Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    elvis jones|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|3|18|86|Missed one session this week, but not bad considering I was on holiday. Not really up for run tonight but did 8 miles. And the Dubs beat Tyrone, so that makes it a good week.:D|
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|||||

6 weeks in, I'm happy with how it is going. Still no clue about pace, I really just run as I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|32.6|168.5|Very happy with this week's running, both the 7 PMP miles midweek and the 17 mile LSR went well|
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|3|18|86|Missed one session this week, but not bad considering I was on holiday. Not really up for run tonight but did 8 miles. And the Dubs beat Tyrone, so that makes it a good week.:D|
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

[QUOTE=
    And the discussion topic for this week - we are 1/3 of the way though. How are you finding things so far overall? Any questions? Has anything come up for you that you wouldn't have picked up on otherwise?[/QUOTE]

My only problem at the moment is finding a good long stretch of road where the motorists don't try to kill me for my longer runs,I ran from Maynooth through Dunboyne to Clonsilla on Saturday and had my life flash before me about 100 times along the way. Really enjoyed the run though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    ...I ran from Maynooth through Dunboyne to Clonsilla ...

Have you tried running along the canal? I think there was a thread in the main forum about canal runs in that area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|32.6|168.5|Very happy with this week's running, both the 7 PMP miles midweek and the 17 mile LSR went well|
    littlebug|5|24|142|delighted with 12 mile lsr but need to carry more water with me|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|||||

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Have you tried running along the canal? I think there was a thread in the main forum about canal runs in that area...

Thanks Ray - I thought about it but i prefer running on the road plus it will better prepare my knees and ankles for the long runs. I'm going to work a loop up around the industrial estates north of Blanchardstown but from my house up and back only gives me 13 miles and I don't want to cover the same ground twice on one run if that makes sense. Maybe if I explain myself to the Gardai they'll close off the M3 for me for a few hours each week;)

=littlebug;67236354]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    littlebug|5|24|142|delighted with 12 mile lsr but need to carry more water with me|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|4|23.75|23.75|Just getting the hang of this now|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I ran from Maynooth through Dunboyne to Clonsilla on Saturday and had my life flash before me about 100 times along the way. Really enjoyed the run though:D

That's a busy old road all right. Have you thought of running towards Kilcock and then on the old N4 towards Longwood/Enfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|4|21|150|step-back week for me, I'm probably running my shorter runs too fast but will ease that off now the lsr is heading for 14 this week|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Right so I need to say a couple things here lol...There are ppl from the Kilcock/Maynooth area on this!! Huh who knew... I am from Kilcock!

Second, Mr. Slow... I woud advise you NOT to run the Maynooth to Kilcock road if you value your life. I did it a couple years back and nearly got killed.... its a very dangerous road. Now a good road/circuit to do is the Maynooth/Intel/Celbridge circuit..... Running from maynooth to Intel then turning right at the round about and crossing over the flyovers etc and then turning right at apple green petrol station and heading back from maynooth by crofts. Its about 8 miles in the circuit (give or take) and for your long LSR you could do one and add a bit on

And I have to get into the habit of carrying water with me...Did an 8 mile last thursday which screwed me for the weekend...Was still feeling the effects on Sunday!!! and also I have found I need a training buddy cuz the long runs I am beginning to struggle with when running on my own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Anybody doing Tulfarris 10 mile on Saturday next? Seems thats its pretty hilly from other posters but good enduracnce practice if nothing else!!

Just back from 7 mile run, feeling good and confident for the weekend, then its hols for a week where the training will suffer a little Im afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|4|22|90|Missed the 10 LSR last week so did it this weekend instead in 1:36:11|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    digger2d2|4|21|150|step-back week for me, I'm probably running my shorter runs too fast but will ease that off now the lsr is heading for 14 this week|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

Im finding it a bit draining at the moment, feel tired a lot and dont seem to have a huge desire for it :( but hoping that if i just keep at it it will come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|4|22|90|Missed the 10 LSR last week so did it this weekend instead in 1:36:11|
    michellemuncher|4|27|117|Did LSR of 14m in 2 and half hours. Cycled 45m and did lots of walking. Knees not so good, but feeling fresh.|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

I am happy with this week though I upped my weekly mileage by too much. The lsr went well, I carried a bottle with me which I don't like but I like even less being really thirsty. And it paid off as I felt good after it, except for my knees, which started to really bug me on the last mile. To mrslow or anyone else, look after you knees, if they go, it is over. Run on soft ground as much as possible and take coming down hills gently. I never had any injuries till I ran the half marathon in Connemara in April where I bounded down the hills really fast and they've never been the same since. frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|4|20|124.5|Step back week for me.|
    michellemuncher|4|27|117|Did LSR of 14m in 2 and half hours. Cycled 45m and did lots of walking. Knees not so good, but feeling fresh.|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

All going well so far, nothing much to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|4|23|147|Happy with this weeks training, skipped ahead a week with LSR, so did 12 miles which went well.|
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|4|23|147|Happy with this weeks training, skipped ahead a week with LSR, so did 12 miles which went well.|
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|1|6|143.05|Disappointed that I miscalculated my last LSR (short). Away on hols for a few days this week, will mean no running til Sat evening.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

That's a busy old road all right. Have you thought of running towards Kilcock and then on the old N4 towards Longwood/Enfield?

I'm not familiar with that road but I'll check it out, thanks!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Right so I need to say a couple things here lol...There are ppl from the Kilcock/Maynooth area on this!! Huh who knew... I am from Kilcock!

Second, Mr. Slow... I woud advise you NOT to run the Maynooth to Kilcock road if you value your life. I did it a couple years back and nearly got killed.... its a very dangerous road. Now a good road/circuit to do is the Maynooth/Intel/Celbridge circuit..... Running from maynooth to Intel then turning right at the round about and crossing over the flyovers etc and then turning right at apple green petrol station and heading back from maynooth by crofts. Its about 8 miles in the circuit (give or take) and for your long LSR you could do one and add a bit on

And I have to get into the habit of carrying water with me...Did an 8 mile last thursday which screwed me for the weekend...Was still feeling the effects on Sunday!!! and also I have found I need a training buddy cuz the long runs I am beginning to struggle with when running on my own!

Thanks Perkina, I'll look into that. I bought a two bottle holder with pouch and it's great. I'm sure we could get a few bodies together towards the end of training for a group LSR?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Quite a good idea actually - if there are a few of you in the same area (at a similar sort of pace), it is well worthwhile meeting up to do your LSR together, if nothing else, it's a bit of extra motivation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|22|124|Did 10 miles PMP on saturday rather than a LSR. It felt really good to complete a long run at a decent pace. Back to a proper LSR next week though |
    RubyK|1|6|143.05|Disappointed that I miscalculated my last LSR (short). Away on hols for a few days this week, will mean no running til Sat evening.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

Training is going really well at the moment. I'm beginning to believe that I can do this! Funnily, Tuesday's 3 mile run always seems the toughest of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|18|104|I'm over the 100 mile marker on the training plan. Happy days.|
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|22|124|Did 10 miles PMP on saturday rather than a LSR. It felt really good to complete a long run at a decent pace. Back to a proper LSR next week though |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

I'm finding some of the midweek runs tougher than the weekend LSR's. I find it easier to run on a route I haven't used before at the weekend, must be something with having lots of new sights to distract me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|3|19|117|Tough LSR. Had an energy drink which didn't really agree. Also have a back twinge and an ankle twinge. 2+ hours made for hard going.|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|18|104|I'm over the 100 mile marker on the training plan. Happy days.|
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

1/3 of the way in and the feeling is good. The actual goal of training for a marathon is wild. Great tp tell folk when running or just chatting!
    Found the step up to 12 miles tough but the body was maybe not in great shape to start with. Will take care of it this week before 13 mile LSR next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|4|24|101|12 miles LSR out west this past weekend with rain and hills to contend with. Once I got going each mile split was within 30 secs. Need to address hydration now though|
    boccy|3|19|117|Tough LSR. Had an energy drink which didn't really agree. Also have a back twinge and an ankle twinge. 2+ hours made for hard going.|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    corked|3|30.9|106.55| still times are back but struggling with hydration. covered 14.2 miles on the LSR Friday morning.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

My longest run yet! 12 miles and a happy but rain sodden rofno. Aerobically I was under no stress during run but legs & hips were tired & sore for last mile or so. Still, delighted I didn't collaspe in a heap.

This weeks discovery is that I can remove technical T-shirt, squeeze out the rainwater and put it back on without breaking stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

My only problem at the moment is finding a good long stretch of road where the motorists don't try to kill me for my longer runs,I ran from Maynooth through Dunboyne to Clonsilla on Saturday and had my life flash before me about 100 times along the way. Really enjoyed the run though:D

Hate this too - did my LSR fri morning to avoid traffic on the country roads, nearly got hot by a bread van on mile 13! I would'nt mind if it were mile 1 but when i had only another mile to do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

One other question...... Anyone from Cork on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|4|24|101|12 miles LSR out west this past weekend with rain and hills to contend with. Once I got going each mile split was within 30 secs. Need to address hydration now though|
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|5|31.83|241.69|13.6 mile LSR. Step back week next week. All going well so far.|
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    corked|3|30.9|106.55| still times are back but struggling with hydration. covered 14.2 miles on the LSR Friday morning.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|5|31.83|241.69|13.6 mile LSR. Step back week next week. All going well so far.|
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|3|22.6|63|Did 10 miles of the Kilkee half marathon route as lsr only to discover its cancelled due to lack of numbers .... pity as it an amazing run out the Kilkee triathlon route|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

Did 10 miles of the Kilkee half marathon route as lsr only to discover its cancelled due to lack of numbers .... pity as it an amazing run out the Kilkee triathlon route

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    Dave_|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |4|31.5|152.5|Only got 4 runs done last week but thrilled with my 14 mile LSR|
    James Howlett|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|3|22.6|63|Did 10 miles of the Kilkee half marathon route as lsr only to discover its cancelled due to lack of numbers .... pity as it an amazing run out the Kilkee triathlon route|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

I used a gel for the first time during my 14 mile LSR and found it really beneficial. The taste was yuk and the sensation taking it was weird but it really spurred me on. Def need water to wash it down! I think I got the hydration right as well as I went out to run 13 miles and threw in an extra mile for good measure :D I can now actually see myself crossing the finishing line ;)

=rofno1;67245657]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|4|23.75|23.75|Ankles still hurt in the morning after my 10 miler but are fine within 10 mins of moving around - going for 12 miles on Sat:D|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|4|18|28|Am looking forward to getting stuck in this week, last week was nice and easy, but am looking forward to 12 miler this weekend, my first time ever...i ate for Ireland the weekend so have plenty of fat now:)|
    Mrslow|4|23.75|23.75|Ankles still hurt in the morning after my 10 miler but are fine within 10 mins of moving around - going for 12 miles on Sat:D|

Advertisement