Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

JEmily, can you go back quote mrslow entry and repost? You seem to have lost a few of us along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|4|24|101|12 miles LSR out west this past weekend with rain and hills to contend with. Once I got going each mile split was within 30 secs. Need to address hydration now though|
    boccy|3|19|117|Tough LSR. Had an energy drink which didn't really agree. Also have a back twinge and an ankle twinge. 2+ hours made for hard going.|
    brophya2007|4|20|124.5|Step back week for me.|
    beamgirl|4|22|90|Missed the 10 LSR last week so did it this weekend instead in 1:36:11|
    michellemuncher|4|27|117|Did LSR of 14m in 2 and half hours. Cycled 45m and did lots of walking. Knees not so good, but feeling fresh.|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|32.6|168.5|Very happy with this week's running, both the 7 PMP miles midweek and the 17 mile LSR went well|
    littlebug|5|24|142|delighted with 12 mile lsr but need to carry more water with me|
    meathcountysec|5|31.83|241.69|13.6 mile LSR. Step back week next week. All going well so far.|
    DigiJem|4|23|147|Happy with this weeks training, skipped ahead a week with LSR, so did 12 miles which went well.|
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|3|18|86|Missed one session this week, but not bad considering I was on holiday. Not really up for run tonight but did 8 miles. And the Dubs beat Tyrone, so that makes it a good week.:D|
    digger2d2|4|21|150|step-back week for me, I'm probably running my shorter runs too fast but will ease that off now the lsr is heading for 14 this week|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |4|31.5|152.5|Only got 4 runs done last week but thrilled with my 14 mile LSR|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|18|104|I'm over the 100 mile marker on the training plan. Happy days.|
    corked|3|30.9|106.55| still times are back but struggling with hydration. covered 14.2 miles on the LSR Friday morning.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|3|22.6|63|Did 10 miles of the Kilkee half marathon route as lsr only to discover its cancelled due to lack of numbers .... pity as it an amazing run out the Kilkee triathlon route|
    Milosh|4|22|124|Did 10 miles PMP on saturday rather than a LSR. It felt really good to complete a long run at a decent pace. Back to a proper LSR next week though |
    RubyK|1|6|143.05|Disappointed that I miscalculated my last LSR (short). Away on hols for a few days this week, will mean no running til Sat evening.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|4|18|28|Am looking forward to getting stuck in this week, last week was nice and easy, but am looking forward to 12 miler this weekend, my first time ever...i ate for Ireland the weekend so have plenty of fat nowsmile.gif|
    Mrslow|4|23.75|23.75|Just getting the hang of this now|

Think Mr.Slow will have to put in his last comment though, hope this is right...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|4|24|101|12 miles LSR out west this past weekend with rain and hills to contend with. Once I got going each mile split was within 30 secs. Need to address hydration now though|
    boccy|3|19|117|Tough LSR. Had an energy drink which didn't really agree. Also have a back twinge and an ankle twinge. 2+ hours made for hard going.|
    beamgirl|4|22|90|Missed the 10 LSR last week so did it this weekend instead in 1:36:11|
    michellemuncher|4|27|117|Did LSR of 14m in 2 and half hours. Cycled 45m and did lots of walking. Knees not so good, but feeling fresh.|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|32.6|168.5|Very happy with this week's running, both the 7 PMP miles midweek and the 17 mile LSR went well|
    littlebug|5|24|142|delighted with 12 mile lsr but need to carry more water with me|
    meathcountysec|5|31.83|241.69|13.6 mile LSR. Step back week next week. All going well so far.|
    DigiJem|4|23|147|Happy with this weeks training, skipped ahead a week with LSR, so did 12 miles which went well.|
    8ofSpades|||||
    D Chief|3|18|86|Missed one session this week, but not bad considering I was on holiday. Not really up for run tonight but did 8 miles. And the Dubs beat Tyrone, so that makes it a good week.:D|
    digger2d2|4|21|150|step-back week for me, I'm probably running my shorter runs too fast but will ease that off now the lsr is heading for 14 this week|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |4|31.5|152.5|Only got 4 runs done last week but thrilled with my 14 mile LSR|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|18|104|I'm over the 100 mile marker on the training plan. Happy days.|
    corked|3|30.9|106.55| still times are back but struggling with hydration. covered 14.2 miles on the LSR Friday morning.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|3|22.6|63|Did 10 miles of the Kilkee half marathon route as lsr only to discover its cancelled due to lack of numbers .... pity as it an amazing run out the Kilkee triathlon route|
    Milosh|4|22|124|Did 10 miles PMP on saturday rather than a LSR. It felt really good to complete a long run at a decent pace. Back to a proper LSR next week though |
    RubyK|1|6|143.05|Disappointed that I miscalculated my last LSR (short). Away on hols for a few days this week, will mean no running til Sat evening.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|4|18|28|Am looking forward to getting stuck in this week, last week was nice and easy, but am looking forward to 12 miler this weekend, my first time ever...i ate for Ireland the weekend so have plenty of fat nowsmile.gif|
    Mrslow|4|23.75|23.75|Ankles still hurt in the morning after my 10 miler but are fine within 10 mins of moving around - going for 12 miles on Sat :D|

Think that's it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    Dave_|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|5|30|143|I'll post comments seperately later, I have mixed feelings on the LSRs...|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    Mrslow|4|23.75|23.75|Ankles still hurt in the morning after my 10 miler but are fine within 10 mins of moving around - going for 12 miles on Sat :D|

Can I suggest that when updating our entries that we highlight our own each time? Like mine above.
    I am interested to read each poster's update but sometimes have to search up and down the names before finding the new entry.
    How do you guys n gals feel about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Can I suggest that when updating our entries that we highlight our own each time? Like mine above.
    I am interested to read each poster's update but sometimes have to search up and down the names before finding the new entry.

Will the new poster not have to double back then to remove the bold version of the previous entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

thats a good idea as I find myself having the same problem too.

On another note I am finding the long slow runs strangely long and slow and find myself getting bored after an hour or so (once I have the rest of my life and the country sorted out in my head!!)

Can anyone recommend some interesting pod casts. Not hugely interested in listening to music but wouldn't mind listening to some running or triathlon podcasts or maybe something involving Irish history .... anything interesting at all

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some interesting pod casts. Not hugely interested in listening to music but wouldn't mind listening to some running or triathlon podcasts or maybe something involving Irish history .... anything interesting at all

I always listen to music and am starting to get a little bored so podcasts are a great idea. (kicks himself for not thinking of this sooner... ouch)

Mrslow yes the next poster would have to "unbold" the previous entry but that's as simple as click, click done.

I always listen to music and am starting to get a little bored so podcasts are a great idea. (kicks himself for not thinking of this sooner... ouch)

Mrslow yes the next poster would have to "unbold" the previous entry but that's as simple as click, click done.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

podcasts are great, I listen to them on most runs
    There's an Irish history podcast being recorded, so far only has a few episodes up.
    iTunes U has lots of great podcasts, I've been listening to
    The Civil War and Reconstruction Era, 1845-1877 - which is very interesting. Its just a recording of a lecture series, but the lecturer is very good
    Radiolabs is sciency, a good mix of shorter and longer episodes.
    Mark Kermode's film review show is very good, worth digging out the Sex and the City 2 review
    and the Guardian's football podcasts will be starting up again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

RayCun wrote: »
    podcasts are great, I listen to them on most runs
    There's an Irish history podcast being recorded, so far only has a few episodes up.
    iTunes U has lots of great podcasts, I've been listening to
    The Civil War and Reconstruction Era, 1845-1877 - which is very interesting. Its just a recording of a lecture series, but the lecturer is very good
    Radiolabs is sciency, a good mix of shorter and longer episodes.
    Mark Kermode's film review show is very good, worth digging out the Sex and the City 2 review
    and the Guardian's football podcasts will be starting up again next week

cheers - just what I'm looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

took a gel on my LSR yesterday for the first time with disastrous consequences. It was an isotonic one

stomach cramps all last night with all that goes with it if you know what I mean...

stomach is still a bit dodgy today

got a selection of 4 different types in Snow & Rock in Dundrum so hopefully the others will agree with me a bit more.

Also having IT band problems so will have to try and find somewhere soft to run on for the next few days.

will post my times later.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Yep, good idea. It would make reading the updates much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

8ofSpades wrote: »
    Also having IT band problems so will have to try and find somewhere soft to run on for the next few days.

I'm sure this is a silly question but that is IT band problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

William72|||||
    The Wexican|5|23|101|Ran a 10k race on Saturday, and have done in my left ankle, thought with a bit of rest it might improve, but no sign yet. Probably head to the physio tomorrow, but looks like at best, this week will be a complete write off|
    Dave_|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|5|30|143|I'll post comments seperately later, I have mixed feelings on the LSRs...|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

8ofSpades wrote: »
    took a gel on my LSR yesterday for the first time with disastrous consequences. It was an isotonic one

stomach cramps all last night with all that goes with it if you know what I mean...
    Not fond of isotonic gels myself, they cause similar results for me. :(

Best to find that out now though rather than on DCM day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

William72|||||
    The Wexican|5|23|101|Ran a 10k race on Saturday, and have done in my left ankle, thought with a bit of rest it might improve, but no sign yet. Probably head to the physio tomorrow, but looks like at best, this week will be a complete write off|
    Dave_|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Shazkea|0|0||Another frigging week off with injury :(|
    Curl52|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Refusing to take myself off the table yet as am determined to do this!

This week will be cross training but what do people recommend when I can get back running (hopefully next week):
    1) start where I left off on the plan
    2) try and slot in to where I should be
    3) any other ideas?

Ease back into it, I would do the stepback week (week 5) when you go back before going fully back into the plan. That's pretty much what I did when I missed about 2 weeks at this stage last year with a hamstring problem.

shazkea wrote: »
    Refusing to take myself off the table yet as am determined to do this!

This week will be cross training but what do people recommend when I can get back running (hopefully next week):
    1) start where I left off on the plan
    2) try and slot in to where I should be
    3) any other ideas?

Bad luck there Shazkea, hopefully something trivial!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|1|10|64.9|Only managed my lsr last week. Hope to get a full week in this week|
    The Wexican|5|23|101|Ran a 10k race on Saturday, and have done in my left ankle, thought with a bit of rest it might improve, but no sign yet. Probably head to the physio tomorrow, but looks like at best, this week will be a complete write off|[/B]
    Dave_|||||
    8ofSpades|||||
    Curl52|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

It’s been a truly awful first 6 weeks for me training wise – a combination of lots of real-life issues plus injury (sore knee which I’m still watching closely) has meant that at this stage I’ve only done about 62% of my planned miles. At this stage on the half marathon training plan I had done 106%.
    But I’m not going to beat myself up about it. There was absolutely nothing that I could do about it – sometimes running has to take a back seat. Positives are that I managed to keep up with my lsr’s and completed the 5 mile in a time I’m proud of. Injury permitting I should now be able to get back to regular and proper training starting with 28 Miles pencilled in for this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72 wrote: »

It’s been a truly awful first 6 weeks for me training wise – a combination of lots of real-life issues plus injury (sore knee which I’m still watching closely) has meant that at this stage I’ve only done about 62% of my planned miles. At this stage on the half marathon training plan I had done 106%.
    But I’m not going to beat myself up about it. There was absolutely nothing that I could do about it – sometimes running has to take a back seat. Positives are that I managed to keep up with my lsr’s and completed the 5 mile in a time I’m proud of. Injury permitting I should now be able to get back to regular and proper training starting with 28 Miles pencilled in for this week.
    PMA William72
    Sometimes your running has to become less of a priority and as frustrating (and I really know how you feel) as it may feel you just have to accept the situation. Enjoy the time you do get to go out. Like you said dont beat yourself up over it.

Well done, keep positive and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

ilovetorun wrote: »
    PMA William72
    Sometimes your running has to become less of a priority and as frustrating (and I really know how you feel) as it may feel you just have to accept the situation. Enjoy the time you do get to go out. Like you said dont beat yourself up over it.

Well done, keep positive and good luck :)

Thanks for the support ilovetorun - appreciate that and good to hear from someone who's had similar experience... I did have to Google PMA though :rolleyes:

Did my 7 mile stepback LSR on Monday and a lovely 3 miler today at lunchtime - reckon thats the first run I've really really enjoyed in months - back on track!

man it's tough doing some of the longer runs mid week.
    At least there's only about 3months of this left...:D

On the other hand I did enjoy listening to a podcast this evening so thanks again for the suggestion.

William72|1|10|64.9|Only managed my lsr last week. Hope to get a full week in this week|
    The Wexican|5|23|101|Ran a 10k race on Saturday, and have done in my left ankle, thought with a bit of rest it might improve, but no sign yet. Probably head to the physio tomorrow, but looks like at best, this week will be a complete write off|[/B]
    Dave_|||||
    8ofSpades|3|21|109|my 12 mile ended at 11 due to knee trouble, combined with my gel "issue" it wasnt my best LSR ever|
    Curl52|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Tuesday: 6 miles easy, felt like I could run forever
    Thursday: 4 miles easy
    BH Monday: 11 miles, knee was slightly niggly and got worse as I went on, last mile was a real struggle. Decided to walk from 11 miles as I thought 1 mile less was better than doing myself damage. Took a gel at the 6 mile mark, tasted horrible and did not agree with me at all. Not my best LSR ever but lessons learned. I think I went too hard as well but I just felt so good for the first 7-8 miles I didnt think it would be a problem later on.

Discussion Topic:
    I never thought I could run a 6 mile easy midweek run without much perceived effort.
    And thats some good advice from rainbow, get used to the gels now if you are planning on using them, you dont want to go through what I did on race day. My stomach was not right for 2 days :eek:

ilovetorun wrote: »
    I'm sure this is a silly question but that is IT band problems?
    no such thing as a illy question, we are all hear to learn, didnt know what it was myself until it started giving me jip, learned pretty quickly then
    RayCun wrote: »

thats a good link raycun, didnt know that bowlegedness was a cause.
    I'm ever so slightly bow legged I think. I cant cross my legs, as in one leg over the other knee, for instance so I reckon that could be my root cause. I'm going to look in to some stretches specifically for this I think as its happened to me on both knees now, both after races in the phoenix park strangely enough...

[QUOTE= Took a gel at the 6 mile mark, tasted horrible and did not agree with me at all. Not my best LSR ever but lessons learned. I think I went too hard as well but I just felt so good for the first 7-8 miles I didnt think it would be a problem later on.

Discussion Topic:
    I never thought I could run a 6 mile easy midweek run without much perceived effort.
    And thats some good advice from rainbow, get used to the gels now if you are planning on using them, you dont want to go through what I did on race day. My stomach was not right for 2 days :eek:[/QUOTE]

I use Isogel without caffeine and I find them great, no water required and they are quite light and easy to take.

mrslow wrote: »
    I use Isogel without caffeine and I find them great, no water required and they are quite light and easy to take.

This shows just how much things can vary between individuals in terms of what suits you. :) I know that I have my own rules for gels: no caffeine, no isotonics, fruit flavours only, but after that pretty much anything goes, with a slight preference for thicker gels (Gu/Powerbar gels).

Anyone have a good route for their 20 miler?

I've just realised it starts at 9am????? I do all my running in the evening after a days hydration and food! Panic Stations:mad: Any suggestions?

three miles up to Phoenix Park, run around one side, down the road, up the road, back the other side, and home again. Probably.
    The good thing about a Garmin is that I can wander around without a clear plan and know I'll do at least the distance.
    The bad thing is that I sometimes wander around, then realise that I have x miles left to do but I'm x + y miles from home. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    I've just realised it starts at 9am????? I do all my running in the evening after a days hydration and food! Panic Stations:mad: Any suggestions?
    You have between now and October to work out what works out well for you as a solid breakfast that you can stomach at 6-6.30am. :)

(my suggestion: porridge with banana and/or dried fruit, bagel, cup of rocket fuel-strength coffee)

Advertisement