' because you should be running about a minute per mile slower than you plan to run in the marathon.

A lot of people have trouble eating during a marathon (or with their stomach being upset after eating), but gels and energy drinks are usually easier...

... and while the marathon itself will supply drinks and gels, you'll need some way to keep supplied during your training runs. I 'd rather stick some gels in a pocket or something and stop in a shop for a drink, but if that doesn't suit you, you'll probably want some sort of belt. Whatever works for you...

Cool. And any advice on the diet front? What core work are ppl doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Cool. And any advice on the diet front? What core work are ppl doing?

Well on the diet front, carbohydrates is the main source of energy and then protein, particularly after a run. There is more info posted previously in this thread, here is my input on the basics:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66447502#post66447502

If you are new to all the sciencey stuff behind long distance running I would really recommend you read all you can about it both on the internet and books, magazines etc. Because you need to not only know what to do but why you are doing it.

I have yet to start my core work : (

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

on the subject of LSR, should the small runs be a bit faster than your longer runs? What pace should my 3 miles be this evening?

I ran it about a minute per mile faster than my slower longer run. Is this right, should i be pushing myself to go a bit faster?

Whatever you're comfortable with really. Your shorter runs will naturally be slightly faster than your LSRs, I'd say just go with the flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

William72|||||
    rofno|4|18|77|Another stepback week done. Next week 12 mls LSR, my longest one yet!|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|4|21.5|104.5|Into double digits for the first time, felt better doing this run than the 9 miles lsr last week.|
    beamgirl|1|6|68|really bad week for me running wise but on a happier note i got engaged and had a big birthday so just didnt get a chance to get the runs in but back to the plan for this week|
    michellemuncher|4|18.5|90|Had a nice step back week. Did an 8m lsr which left me soaked and had no water, though I will certainly need some on my next lsr of 14miles! I did 5m at my pmp of 9min mile pace, found it tough but good. Cycled 50m.|
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|4|18||midweek blip and had to abandon midweek run but good 10m lsr on sunday|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|4|18|88|+1 circuit. 2 midweek sessions were on the track as my knee was still playing up a bit. Good to get all the sessions in this week, need to keep it up|
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    Curl52|4|32|180|Got up to 12miles on my LSR, wasn't too bad so was delighted with myself. Was still wrecked that evening though|
    ilovetorun|5|31|121|Back in the saddle this week after a horrendous week last week. Did 11 mile LSR and was delighted with it, the last couple of miles were tough|
    James Howlett|4|30|113|This week's cross training; assembling flatpack furniture. seriously though my LSR this week caused me a tremendous amount of pain, i probably took it too fast|
    RallyRunner|4|21|86|10 mile LSR. Got on well but pace maybe a little slow. Midweek runs are still the hardest compared to the LSR's. Roll on the step back...|
    corked|4|22.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|4|25.4|40.3|12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially|
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

christ this heat is a killer on the runs!
    hydrating like mad during the days - kept going to the water cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

corked wrote: »
    christ this heat is a killer on the runs!
    hydrating like mad during the days - kept going to the water cooler.

Same as that, they're beginning to wonder what's wrong with me in the office between trips to the water cooler and trips to the bathroom ;)

shazkea wrote: »
    [!!

Dazzler - you got chased by a mink!! - where are you running :)

I was running along the Drumshanbo canal about 10:20 PM. Got such a fright when I seen him. To be honest, I was out running too late. It was dark when I finished the run and there is loads of potholes on that road as well as bats. Lovely scenic run during the day though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|4|18|98|good week. First case of bleeding nipples on LSR though! Eek. |
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Curl52|4|32|180|Got up to 12miles on my LSR, wasn't too bad so was delighted with myself. Was still wrecked that evening though|
    Cr17|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

boccy, get some micropore tape and X across them.

Bleeding nipples, black toenails, vomiting on the finish line, pikey poos.... all things I am determined to avoid....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi there -
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
      One race - Dunshaughlin 10k in 54 mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
      No
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
      20 - 22 miles long run of 7/8 with the rest broken up in 3 sessions
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
      I want to complete it!
    • How many days a week can you train?
      4 - 5
    • Why are you running this marathon?
      3.5 months ago I couldn't run 1/2 mile without stopping but now I can run 10k in 49:50! I have made major lifestyle changes due to illness and running this marathon would be a fantastic endorsement of my efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Welcome mrslow! Let the insanity begin ;)

RubyK wrote: »
    Welcome mrslow! Let the insanity begin ;)

Thanks Ruby, here's hoping I survive lol

Do you guys all start out together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Welcome Mr(notso)slow,
    people have joined in the thread at different times since it started but I suppose we're all at similar stages in terms of long runs though pace is very variable:D Some of haven't even registered for DCM yet :o i'm waiting to see how I get on in a half at the end of August and how I cope with the really long runs before committing. (ya I'm a wuss ;)).

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Welcome Mr(notso)slow,
    people have joined in the thread at different times since it started but I suppose we're all at similar stages in terms of long runs though pace is very variable:D Some of haven't even registered for DCM yet :o i'm waiting to see how I get on in a half at the end of August and how I cope with the really long runs before committing. (ya I'm a wuss ;)).

HI Littlebug, What the hell - I'm going for it!

RayCun wrote: »
    boccy, get some micropore tape and X across them.

Bleeding nipples, black toenails, vomiting on the finish line, pikey poos.... all things I am determined to avoid....

Let this to be a warning to the rest of you ;)

Maybe try NipGuards?

Also, for the girls, make sure your sports bras fit right. If they don't, or a seam is rubbing in the wrong place, it WILL make itself known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Holy **** I saw that in the US Office but I thought they were only taking the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Maybe try NipGuards?

Also, for the girls, make sure your sports bras fit right. If they don't, or a seam is rubbing in the wrong place, it WILL make itself known.

+1 on RK's advice. I helped out at the DCM finish line last year and saw quiet a few coming over the line in agony. It was horrific watching some of them and then trying to take the chip off their number wasn't the nicest job!! Oh and a word of caution it wasn't just blokes, I did see a woman in trouble too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Holy **** I saw that in the US Office but I thought they were only taking the piss!

Nope, been there done that lots of times!! My weapon of choice is to cover the nipples in BodyGlide, but if it's particularly hot or wet even this isn't enough and get mild nipple rash... A small bit of it is no big deal, just leads to a little wincing in a hot shower afterwards. Any more is painful!!

For your long runs try different techniques for preventing this and decide what works for you - and fellas, don't wear a cotton t-shirt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

OUCH! Extra sachet of gel will be on board in case it's needed for application rather than consumption.....:eek:

Just wondering - in the total mileage column, when does that start? and at what distance do your nipples normally bleed???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

mrslow wrote: »
    Just wondering - in the total mileage column, when does that start? and at what distance do your nipples normally bleed???

Total Milage - everyone is different.

Some are including their total miles for the year.
    Others are including their total miles since the "official" start to their training.

Personally my total is from when I started my marathon training programme, my total miles for the year are covered in the 1000 mile challenge thread elsewhere.

As for nipples bleeding... I hope to never find out.:)
    For longer runs wear a technical t-shirt, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
    I wear regular t-shirts for shorter runs and do feel the odd bit of nipple chafing but no blood as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

mrslow wrote: »
    and at what distance do your nipples normally bleed???

Zero distance, if you cover them with fabric plasters before the race. (shave the area around of any hair beforehand!)

Advertisement