Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

shazkea wrote: »
    +1 on RK's advice. I helped out at the DCM finish line last year and saw quiet a few coming over the line in agony. It was horrific watching some of them and then trying to take the chip off their number wasn't the nicest job!! Oh and a word of caution it wasn't just blokes, I did see a woman in trouble too.

+1. It is a horribly common thing to see if you are watching the end of race.
    xebec wrote: »
    My weapon of choice is to cover the nipples in BodyGlide, but if it's particularly hot or wet even this isn't enough and get mild nipple rash... A small bit of it is no big deal, just leads to a little wincing in a hot shower afterwards. Any more is painful!!

For your long runs try different techniques for preventing this and decide what works for you - and fellas, don't wear a cotton t-shirt!

There speaks a tough tough man ! Even a little bit is best avoided (I am a wuss pain averse!) - I have been seen the day after a race walking around holding my short in front of me.
    No cotton shirts - especially in summer. Cotton is evil !
    Bodyglide is a good product.
    T
    As for nipples bleeding... I hope to never find out.
    For longer runs wear a technical t-shirt, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
    I wear regular t-shirts for shorter runs and do feel the odd bit of nipple chafing but no blood as yet.

Again - why chance it - get a few tech shirts !
    Zero distance, if you cover them with fabric plasters before the race. (shave the area around of any hair beforehand!)

For what it is worth ....my technique is a small dab of body glide just around the nipple. A wide band of medical tape ( I find plasters do not last ) over this in the form of an X. The ends of the X must extend well beyond the area where you've applied the glide. Then the final layer is body glide or a thin layer of vaseline on top of the tape again not extending to the ends of the X. That way of the tape does not last you still have some protection.

Finally - and most importantly - what every you try, try this out on your training runs. Success is a run where the tape/plaster/whatever is still in place after the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Only came a across this thread today. Been running sice February, and have been gradually building up the mileage.

Regarding the chaffing big fan of the porous tape, for the nips. Discovered the joy of chaffed nips on first truly long run, and now literally won't leave home without it.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
      Couple of races at this stage, longest was the Enniscorthy half marathon in 1:54
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
      No, but I do look forward to seeing red traffic lights
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
      Up to 24 with my LSR at the weekend and 2/3 runs in midweek
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
      3.59.59, or to beat my brother who's in his forties though running about 3 years
    • How many days a week can you train?
      4 at a push
    • Why are you running this marathon?
      Drunken talk over the Christmas, where myself and a friend decided we were going to run Chicago. Left it too late to register, and now its Dublin. Plus could of did with shedding a few pounds
    Foolish question, but how do you go about updating the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hit the quote button, remove the quote tags, and add your details. Welcome to the crew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Copy and paste someone else's entry, and replace with your details, so you get the cell divisions in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

boccy23 wrote: »
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    rofno|4|18|77|Another stepback week done. Next week 12 mls LSR, my longest one yet!|
    The Wexican|4|21|78|Running a 10k road race on Saturday in Ederney in Fermanagh. There was a time bank holidays were just for the drinking|
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|4|18|98|good week. First case of bleeding nipples on LSR though! Eek. |
    brophya2007|4|21.5|104.5|Into double digits for the first time, felt better doing this run than the 9 miles lsr last week.|
    beamgirl|1|6|68|really bad week for me running wise but on a happier note i got engaged and had a big birthday so just didnt get a chance to get the runs in but back to the plan for this week|
    michellemuncher|4|18.5|90|Had a nice step back week. Did an 8m lsr which left me soaked and had no water, though I will certainly need some on my next lsr of 14miles! I did 5m at my pmp of 9min mile pace, found it tough but good. Cycled 50m.|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|26.57|135.9|the plan for the coming week is over 30 miles...|
    littlebug|4|18||midweek blip and had to abandon midweek run but good 10m lsr on sunday|
    meathcountysec|5|28.16|209.86|21Km LSR (13 miles). Longest ever. Tough run|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|4|18|88|+1 circuit. 2 midweek sessions were on the track as my knee was still playing up a bit. Good to get all the sessions in this week, need to keep it up|
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    digger2d2|4|27|129|step back week ahead for me|
    Shazkea|4|17.2|87.2|Step back week and LSR was Dublin Parkwest 10 km|
    Curl52|4|32|180|Got up to 12miles on my LSR, wasn't too bad so was delighted with myself. Was still wrecked that evening though|
    ilovetorun|5|31|121|Back in the saddle this week after a horrendous week last week. Did 11 mile LSR and was delighted with it, the last couple of miles were tough|
    James Howlett|4|30|113|This week's cross training; assembling flatpack furniture. seriously though my LSR this week caused me a tremendous amount of pain, i probably took it too fast|
    RallyRunner|4|21|86|10 mile LSR. Got on well but pace maybe a little slow. Midweek runs are still the hardest compared to the LSR's. Roll on the step back...|
    corked|4|22.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|4|25.4|40.3|12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially|
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    RubyK|5|38|87|Happy with this weeks training, after starting out a bit iffy|
    The_Dazzler|5|27|251| Got chased by a mink while running tonight. |
    /

• Advertisement

William72|||||
    The Wexican|4|21|78|Running a 10k road race on Saturday in Ederney in Fermanagh. There was a time bank holidays were just for the drinking|
    rofno|4|18|77|Another stepback week done. Next week 12 mls LSR, my longest one yet!|
    elvis jones|||||
    brophya2007|4|21.5|104.5|Into double digits for the first time, felt better doing this run than the 9 miles lsr last week.|
    beamgirl|1|6|68|really bad week for me running wise but on a happier note i got engaged and had a big birthday so just didnt get a chance to get the runs in but back to the plan for this week|
    michellemuncher|4|18.5|90|Had a nice step back week. Did an 8m lsr which left me soaked and had no water, though I will certainly need some on my next lsr of 14miles! I did 5m at my pmp of 9min mile pace, found it tough but good. Cycled 50m.|
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|4|18||midweek blip and had to abandon midweek run but good 10m lsr on sunday|
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|4|18|88|+1 circuit. 2 midweek sessions were on the track as my knee was still playing up a bit. Good to get all the sessions in this week, need to keep it up|
    D Chief|4|22.25|48|Good week. I am on holidays in Kilkee, Co. Clare last week and next. Weather is so-so but nice place for running. Followed the week 6 plan with 10 mile run this morning.|
    Curl52|4|32|180|Got up to 12miles on my LSR, wasn't too bad so was delighted with myself. Was still wrecked that evening though|
    ilovetorun|5|31|121|Back in the saddle this week after a horrendous week last week. Did 11 mile LSR and was delighted with it, the last couple of miles were tough|
    James Howlett|4|30|113|This week's cross training; assembling flatpack furniture. seriously though my LSR this week caused me a tremendous amount of pain, i probably took it too fast|
    RallyRunner|4|21|86|10 mile LSR. Got on well but pace maybe a little slow. Midweek runs are still the hardest compared to the LSR's. Roll on the step back...|
    corked|4|22.35|75.65|Missed one of my short runs but made up for it on my 12.55 miles LSR with one of the local guys. Got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration - the heat was a killer! Need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7 more details of my plan here|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|4|25.4|40.3|12.5 Mile LSR - felt realy good until 10 miles but legs very tired for last 2. Shuffeled home the last one especially|
    Milosh|4|21|101|Good week for me. I enjoyed the LSR but am looking forward to the step back next wekend|
    RubyK|5|38|87|Happy with this weeks training, after starting out a bit iffy|

You need to remove the quote tags too, otherwise the table can't be quoted by the next person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|3|18.20|105.20|Going for LSR this evening, hoping for 16.5 mies. Next week I'm on hols, so it will be low milage|

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Running a 10k road race on Saturday in Ederney in Fermanagh. There was a time bank holidays were just for the drinking

Welcome Amigo, You know now that there is no backing out, otherwise no amount of tape could cover up the shame reeking from your every pore :p Good luck in the 10k hope it's not as muggy as it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

=RubyK;67199707]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|3|18.20|105.20|Going for LSR this evening, hoping for 16.5 mies. Next week I'm on hols, so it will be low milage|
    mrslow|2|11.5|11.5|Going for LSR tomorrow 10 miles, lost distance this week with the wrong type of new runner - lots of catching up to do|

I'm just amazed by how many people are on this - here's hoping most of us make it to the start line, and the finish line, in one piece.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm just amazed by how many people are on this - here's hoping most of us make it to the start line, and the finish line, in one piece.

Agreed RayCun, Is everybody going for a knees up post finish line?;)

Here's a problem, I've signed up for the Lakes 10k which is about 4 weeks prior to DCM and based on Hal Higdon I should be running 16 miles (I think) that day, for obvious reasons doing my lsr the day before or after won't work - any ideas????

mrslow wrote: »
    Agreed RayCun, Is everybody going for a knees up post finish line?;)

Hopefully, the best tasting pint in the world is the one after you finish :)

Hopefully, the best tasting pint in the world is the one after you finish :)

Where are we going? I haven't been in a pub since December and can't drink more than 3/4 bottles but I'm damned if I'm not going that day!!!:D

Up to yourselves! Last year it was the hotel where the pacers were staying.

Up to yourselves! Last year it was the hotel where the pacers were staying.

Let's put it to the vote - My vote goes to anywhere with seats:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

mrslow wrote: »
    Is everybody going for a knees up post finish line?;)

Knees up? It'll be at least 5 days post-marathon before you can lift your knees!

Peckham wrote: »
    Knees up? It'll be at least 5 days post-marathon before you can lift your knees!

I'm a man of pure optimism, I will cross that finish line, I will do it with some amount of style/composure and by God I will drink a pint maybe even two!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Just signed up for marathon last night and so feel as if I can ad my name to this thread now!

Have doen a half before, doing the half in Pheonix park in Sept but as its my first marathon, still have plenty of work to do! Average about 20-25 miles per week so hope to up this a bit as weeks progress. Hoping for a time under 4 hours, will try add my name to table shorthly!

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Just signed up for marathon last night and so feel as if I can ad my name to this thread now!

Have doen a half before, doing the half in Pheonix park in Sept but as its my first marathon, still have plenty of work to do! Average about 20-25 miles per week so hope to up this a bit as weeks progress. Hoping for a time under 4 hours, will try add my name to table shorthly!

Welcome Qwerty, and where do you stand on the social aspect of the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Think Il be able for a pint afterwards, although I might need a straw!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|5|27|251| Got chased by a mink while running tonight.
    JEmily|4|11|21| Am only just after slotting in from last Saturday, will update this after tomorrow's 7 miler tomorrow, just wanted to get used to adding to this board|

=JEmily;67204740]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    JEmily|4|11|21| Am only just after slotting in from last Saturday, will update this after tomorrow's 7 miler tomorrow, just wanted to get used to adding to this board|
    Mrslow|3|21.5|21.5| 10 mile LSR complete! Lots of rain but went well|

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    JEmily|4|18|28| Finished 7 miles today, felt good apart from getting soaked, rain was nice for first mile then i started to feel very heavy:)|
    Mrslow|3|21.5|21.5| 10 mile LSR complete! Lots of rain but went well|

Is there anyone here near Dublin 15 that would be interested in meeting for the longer runs towards the end of training?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

[=RubyK;67199707]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    |Perkina3|3|15|200| I am in a stinking mood atm. I went out and did my first 2 runs pretty decently.. 5 miles and 8 miles. I was feeling stiff after not doing anything the week before cuz of work but went to do my LSR today and the tendons around my knee gave me an awful lot of trouble so I had to stop after 2.6 miles. :(.... What do I do when this happens cuz I think I am falling behind in my training cuz of the way the last couple of weeks have gone. Particularly if I want to run it in 3.30. On the plus side... did the 8 mile in 61 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

RubyK wrote: »
    William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    Perkina3|3|15|200|I am in a stinking mood right now. Had a poor week and had to pull out of my LSR after 2.6 miles cuz of very tight tendons round my right knee.. I feel like I am going backwards with training cuz I cudn train with a 90 hour week and jus a 5,8 and 2.6 miler this week. I have a holiday coming up and a week training with the army so I am running out of time :(|
    l

Just booked my flight to Edinburgh. 2:55 PM

An extra incentive to finish under 4 hours.

JEmily;67218814]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    Cr17|||||
    JEmily|4|18|28| Finished 7 miles today, felt good apart from getting soaked, rain was nice for first mile then i started to feel very heavy:)|
    Mrslow|4|24|24| 10 mile LSR complete! Lots of rain but went well|

Everyone's at least 1/3 of the way through now! Give yourself a pat on the back, but there's still a very long way to go.

Week 7
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|6 m|3 m|rest|12 m|cross

Starting to get serious now - 6 miles midweek and 12 miles at the weekend. Stepping up the mileage again, so no tweaks this week. We're starting to get to a stage now where slower runners will be on their feet for 2+ hours with the LSR, so having a source of hydration is very strongly recommended and this is something you need to plan for.

Week 8
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|6 m w/2 @ PMP|3 m|rest|13 m|cross

Another stretch this week - and another landmark! 13 miles - half marathon distance if you finish with a little loop around your garden. The midweek workout I want you to do this week is to do the middle two miles of the 6-miler at PMP, so that's 2 easy, 2 PMP, 2 easy. Nothing too difficult, but again just to get the legs used to moving at PMP.

• Advertisement

Another week down - how you doin' ? :)
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|||||

And the discussion topic for this week - we are 1/3 of the way though. How are you finding things so far overall? Any questions? Has anything come up for you that you wouldn't have picked up on otherwise?

Advertisement